Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What should I do?
lancerlot590 at 3:12AM, June 9, 2020
(offline)
I'm a amatuer artist. I draw just for fun. Recently, I'm working on a small project of non-profit purpose. I've publish some chapters on my blog and received many positive comments from readers. However, some of them said that they expect the main character in my story will act as the opposite way that I've planned for him. If I still write the story as my original storyline, it may make them disappointed. Then, what should I do?
bravo1102 at 4:13AM, June 9, 2020
(offline)
Ask yourself are you writing to please them or are you writing to please you?

I take suggestions and even work them into the storyline but ultimately it's my story and will follow my vision. I've had readers who expect it to go one way and I surprise them. They've come to look forward to the surprises and even said that it keeps them reading.

If I find a reader guessing too close to my plan for the plot I am inclined to change it, but I won't tell them that I did. It is ultimately my story.
DeanZeeks at 9:30AM, June 9, 2020
(offline)
You said it yourself, you draw for fun, your own amusement, do what you like, don't be a people pleaser or you'll end up drawing fetishes for internet degenerates
Tantz_Aerine at 4:25PM, June 9, 2020
(online)
Write what you've already planned for him/her to do. Subverting expectations is all the rage anyway, and in your case it'll have been done the way it should be ;)

Genejoke at 4:32PM, June 9, 2020
(online)
Does what you have in mind feel true to the character you've written?
also, trust your instincts as a writer.
bluecuts34 at 4:41AM, June 17, 2020
(offline)
Fully agreeing with the other folks here, especially Bravo (insightful as ever). If you create for other people and not yourself, your work will be shallow and you might be unhappy. Or you might enjoy fame and nice comments, idk, I don't know your life.

Besides, they're guessing on incomplete information, they might be just as happy to be surprised by your direction once the story starts to unfold. Remember that you have all the storytelling pieces like theme and worldbuilding - they don't! The character's direction will probably make sense in the grand scheme of things eventually.

Basically, don't please your readers. They're impossible to please if you're trying. Make things for yourself, and your audience will come.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+