Networking & Community Projects*

established RPG website looking to add webcomic
t_catt11 at 12:40PM, April 9, 2009
(offline)
Greetings, artists!

I am the webmaster of the Red Dragon Inn, a long-running RPG community that caters more to D I'm not deluded enough to believe that I have some new idea under the sun. What I do think is that we can do a funny, quirky comic that will appeal to the (gamer) masses (and possibly achieve profitability some day).

Here's the basic premise: our comic will follow the exploits of a group of gamers and the adventures of their characters. Some strips will feature the players, some will feature their characters, many will feature both. Most of the adventures will be typical fantasy/D&D type scenes, with plenty of monsters, knights, mages, etc. However, our players might decide to run a one shot sci-fi adventure over a given weekend, which could provide a fun change of pace for all involved. I won't deny that the characters are based upon a real life gaming group… I'm hoping that the kernels of truth will make it more appealing than straight fiction.

I would like to produce a comic that runs 2-3 times per week (either on a Tuesday/Thursday update schedule or - preferred - a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule). Before strip number one is published, I'd like a minimum of a month's worth of strips completed (preferably two), so that vacations, off days, sick days, writer's block, artist's strikes, and similar issues won't easily force us into the webcomic cliche of not updating when we claim that we will.

I am open to any method of creating the art itself, whether it be hand drawn and scanned, fully digital, or some mixture of the two. I do want 300 dpi digital copies of each strip, so that we won't have a problem printing them for merchandise later. I prefer that we do not limit ourselves to a set number of panels per strip - I am a big fan of the format used by Rich Burlew's “Order of the Stick” - not the art style so much, but the fact that he takes as many (or as few) panels as are needed to tell the story, and said panels may vary in size, as dictated again by the story.

I would prefer a one stop artist, but am open to the idea of one person to handle the drawing and another to handle colorization. It's pretty obvious that the qualified artist will have at least a working knowledge of fantasy and related areas (does anyone on this site NOT have an idea of how to draw a dwarf or a goblin?).

So, what's in it for you? You have probably guessed this, but there are no huge piles of cash to be shoveled around. As I am well aware that “big time” artists will likely scoff as such a lowly venture, I'm hoping to appeal to an up and coming artist who would like some quality exposure. I'm offering an equal stake in all potential net profits from the comic and any potential merchandise that we eventually produce related to it, as well as negotiable residual royalties from the same. I'm flexible and easy to work with, and will absolutely value your input.

So, are there any interested souls out there, or am I wasting my time? If you fall into the “interested soul” category, please contact me at osuddeth AT gmail DOT com.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon