Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Share a Top 10 list of yours!
InkyMoondrop at 7:40AM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
Share a top 10 list of yours. Favorite works within a specific genre? Favorite movies, albums, tv shows? Locations to travel to, things to do when one's bored af? A top 10 of pretty much whatever you're in the mood for atm, it's always nice to find others with similar interests. You don't even have to share what your top 10s are about if you're comfortable leaving it up to the imagination of others. :)
InkyMoondrop at 8:24AM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
Top 10 movies where imagination is a core concept or it bleeds into reality

Brazil
Swiss Army Man
Synecdoche, New York
My Winnipeg
Dancer in the Dark
Birdman
Where the Wild Things Are
The Science of Sleep
The Fall
Adaptation (Technically not much about imagination, but probably one of the best meta-movies about the creative process)
moizmad at 11:03AM, Oct. 22, 2022
(online)
Top 10 Movies All-time:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Hannah And Her Sisters
Alien
Blade Runner
Manhattan
Crimes And Misdemeanors
Back To The Future
Eyes Wide Shut
Annie Hall

(last 2 tied for 10th)
InkyMoondrop at 12:35PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
moizmad wrote:
Top 10 Movies All-time:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Hannah And Her Sisters
Alien
Blade Runner
Manhattan
Crimes And Misdemeanors
Back To The Future
Eyes Wide Shut
Annie Hall

(last 2 tied for 10th)

Three from Kubrick! Nice. I myself have ~2 of his films in my personal Top 10, but I'm much more of a Tarkovsky fan.
moizmad at 6:32PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(online)
and 4 from Woody Allen!
Unka John at 7:53PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
Walt Kelly
George Herriman
Bill Watterson
E.C. Segar
Charles Schulz
Eldon Dedini
Ronald Searle
Hugo Pratt
Jack Kirby
Jack Davis
J_Scarbrough at 8:18PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
In terms of the subjects that have already been suggested. . . .

Movies (in alphabetical order)
  • BRUCE ALMIGHTY
  • DODGEBALL
  • ELF
  • FATSO
  • HOME ALONE 1-3 (yes, I like 3, don't @ me)
  • MOUSEHUNT
  • MY COUSIN VINNY
  • PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
  • SHREK 2
  • STALAG 17

Cartoonists or Animators
  • Craig Bartlett
  • Danny Antonucci
  • Darby Conley
  • David Feiss
  • Greg Evans
  • Joe Murray
  • John R. Dilworth
  • Mike Brandon
  • Mike Peters
  • Mo Willems

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
InkyMoondrop at 8:49PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
J_Scarbrough
HOME ALONE 1-3 (yes, I like 3, don't @ me)
MOUSEHUNT

Mind that I watched these both in the cinema, when they got released but Home Alone 3 was pretty okay and I've already seen the first two too many times by then. And Mousehunt… dude, Mousehunt was epic! Probably one of the most underrated family comedy flicks out there.
fallopiancrusader at 8:50PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
Top 10 sports/fitness activities, listed in order of favorite-ness:

1) skydiving
2) pole dancing
3) yoga
4) ice climbing
5) backpacking
6) white water canoeing
7) white water kayaking
8) weightlifting
9) hiking
10) rock climbing
J_Scarbrough at 9:29PM, Oct. 22, 2022
(offline)
InkyMoondrop wrote:
Mind that I watched these both in the cinema, when they got released but Home Alone 3 was pretty okay and I've already seen the first two too many times by then. And Mousehunt… dude, Mousehunt was epic! Probably one of the most underrated family comedy flicks out there.
Same here, although I have an amusing anecdote about MOUSEHUNT: when it came out, both of my parents really wanted to see it, and I thought I was going to hate it, because at that age (I was under 10), you just automatically think that any movie your parents are going to want to see is going to be some really boring grown-up movie that would put you to sleep, but yeah, it turned out to be great: probably the closest thing to a live-action cartoon since GREEN ACRES.

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 5:04AM, Oct. 23, 2022
(offline)
Top ten ways to procrastinate and keep from working on your webcomic.

1. Be depressed (best if develop the self feeding mantra of I'm depressed and so can't work on the comic and I can't work on the comic and so I'm depressed)
2. Stare at a blank screen or piece of paper waiting for blood to form on your forehead.
3. Gaming
4. Research and reading (hey it's all potentially for the comic)
5. Participate in online social media (this actually counts four times, but here only listed once)
6. Watch shows and movies (counts twice if you purposely watch things you hate so you can convince yourself your comic is better)
7. Read comics or manga (see #6 for bonus points)
8. Pace and or long walks (no other exercise is acceptable for procrastination)
9. Make top ten lists (you thought it wouldn't make it onto the list?)
10. Sleep
Andreas_Helixfinger at 9:58PM, Oct. 23, 2022
(offline)
Top 10 of comics/mangas/manhwas that has inspired webcomics I make.

1. Heavy Metal (Pretty much the inspiration for all of my comics in terms of artstyle and imagination)
2. TMNT by Archie (A big one in terms of my artsyle. But it's particularly an inspiration for the Octopirates in my comic Endtide)
3. The Duck Avenger (This was a GREAT comic series to grow up with, featuring Donald Duck as a Marvel/DC style superhero. A definite inspiration for my Molly Lusc comic.)
4. Blacksad (Probably the best furry/noir comic I know of. Also a definite inspiration for Molly Lusc)
5. Ichi the Killer (This manga is probably the sickest I've ever read, but it made such an impression on me with its destructive urges beyond all control and reason theme. It's the inspiration for Zoe Gambol, a character of mine in my comic Idfestation.)
6. X-Men (Greatly inspired the mutant theme in my comics, as well as the design of the Iddlings in Idfestation)
7. Ragnarök (A high-fantasy manhwa set in the world of Norse mythology that inspired the worldbuilding of Imsies the Imthology)
8. Svarta Tomtebloss (Title translates to Black Sparklers in english. A very dark fantasy comic about fairy people. An inspiration for Imsies and Idfestation)
9. Sandman (I believe this inspired the genre blending going on in the overall universe my comics are set in. It's hard to come across any better genre blender franchises then Sandman)
10. Tintin (Another Inspiration for Molly Lusc.)

last edited on Oct. 23, 2022 10:05PM
Ozoneocean at 3:16AM, Oct. 24, 2022
(online)
Top ten battleships of all time:
(Battleships are a specific class of ship, not just any type of warship)

1: HMS Malaya.
-Queen Elizabeth class super-dreadnought. A fast battleship from WW1 that made it all the way through WW2 as well, without losing her elegant good looks like her sisters, or sinking like HMS Barham. She had a beautiful silhouette, helped by the large, towering tripod mast. Her trunked funnel added to the looks too.

2: USS Texas.
The only WW1 style super-dreadnought battleship still in existence. She's no as pretty as the British super-dreadnoughts but she gets points for still existing and the fact you can still see her today!

3: USS New Jersey.
Not as pretty as her sisters due to the T-shaped platform on her tower, but she's massively powerful, still exists today, and she's a great example of a WW2 fast battleship. Slim and elegant. She was the first battleship I ever saw in real life back in the 1980s, and I got to visit her and her sister Missouri while they wee still in active service for the lead up to the first Iraq war.

4: USS Missouri.
Many of the same points as above, but this was also the ship that witnessed the official end of WW2 when Emperor Hirohito came on board to sign his surrender. This ship was also featured in Steven Segal's best movie , Under Siege, and Cher's hit video for “If I could Turn Back Time”.

5: HMS Warspite
For being a tank. She shot up everything and got hit with everything and still made it through both world wars. Unfortunately she got uglified during refits.

6. French battleship Richelieu
The weirdest, most modern looking battleship (along with Jean Bart) that existed. She had two gigantic turrets with four guns each forward of her superstructure. She looks like something from Star Wars.

7: All of the British “R” class.
These were compact ships with elegant looks. The best thing about them were their names though, which come directly from the days of cannons, cutlases and square sails: Revenge, Royal Oak, Royal Sovereign, Resolution, and Ramillies! And even “Arkhangelsk” (Arch Angel) when Royal Sovereign became Soviet briefly.

8: Yamato.
This ship and her Sister Musashi were giant monsters. The heaviest battleships with the largest guns (18 inches wide).
They both had amazing looks, bristling with guns pointing at all angles. They look just as heavy and bulky as they are but still have a look of elegance and speed never the less due to the angles of their shapes.

9: Bismark.
This was a well designed gothic monster. Every centimeter a warship. She wasn't pretty but she was very purposeful in her looks, just pure mechanical “war”, she was a real shark of a ship. Her turrets are all squared off in true German fashion… they had this thing for squared off designs in all their war gear- from helmets to tanks, to aeroplane cockpits etc. While The USA loved their curves, Russia loved their awkward bulges, Brittan went for elegance (initially and then blocky, awkward shapes), Germany loved their Teutonic squares.

10: HMS Vanguard.
The world's final battleship. Probably the most modern iteration of the class, made after WW2 had ended and the era of fighting with sea based mobile armoured fortresses against other fortresses with massive artillery was over. She was elegantly functional and far more seaworthy than the US's best battleships (Iowa class). She would have been a capable ship at least up until the 196os and maybe even the 1980s with upgrades but the UK couldn't afford such an extravagance anymore so she had to be scrapped.
bravo1102 at 6:05AM, Oct. 24, 2022
(offline)
No love for North Carolina and Washington? They were everywhere in the Pacific just like Warspite was everywhere in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. North Carolina and Washington also had big gun engagements with other capitol ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The New Jersey, Missouri and Texas only ever bombarded beaches and provided anti aircraft protection.

Don't worry I will resist all temptation to hijack this thread with endless top ten lists of aircraft and armored fighting vehicles. You can see any number of top ten tank videos on the Tank Museum YouTube channel.
Ozoneocean at 8:30AM, Oct. 24, 2022
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Don't worry I will resist all temptation to hijack this thread with endless top ten lists of aircraft and armored fighting vehicles. You can see any number of top ten tank videos on the Tank Museum YouTube channel.
I'm watching one of the Tank Museum's youtube vids now XD
Those are good ships but not in my top ten haha!
Warspite wins out because of its amazing name. The Brits really did have the best names… From Dreadnought to Warspite to Revenge… I could do a top ten on the names alone!
bravo1102 at 9:09AM, Oct. 24, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Warspite wins out because of its amazing name. The Brits really did have the best names… From Dreadnought to Warspite to Revenge… I could do a top ten on the names alone!
Seen a few great gag threads on the most unlikely In- name
Indefatigable
Inflexible
Indefinite
Indefensible
Inexactly
Inexcusable
Inexorable
Indoubtedly
Insolvency
Instead
Etc
last edited on Oct. 24, 2022 9:11AM
Ozoneocean at 8:54PM, Oct. 24, 2022
(online)
“Incapable”
British love to name things with the same letter for some reason… Most of their tanks (not all, but almost all) have been named with a word starting with “C” since WW2.
So here is my top ten of British tanks with names starting with “C” based on looks:

Chieftain - Best looking tank ever. Sleek base and beautifully lumpy asymmetric turret that still looks sleek an nevertheless. Looks SciFi.

Conqueror - Great looking turret, looks massive and powerful, good looking hull too.

Charioteer - Pretty cool looking old style tank with a great big oversized turret.

Covenanter - Weird little tank but very neat and tight.

Comet - Good basic, simple looking tank.

Centurion - The first British tank to have a good looking hull, who's shape even influenced the Abrams and whose gun was used by everyone all the way to the 2000s.

Contentious - Weird looking SciFi tank.

Challenger (1, 2, & 3) - Not bad looking tanks but pretty dull really. This is the way a 12 year old would draw a tank. Simple shapes.

Cromwell - Big blocky turret! This tank is quite blocky but has a simple appeal. This is the way a an 8 year old would draw a tank OR a very creative 20 year old.

Churchill - British tank people like this tank but it's UGLY. Worst looking, most “Orkish” (40K) tank ever. Just a massive kludge of retrofitted ideas that don't fit together.
J_Scarbrough at 9:33PM, Oct. 24, 2022
(offline)
For Top 10 media influences, I'm going to have to break this up evenly into two categories: cartoons and puppetry.

On the cartoon front:
  1. COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG
  2. ED, EDD N EDDY
  3. COW AND CHICKEN
  4. ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE
  5. Rocky and Bullwinkle

On the puppetry front:
  1. The Muppets
  2. The World of Sid & Marty Krofft
  3. Shari Lewis (Lamb Chop, Hush Puppy, Charlie Horse)
  4. WIMZIE'S HOUSE
  5. Early YouTube channels (ScrapsTV, CheekTV, Transylvania Television)

Joseph Scarbrough
last edited on Oct. 24, 2022 9:34PM
InkyMoondrop at 5:29AM, Oct. 25, 2022
(offline)
COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG
ED, EDD N EDDY
COW AND CHICKEN
ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE
I watched these as a kid. Although my favorite would be Animaniacs, especially Pinky and the Brain, when it comes to cartoons that weren't just aimed towards a kid audience, I'll admit that these too pushed the limits on children entertainment in some ways that'd perhaps be somewhat difficult to nowadays. Maybe people were more chill back in the 90's, I consider myself lucky to grow up on “not-always-appropriate” content.
J_Scarbrough at 8:31AM, Oct. 25, 2022
(offline)
Oh yeah. It seems like since the mid-2000s or so, TV cartoons ended up becoming split into strictly for kids only, and strictly for adults only; kids-only cartoons seemed so incredibly watered-down with the lowest common denominator when it comes to humor and such (it's actually been scientifically proven that watching SpongeBob makes you dumber), whereas adults-only cartoons seem to forego any kind of storytelling or character development, and just put all their focus on seeing just how far they can push the envelope in terms of what they can get away with in terms of content, because, “Hur-hur! Derp-derp! You could never stuff like this in cartoons!”

Joseph Scarbrough
bravo1102 at 8:34AM, Oct. 25, 2022
(offline)
InkyMoondrop wrote:
I watched these as a kid. Although my favorite would be Animaniacs, especially Pinky and the Brain, when it comes to cartoons that weren't just aimed towards a kid audience, I'll admit that these too pushed the limits on children entertainment in some ways that'd perhaps be somewhat difficult to nowadays. Maybe people were more chill back in the 90's, I consider myself lucky to grow up on “not-always-appropriate” content.

And I was one of the adults that watched Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid. It started with Tiny Toons Adventures because it recalled my childhood watching Looney Toons and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

No top ten list could contain my influences. It's a vast list from Twilight Zone to the Marx Brothers, Bob Hope to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson Supermarionation series like Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds as well live action like UFO.
Even have tributes hidden in my comics. SIG.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 3:07AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
(it's actually been scientifically proven that watching SpongeBob makes you dumber)

I knew it!! I knew it!!! I knew that there had to be something terribly wrong with that show to make anyone of any age whatsoever to enjoy it! I think I've always despised that show, being a teenager when it first came out!! Nicelodeon!! Do humanity a favour and nuke that yellow, square-shaped migrane inducing abomination from existence already, please!!XP
Ozoneocean at 3:56AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(online)
Funny, Sponge Bob has a lot of elements aimed at an adult audience, at least the early seasons.

—-

Outfits I want to get:

1. Tuareg clothes.
Love this outfit! Especially in shades of midnight blue.

2. Traditional Bedouin clothes.
I've wanted those since I was a young child.

3. WW1 British fighter pilot uniform.
-As worn by Rick Mayel as Captain Flashheart in Blackadder Goes Fourth. It's awesome!

4. A Toreador Suit of Lights.
They're simply amazing. Bullfighting is an awful thing but the outfits are incredible.

5. A finely tailored, slim, double breasted pinstripe suit in dark grey.
I will have one made one of these days.

6. A Polish Lancer uniform.
Possibly from Napoleon's “red lancers”. They're so dashing.

7. Cossack outfit.
Loved those since I was a kid.

8. Suit of fluted gothic armour.
One of these days I will be able to afford to have one made or I will make it myself.

9. Tron costume from Tron 2.
Love those. With the LED lights. I want it.

10. Mariachi Charo suit.
Loved those since I was little watching Cisco Kid. I might be getting one soon
.. don't know how good it will be.
bravo1102 at 5:46AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(offline)
A Lancer uniform? The czapska would be very expensive. Then so would the crested Dragoon helmet for a line Lancer.

Sharpe series was smart and just did the framework for a covered czapska rather than the full headgear.
Ozoneocean at 8:01AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(online)
I can make one ☺️
I worked it out a while ago. The mettal fittings have to be bought but I can probably even make the front plate myself too.
Andreas_Helixfinger at 8:43AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(offline)
I just remembered that I've watched a lot of musical performances in my time. Here's my top 10 favourite musicals that I've watched performed on stage.

1. Wicked
2: Les Miserables
3: All Shook Up (I've not only watched this one. I've actually performed in it, way back when I was an active amateur stage actor^^)
4. We will rock you
5: Rock of Ages
6: Cats
7. Jesus Christ Superstar
8: Phantom of the Opera
9: Miss Saigon
10: West Side Story

Two honorable mentions.
1. Billy Elliot the Musical
2. Chicago (I've Only seen the movie. But if I had seen the stage perfomance it probably would have made the list if not topped it entirely)
last edited on Oct. 26, 2022 8:44AM
J_Scarbrough at 8:46AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(offline)
Andreas_Helixfinger wrote:

I knew it!! I knew it!!! I knew that there had to be something terribly wrong with that show to make anyone of any age whatsoever to enjoy it! I think I've always despised that show, being a teenager when it first came out!! Nicelodeon!! Do humanity a favour and nuke that yellow, square-shaped migrane inducing abomination from existence already, please!!XP
Same, but you know what was ironic about my situation? At that age, suddenly, to still watch cartoons made you “immature” and that you “needed to grow up,” because trust me, everybody who knew me at that time knew how religiously I watched certain shows like COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG or ED, EDD N EDDY, and my peers were always like, “Really Joseph, you really need to grow up.” BUT. . . . Somehow, SpongeBob was the only exception to that rule . . . apparently, it was okay to watch SpongeBob, and watching SpongeBob even made you cool . . . but even then, I hated SpongeBob - such a dumb show with dumb and annoying characters.

On a slightly related note, I can remember as a kid being the only one who liked and watched COW AND CHICKEN and ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE - none of the other kids liked either show, finding them to be too grostesque and awful to watch . . . but then, long about the late 2000s and into the New Tens, suddenly everybody loved both of those shows, but it seemed to be purely for nostalgia. Really makes me roll my eyes.

Joseph Scarbrough
lothar at 9:26AM, Oct. 26, 2022
(offline)
I'll have a go at this

Dune (David Lynch)
The Smurfs
Skinny Puppy
Sifl and Olly
Second Life
The Simpsons
Tank Girl
DisneyLand
Venus Wars
Anarchy Online

TheJagged at 11:46AM, Oct. 27, 2022
(offline)
Top 10 animated movies:

- The Last Unicorn
- Coraline
- Watership Down
- The Land before Time
- The little Mermaid (as stand-in for the entire Disney rennaissance)
- Samson & Sally (if you ever even heard of this one i owe you a cookie)
- Havoc in Heaven (also pretty darn obsure)
- Princess Mononoke/Nausicaä (i can't pick, equally good)
- Fantasia
- Yellow Submarine

tbh I have a hard time thinking of 10 life-action movies to list… i'm so much more into animation. I actually gotta go look into my DVD library real quick…

- Who framed Roger Rabbit (already kinda cheating with this one lol)
- The Princess Bride
- Alien (yes the first one)
- Legend
- Labyrinth / Dark Crystal (Jim Henson was a genius taken before his time)
- actually just add any/all 80s fanatsy movies here
- Spaceballs
- The Addams Family
- Jurassic Park
- The Relic (as stand-in for trashy horror flicks in general, and for being my very first legit “horror” movie watching experience)
fallopiancrusader at 11:55AM, Oct. 27, 2022
(offline)
My favorite choreographers:

1)Elizabeth Streb
2)Pina Bausch
3)Sankai Juku
4)Marius Petipa
5)Martha Graham
6)Twyla Tharp
7)Eiko & Koma
8)Dumb Type
9)Merce Cunningham
10)Paul Taylor

Streb and Bausch are my favorites, but the others are in no particular order. Eiko and Koma, Sankai Juku, and Dumb Type are collective choreographers, not individuals.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon