Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Tropes you WANT to see more of.
Furwerk studio at 3:07PM, Oct. 6, 2021
(offline)
posts: 107
joined: 12-18-2019
With a lot of talk of cliches and tropes we don't like, how about we shake things up and talk about stuff we would like to see more of.

- One thing I would love to see is the typical “jock//manlyman/bitch” try to confront the dorky loser, bonus points if it is during a LARPing session, in a tense stare down that turns physical.

And the Nerd kicks their ass easily, kind of revealing that they are some kind of martial art savant, employed in a dangerous field or work in some kind of law enforcement and the nerd thing is their way to blow off steam.

- In a “will they/won't they” romance situation that the longing one just gives up on their object of desire and actually hooks up with one of the secondary characters, and not in an instant romance but with a friendship and build up of romance.

- Subverting the “reality ensures” that a lot of shallow parodies loves to engage in and show that if an anti-tank rifle isn't taking down a magical girl a hand gun is going to do ditty squat.

- The use of Asian mythologies to used in a cosmic horror sense, that a fox spirit is a very powerful and scary being to deal with, and there is things out there much more powerful and dangerous.
last edited on Oct. 6, 2021 3:10PM
Ozoneocean at 8:41PM, Oct. 6, 2021
(online)
posts: 28,030
joined: 1-2-2004
Those are all pretty good except the last two.

The bad-arse nerd was done will in The Other Guys.
I think the problem with clichés is that they're tropes that get used so much they become annoying haha! So it's hard to like them.

I like Isekai anime. The trope of a person from THIS world ending up in a magical world- often a MMORPG.
The trouble is it became a fad which meant that even though it got a lot of things made with that theme it also meant to it would get used so much that people would get sick of them and it would crash and disappear… :(

It's like the general tropes that became clichés are like red dwarf stars: just lasting forever and only slowly dying.
And what happened with Isekai is that it went supernova: it built up so fast and so big that an explosion was inevitable.

The only hope for it is that it doesn't turn into a neutron star or a black-hole, where no new versions will be created, but rather a gaseous nebula where it can become the birthplace for new stars/ideas
 
lothar at 11:18PM, Oct. 6, 2021
(offline)
posts: 1,433
joined: 1-3-2006
and on the other side of that you have the fantasy characters that get trapped in our boring real world, like those horrible Smurfs movies.


I would like to see a story where the Jock is made fun of by all the nerds. like, everyone at highschool thinks sports are lame so theres not even a football team. so the jock builds a football feild in an abandoned corn felid and some ghosts of past football stars come to play with him. then the Earth is attacked by a bald guy from space and the jock has to use the power of football to defeet them. Also there should be a scene in the library where a dorky goth girl gets a makeover to look more hawt !
Ozoneocean at 12:56AM, Oct. 7, 2021
(online)
posts: 28,030
joined: 1-2-2004
lothar wrote:
I would like to see a story where the Jock is made fun of by all the nerds. like, everyone at highschool thinks sports are lame so theres not even a football team. so the jock builds a football feild in an abandoned corn felid and some ghosts of past football stars come to play with him. then the Earth is attacked by a bald guy from space and the jock has to use the power of football to defeet them. Also there should be a scene in the library where a dorky goth girl gets a makeover to look more hawt !
Yes.
Feild of Nightmares
There's your title ^_^
 
bravo1102 at 4:42AM, Oct. 7, 2021
(offline)
posts: 5,559
joined: 1-21-2008
Furwerk studio wrote:

- One thing I would love to see is the typical “jock//manlyman/bitch” try to confront the dorky loser, bonus points if it is during a LARPing session, in a tense stare down that turns physical.

And the Nerd kicks their ass easily, kind of revealing that they are some kind of martial art savant, employed in a dangerous field …
Lol. That's the backstory of Wes Norwood the Navy SEAL in my comic Interstellar Blood Beasts It's only mentioned briefly when it's revealed his expertise with a katana but he was a super geek in high school (but a good runner. All the times he had to run away from bullies)

As for magical girls, of course they have defenses against firearms built into their skills and the transformation is instantaneous but drawn out for the audience. Dummy. Put him on the range and see if he can hit the broadside of a barn let alone a transforming magical girl with all those twists and turns and swirls and magical colors all over.

Furwerk studio at 6:08AM, Oct. 7, 2021
(offline)
posts: 107
joined: 12-18-2019
bravo1102 wrote:

As for magical girls, of course they have defenses against firearms built into their skills and the transformation is instantaneous but drawn out for the audience. Dummy. Put him on the range and see if he can hit the broadside of a barn let alone a transforming magical girl with all those twists and turns and swirls and magical colors all over.



Plus they take the punishment equivalent to being hit by a tank, both in artillery and getting run over by one.

Sailor Moon Spoilers!



Hell you see something like that in Sailor moon S when Haruka and Michiru confront Eudial they get shot by thousands of bullets and while it nearly killed them, it took a lot of rounds, a lot, and it took having their heart crystals being ripped out to sort of kill them.

And that's just one example I can think off of the top of my head, there is dozens of darker, edgier manga out there that show one needs special bullets and modified firearms to be even on the same footing.

Or a weapon more dangerous then Metal gear, a van.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+