Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The death of a Legend.
lastcall at 4:42AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
rabidmochi
How come I haven't seen anyone mention this elsewhere?

I've seen it mentioned plenty of places.

rabidmochi
Uhh… and just who is he?

Aw, come on man.

Gary Gygax (July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008} was an American writer and game designer, best known for co-creating the pioneering role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson, and co-founding the company Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) with Don Kaye in 1973. Gygax is generally acknowledged as one of the fathers of the tabletop role-playing game.

Ithink it'd be safe to say that if it wasn't for people like Gygax and Arneson, we wouldn't have MMORPGs like WoW and CoH. I'm sure people would disagree with me on that fact, but dammit I'm sticking to that one. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
mlai at 4:59AM, March 17, 2008
(online)
lastcall
Ithink it'd be safe to say that if it wasn't for people like Gygax and Arneson, we wouldn't have MMORPGs like WoW and CoH. I'm sure people would disagree with me on that fact, but dammit I'm sticking to that one. :)
Wouldn't have all those fantasy genre animes/games coming from Japan either. And no Final Fantasy.
(Not in the cheesy form we know it as.)

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lastcall at 6:46AM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
mlai
lastcall
Wouldn't have all those fantasy genre animes/games coming from Japan either. And no Final Fantasy.
(Not in the cheesy form we know it as.)

I guess he created the interest for that group of people. But I'm not really sure he directly influenced it.

In fact you could say if it wasn't for Tolkien )
SpANG at 9:19AM, March 17, 2008
(online)
lastcall
In fact, ozoneocean already said that. Heh. :D
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
lastcall at 12:23PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
lastcall
In fact, ozoneocean already said that. Heh. :D

Did he? Whoops, sorry. My bad!

Some funny stuff:

-A strain of bacteria was named in honor of Gary Gygax, namely “Arthronema gygaxiana sp nov UTCC393”.

-Sync Magazine named Gary Gygax #1 on the list of “The 50 Biggest Nerds of All Time”.

-Following the announcement of his death and as a tribute to him, several Dungeons and Dragons players proposed to call a natural 20 dice roll (on the Dungeons and Dragons emblematic 20 sided die) a “Gygax”.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon