Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Randal's Sprite-athon
Ian Jay at 6:04PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(offline)
Jesus
Titch
Ian Jay
T-Bone! What happened to you? You were gone for, like, an infinity.

~IJ

Yeah, Infinity was pretty rad; all that ominous blackness spaning off into the distance in every direction. Then I realised I had forgotten the chocolate chips, so I came back here. Now I've forgotten how I got there in the first place…

*points at the cake*

The Infinity Funfetti! Plague of worlds!

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
Anonymous at 7:50PM, Jan. 16, 2006
(offline)
I'm in. I'll do a story arc in my Golden Gamers comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
coinilius at 6:16AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
I used to have a sprite comic that had nothing to do with video games or 7EET stuff - it did have some pretty bad ‘sprite comic’ jokes, but the idea behind it was nothing to do with video games.

Using Iceman sprites from Megaman I created a comic called Jet and Joe which told the story of two eskimo brothers and there various trials against aliens, eggplants and Santa Claus :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:43AM
Titch at 11:46AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
Well I've had inspiration. So I'm in.

Doubt I'm gonna win with competition like Jester and Lyon though; that is some really sexy colouring for a pixel comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Randal at 2:38PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
Jester/Zwuh hasn't said he's competing, Titch. He just remarked that he'd already done what this contest is about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
Titch at 4:53PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
Randal
Jester/Zwuh hasn't said he's competing, Titch. He just remarked that he'd already done what this contest is about.

There you have to go, smashing my dream of seeing some kind of short extention to Screwball Island…
Zwuh at 6:50PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Titch
There you have to go, smashing my dream of seeing some kind of short extention to Screwball Island…

Bwahahaha. I live for causing this sort of turmoil.

Now to return to my underground smelting facility! AWAY!
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Enef at 9:36AM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
i have started mine, first page only so far though.

It will get to 10 soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
Titch at 12:05PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
Also, Lyon, stop stalking me, danmit!

Your not supposed to see my comic when it isn't finished :p
Titch at 12:59PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
Accident, huh? Well I'm watching you :P
Titch at 1:14PM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
I'm not stalking you, I have better things to do with my time. Like…play with this rubiks cube.

Comicness:-
www.drunkduck.com/Edge
Randal at 5:00PM, Jan. 19, 2006
(offline)
Contestants need to provide links to their submission here in the forum thread. But if you want to keep track of all the submissions, I've made a “participants” section in the very first post in this thread at the bottom of the post. As People add links to thier entries, all you'll have to do is click on their name in that section… as long as they've provided a link.
Hawk at 6:18PM, Jan. 23, 2006
(online)
I wasn't going to do this challenge, but then I realized I was signed up for it. Rather than just not do it, I noticed that I had been making sprites for a little person project game. I thought, “why not use those sprites?” So I think maybe I will do it. Sample:

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Randal at 12:50AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
oops, my mistake, Hawk.

But thanks for being a good sport about it and actually entering :D
CORY at 9:12AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
Really… I know what a sprite is, by literal definition, but some people here…

…just don't get it.

Because I could draw all of my comics in MS Paint… and that wouldn't make them sprites. Even if I drew them pixel-by-pixel.

So…post some requirements or something. A character sheet minimum or at least a character sheet (one of the main reasons sprites are sprites is because of their limitablity provided by these sheets).

I'm not joining though… just suggesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Rianeva at 10:53AM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
This sounds really, really interesting. I might join… it depends on if I could come up with a good idea. =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Titch at 1:25PM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
Joooin Rianeva.

Your one of the good guys (well ok, your not a guy as such, I was being metaphorical, danmit!) of sprite comics, be loud and proud :-D

And Hawk…thats freaking awesome, although the knot at the back of the bandana looks weirdly…static
Really… I know what a sprite is, by literal definition, but some people here…

By literal defenition, for the purpose of webcomics, a sprite is an image drawn pixel by pixel that is aliased manualy. Wikipedia does a better job of explaining it than me,
CORY at 10:37PM, Jan. 24, 2006
(offline)
I find pixel art and sprite comics to be different.

Pixel art is fine on some levels… it just makes everything look pixellated. However… dictionary.com describes a sprite as:

“sprite

graphics, file format A small bitmap image, often used in
animated games but also sometimes used as a synonym for
icon.”

Don't you guys notice a difference? I feel like I might be going clinically insaine.
Randal at 11:04AM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
yeah, sorry Teek, but you're going to have to come up with sprite sheets to work off of. If you want some guidance, there are plenty of people here willing to lend a hand.
Titch at 1:34PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
Jesus
I actually offered to help T_K with his sprites, and came up with something that looked moderately like sprites. The problem is that T_K isnt using a sheet, but predrawn stuff.

I got this with about 1 second of work in photoshop. Its as ugly as the worst sin, but they at least LOOK like sprites.

Anyways, on a completely somewhat related unrelated note, I lost almost all of my work, and am now working at rebuilding everything, hooray.

They use automatic anti aliasing, and thus aren't sprites. To me they just look like stuff thats been resized in photoshop. I'm sure that makes me some kind of pixel art critic.

I find pixel art and sprite comics to be different.

Pixel art is fine on some levels… it just makes everything look pixellated. However… dictionary.com describes a sprite as:

“sprite

graphics, file format A small bitmap image, often used in
animated games but also sometimes used as a synonym for
icon.”

Don't you guys notice a difference? I feel like I might be going clinically insaine.

For the purposes of this competition, a sprite is something that has been created using a pixel art meathod. Thats what creates the blocky look synoumous with sprite comics.
Silent_Ninja at 5:48PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
you can count me in if you still taking entrys
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
CORY at 9:55PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
Titch
To me they just look like stuff thats been resized in photoshop.

This is EXACTLY what I was saying to T_K over AIM (or some shitty IM service) and I guess he took offence to it.

He told me he drew every color, and made it look like that.

Titch
For the purposes of this competition, a sprite is something that has been created using a pixel art meathod. Thats what creates the blocky look synoumous with sprite comics.

This isn't the best example of KC's… but I never found any of his old “Block/paint-art” to look like sprite comics.

However… there is always an argument against how many blocks you can have in a line to make it look like a sprite. For example: Can I just draw with the pencil tool in Photoshop and say I drew it pixel-by-pixel can call it a sprite comic?

I just concider that a plain, old, drawing comic… but some people here seem to disagree?
Rianeva at 10:41PM, Jan. 25, 2006
(offline)
I'm definitely in; here's what I have so far. I'd add my thoughts on the whole “what is a sprite” thing, but I'm too tired to formulate them understandably right now. =p
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
T_K at 1:11AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
uh…. what now? you can honestly kick me out for all I care.. I'm just doing what randal told me were sprites… I dont DRAW them in paint, what I draw looks way better… I click it up pixel by pixel… and its boring… and I acctually do have a sheet of some sort but its just like all the stupid jack sprites I've made so far on a transperant bg so I can jut put em where I want.

but if I gotta make new ones I'm out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Hawk at 2:26AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(online)
You know, a lot of game companies scale down art to make sprites. It's not like they HAVE to be built pixel by pixel, like Legos. But the key feature is that they can't have that blending around the edges. That wouldn't look right in a game.

But you guys are arguing over how lumpy tapioca should be, and it's still pudding.

…or some better metaphor.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
T_K at 2:36AM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
I never liked Pudding I do not know why… besides if anyone wants to help me please do contact me on AIM MSN or YAHOO… I'd appriciate some help.

some help at learning how to be hated by all people who draw.
Chameloncholic at 1:09PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(online)
If you have nothing to say about the competition, please say nothing at all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Titch at 2:25PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
T_K
uh…. what now? you can honestly kick me out for all I care.. I'm just doing what randal told me were sprites… I dont DRAW them in paint, what I draw looks way better… I click it up pixel by pixel… and its boring… and I acctually do have a sheet of some sort but its just like all the stupid jack sprites I've made so far on a transperant bg so I can jut put em where I want.

but if I gotta make new ones I'm out.

What you got ignores practicaly every dissaplin of making sprites. On the other hand, Randal didn't bother to define ‘exactly’ what he meant by sprite comic, if you want to be a pedant about it, you met the origional rules because they where so vauge. Arguebly your entry is valid, it's just that your sprites suck.

I have two words for you, that defines why what your sprites fail as sprites. They are “Thick Outlines”. I defy anyone to show me proffesional sprites at thier origonal drawn size with outlines thicker than two pixels, at worst. Hell most sprites skimp on the black because they need to hold it off to show contrast where the creator is trying to make up for a lack of resolution. It's a waste of pixels.

I'll apologise in advance for the poor quality, I whipped it up for the purposes of exposing exactly how much you have covered up by making the edges so freaking thick. You can see from the trace on the left that it's a direct conversion from the origional “sprite” but now you have a neck, problems with things looking off centre, theres also a gap where his hair sticks out around the shoulder.

The sad thing is, the design you came up with would have fitted like a glove for the purposes of a sprite comic

Plenty of SNES games had edge blended sprites, so… pwnt.

Wrong again. The SNES had anti-aliasing effects and algorithms that it could apply to sprites. The sprites had to be drawn aliased to start off with though.

You know, a lot of game companies scale down art to make sprites. It's not like they HAVE to be built pixel by pixel, like Legos. But the key feature is that they can't have that blending around the edges. That wouldn't look right in a game.

*nods*

A lot of Capcoms sprites stared out life as drawings. Nothing wrong with that… hell, thats what I did with TK's sprite. They still have to aliased by hand though, and details have to be fixed to look clear and your still supposed to be keeping the colour count down, thats the stuff that needs finesse.

You know what, I'm getting tired of this cemantics debate. It's only happening because Randal didn't bother to define what a sprite was down to the last detail, and TK is a pedant trying to exploit that.

This isn't the best example of KC's… but I never found any of his old “Block/paint-art” to look like sprite comics.

They would fall down under the catagory that you couldn't take them out and dump them over another background easily. Too many hanging pixels on those outer lines.
T_K at 9:48PM, Jan. 26, 2006
(offline)
thanks titch but about the neck thing he did acctually have a neck its just he has a huge collar, the reason for that is that he is the son of death and he comes from hell, so Earth would be rather cold, basic concept from little nicky, couse it just makes sense!
Titch at 4:10AM, Jan. 27, 2006
(offline)
T_K
thanks titch but about the neck thing he did acctually have a neck its just he has a huge collar, the reason for that is that he is the son of death and he comes from hell, so Earth would be rather cold, basic concept from little nicky, couse it just makes sense!

Yeah, but the point is, if you enlarge to collar on the pixel art, it looks like he has no neck, and it looks odd. I like the desings, it's kinda sad they aren't going to see the light of day as “propper” sprites.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon