Networking & Community Projects*

Collaborn Visions is Recruiting Freelance Artists
SkylerVane at 1:27PM, March 6, 2008
(offline)
Update: It should be noted that the Intergration Profile(mentioned in the last paragraph below) is extensive and rigorous in its nature, so be prepared to do some thinking and make some decisions. Feedback on the contents of the Intergration Profile is most welcome from those who are sent a copy. There is no time limit to fill it out and submit it, but the sooner the better.

About Collaborn Visions ~ http://www.furaffinity.net/user/collabornvisions/

Freelance artists wanted for various aspects of comic production. Digital and traditional mediums, no prior experience necessary, but you must be able and willing to upload samples of work in all production phases you are interested in hiring out for. This does not mean samples for each project/production you might be hired for, just initial samples provided to C-V to show what you can do.

Artists able to handle all four major production phases - sketching/layout, textual layover, inking and coloring - are most desireable, but “applicants” who can specialize in a single phase and work with a designated production team on special commission are of almost equal interest. First Phase artists are the major concern at this time.

All styles and quality levels are desired and preferences as to projects of various natures will be considered very carefully. Adaptability and versitility as well as knowledge of various time periods are pluses. Pay ranges from $5-65 a page depending on your imagination, familiarity with various subjects, style, speed, quality and production role and may be bulstered with bonuses. All pay in connection with C-Vs commissioned productions is either on a non-contractual “pay-as-work” basis or will be under contract and involve retaining and production monies in advance.

Interested parties who respond below will be required to fill out an extensive Intergration Profile which will allow the executive staff of Collaborn Visions to fit your services and preferences to the needs of customers and to facilitate the creation of Production Teams to be advertised “For Hire”.

I-Profiles Sent Out: 7 Returned: 1
Becoming “on-staff”; FoxmanZEO
Collaborn Visions Fan Fiction Productions :~: BY the Fans, FOR the Fans…

It is easier to think outside the box if you don't even know you're in it.

Are you “On Demand”? Please plague responsibly…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
FoxmanZEO at 4:14AM, March 7, 2008
(online)
I'm interested.
'Who must do the hard things?

He who can.'

-Confucius.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
SkylerVane at 4:21AM, March 7, 2008
(offline)
FoxmanZEO
I'm interested, but can't help feeling slightly cautious.
Any links to similar groups, projects or organizations?

Then you are the smartest one to respond so far. I worry about the ones that don't question me. Everything I ever come up with should either sound too grand or good to be true.

No, no affiliations as yet, and I plan on none. As long as I can manage without executive help and outside funding and such, I plan to remain completely independant. I am actually unaware that simular service providers exist, though I might have assumed I am attempting to build nothing new.

I am sending you the Intergration Profile immediately…

FoxmanZEO at 4:37AM, March 7, 2008
(online)
(Sorry about the edit there.)
Is ‘Custom Comics’ (linked in F.A.) similar to what you're going for?
'Who must do the hard things?

He who can.'

-Confucius.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
Evil_Snuffkin at 5:51AM, March 7, 2008
(online)
This seems interesting, especially seeing as I'm a member of both Fur affinity and Deviantart. I was just wondering though; how much of an input do we get in the price we can set for our work?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
SkylerVane at 10:33AM, March 7, 2008
(offline)
Evil_Snuffkin
This seems interesting, especially seeing as I'm a member of both Fur affinity and Deviantart. I was just wondering though; how much of an input do we get in the price we can set for our work?

You set your rates wherever you want, and you will get what you can. Evaluate your skills, quality and style and see what you have to offer. You may find potential commissioners evaluate your work at less than what you feel you are worth, but I personally will have no mercy on commissioners; if they know what they want and want it bad enough, then they will pay for it as long as they can get it. The services and quality Collaborn Visions will offer will hopefully be on par with those offered by Atlantis Studios, but at much less cost.

As I am going into this business in the longterm with goals and hopes of making at least a decent living, the productions I personally fund will not utilize the most expensive artists, but that is of no matter now. I fully expect my productions will attract many “volunteer” artists, due to the nature of their commercial appeal and marketability.

SkylerVane at 11:06AM, March 7, 2008
(offline)
FoxmanZEO
(Sorry about the edit there.)
Is ‘Custom Comics’ (linked in F.A.) similar to what you're going for?

I suppose it is not wise for the little fish to make fun of the big fish, but I personally think the prices Atlantis Studios asks for its Custom Comic packages are laughable. For instance, the eight page Line Art comic package is $1,200…Collaborn Visions hopes to offer the same basic package for about $400. The prices differ for a number of understandable reasons, some of which can be imagined, others assumed and still others will remain unknown.

Two points are the writing and the printable files. Customers who commission work through Collaborn Visions will either supply their own written materials or will privately commission said materials apart from Collaborn Visions or through it. And Collaborn Visions will not specialize in to-go-commercial productions on commission, accepting almost exclusively private production projects, which cuts out the ready-for-printing aspect. There is good reason why Atlantis Studios does not offer printing and publishing services; such would be too great a gamble and most privately commissioned comics and graphic novels do not have a reasonable degree of mass appeal and marketability. Big business has to consider trends and be practical about its investment risks. Collaborn Visions will be more daring.

An obvious third point would be the Freelance Factor. The service providers on Atlantis Studios' staff are professionals who specialize in a very shifty market and have built their career to just about where they want it, whereas the “staff” for Collaborn Visions will be completely freelance and only concerned with making some decent money while doing something they enjoy and trying to break into the more major markets. My hope is that the freelancers who join Collaborn Visions now and later will never feel oblidged to go looking elsewhere. I hope to take all of them on a ride they would be sorry to miss…

I would have to say that I have honestly not thought to compare Collaborn Visions with Atlantis Studios before this. And having done so, I cannot deny there are simularities, but Atlantis Studios has pretty much carved its nitche and is trying to get comfortable and Collaborn Visions is prepared to shake the webcomics industry with some daring new sub-marketing moves and production concepts.

skoolmunkee at 2:36PM, March 7, 2008
(offline)
work a little harder at keeping it civil, Custard :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
SkylerVane at 5:05AM, March 14, 2008
(offline)
The Collaborn Visions freelance “staff” listing has openings for at least 93 more single and interphase artists. Need I point out that most professional productions have an artists team. Very few artists can turn out a comic by themselves as fast as desired by their commissioners, producers. In business, you can't have the finished product fast enough, especially when it is expected to make some money…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon