Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What is your guy's feeling about "comicfury"
Furwerk studio at 2:03PM, May 4, 2020
(offline)
I just sort of left Comicfury, and I feel kind of disappointed by the place. I was looking for an extra site to post my comic for maximum exposure, I joined and started posting in their forums, I even tried to share some ideas but seems to attract people with a very dim world view, a lot of doom and gloom. Along with that they seem very stuck in the past, never really moving past Tolkien in the Fantasy Genre for example despite the changed said genre gone through.

They also seem kind of, like a political hivemind and I am afraid if my comic rubs someone the wrong way, TOS or no, I would be kicked off.

I am wondering if it is just me, am I imagining things. Sorry to post this, but the place kind of got me down after having a silly kid fantasy ideas being turned into “blood, guts and gore”, not once but twice, and needed to “vent” in a way.

Thank you for your time.
Genejoke at 3:13PM, May 4, 2020
(online)
People won't always see eye to eye, but thats's they way of things. As for comic fury I left there a long time ago for a number of reasons, the hivemind type thing was one of them. Don't let it get you down.
damehelsing at 3:21PM, May 4, 2020
(offline)
I post my comic there but I don't really meddle with the forums. I thought about it but the way it looks is a turn off for me (I'm also forum shy) but I can see why you would want to leave the forums.

Gloom and doom is totally a turn off and then getting your visions twisted into something it's not meant to be is another huge turn off.
El Cid at 3:44PM, May 4, 2020
(online)
I'm sure they wouldn't kick you off for having the wrong views, but my experience there was that you will catch some undue grief and extra scrutiny from the admins. It's a really good site for posting a comic and a way more active community than here, but it can be unpleasant if you go against the grain. It's one of those situations where they have the same rules for everybody… but they might be enforced a little differently for certain people, if you don't quite fit the mold of what they're looking for.

But I haven't posted there in years, so I always have to throw out that disclaimer: maybe it's gotten better since then?

Maybe you could try finding creators with similar styles to what you're going for, and ask if you can bounce some ideas off of them?
bravo1102 at 4:04AM, May 5, 2020
(offline)
Early example of “cancel” culture.

Say the wrong thing and you can be cancelled. Apologies not accepted despite sincerity.

I unknowingly said some very wrong things that actually echoed the stands of an infamous homophobe. Did a lot of research and soul searching but I'm cancelled.

Then I was attacked by the admins for having a character in my comic say that in their culture all speech is tolerated and only actions are judged. It was science fiction not political opinion.
last edited on May 5, 2020 4:15AM
Ironscarf at 12:57PM, May 5, 2020
(offline)
I joined ComicFury way back when the Duck was having serious issues many years ago. The hosting was good and the forums were fun for a while, but soon descended into an online reenactment of Lord Of The Flies. It was the most paranoid environment I've ever experienced. I don't think the people responsible for most of that really use the place now but you know what they say - you can never go back. Quite literally in my case because I have a lifetime ban.
kawaiidaigakusei at 1:10PM, May 5, 2020
(online)
It is good that a site like ComicFury exists because it gives webcomic creators options versus there only being one webcomic host available for anyone looking to post their comics on the Internet. El Cid is right, look for like-minded creators wherever you go.

@bravo1102 and @IronScarf that really surprises me that you would be banned from any site, you are both some of the wisest individuals I know and an absolute joy to have contributing on the forums!
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
PIT_FACE at 3:03PM, May 5, 2020
(online)
I don't have any experience with Comic Fury really so all I'll say is welcome!

The rogue's gallery welcomes you with open arms!

bravo1102 at 2:15AM, May 6, 2020
(offline)
@bravo1102 and @IronScarf that really surprises me that you would be banned from any site, you are both some of the wisest individuals I know and an absolute joy to have contributing on the forums!

In cancel culture one human's wisdom is another's microaggression.
Ironscarf at 5:42AM, May 6, 2020
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

Thanks, I never had any issue anywhere else. You know JustNoPoint? I think even he is banned from ComicFury and I would struggle to think of a more pleasant or helpful person I've met online.
Tantz_Aerine at 5:48AM, May 6, 2020
(online)
I also post my comic there, but I stay clear of the forums, except for the update announcement one. I have met some good people there that commented on my comic. Every single one of them remarkable people, some of whom I've invited over to here, but having heard of the horror stories of the hivemind variety (especially if they banned someone like Ironscarf for crying out loud!! O.O) I don't want that kind of flak. No time for it. So I haven't had any, but I also can't say it's because it doesn't exist. I've actively avoided it.
MegaRdaniels at 6:16AM, May 6, 2020
(online)
I pretty much just focused on my comic there and not on the forums. Probably because I keep my distance–plus the possible horrors if I do.

I'm shy socially lol.
fallopiancrusader at 8:05AM, May 6, 2020
(offline)
I mirror Mindfold and Tusk at CF too. I don't participate in the forums there. They are too labyrinthine and anonymous, unless you make lots and lots of posts. My typing skills are so bad that I just don't have enough time for it. Judging from the replies I'm reading in this post, it sounds like I've avoided a lot of grief by staying away from the CF forums.

In terms of visibility, I will say that Tusk gets on the average about twice as many page views on CF as it does here, and Mindfold gets about ten times as many page views there. Page comments have always been generally supportive both on DD and CF.

Speaking strictly from my own experience, I would say that the community here at the duck is more like a family, but it's a small and passionate family. The community at CF is bigger, but slightly more anonymous.
BearinOz at 12:23AM, May 8, 2020
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
I mirror Mindfold and Tusk at CF too. I don't participate in the forums there… I've avoided a lot of grief by staying away from the CF forums.

In terms of visibility, I will say that Tusk gets on the average about twice as many page views on CF as it does here, and Mindfold gets about ten times as many page views there. Page comments have always been generally supportive both on DD and CF.

Speaking strictly from my own experience, I would say that the community here at the duck is more like a family, but it's a small and passionate family. The community at CF is bigger, but slightly more anonymous.

I've never gotten any “grief” on CF. Otherwise it sounds about right.

I find the forums very repetitive and often inane - but I'm old too, so that probably makes a difference. I just post when a subject looks interesting (but often isn't, to me).

I originally went there as a 2nd/backup spot, when Duckie was so flaky, I thought it was going to die, or go into rehab. Falling over regularly, then coming back with no stats, and very few comments. I felt a bit ‘cast adrift’

It used to seem so busy on the Duck forums and seemed to consist of a small inside ‘clique’…and the rest of us.

With little or no comments (and no stats), I eventually ended up just chucking pages up here, then doing the CF ones and posting the odd forum reply there.

So I was quite shocked, coming back to the Duck forums and hearing the wind whistle and watch the tumbleweed go past, most days. Sometimes the ONLY new forum item is a Mo' film review

B-)

elektro at 10:54AM, June 2, 2020
(offline)
I haven't really done a regular webcomic since 2011, since for a while I was printing and selling comics at conventions and zine fests, plus I've been focusing more on music lately, but I still posted in the ComicFury forums once in a while until recently. What people were saying before about the hivemind mentality is very true, and I ran into it recently which really soured my experience considering I didn't even post much there to begin with. There's one guy there in particular who'll often post a novel's worth of text that reeks of negativity if he disagrees with what you say, and he's a total asshole. I'm slowly starting to post here again (even if it is a ghost town), and the only other forum I post in currently is a small forum that I guarantee no one here has heard of, and I'm a lot happier for dropping that millstone off my neck.
El Cid at 8:12PM, June 2, 2020
(online)
I had to visit Comic Fury a little over a week ago to get a url for my Author's Notes. Just for giggles, I dropped by the forums to see how it was going and on the second thread I opened, there was Kyo threatening people with a two week ban. Apparently nothing's changed.
Furwerk studio at 11:27AM, June 3, 2020
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
I had to visit Comic Fury a little over a week ago to get a url for my Author's Notes. Just for giggles, I dropped by the forums to see how it was going and on the second thread I opened, there was Kyo threatening people with a two week ban. Apparently nothing's changed.

Jokes on them, I deactivated my account.

But seriously it was getting really bad, even before the riots because there was a few members who were spilling their guts and turn around to tear apart anyone who was giving their condolences.

One topic I started was about Aesops that people can't stand kind of went down some pretty dark places about abuse and forgiveness. It was kind of scary.
kawaiidaigakusei at 9:06PM, June 3, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

@bravo1102- I am going to remember this quotation every single time someone tries to cancel me for an opinion, joke, or statement I make. Thank you so much for being part of a generation that knows how to BE funny and ignore the rabble.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
bravo1102 at 1:15AM, June 4, 2020
(offline)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

@bravo1102- I am going to remember this quotation every single time someone tries to cancel me for an opinion, joke, or statement I make. Thank you so much for being part of a generation that knows how to BE funny and ignore the rabble.
I'm honored. Thank you.
Ironscarf at 8:51AM, June 5, 2020
(offline)
El Cid wrote:

Two week ban? Man, he's really gone soft in old age!
rickrudge at 5:35PM, Aug. 2, 2020
(offline)
I really loved being on ComicFury in that your comics are easier to find, (even if you post earlier in the day) and you can get a lot more information about the amount of views that your comics get. I’m not normally into forums either, but here on the Duck, you’re able to advertise and link people to your comics better. ComicFury’s Administrator is really on top of his web site, but he’s also a little less forgiving about people breaking his rules.
MegaRdaniels at 12:01AM, Aug. 3, 2020
(online)
rickrudge wrote:
I really loved being on ComicFury in that your comics are easier to find, (even if you post earlier in the day) and you can get a lot more information about the amount of views that your comics get. I’m not normally into forums either, but here on the Duck, you’re able to advertise and link people to your comics better. ComicFury’s Administrator is really on top of his web site, but he’s also a little less forgiving about people breaking his rules.

So he is extremely strict?
Ironscarf at 6:23AM, Aug. 3, 2020
(offline)
MegaRdaniels wrote:

So he is extremely strict?

He was banned from a few sites himself before starting ComicFury, so I think it was just his go to way of dealing with perceived problems.
machineheadstudio at 9:35AM, March 24, 2021
(offline)
I've been on CF about eight months and as far as posting my comic it's been easy and no problem.

The forum is fine as long as you don't contradict someone's post then out comes the claws. After the DC riots there was a couple of mob lynching threads that to me should have been shut down but the mods just let it go.

lothar at 5:21PM, Aug. 31, 2023
(offline)
What I like about DD forums is the old west/gold rush town vibe it has. Like there's a general store but nobody is at the counter. Maybe they are listening to the radio in a back room and you have to ring the bell for service. Then there's as saloon with a player piano that's playing midi music, where you might run into a person or two. You can sit down and have a beer and just kinda say “yup” before going back up into the hills to make stuff. Just like a chill vibe.

I don't know what Comic Fury forums is like. Maybe like a college campus or something.

EDIT… Now it looks like I Necroposted but I swear there was a reply to this thread from today. Strange

last edited on Aug. 31, 2023 5:26PM
DeanZeeks at 8:31AM, Jan. 14, 2024
(offline)
Furwerk studio wrote:
I just sort of left Comicfury, and I feel kind of disappointed by the place. I was looking for an extra site to post my comic for maximum exposure, I joined and started posting in their forums, I even tried to share some ideas but seems to attract people with a very dim world view, a lot of doom and gloom. Along with that they seem very stuck in the past, never really moving past Tolkien in the Fantasy Genre for example despite the changed said genre gone through.

They also seem kind of, like a political hivemind and I am afraid if my comic rubs someone the wrong way, TOS or no, I would be kicked off.

I am wondering if it is just me, am I imagining things. Sorry to post this, but the place kind of got me down after having a silly kid fantasy ideas being turned into “blood, guts and gore”, not once but twice, and needed to “vent” in a way.

Thank you for your time.
Good on paper you have a lot of hosting options, however it's overloaded with pokemon nuzlocke comics that it's absurd so you most likely have your comic up on the 1st page for a healthy hour and a half before it's buried again, i still post on it out of habit
marcorossi at 2:51AM, Jan. 15, 2024
(offline)
I post on CF and I feel at home there.

The place has its own culture, so if you want to be active in the forums you have to accept that they are a bit oversensitive on some topics, but this happens, I think, to any place where there is a strong use of the forums and therefore a strong local culture.

IMHO it's impossible to have the high level of forum engagement that they have without it.
InkyMoondrop at 6:47AM, Jan. 15, 2024
(offline)
marcorossi wrote:
I post on CF and I feel at home there.

The place has its own culture, so if you want to be active in the forums you have to accept that they are a bit oversensitive on some topics, but this happens, I think, to any place where there is a strong use of the forums and therefore a strong local culture.

IMHO it's impossible to have the high level of forum engagement that they have without it.

Not sure about how it translates to forums, but I'm in a chat community where people seldom cross any lines or offend others and I'm sure that there are all kinds of people there with lots of different beliefs. There is a single rule in place: “Treat this server as is you were invited into someone's home.” I find it quite brilliant actually, most communities go out of their way to write up rules about what's disallowed and for a good reason, yet people interpret these things subjectively. Treating a community as if you were invited into someone's home puts faith on the individual that they can assess from personal experiences how to be considerate, how to make themselves comfortable without making others uncomfortable. Or at least enough faith not to push anyone's nose into a set of house rules at the front door. Felt like sharing this pleasant experience because most communities online prefer accountability, while in truth the people running them still make a lot of the decisions based on feelings and peer pressure.
Genejoke at 8:37AM, Jan. 15, 2024
(online)
I left comic fury in disgust at how Kyo and the mods allowed and encouraged bullying of people whose politics and opinions they disagree with. Hopefully it's improved since then but I've no desire to check.
J_Scarbrough at 3:33PM, Jan. 16, 2024
(offline)
How many times have we engaged in this discussion just since I migrated over here?

To sum it all up again, while I will say they have an excellent, wide selection of a variety of different comics that I really enjoyed while I was there, their forum community is a lot like high school, they kind of pick and choose who they perceive really fits in with them, and apparently, I didn't.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon