Cohime

• Post Count
  • Last Post

Ehtmoph: A Simple Translation Guide

Hey everyone! If you wandered over here I'm guessing you're a bit curious about the great big world I've created for the comic of Cohime. This particular forum is dedicated to a simple translation guide for the language within the story.
Funny thing about that, Ehtmoph didn't start as a true language! Originally it was a code I made up back in middle school for passing notes between me and my friends. The idea was founded on a mirrored alphabet, but separating the vowels from concenents so the words will still be somewhat pronoucnable (theroetically, anyway) if spoken outloud.
The base code goes like this:
A=Y
B=Z
C=X
D=W
E=E
F=V
G=T
H=S
I=O
J=R
K=K
L=P
M=N
N=M
O=I
P=L
Q=Q
R=J
S=H
T=G
U=U
V=F
W=D
X=C
Y=A
Z=B
Also, some basic rules!
Letter blends like ‘Ch’ ‘Sh’ or ‘ing’ either do not change in the translation process, or they are shortened to their first letter with a ‘. So take the word ’Change.' If we only used the code it would come out ‘Xsymte,’ and good luck saying that one out loud without practice. With this rule it either comes out ‘Chymte’ or ‘Cymte.’ Technically, both are right, simply two different dialects.
This rule is not to be mixed! Say I translate the word ‘Changing’ it would either be ‘Chymting’ or ‘Cymti’, NOT ‘Cymting’ or ‘Chymti’. Like I said, the difference is dialect. Elven peoples like to speak without blends, while humans like to speak with. The only time you'd see this rule mixed is with a halfling, cause they don't know any better. XD
Double letters do not translate double. Let's take the word ‘Dabble’ as an example. Translate it without this rule, and you get ‘Wyzzpe’ and that double z both looks and sounds silly. Double letters get simplified to just one, and this goes for ALL doubles. So ‘Dabble’ becomes ‘Wyzpe’
The other big rule is plurals. For the most part, they are not used. The quantity preceeds the noun which is being counted. If a plural is used, it's a singular ‘S’ reguardless of the plural used for the word in English.
There are also several words that simply do not translate, or words specific to Ehtmoph that don't come back to English. I'll put a list of of unique words up later.
-Loor

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon