Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What music are you listening to?
hushicho at 4:57PM, Jan. 10, 2022
(offline)
Obviously this assumes you're listening to music, so if you're not, that's fine.

But for those of us who create to music or use it for inspiration…what's moving you right now?

I discovered this amazing queen the other day, and I can't believe it took me so long! “24 Hours” - Agnes I've always been a fan of disco, and I love nu disco, and I especially love this album with the theme of “spiritual disco”!

Hope you'll enjoy it. The looks she serves up in that video are iconic too! I've been on a 70s aesthetic kick lately.
♥*♡∞:。.。 Official Site 。.。:∞♡*♥
bravo1102 at 2:17AM, Jan. 11, 2022
(offline)
Jazz. There's an NPR jazz station in Newark NJ, WBGO public radio. No commercials just jazz and NPR news.

It's the music I've been searching for all my life.
Othosmops at 3:14AM, Jan. 11, 2022
(offline)
I can't do much without music, and I really appreciate good jazz. But at the moment I'm into acapella music when it comes to conscious listening … especially when well-known titles are arranged down to the limited possibilities of the human voice. Sometimes it blows me away what some artists make possible. A work of art like God Only Knows as a four-part barbershop quartet … does that still sound good?
But when it comes to listening to music on the go, like to stay awake to work, I'm into lofi sounds, especially Blume's.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 7:18AM, Jan. 11, 2022
(offline)
I hear 24 hours playing in the clothing shop where I clean three times a week. Good track. As for my own personal choice in music I can be very ecclectic. I love jazz, metal, lo-fi, techno, Big beat, folk music etc. But if I were to pick any particular artists for each comic to listen to while working on them, it would be the following:

Inga Liljestrom for Molly Lusc.
Under Black Helmet for Idfestation
Amgod for Imsies the Imthology
Audioxity for Endtide
Neurotech for Phetishverses

last edited on Jan. 11, 2022 7:53AM
hushicho at 3:38PM, Jan. 11, 2022
(offline)
bravo1102 wrote:
Jazz. There's an NPR jazz station in Newark NJ, WBGO public radio. No commercials just jazz and NPR news.

Oh! I recently was pointed to something I feel you might really enjoy. I occasionally just mellow out to it completely.

WeatherStar 4000+

Behold. The authentic 90s Weather Channel experience. And it's surprisingly chill and prime vibe material.
lothar at 10:57AM, Jan. 12, 2022
(offline)
I don't listen to music anymore, only youtube channels that trash talk the disney starwars sequals
elektro at 11:37AM, Jan. 12, 2022
(offline)
hushicho wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

Oh! I recently was pointed to something I feel you might really enjoy. I occasionally just mellow out to it completely.

WeatherStar 4000+

Behold. The authentic 90s Weather Channel experience. And it's surprisingly chill and prime vibe material.

I'm sure that's been sampled by some vaporwave artist or two.
fallopiancrusader at 2:36PM, Jan. 12, 2022
(offline)
I've been listening to a lot of Ronnie Spector's music today (Ronnie Spector: August 10, 1943 – January 12, 2022)
hushicho at 10:28PM, Jan. 12, 2022
(offline)
I read this earlier and couldn't comment because of it hitting hard. Oh, I love Ronnie and this is such a sad loss to us in this world.

I always think back to her performing some of Amy Winehouse's music at her concerts, and it having her usual sense of humor and fun. I remember “Take Me Home Tonight” and seeing her in the video, and being thrilled even though at the time, I didn't know her very well. I just knew she was cool.

She will be missed, her contribution to music and culture will never be forgotten.

I do hope more will share their music they're enjoying with us.
gullas at 4:54AM, Jan. 13, 2022
(offline)
Where to start?
I tend to be more of an album type of person so I rarely like listening to playlists/radio - unless it's late 90's- early 00's.
I've been, now for quiet some time, listening to entire discographies (only studio albums, I'm not a savage) of bands and artists that I like. I do it to identify what elements of them I like; for example I like most of Judas Priest's 80's catalog, the two albums with the other singer and their newest one & I'm willing to defend LuLu (Metallica and lou Reed) as an original creative experiment while I don't like Metallica's stuff after AJFA
fallopiancrusader at 8:56PM, Feb. 9, 2022
(offline)
Today was a day of listening to a lot of Betty Davis (Betty Davis: July 16, 1944-February 9, 2022)
InkyMoondrop at 12:11PM, Jan. 5, 2023
(offline)
A new favorite, perfect background music for creating, and it's just the 5th of January…

Lawless - Lawless EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugPZ428W7pc&list=OLAK5uy_mn_YPxMo5WvKcyfHDRmKgUovw1FM8pLE4
fallopiancrusader at 8:23AM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
It's time to put on some songs by Burt Bacharach and raise a toast (Burt Bacharach, May 12, 1928- February 8, 2023)
Ironscarf at 8:54AM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
It's time to put on some songs by Burt Bacharach and raise a toast (Burt Bacharach, May 12, 1928- February 8, 2023)

Sad news. Some of my favourite versions of his tunes are the late 60s, early 70s ones Isaac Hayes did, with laid back Stax grooves and over the top orchestration. Walk On By from Hot Buttered Soul is like a spaghetti Western, The Look Of Love from To Be Continued is so smooth with wah guitar and Close To You from Black Moses is sublime.
My favourite tune of his might be the theme from Alfie, which really comes into its own when played by Bill Evans.
J_Scarbrough at 8:57AM, Feb. 9, 2023
(offline)
All throughout my life, I have enjoyed listening to music from previous decades, however for some reason, the 70s have always been one decade that I've overlooked . . . I guess because it's mostly stigmatized as the decade that gave us the Disco Revolution, and Disco is one genre of music that has never been particularly popular with my family (with some minor exceptions, like Earth, Wind & Fire, or Donna Summer), but I've gotten into listening to more 70s music lately, and I have to say, that decade really did have so much more to offer than just Disco: there's the soft rock, the power ballads, some lingering experimental and psycheledic stuff from the late 60s, and early examples of new wave sounds (punk, pop, synthesized rock) that would become more prominent in the 80s, and all those love songs.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
fallopiancrusader at 12:07PM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
I'm listening to a lot of music by Tina Turner at the moment
(Tina Turner 11/26/1939 - 5/24/2023)
J_Scarbrough at 12:32PM, May 24, 2023
(offline)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otXKTDinWBw

For obvious reasons.

Joseph Scarbrough
Ozoneocean at 3:18AM, May 25, 2023
(online)
fallopiancrusader wrote:
Noooo :(
Awwwwww

So now she's off beyond the Thunderdome T_T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcm-tOGiva0

Always loved the ultra-80s barbarian Queen outfit from that, and the song has the same sort of sounds as her 80s smash hit What's Love Got To Do With It.

We always considered her as having a special little relationship with Australia, because of that film and touring her a lot. Then she was the forefront of promotional campaigns using her “Simply the Best” song… I think for Rugby League and then horse racing. We really loved her here.
Ozoneocean at 3:36AM, May 25, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
…that decade really did have so much more to offer than just Disco: there's the soft rock, the power ballads, some lingering experimental and psycheledic stuff from the late 60s, and early examples of new wave sounds (punk, pop, synthesized rock) that would become more prominent in the 80s, and all those love songs.
Indeed, the 70s is a GOLDMINE of amazing music.

for some reason people always try and characterise it as the disco decade or punk and I just think “WHHHHAAAAAAT????” O_O
Punk and disco were a tiny sliver of the music from then. The 70s had all sorts of amazing tunes and genres. Metal began then there was all sorts of folk music all over the place (continuing from the 60s), glam rock was a titanic monster (nothing to do with 80s glam metal), hard rock, blues rock, heavy rock.

The unique thing about the 1970s sound (whatever the genre) was that analogue recording tech got really good then, MUCH better than previous decades, but it was also before all the over-samples, extra effects, synth craziness, and reverb of the 80s. So in the 70s you get a motherload of well recorded stuff of all kinds with a nice, raw, natural sound to it where you can hear every note and scratch on the guitar string.
That is a very unique thing about music from the period.
lothar at 3:01AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
fallopiancrusader wrote:

Aghhhhhhhh!!!!! Fuck this week! Seriously. That sucks … I'm going to drink excessively tonight.
lothar at 3:33AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough at 8:36AM, May 26, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:
The unique thing about the 1970s sound (whatever the genre) was that analogue recording tech got really good then, MUCH better than previous decades, but it was also before all the over-samples, extra effects, synth craziness, and reverb of the 80s. So in the 70s you get a motherload of well recorded stuff of all kinds with a nice, raw, natural sound to it where you can hear every note and scratch on the guitar string.
That is a very unique thing about music from the period.
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, yeah, I can definitely hear that sort of quality in 70s music, and you're right, it's incredible.

Too bad the same can't be said for movies of the decade though . . . I don't know what the problem was, but so many movies from the 70s, no matter how well they've been remastered/restored, have terrible audio - like listening to the whole movie through a phone line or something.

Joseph Scarbrough
Zero Hour at 10:17AM, May 31, 2023
(offline)
Mostly hard rock and metal

and rap parodying video games for some reason
Ironscarf at 10:47AM, May 31, 2023
(offline)
I'm listening to Dream Wife who are new to me. A sort of punk/new wave group with some hints of The Fall in the lead vocalist's quirky delivery. I love their stripped back sound, just as good live as it is on record from what I've heard. Guitarist Alice Go is absolutely ripping it from start to finish.
fallopiancrusader at 6:34PM, July 26, 2023
(offline)
It's time to go on a Sinead O'Connor marathon… (Sinead O'Connor- December 8, 1966 – July 26, 2023)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon