Ep. 21, Page 62

smbhax on Feb. 28, 2014

Ended up spending quite a bit of time (come to think of it the drawing of this took me forever, too–for the longest time I couldn't figure out what to put in the upper right corner, mostly : P) waffling over what colors to use for this new scene; I just got the tube of Cadmium Lemon watercolor I ordered a week or so ago, and thought hey that's great, I can use it for this sunny scene (it's a bright yellow), BUT it turns out that it doesn't really mix well with any of my main colors except green (I used a tiny bit of it to give the night vision green on page 51 a slightly isotopic glow)–and I don't think I would want to do a whole scene in greenish-yellow flesh tones, at least not one that doesn't take place in a radiation chamber or something. So upon reflection I decided to stick with the magenta and ultramarine combo I've been using; it really does have a lot of range, and the red end of it gives a reasonably sunny impression, I think.
Also in this art supply shipment was a half-inch-wide flat brush, called a “one stroke” brush, which is kind of a silly name. I was a little surprised that the bristles (this is the Winsor & Newton model) end in a flat tip, rather than a tapered point, or line, and for my money that makes it less precise than I would like. But I mostly got it for big brush strokes, so I guess I can live with it–well that and I don't know who makes a better one. And the bushy end actually makes for some interesting split-bristle effects, like the hatching patterns in the purple shadows, or the sort of boxy stippling in the upper right; it can definitely create a different feel than the round brushes I've been using, so that should be handy.
Gee, it's a good thing I switched to a 26-hour daily schedule three weeks ago, or I don't know *how* I'd have been fitting all this watercolor experimentation in. : P Now if only I could figure out how to prevent Saturdays from getting completely squooshed as a result. ; )
Oh yeah here's a photo I took two days ago of a single page's worth of eraser shavings (minus the ones I tracked around my carpet = p):