Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How does COVID-19 translate into your life?
kawaiidaigakusei at 4:26PM, May 20, 2020
(online)
I have been staying at home, going on three months now.

I have invested in new appliances:
-a Philips XXL Airfryer
-a Cuckoo Pressure Rice Cooker
-a 24oz Vitamix Blender

The goal is the emulate the tastes and textures of outside foods as much as possible without having to go outside.

I have stocked up on soap bars, Harvey and Sons teas, beans, rice, grains, and water, so I have essentials. I have a variety of snacks like chips, rice crispy treats, cheez-its, salt water taffy, and tootsie rolls for childhood nostalgia.

I have been reading more, spending more time connecting with friends (virtually) listening to records, cleaning around the house, and talking about collective memories from our youth with friends and family. There has been so much love laughter and support.

For physical needs I ordered a full size massage table and an electric powered massager to get rid of any knots in my back. I am seriously considering an outdoor lounge chair so I can enjoy sunlight on very beautiful days.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
DeanZeeks at 5:05PM, May 20, 2020
(offline)
It ruined EVERY aspect in my life, I it's my first year as a doctor and BAM!!! I'm deployed in the midst of a pandemic, I live in a 3rd world country so HaHa no healthcare nor insurance for us, I had to work 48 continuous hours a week because of how small our staff is, so I'm constantly exhausted, the people here are retarded to the maximum degree and refuse to abide by the government mandated lockdown, there's no gym so I can't vent up my frustration, my BF lives in another province so I can't legally travel to visit him, and I can't even meet my friends because they're reasonable enough to not go out nor accept visitors.
usedbooks at 6:22PM, May 20, 2020
(online)
The start of my seasonal job has been pushed back, so I'll have to attempt to live on four months income instead of six this year. I ran out of unemployment insurance and have just enough stimulus money to pay mortgage.

My job description will be altered somewhat since I'm usually front-line with visitors. (My supervisor said I might be making videos and website stuff.)

My parents have been stuck in Australia. I miss them but would rather they stay there for the foreseeable future. Where they are hasn't had any cases of COVID in several days.

I was counting on my dad to help me build a chicken coop. With Dad in Australia, I had to jerry-rig a pen for my chicks.

Thankfully, no one close to me has been hospitalized and only one person I know (likely) had COVID. (He wasn't tested.)
lothar at 6:41PM, May 20, 2020
(offline)
Sometimes I go out for a walk after midnight … to go to the liquir store to get more booze. Luckily I live in a spacious mansion with a yard full of murder hornets.
El Cid at 5:10PM, May 21, 2020
(online)
The dearth of beef products in the meat section forced me to bring home lamb chops for the first time ever.

Times are hard, but I gotta be strong.
Niccea at 6:11PM, May 21, 2020
(online)
I gave birth to my second child four weeks ago. My husband was the only visitor allowed in the hospital. If he left, he had to be rescreened. We had to wear masks whenever someone came into the room at the hospital. My husband hasn't been able to distract our oldest with outings like we had hoped. Of course, we haven't been able to have family over to help with the little ones.
gmaximin at 6:40PM, May 23, 2020
(offline)
I almost feel shitty but I ought to share the good news (as it might brighten up some of you guys), after three months homeschooling my daughter (1st grade) and basically not being able to do anything else productive, her school will finally reopen next week!! It was great having her, but 24/7 was just a little bit too much…
MegaRdaniels at 7:27AM, May 24, 2020
(online)
The same as everything else. I BARELY leave my house so really this is no biggy to me. So it's basically the same except that I have to wear my mask whenever I go to a Waffle House.
MegaRdaniels at 7:29AM, May 24, 2020
(online)
El Cid wrote:
The dearth of beef products in the meat section forced me to bring home lamb chops for the first time ever.

Times are hard, but I gotta be strong.

There is always veggie meat.
last edited on May 24, 2020 7:30AM
El Cid at 6:22PM, May 24, 2020
(online)
No.

NO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!
bravo1102 at 1:27AM, May 25, 2020
(offline)
My wife and I are essential workers. I actually have to go to work every day. Don't believe anything about the petroleum industry doing poorly. If demand is down how come the tanker trucks run nonstop for the gas stations? They're shuffling around fuel as busy work?

Face it, this economic shutdown only hurts little people.
BearinOz at 6:19AM, May 25, 2020
(online)
The last couple of weeks, here in Oz, paper towel became the “new toilet roll” in its scarcity !! Did paper manufacturers switch production ??

I get supermarket delivery - have done for several years, since my mobility probs cut in…so for 2 weeks of orders there were none available, so I didn't order, then 3rd time I was really out of it, so I ordered the only brand available last week, and I have a box ticked that says “substitute for similar product” if not available…I got a big bag of paper napkins useless fall-apart pieces of shit, I've been'surviving' with for a week !
Anyway, I needed to get a dressing done (every 2 days #4), so went on my natty Vespa style scooter and popped in the supermarket, where supply was low, but I got a 3-up pack, plus other stuff.

Unlike EL Cid, we have NO shortage of beef products and my freezer is full of steaks - my son eats several a week, I rarely touch it, other than roast, occasionally. Some exotic fruits are missing, but bananas are one of our biggest crops, with wheat, marijuana (unofficial B-) ),sugar, cotton… and I'm still getting blueberries (at twice the price) from down south.

I've also not had any medicines shortage… just as well, with the 10 various tabs I take, twice a day. I'm glad I don't live in the U.S. it costs me A$350 a month….until my “safety net” card cuts on, around June,these days, so the rest of the year is free

Best of luck, everyone

Peipei at 12:13AM, May 26, 2020
(offline)
My husband and I have always been a bit introverted, but it's to a crazier extent at the moment. We really only leave our home to check the mail and run errands like most everyone else. We do our work from home so nothing has changed on that front. I think the only major changes we've made since the start of the pandemic is that I cook from scratch a lot more and prepare our meals everyday as opposed to ordering. We've only ordered take out twice since February.

ozoneocean at 1:04AM, May 26, 2020
(offline)
I haven't been to work in about 8 weeks or so because the bans on events and gatherings meant that promotional events became non-existent, so the promotional products company I work for had no serious work left and certainly none for their graphic designer: me.

So I'm on paid leave till that runs out. Then I don't know… The business might start back up again because small gatherings are allowed again now and I've done a few work from home jobs for my office in the past two weeks.
Of the business may be dead for good, in which case I'll have to make other arraignments.

——–

With my time off work I've still been just as busy though- work on DD is never ending and I'm staying with my Girlfriend a lot, or traveling across the city to her place and back to mine… I've been way more busy that I usually am actually so I haven't had any time to work on creative projects :(

There were shortages of masks, toilet paper, and hand sanitiser for a month or so but the shops are stocked to bursting with all that now.

The restrictions are relaxed now and people are gathering again. almost no one wears a mask except for me… which means me wearing one isn't much use.

There was a time when the streets were so quiet and barren, when after dark the only activity out there were the Uber Eats bike riders. But now it's like nothing has happened.
Infection rates are VERY low here, fully traced and controlled, but there's always a chance of a flare up.

BearinOz at 5:56AM, May 26, 2020
(online)
ozoneocean wrote:
There was a time when the streets were so quiet and barren, when after dark the only activity out there were the Uber Eats bike riders. But now it's like nothing has happened.
Infection rates are VERY low here, fully traced and controlled, but there's always a chance of a flare up.
Uber eats. It existed before, but we'd never used it. This past month, we've had 5 or 6, mostly from our local Golf Club/RSL restaurant. It's been great having ‘proper’ food, rather than “fast food'” rubbish. B-)
We might continue with it, maybe to a lesser extent, especially as delivery was so much cheaper than we anticipated.

MegaRdaniels at 6:30AM, May 26, 2020
(online)
Still working from home but my job is asking if we would like to work in the office again Got a lot of Karens on my line unfortunately.

bravo1102 at 7:16AM, May 26, 2020
(offline)
MegaRdaniels wrote:
Still working from home but my job is asking if we would like to work in the office again Got a lot of Karens on my line unfortunately.

At first I hated the term “Karen ” and then I realized that the folks named Karen I've known were really prototypical Karens.

Thankfully the verb of my name was before social media so it never became a thing. Hate to go on Twitter and see everyone talking about “steveing” for spoiling movies or giving a “steve alert ” rather than a spoiler alert.
ozoneocean at 8:41AM, May 26, 2020
(offline)
BearinOz wrote:
Uber eats. It existed before, but we'd never used it. This past month, we've had 5 or 6, mostly from our local Golf Club/RSL restaurant. It's been great having ‘proper’ food, rather than “fast food'” rubbish. B-)
We might continue with it, maybe to a lesser extent, especially as delivery was so much cheaper than we anticipated.
Uber Eats and Menulog are generally worth it. But the selection can get quite limited depending on the time. Getting good fish and chips is a pain.

bravo1102 wrote:
Thankfully the verb of my name was before social media so it never became a thing. Hate to go on Twitter and see everyone talking about “steveing” for spoiling movies or giving a “steve alert ” rather than a spoiler alert.
HAHAHA Oh, but let me tell you…
Among Banes, Pitface, Tantz and I we have a term named in honour of you which means “to explain something in a very technical and complex way”.
We call it “full-Bravo”.

bravo1102 at 10:39AM, May 26, 2020
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Among Banes, Pitface, Tantz and I we have a term named in honour of you which means “to explain something in a very technical and complex way”.
We call it “full-Bravo”.

Well at least that's not the name on my birth certificate and ID.
MegaRdaniels at 3:54PM, May 26, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
MegaRdaniels wrote:

At first I hated the term “Karen ” and then I realized that the folks named Karen I've known were really prototypical Karens.

Never heard of a Steve-Alert. LOL. Where did that come from? LOL.
bravo1102 at 12:52AM, May 27, 2020
(offline)
And you never will hear of a Steve-alert. The term was invented by friends in college because I had a habit of spoiling endings. So its possible that in the age of social media, the phrase could have taken off and all spoilers could be “steves”

But it all happened in the 1980s, when phones were stupid and computers slow and modems actually required s telephone reciever. So it was just word of mouth and “steveing” died quickly.

MegaRdaniels at 5:57AM, May 27, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
And you never will hear of a Steve-alert. The term was invented by friends in college because I had a habit of spoiling endings. So its possible that in the age of social media, the phrase could have taken off and all spoilers could be “steves”

But it all happened in the 1980s, when phones were stupid and computers slow and modems actually required s telephone reciever. So it was just word of mouth and “steveing” died quickly.

LOL! I never heard such things, maybe because I am an Internet hermit a little bit. I am far more active on Twitter and YouTube. Other outlets? Not so much.
shizamura at 2:36AM, June 5, 2020
(offline)
I'm a very lucky person and the worst that happned to me was having to work from home (it's been three months now) and be careful when doing grocery shopping. My parents were laid off for the time being, and while they've been happier than ever, there's also less money than ever. I very much miss hanging out with my friends and seeing other people, but those things can wait.

Tantz_Aerine at 4:09PM, June 5, 2020
(online)

bravo1102 wrote:
We call it “full-Bravo”.

Way to go outing all of us Oz. :P

MegaRdaniels at 9:03PM, June 5, 2020
(online)
Well my week was a bit morbid and also after seeing a lot of videos of the news, I tend to now stay away from that and focus on the Bob Ross philosophy.

So its like everyday something terrible happens.
PIT_FACE at 7:04AM, June 7, 2020
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
We call it “full-Bravo”.

Well at least that's not the name on my birth certificate and ID.

Thinking about getting it added to Urban Dictionary!

PIT_FACE at 7:09AM, June 7, 2020
(online)
Pretty much ow its been for everyone else I imagine. Lots of isolation. I'm working from home which is good. I'm not too dependant on socializing and i can still talk to people which helps when i am feeling a bit lonely. Missing certain people a lot. I ReALLY miss being able to go out and explore. there's lots of things ive wanted to do since i've moved back up here. maybe soon i can visit the lake, at least.

My uncle did pass away though, aside from this being in the midsts of a pandemic, he lived in Florida (most of his family lives up here in Wisconsin) so I believe he was cremated and we're going to have a memorial service for him once things get better.

rickrudge at 11:08AM, July 30, 2020
(offline)
My last series of Tag Forester comix included mask wearing and people worrying about the Coronavirus. Most likely future series will include this. Even my last series of Drako the Barbarian comix includes bowing instead of hand shaking or hugging, so I guess this is the way it has to be for awhile.
cdmalcolm1 at 8:09PM, Aug. 4, 2020
(online)
Essential worker here. Sucks that I have to go to work in 90 degrees heat Warehouse and 100 plus in the trailers. Mind you, we are all wearing mask for 12 hour days. I work for a company that is a third party contract holder for Amazon here in FL. We are currently the second worst state with ppl having this virus. My wife works in retail and can’t go see her mom In person. Our days off are nice though. My aunt in NYC did get it and went through a special kind of hell dealing with it. My wife’s, cousin BF lost his left arm due to multiple blood clots in his arm due to the virus. Both my wife and I have had a person at our jobs that had The virus. We r very careful not to get it. Shopping sucks, and gas prices are going up again.

On a lighter side of things. Now, when I was driving, traffic was very low when the shutdown happen. All I could think about is Thanos snapping half the life in the universe out of existence. The air did clean up. Very few stores were open. It felt like we all just popped into a movie.
ozoneocean at 8:32PM, Aug. 4, 2020
(offline)
It strange… things were all closed down here a couple of months ago but things have been completely back to normal for a while. There's no community transmission here (there pretty much never was), people don't know anyone with the virus here.
But it's only may state.

Western Australia is a gigantic state, way, way bigger than even Alaska in the USA (by almost another million square KM), and my city is right over in the far corner of it, so it's been easy to isolate ourselves away and close off the border from everyone while the rest of the country deals with things. It was looking great for Australia till there was a huge outbreak in Melbourne, now their state (Victoria) is on extreme lockdown and that spread to neighbouring states, although not that seriously.
Meanwhile here in Perth it's like it's all over.

BUT, that's the danger. It's like the calm before the storm or standing in the dip between big swells in the ocean- you just KNOW the big wave will come crashing down on you soon… All it takes is for people to become to complacent and some idiots to break Quarantine and then we're in the same boat too.

But for now I'll enjoy the virus free world that I have here.

last edited on Aug. 4, 2020 8:33PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+