Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Wild Backstory to Old Comic Book Ad
OrGiveMeDeath_Ind at 1:07PM, June 8, 2022
(offline)

Howdy Duck community, I'm Don M. Patterson you may remember me from once-featured comic Freddy Reno Went Missing. I took some time off from the comic to go down a rabbit hole on an old comic ad I found so interesting I decided to write about it.

Behind the somewhat infamous ad above is the tale of a struggling West Texas record label, a would-be country star, an entrepreneur making wild claims, and a bunch of unfulfilled promises.

You can read all about it on my site:http://www.orgivemedeath.com/one-square-inch.html
dragonsong12 at 2:06PM, June 8, 2022
(offline)
Whoa! What a fascinating read! That’s an amazing rabbit hole to go down. You always see those bizarre ads reposted, and they just seem like these odd little mysteries. To actually hear the story behind one makes it all feel more real somehow.
And a bit of a sad story, a dream that never really made it out of the gate. Honestly, can relate.
OrGiveMeDeath_Ind at 2:39PM, June 8, 2022
(offline)
Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. I too found a lot to relate to. I saw this ad in a 1972 issue of Jack Kirby's wild 2001 Space Odyssey comic and couldn't let it go. Never thought it'd make me a Betty Jo Bangs stan. #JusticeForBettyJoBangs
dragonsong12 at 11:30AM, June 9, 2022
(offline)
OrGiveMeDeath_Ind wrote:
Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. I too found a lot to relate to. I saw this ad in a 1972 issue of Jack Kirby's wild 2001 Space Odyssey comic and couldn't let it go. Never thought it'd make me a Betty Jo Bangs stan. #JusticeForBettyJoBangs

Agreed. It's a shame there aren't recordings left to allow at least for some legacy…
Ozoneocean at 7:30PM, June 9, 2022
(online)
Well done! Great research there, reminds me of your comic. It's amazing you found all that!

Just a note on the article- maybe have a note or astrix for the links describing the reference? It's just that links of that style in an article is what spam news stories do usually and the links would all go to gambling site or something XD

Would it be possible to for us republish that article on our front page?
OrGiveMeDeath_Ind at 8:10PM, June 9, 2022
(offline)
Republish away! Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the kind words.

Gambling sites, you say…. I have been looking to monetize. I see your point, I'll see what I can do within the limitations of my domain. Links were the best solution for handling a lot of images I could think of.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon