Networking & Community Projects*

Artists/co-writers URGENTLY
nerimon at 5:13PM, Aug. 22, 2007
(offline)
Hi! ^_^

I recently hit upon what I think would be a great idea for an ongoing comic-book series, full of potential, but I'm new to the medium and while I can plot characters, narratives and the like quite well, I'm hopeless at putting together the structure of the comic and have no artistic skill.

In short - I don't know how to go about writing to utilise the panels on the page, and I'd have nothing of worth to draw in them even if I did.

So I'm pretty much pleading with people here to help me xD This is a story I desperately want to tell but without the required help I can't do so, and it's so frustrating. Because of the nature of the story, it would definitely work best in the comic medium … I don't wanna say too much more really ^^;

A couple basic details for those interested - it's a superhero story, set around one person but is more of an ensemble story (like Buffy is about Buffy, but her friends are also significant characters too). I'm looking for a certain type of art; to be honest the main criteria is ‘professional’ because I intend to treat this as a printed and publishable comic rather than a webcomic, although of course I'll put things up here on this awesome site :D And the main thing I need from writers is just a competence and ease with the medium to best utilise the panels, and help me with story points, dialogue and other writery things.

Any help or comments would be most appreciated ^_^ Thanks!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
p_type at 12:18AM, Aug. 23, 2007
(offline)
Sorry, but I could'nt help but comment here. This board is FULL of writers with a completed idea looking for art and they almost never get anyone…. you have an idea for a story and you want to find someone to help but they must be “professional”? Wow bro…..that's something. Don't get me wrong I really do hope you find someone but given the current amount of information it would be hard (speaking as an artist) to commit to anything that vaugue.
Coming up with an idea is the EASY part, it's the actual making of the comic that takes all the time and the vast MAJORITY is done by the artist. For myself it takes a few things to get me interested in a project.

1. The writer has to be committed. Not just “well I think this could be cool”.
2. A really good idea of the story I might be working on…. if you don't want to post it here then allow for a PQ of a script sample.

For myself I don't need a writer to tell me how they want every panel to go…I just need a really good story to inspire those panels….and some really good dialogue doesn't hurt :) Please don't take offence I just thought I should give you a little perspective on the whole art thing. I draw and write so I know that I could write an entire scene in a matter of minutes but drawing that scene could take DAYS. My final suggestion would be to just start with a small comic…maybe just an episode in your story, that way you and the artist could see how things work and go from there. Every time I see an epic sized story that someone wants to do it's kinda scary art-wise due to the sheer amount of commitment involved…. just a suggestion ( although that's what a publisher would tell you as well, they don't trust epic sized things right away either :) )

p_type

www.blu3fir3.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
nerimon at 6:24AM, Aug. 23, 2007
(offline)
Hey, thanks for getting back to me, and I should clarify that I am most certainly committed. I have many potential story arcs, characters, etc - the reason I need a writer is for two reasons: because I figured the more info the writer gave the artist the better, and I wouldn't be too sure how to write panels or write them well; and because a writer would be experienced in working with other comics and would be able to help me if pages undeniably sucked, as well as helping me with ideas.

I could provide a rough plan of the first comic - just a bullet-pointed page by page description - very easily, but I didn't think that'd be enough.

And okie I shall say some stuff about the idea. It's set in a world where everybody has mutant powers, literally everybody; on a person's 16th birthday, an event called The Ceremony takes place, and it is at 16 that the person receives their mutant power. The story starts on the eve of the protagonist's 16th, and the first issue deals with what The Ceremony entails and his attitudes to people with certain powers - there is a kind of racism and pride among people who want their children to have ‘good’ powers, things that are impressive or useful to the community.

So Jeremy gets his power, and it's a good one, and everyone's happy and everything, but when he wakes up the next day he finds his power has changed into something much less desirable - his power never stops changing, and it is this which excites me about the idea, because a superhero with a power that changes every day or couple of days hasn't been done in the mainstream medium before, and it's such a simple idea.

Being outcast from his family because of his freakish ability, Jeremy falls in with what I can only describe as superpowered street punks, all people that have rejected or been forced to leave the world they once lived in proudly. They're not interested in the whole saving the world, power with respnsibility thing because they don't owe the world anything, and most people use their powers for that purpose anyway (people that can conjure water would mostly be firefighters for example). And the comic basically lets us follow this group as they wander through life, encountering narrative conflict and dramatic tension where they go.

In short - a bit X-Men, a bit Runaways, with a grounded punk feel to it.

No offence taken ^_^ Thanks for taking the time to say all that; and yes I agree about just working on getting an issue finished for now, because that would really help me to showcase the comic to others.
nerimon at 3:17PM, Aug. 23, 2007
(offline)
If no-one's willing to offer their own art then if they know anyone who might, I'd really appreciate passing this message on, but there's a wealth of talent on this site so I thought someone would be able to assist me …
mlai at 7:11PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
You can easily get “professional” quality artists/writers to assist you, if you pay them.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
nerimon at 7:56PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(offline)
Well if the comic sells they get a cut of every copy, of course, but I can't get the payment without the initial work, this is my problem.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon