Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Deviantart Launches AI Art Generator - If you are on the site you and your art were opted in automatically
dragonsong12 at 1:18PM, Nov. 11, 2022
(offline)
Gizmodo Article

The article is definitely very pro this move and I'm not here to litigate the morality of AI Art. I just wanted to inform people this was happening and that if you don't want your art used you'll have to go into each submission individually and change them manually. (Apparently there's some kind of Google Doc to opt-out of them all at once, but I don't know the details.)

I'll probably leave mine because 1) I'm too lazy to deal with it and 2) my art is bad, so knowing it's in there messing up the algorithm makes me cackle madly with glee…but there's definitely something irritating about the idea that the site is making money off my art when I can't…
fallopiancrusader at 1:31PM, Nov. 11, 2022
(offline)
Hmmm… Maybe I'll go in there and load my profile up with tons of incomprehensible art, so that it ends up lowering the bar for the AI. Mwa ha ha ha!
last edited on Nov. 11, 2022 1:47PM
lothar at 8:58PM, Nov. 11, 2022
(offline)
Good idea.
Ozoneocean at 8:00AM, Nov. 12, 2022
(online)
There's an option for to refuse to have your art available to AI dta sets.
I don't know if that does anything.

I am 100% against people using their shitty AI to steal my art or anyone else so they can produce whatever they want. Artists should have to allow their hard work to be used for free like this.
dragonsong12 at 8:48AM, Nov. 12, 2022
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

I am 100% against people using their shitty AI to steal my art or anyone else so they can produce whatever they want. Artists should have to allow their hard work to be used for free like this.

I think that option was added after the backlash started (but I haven’t looked into it, so I might be wrong).

But the reason I quoted you was more that I agree with you pretty much entirely. I wanted to keep the OP a little more even to let people take it as they would, but I’m pretty disgusted by the auto opt-in. It’s so underhanded, because anyone not paying attention to the news is having their art used unknowingly. Have your AI if you must, but it should be auto opt-out not opt-in.
GeekyGami at 1:27PM, Nov. 12, 2022
(offline)
Just de-activated my Deviantart account.

Having been there for 13 years, it has only gone from bad to worse.
This is literally just the drop that made the bucket spill.

I'll now be posting exclusively to Newgrounds until further notice.
Other portfolio sites tend to be a bit too uptight.

I found a tool to download really rapidly from the site though, so I downloaded everything I had done on it, threw it into an archive, and uploaded it on Newgrounds.
last edited on Nov. 12, 2022 1:28PM
rickrudge at 6:08PM, Jan. 26, 2023
(offline)
dragonsong12 wrote:
Ozoneocean wrote:

I think that option was added after the backlash started (but I haven’t looked into it, so I might be wrong).

But the reason I quoted you was more that I agree with you pretty much entirely. I wanted to keep the OP a little more even to let people take it as they would, but I’m pretty disgusted by the auto opt-in. It’s so underhanded, because anyone not paying attention to the news is having their art used unknowingly. Have your AI if you must, but it should be auto opt-out not opt-in.

I’ve heard that because of the outrage over the AI Art Generator, that DeviantArt has changed their policy to deviants automatically opted out. I’m relatively new to DeviantArt myself, using it mostly to help promote my comix to the Duck from various search engines. I’ve heard that there are other art sites that are also using AI, so

— Rick Rudge

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon