Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2022! General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 6:27AM, April 9, 2022
(online)
I updated my other comic this week! Wowsers
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Bottomless_Waitress/
I did it 100% on my Android tablet this time…
The colouring was fine with Bottomless Waitress.
Pinky TA need desktop, BW is ok with tablet alone
Genejoke at 6:42AM, April 9, 2022
(online)
you're cooking on gas.

hat's the difference in the process that requires desktop for Pinky? Both pages look amazing.
Ozoneocean at 7:07AM, April 9, 2022
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
you're cooking on gas.

hat's the difference in the process that requires desktop for Pinky? Both pages look amazing.
Thanks man!

The main difference is that the brushes in my desktop Photoshop are way more customised and complex and better for smaller details. Pinky TA has more detail and more panels. The cintq has a bigger screen too which I need for detailed work.

Bottomless Waitress is a lot simpler.

I could make more complex brushes in my tablet art ap but it takes so long :(
hpkomic at 4:36PM, April 10, 2022
(offline)
I've been an off-again, on-again member of The Duck since the early days when it was still drinking.

I've been feeling the nostalgia lately, so I am going to be uploading new comics again instead of just archiving old ones here.

Exciting times ahead!
Ozoneocean at 12:47AM, April 11, 2022
(online)
hpkomic wrote:
I've been an off-again, on-again member of The Duck since the early days when it was still drinking.

I've been feeling the nostalgia lately, so I am going to be uploading new comics again instead of just archiving old ones here.

Exciting times ahead!
That's awesome man!
bravo1102 at 3:10AM, April 21, 2022
(offline)
A few years ago my other comic got a one time page view spike of 1800 views that sent it into the top ten. The current comic has had strong page views since it was featured, but then Easter Sunday of all days it got 762 page views. Okay, one time spike for whatever internet reason. But then new page on Tuesday and it's 768 . Wow, maybe just maybe. Is it too much to hope?

And more power to Lite Bites the site anthology comic still in the top ten. Everybody here should put a short story in there.
Ozoneocean at 4:44AM, April 21, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
A few years ago my other comic got a one time page view spike of 1800 views that sent it into the top ten. The current comic has had strong page views since it was featured, but then Easter Sunday of all days it got 762 page views. Okay, one time spike for whatever internet reason. But then new page on Tuesday and it's 768 . Wow, maybe just maybe. Is it too much to hope?

And more power to Lite Bites the site anthology comic still in the top ten. Everybody here should put a short story in there.
Try and capitalise on it maybe? Get advertising, do special pages, I dunno XD
Ozoneocean at 4:46AM, April 21, 2022
(online)
I'm taking longer and longer breaks from Facebook…
In the past it's been great for keeping up with people and even meeting new ones, but it's been getting just a bit crappier all the time and the quality of social communication isn't very good there anyway.
bravo1102 at 5:39AM, April 21, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

Try and capitalise on it maybe? Get advertising, do special pages, I dunno XD

Time to extort some money from the family.

I've been married 27 years I don't get to keep a penny from my paycheck. Too many bills to pay, the wife says, “I'll think about it.” Which translates as “I'm going to forget you asked and hopefully you will too and that way I won't have to give you any money ”
I often do forget. XD
Ironscarf at 7:59AM, April 21, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
I'm taking longer and longer breaks from Facebook…
In the past it's been great for keeping up with people and even meeting new ones, but it's been getting just a bit crappier all the time and the quality of social communication isn't very good there anyway.

I made an account on Pillowfort and I'm making one on Mastodon too. These platforms may not go anywhere, but phase one social media is no longer even pretending to operate for the benefit of it's users, with Facebook being the worst of the bunch. Something will happen, the tipping point will come and people will jump ship en masse. My Space anyone?
last edited on April 21, 2022 8:06AM
Genejoke at 2:05PM, April 21, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:

Yeah I'd seen you hit bthe top ten, congrats and thanks for the shout out.

I need to push for script contributions as I have an artist drawing a bunch and have been digging out old scripts and writing to keep up.
Right now I have pages preuploaded into September, that's with a minimum of 3 updates a week. Also I have 20 more to upload and anticipating even more soon.
last edited on April 21, 2022 2:06PM
Ozoneocean at 6:16PM, April 21, 2022
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I made an account on Pillowfort and I'm making one on Mastodon too. These platforms may not go anywhere, but phase one social media is no longer even pretending to operate for the benefit of it's users, with Facebook being the worst of the bunch. Something will happen, the tipping point will come and people will jump ship en masse. My Space anyone?
It's possible, but people have been predicting Facebook's end for a looooong time now XD

I'm thinking of mainly using my Facebook account for creative content rather than personal stuff… But that's fraught too haha!
People hate creative stuff more than personal stuff there. The main form of communication is f***ing memes
Ozoneocean at 9:16AM, April 22, 2022
(online)
Ugh! Can't deactivate my Facebook account till I make a backup account and make it an admin of my pages and groups 😭
Such a stupid Hassel.
bravo1102 at 7:31AM, April 25, 2022
(offline)
As I knew it would the large number of page views has proved to be another aberration. Some bot or something just latches onto the comic and lots of views but no lasting rise in actual readership.

I wonders what fluke of the internet it was this time? Can never track these things down, but it's always a short lived phenomenon like some bot just latching onto a phrase in the title.

It's never real, just an illusion. A glimmer of hope that maybe finally – but no.
Ozoneocean at 8:10AM, April 25, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
It's never real, just an illusion. A glimmer of hope that maybe finally – but no.
I'd say that it was probably a reader or two going through your archive. That's enough to do it.
If all goes well those readers will come back for future updates.

The thing is though that they can only give you that big page view boost ONCE because once they've read through your archive they won't do it again. XD
bravo1102 at 8:52AM, April 25, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
I'd say that it was probably a reader or two going through your archive. That's enough to do it.
If all goes well those readers will come back for future updates.

The thing is though that they can only give you that big page view boost ONCE because once they've read through your archive they won't do it again. XD
The comic only has a seventy page archive and the page views went up by a factor of nine from one hundred to nine hundred. So that's eleven people reading the whole archive on three consecutive days? Or one person going back and forth between pages nine times. XD
Ozoneocean at 9:08AM, April 25, 2022
(online)
Perfectly plausible- say a link to your comic was put up somewhere and you got 100 people checking it out. Some would read the whole thing, some would only read one or two pages.
That would easily account for the increase.

I had a look at your stats and they look perfectly genuine to me. If they were bot numbers they'd be bigger and rounder…like the boobs in your comic ,😅
But seriously, the numbers are too uneven to be a bot.
bravo1102 at 12:27AM, April 26, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean

I had a look at your stats and they look perfectly genuine to me. If they were bot numbers they'd be bigger and rounder…like the boobs in your comic ,😅

What I call “anime boobs ” perfectly round with little nips in the middle just like in a lot of manga and anime. It does exist and not just as a result of surgery but it does look like they're defying gravity.
I have thought about sculpting more modest and natural looking boobs since the plates are interchangeable on some of the figures. It would be a major project though and could even involve making molds and casting in resin.
Ozoneocean at 4:04AM, April 26, 2022
(online)
Make those custom boobles! You could make little foam or silicone ones so that can be squashed into shape by structural undergarments, which would be good for making a more realistic shape in the outfits you use.

—————–

THERE! I finally managed to deactivate my Facebook account :D
I had to make another so I can manage my pages and things but it's all good.
I've been taking a break from FB for a little while now and it's gone pretty good so far.
It's weird but shutting yourself off from a primary form of social media like that is a big step, which is why I only deactivated it and didn't delete it.

Social interactions are on social media are real, not virtual, but they're mostly of low value, especially likes and shares, and it's substitute and distraction form other more fulfilling types of social interaction and activity.

I wonder how long I can keep up with this or if I'll be back soon?
lothar at 9:15PM, April 26, 2022
(offline)
Congrats Bravo!

I was also wondering why I got the highest page views on record - 800. it was right around Easter just like yours. Just shy of pushing it into the top 10. I hadn't even updated in a while it's the strange part.
hpkomic at 9:49PM, April 26, 2022
(offline)
lothar wrote:
Congrats Bravo!

I was also wondering why I got the highest page views on record - 800. it was right around Easter just like yours. Just shy of pushing it into the top 10. I hadn't even updated in a while it's the strange part.

Actually, that brings up a point: what is the average hits for a comic to crack the top 10?
Ozoneocean at 8:43AM, April 28, 2022
(online)
A couple of thousand
Ironscarf at 9:02AM, April 28, 2022
(offline)
I'm guessing that's less than it would have been back in the swinging 2000s?
lothar at 11:28AM, April 28, 2022
(offline)

For over a thousand days, the Drunk Ducks were the guardians of comics and books on the old internet, before the dark times, before the Facebook.
Ironscarf at 12:27PM, April 28, 2022
(offline)
The Faces of the Book brought darkness and cruelty to the land, and hardened the hearts of men.
Ozoneocean at 6:11AM, April 30, 2022
(online)
That's so true of Facebook! When it came along social interaction on forums in general basically ceased.
They got is all in because it was new and everyone was there and then worked out how to keep us there with clever psychological tricks and gamified communication.
Meanwhile the quality of communication lowered.
Jason Moon at 8:12AM, May 1, 2022
(offline)
Hey guys, Comicfury just banned a really talented artist/friend from their site and he had been there for many years. So I told him to start posting his comics on Drunkduck and he just started. His name on the site is Christar and his comic is “Brock Trueblood” plus some other works. Go check out his comics and show him how cool we are on Duckweb.
Genejoke at 11:29AM, May 1, 2022
(online)
Lemme guess, it was for a stupid reason too.

Welcome aboard Christar.
Ozoneocean at 12:32AM, May 2, 2022
(online)
Welcome Chris!
I'm curious.what the bam was for 😅
As long as he's well behaved here and doesn't post anything ilegal then he's welcome 😚😁
Jason Moon at 9:23AM, May 2, 2022
(offline)
I believe it was over a political discussion. You know how heated politics are these days….
Chris is a really cool guy, he reminds me of you Ozone (with his art) how he works on a page till it looks perfect. I hope he posts often because he was far into his Brock Trueblood story on CF. The art just kept improving and improving.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon