Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Happy 2023! General Discussion Thread
Ozoneocean at 7:45PM, June 5, 2023
(online)
InkyMoondrop wrote:
Sometimes I wear sweat pants to work
Oh you terrible grot! XD
If I was working from home then it'd be smart PJs and a beautiful silk dressing gown (I got a lovely red antique one last year), but at work I'm pretty smart- Smart black leather shoes (good Quality, got them re-soled twice so far), smart trousers tailored to just the right length, either a long sleeve fitted shirt or a tight black turtle neck depending in the season, and a reddish brown 1930s style leather jacket.

…Shorts and smart brown suede sneakers in summer.

Ironscarf wrote:
Tartan bondage trousers, ripped Tshirts with carefully defaced pictures of the queen, orange and green hair stylishly spiked with toothpaste, a jaunty safety pin through the nose *sigh* what happened to standards?
That look takes a LOT of work! Realistically it's a pretty high standard because of the effort that goes into it. :)
When I do model photography there are a few girls that dress in the old punk and goth styles. I'm always impressed by the attention to detail.
last edited on June 5, 2023 7:46PM
J_Scarbrough at 8:09PM, June 5, 2023
(offline)
First Michael Bay, now Seth Rogen is ruining TMNT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
InkyMoondrop at 8:52PM, June 5, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:

Riiiiiight… well, I find it sort of refreshing, that for once they actually look and sound like teenagers.
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:00AM, June 6, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:

I have been looking forward to its release for months now. It has been written down in my official “Movies to Watch” list since last April.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Ozoneocean at 3:43AM, June 6, 2023
(online)
I liked the first two TMNT movies. :)

———-

This is curious… I don't think I've ever see a real old west pic of a “cowboy” with a sword.
I'm sure they must be out there but obviously it was a pretty rare thing if it ever happened.

The US Cavalry used them, soldiers from the North and South used them during the Civil War, there are plenty of pics with Indian tribes-people with European sabres and even a Japanese katana or two…
Around the world at that time people still commonly used swords all over the place.
So I wonder why they weren't popular with cowboys?

It's not even something that crops up in real accounts or in ordinary cowboy fiction- of course it shows up in the fantasy stuff but that doesn't count for obvious reasons.

People DID commonly and FAMOUSLY use big hunting knives for duels and fighting so it's not that guns were just more popular and high tech.
bravo1102 at 5:56AM, June 6, 2023
(offline)
Might want to look into South and Central American cattle handlers. Almost all the North American techniques and equipment to even include the wide brimmed hats come from there.
On the big island of Hawaii went to a cowboy museum. When they introduced cattle there they actually didn't hire US ciwboys but gauchos from Argentina and Brazil because the terrain and conditions matched South America rather than Mexico or the US.
Lack of swords might have something to do with the use of lasso and whips but that's only a guess. Argentina and Brazil gauchos were elite cavalry in the South American revolutions and didn't have sabers because of their skill with bolas, ropes and whips.

I should also mention that the US cavalry did not issue sabers to the troopers in the West after the Civil War. They were impediments to operations and the weight and bulk was better used for ammunition. I have a couple books on the US cavalry. My old unit 102 armor is now back to being cavalry which it has not been since WW2. Gary Owen and all that. US cavalry (and armor commanders discretion) officers can wear spurs, stetsons and sabers in dress uniform. So I am part of the cavalry tradition.
last edited on June 6, 2023 6:12AM
Ozoneocean at 8:54PM, June 6, 2023
(online)
Might have some bearing…
bravo1102 wrote:
Lack of swords might have something to do with the use of lasso and whips but that's only a guess. Argentina and Brazil gauchos were elite cavalry in the South American revolutions and didn't have sabers because of their skill with bolas, ropes and whips.

Interestingly you know those swords I got you to sent me from that auction in New York? One of them actually originally came from Argentina! It's an Argentine cavalry sabre from the 1850s. -Designed and made in Prussia, based on an earlier British design, and made for export to Argentina :)
usedbooks at 8:05PM, June 7, 2023
(online)
I have a house I'm selling under contract and a house I'm buying under contract. It's going to be really expensive compared to what I'm used to, but it will be a good place to live. (It's not more expensive than rent; it's just really expensive to exist these days.) It's out in the countryside, not a big property, but one where I can get chickens again someday. (I gave all my chickens away to ease relocation.) I'm glad to not be house hunting any more. I hate it so much.

Still stressed out of my mind. And all my art stuff will be in storage until August. Maybe I'll get to comic again someday.

Moving in with my parents tomorrow. Then to an Airbnb, a cabin on a horse farm, to start my new job while waiting to close on my home.
J_Scarbrough at 11:48AM, June 8, 2023
(offline)
Pat Robertson's dead!

Joseph Scarbrough
lothar at 2:55AM, June 10, 2023
(offline)
Not cool celebrating anyone's death.

I had to look him up, didn't know who he was.

We are all gonna die some day
fallopiancrusader at 6:02AM, June 10, 2023
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
Pat Robertson's dead!

I, for one, will not be shedding a bitter tear over the passing of that bigot.
J_Scarbrough at 8:49AM, June 10, 2023
(offline)
lothar wrote:
Not cool celebrating anyone's death.

I had to look him up, didn't know who he was.

We are all gonna die some day

Just about all of my LGBTQ+ friends have been acting like little kids opening presents on Christmas morning over his death (and during Pride Month no less - talk about poetic justice), and frankly, I don't blame them: this guy had been spreading anti-LGBTQ+ hate for just about his entire life, even likening the LGBTQ+ community to a mafia who were trying to take over the world and turn everybody gay . . . heh, I can even remember one time he was quoted as saying, “I am being dominated by homosexuals!” I'm sure the way he worded that completely escaped him, but that is such out-of-context gold that the mental images it supplies are absolutely hilarious!

Joseph Scarbrough
elektro at 3:27PM, June 10, 2023
(offline)
Pat Robertson was also against the criminalization of marijuana, believing it was a waste to lock up someone for 10 years for having an ounce of weed. He was a horrible person in a lot of other regards, but in that instance he was on the right side.
bravo1102 at 1:23AM, June 11, 2023
(offline)
Pat Robinson was an enemy of humanity. I would occasionally watch his show was I was into visions of the apocalypse and creationism. Had to know what the enemy is saying. He was one of big guns behind the religious right going back into the 1980s. But he's influenced so many others and fot every one of him that passes there are so many others spewing the same hateful antiscientific drivel.
Ozoneocean at 3:09AM, June 11, 2023
(online)
He was a dick but I'm more inclined to Lothar's side.

Speaking of contrary opinions, YouTube showed me yet another clip from the movie “Sniper” in my feed and the comments… “Would you kill the kid and the woman to keep the convey safe…?” All that testosterone moronity 😑

These people have NO idea.
These are the kind of morons who got all excited when they watched Red Dawn. Well guess what cockmonkeys, you're the Russians in that film now. That's right. That's who you are.
bravo1102 at 4:32AM, June 11, 2023
(offline)
Ozoneocean wrote:

Speaking of contrary opinions, YouTube showed me yet another clip from the movie “Sniper” in my feed and the comments… “Would you kill the kid and the woman to keep the convey safe…?” All that testosterone moronity 😑

These are the kind of morons who got all excited when they watched Red Dawn. Well guess what cockmonkeys, you're the Russians in that film now. That's right. That's who you are.
I once wrote an essay saying that the original Red Dawn was the movie about Vietnam no one could dare make. The US were the Soviets and Cubans in that movie. The Soviet airborne commander's speech was pure Westmoreland and the Wolverines were so the guerrillas.

Just like The Conqueror was the movie where John Wayne played a native American against the white man. Couldn't set it in the American west but in Medieval Mongolia it could be done. ;)
last edited on June 11, 2023 4:34AM
Ozoneocean at 8:12PM, June 11, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Ozoneocean wrote:

I once wrote an essay saying that the original Red Dawn was the movie about Vietnam no one could dare make. The US were the Soviets and Cubans in that movie. The Soviet airborne commander's speech was pure Westmoreland and the Wolverines were so the guerrillas.

Just like The Conqueror was the movie where John Wayne played a native American against the white man. Couldn't set it in the American west but in Medieval Mongolia it could be done. ;)
So true!

-Though John Wayne wouldn't like that idea from what I've read about him XD
kawaiidaigakusei at 12:21AM, June 12, 2023
(online)
ThrisbyDude wrote:

“FhlydixDude” can take some getting used to, but I'll take it completely over nothing.

Are you requesting that your username be changed to “FhlydixDude”?
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
lothar at 4:04AM, June 12, 2023
(offline)
I immediately thought about Mrs frisbee and the rats of nimh.
She's a strong single mom. I was crushing on her hard back in the day. Way hotter than Gadget. She has MMILF vibe going on.
bravo1102 at 5:12AM, June 12, 2023
(offline)
Actually it is different enough to avoid scrutiny. You could just take out the “H” for “Trisby” .You've already changed the spelling of the end to “y” and “frisby” versus “frisbee” has been accepted. After all the character in NIMH was Mrs. Frisby. Frisby is a name, Frisbee is the trademark.

Really irks me that some Incel way back when I premiered Attack of the ROBOFEMOIDS picked up the “femoid ” and would use it soon after in their first posts. It first gained notoriety on line in 2010 which just happens to be the time the comic started here. The comic actually premiered on a few action figure sites in 2008 and there were a few there who were proto-Incels. Now correlation is not causation but I've already claimed that it is a definite possibility as the term “femoid” is not seen in any media before my coining Robofemoid. So fuck them. It's mine. My use predates anything they can come up with and the first spike in usage correlates to the comic premiere on this site. Too many coincidences kids. In this day and age it's enough.

So when I die we'll slap it on my tombstone.
J_Scarbrough at 9:35AM, June 12, 2023
(offline)
Back in my PBS days when we used to have on-air pledge drives for children's programming (before the religious right boycotted us and caused our funding to take a nosedive) we always offered perk packages as incentives; usually, these packages included a t-shirt that had a different design every year (more often than not it was SESAME STREET themed, but it would occasionally feature other characters from other shows, such as Clifford), Chick-fil-a coupons (back when they weren't so open about their anti-LGBT activities), and circus tickets, but every so often, we'd include an additional perk, like maybe those little rubber bouncy balls, or a wristband, or something of the sort. One year, it was a frisbee (I think it was yellow with Big Bird's face on the disk), but then we got a note from our legal department that “Frisbee” was indeed a trademarked name, and we couldn't use it, so we had to call it something else . . . the studio then decided to call it the “Frisber” instead.

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:28AM, June 12, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
I immediately thought about Mrs frisbee and the rats of nimh.
She's a strong single mom. I was crushing on her hard back in the day. Way hotter than Gadget. She has *MMILF vibe going on.

*MM= Mouse Mom?

The real Secret of N.I.M.H. (National Institute of Mental Health) is that they had successfully created–out of their lab–super intelligent rodents that could read English.

bravo1102 wrote:

So when I die we'll slap it on my tombstone.

“Founding Father of Femoids”

ThrisbyDude wrote:
My reply:

“ ̶F̶h̶l̶y̶d̶i̶x̶D̶u̶d̶e̶ FlydiscDude” can take some getting used to, but I'll take it completely over nothing.

kawaiidaigakusei wrote:

Are you requesting that your username be changed to “ ̶F̶h̶l̶y̶d̶i̶x̶D̶u̶d̶e̶ FlydiscDude”?

I'll ponder about these for the time being, likely a hour or a day after work.
At least I have my second username (look at the signature) to fall back on.

Phew! Because the original spelling “Fhlydix” could have sounded a lot like it was referring to “Disks from Philly” or something of the sort. “FlydiscDude” has a very eighties nostalgia to it.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on June 12, 2023 11:29AM
Ozoneocean at 7:40PM, June 12, 2023
(online)
kawaiidaigakusei wrote:
Phew! Because the original spelling “Fhlydix” could have sounded a lot like it was referring to “Disks from Philly” or something of the sort.
Honestly “Fhlydix” that reads to me as “Feeling dicks”
I'd definitely steer clear of that name XD
kawaiidaigakusei at 3:18PM, June 13, 2023
(online)
(Green Check) The user “FlydiscDude” was changed successfully.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
J_Scarbrough at 11:31PM, June 13, 2023
(offline)
I got to experience a rare treat today in that it actually was below 80 degrees (or 26 C if you will) for my birthday this year, which means I didn't have to spend the day breaking much of a sweat! Unfortunately, we're usually already over 90 F (32 C) by this time of year, so for it to be that well below our (post-Climate Change) average, and again on my birthday, I'll take it!

Joseph Scarbrough
kawaiidaigakusei at 11:00AM, June 14, 2023
(online)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
I got to experience a rare treat today in that it actually was below 80 degrees (or 26 C if you will) for my birthday this year, which means I didn't have to spend the day breaking much of a sweat! Unfortunately, we're usually already over 90 F (32 C) by this time of year, so for it to be that well below our (post-Climate Change) average, and again on my birthday, I'll take it!

Happy weather for a happy day!
———
Best belated birthday, J_Scarbrough.
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
last edited on June 14, 2023 1:07PM
Ozoneocean at 8:49PM, June 14, 2023
(online)
@J_Scarbrough Happy birthday man!
bravo1102 at 1:36AM, June 15, 2023
(offline)
Wow! Happy birthday! So nice when the weather cooperates. :)
Andreas_Helixfinger at 4:04AM, June 15, 2023
(offline)
@J_Scarbrough - Happy Birthday, J. Hope you'll have a nice birthday cake to go with the nice weather🍰🍰🍰
J_Scarbrough at 8:25AM, June 15, 2023
(offline)
Thank you one and all, and like I say, yes, it was a really nice treat - even nicer still was the fact that the humidity was way down as well (which is usually an even bigger problem than the heat itself), so yeah, it actually felt quite pleasant this year.

It's funny though - you'd think with my being born in summer, and living down here in the south where it's usually hot 9 out of 12 months, that I would rather enjoy the heat and/or the summer season in general . . . not so, my friends. Yeah, I enjoyed summer as a kid because it meant three months of freedom from school, but as an adult, summer has become my least favorite season for many different reasons.

And if you think I'm exaggerating about how hot it gets down here, think again. . . .

Joseph Scarbrough

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon