Comic Talk and General Discussion *

preferred comic updates
Spooky Kitsune at 8:44AM, April 15, 2024
(offline)
how do you prefer comics updates? like one page every day or a bunch of pages monthly? I've been planing for my next comic and i'm not sure which one is I should go for…probably one chapter monthly because I tend to get impatient easily waiting for a page every day (as a reader) and it'll force me actually plan things out (as a writer)

but I wonder which one do you guys prefer as a reader or writer?
last edited on April 15, 2024 8:45AM
marcorossi at 11:37AM, April 15, 2024
(offline)
As a reader I don't see much difference, as an author I prefer to publish single pages because this way I get more screentime on the homepage.
J_Scarbrough at 12:13PM, April 15, 2024
(offline)
It's easier and more feasible IMO if its a single update on a daily, weekly, or even bi-weekly basis. I have nothing against a bunch of pages being dropped once a month, but sometimes, I don't have the time I'd like to to be able to sit and read them all in one sitting when they drop like that.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
bravo1102 at 1:18PM, April 15, 2024
(offline)
Single update as frequently as a page a day. That's also about the speed of my writing and creating.
I see it like a daily serialized comic like what used to be in newspapers going back to the 1930s. It's like Flash Gordon or Tarzan or even the newspaper versions of Batman and Superman. A webcomic isn't a monthly subscription but a daily or weekly one. Prince Valiant is still a weekly serial in the Sunday paper.

This medium is not like print comics. There isn't one print one a month. The newsstand is open every day and can update every day and not wait for the print run once every four weeks.

I should say that in my years doing comics I have tried every kind of schedule imaginable. Over time two to three pages a week has worked the best. This way the readers aren't overwhelmed by a mass of pages at once (and likely to get lost and read things out of order. It always happens.) Moreover, keep a regular schedule. If it's Tuesday or Friday you can count on a new page. The readers know it and I don't have to depend on the completely arbitrary timing of when my comic will appear on the site main page. If it's that day of the week, there is a new page.

It works. But then I've only done this for fifteen years with a half dozen different comics so it's not like I have any extensive experience with this.

I should also point out that this exact same discussion happens regularly and the same things are hashed out again and again. My methods have stood the test of time through the more than half dozen times this exact subject has been discussed.
last edited on April 15, 2024 1:23PM
Ironscarf at 4:06PM, April 15, 2024
(offline)
As a writer I agree with the above responses and if I could manage two or three pages a week then as bravo suggests, I would publish two or three pages a week on set days.

As a reader I would say the same. I've seen some people say they prefer a whole story in one update whenever it comes, but in reality they would most likely forget your comic ever existed. Habit is an incredibly powerful thing and if you can get people into the habit of coming back regularly on a set day or days, you will become part of their schedule and they are much more likely to be engaged in your comic.
Emma_Xross at 10:42AM, April 16, 2024
(offline)
I think what’s important is a mix of consistency and knowing what you can handle by yourself. It’s important to remember that we’re one person teams most of us and putting out comics consistently is a LOT of work. As much as I’d personally love to do a chapter a week like my favorite manga I can’t keep up with that pace, those authors have teams and assistants to help them and it’s still incredibly rough keeping up that pace. So for me personally the best strategy has been to build up a backlog and do two to three pages a week, either Mon-Wed-Fri or Tues-Thur. Idk if this is true for everyone but I’ve had poor viewership on Sat-Sun in the past? So I’ve avoided working them into my schedule. Either way your schedule is up to you and I think it’s important to really give yourself a hard evaluation and decide what’s realistic for you and do your best to stick to it. Even if it’s just one page a week! The more consistent you are the better you’ll retain viewership.
mks_monsters at 5:37AM, April 22, 2024
(offline)
Honestly, I'm not picky. I just like seeing a new page in general whether it is one or more than one. I have to admit that reading multiple episodes in scroll format is easier.

As for update frequency, I can accept it when an entire chapter updates once a month. When it's a few pages a day, I like it when it happens once a week at least.
last edited on April 22, 2024 5:38AM
Genejoke at 3:22PM, April 28, 2024
(online)
I find no more than one page at a time works best. Mass uploads on one day tend to get a bit lost in the shuffle.
Furwerk studio at 9:08AM, April 29, 2024
(offline)
I may try for a batch of pages at a time, but I STRONGLY prefer one at a time weekly posts to keep a schedule and build an audience over time.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon