Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Deconstructing Anti-Escapism.
Furwerk studio at 1:00PM, Dec. 11, 2020
(offline)
Just something I always wanted to do is take common anti-escapist fiction and just tear it apart, because honestly I get tired of hearing about how “dreams are bad” and “reality is the greatest thing ever!”.

One thought is more based in personal experiences of encountering people who live the “anti-escapist” ideals of constantly living in reality, no dreams, no ideals, just pure and cold “face reality and deal with it”. I found many of them without much ambition, they just laid in the gutter waiting to die, drink heavily, do a massive amount of drugs.

It's kind of scary really.
bravo1102 at 1:08AM, Dec. 12, 2020
(offline)
Without dreams there is no ambition. Reality isn't to be endured, it is to challenged.

Drugs and drink are mechanisms to cope with a reality before which the user feels helpless. They are the escape instead of dreams and fantasy. The person really needs other escapes and coping mechanisms that aren't so self destructive.

They're not living, barely even surviving they're just existing and that's pointless. Welcome to existential nihilism.
last edited on Dec. 12, 2020 1:11AM
Ozoneocean at 5:15AM, Dec. 12, 2020
(online)
Having to use drink or drugs to cope with reality is sad and pathetic.
That's overly judgmental, I know. People have their reasons, and many have really hard lives… But my escapist fantasy is that no one has a need for them and people that indulge anyway are weak. 😅

Haha… Sorry for the irony here, It's how my brain works. None of that is serious. I mean it would be nice to judge them as being pathetic, I'd love to do that! But there are usually real reasons for them to be in that situation.

That out of the way… Escapist fiction is the best.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+