Comic Talk and General Discussion *

I sold my characters to a friend, now what?
Furwerk studio at 5:52AM, Nov. 27, 2021
(offline)
Kind of taking a minute to talk about this, but I sold my characters in Nakamura Rex to a friend that gave a huge helping hand on the story because honestly I just couldn't work on the comic any more, a combo of burn out, having too much input from others, feeling the story getting too cramped, and to be honest I want to make other stuff so I just threw up my hands and went “well, if I'm not going to use them, my friend can.”

Just wanted to post about this and chat about giving up on a character.
Ozoneocean at 5:01AM, Nov. 29, 2021
(online)
Skoolmunkee quit on her comic The Repository of Dangerous Things many years ag. She gave away all the various “Dangerous things” to other comic artists that wanted them and they found their way into many different comics.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:49PM, Nov. 29, 2021
(offline)
I personally don't know if I ever could do something like that. Maybe, if I one day realized that I'm not gonna have the time or the energy to realize all of my stories I'd sell them or their characters to creators who do. I really hope that won't be the case, but I guess that would be a solution to fall back on if that would be the case.
bravo1102 at 12:59AM, Nov. 30, 2021
(offline)
This is something that I've seen done on Deviant Art. Someone will create a character, do a bio and illustrations and put it up for sale to creators. Some don't intend on using it themselves because of other commitments but have this idea that they can't use and decide to sell it.

Many of the characters in my epic fantasy comic were created by the players in an ancient D&D campaign. Over the years though outside of a few basic features most have evolved beyond their original forms so I doubt the players would recognize anything but the name.

I've borrowed a few characters from other Drunkduck creators that were in finished comics as a “further adventures ” of in the world of my comic. And there was my OC appearance in the comic GodStrain.

So it's not like these things aren't unknown. I lent out Belinda Brandon for Godstrain but I doubt I'd ever sell her. Sell a license maybe but not total ownership unless of course I received proper compensation like the folks on Deviant Art do.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon