Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How Do You Read Comics?
J_Scarbrough at 10:47PM, Oct. 8, 2022
(offline)
I never really gave it much thought before, but I have actually noticed that when I read comics, my tendancies tend to be that I will read the dialogue in the word balloons first before I actually look at the artwork in the panels.

So, I guess the question is which do you do first: read the words or look at the art?

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
lothar at 7:55AM, Oct. 9, 2022
(offline)
Look at the art.
Sometimes I don't read at all.
kawaiidaigakusei at 8:31AM, Oct. 9, 2022
(online)
There are several comics on this site written in languages other than English. There are also superb comics that have no text at all. I read the art before the dialogue.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ironscarf at 10:22AM, Oct. 9, 2022
(offline)
I tend to bask in the visuals first. Sometimes if the story is a real page turner, I might get drawn primarily into word balloons with a cursory glance at the panels, then go back to study the art in more detail afterwards.
J_Scarbrough at 11:05AM, Oct. 9, 2022
(offline)
Ironscarf wrote:
Sometimes if the story is a real page turner, I might get drawn primarily into word balloons with a cursory glance at the panels, then go back to study the art in more detail afterwards.
That seems to be how go about reading through comics as well.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
Ozoneocean at 8:36PM, Oct. 9, 2022
(online)
Ironscarf wrote:
I tend to bask in the visuals first. Sometimes if the story is a real page turner, I might get drawn primarily into word balloons with a cursory glance at the panels, then go back to study the art in more detail afterwards.
This
bravo1102 at 12:08AM, Oct. 11, 2022
(offline)
Classic “Z” pattern to drink in art and layout, then back for the words.
Often scroll through whole page before reading. I'm slowly overcoming my distaste for the long page format.

Z pattern is upper left to upper right, diagonal across page, lower left to lower right. It's the subconscious norm for drinking in a view. Consistant across humanity even with right to left readers.

And taught in the Army for scanning any scene. Ten years behind a gun sight leaves an impression. They have drills to hone the skill consciously. Can be the difference between life and death. What you don't see will often kill you.
last edited on Oct. 11, 2022 12:14AM
TheJagged at 12:53PM, Oct. 11, 2022
(offline)
Art for sure. I wasn't even aware there was another option lol.

If the art doesn't catch my attention i am highly unlikely to even glance at any of the words.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon