Networking & Community Projects*

Looking for a kick-butt, gritty artist - almost film-like
avenutolo at 9:46AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Greetings. I'm an East Coast writer who's working with a rep in L.A. She's expressed extreme interest in my comic script and has enlisted me to help find an artist to help move the project along. A few small things: The feel of the comic is non-hero, and extremely character-driven and non-manga/anime. We would need an artist that has raw, gritty sensibilities that are geared towards an indie-, cult-type book. Since the story is set in the world of tattoos, an artist with those sensibilities will be an absolute and definite plus. We would also need an artist who's motivated and dedicated (plus fast never hurts). As for pay? Well … If-and-when the comic finds a home, something will undoubtedly be worked out if the artist is game and, who knows, you just may be permanent for the life of the book. Skies the limit. Let's create something different and possibly start a partnership. I'd love to see your best samples as well as a brief note on who you are and what you've done (or like to do). Ultimately, I'll contact those I feel best suit the project and perhaps send out a few pages of the script to see a sample of your pencils. I'm sure my rep will also have a say on our final choice as well. Go for it! CONTACT: avenutolo@yahoo.com

P.S. BTW, there are some great webcomics online here! Very impressive. I can't wait to see who replies and what you have.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:13AM
Rich at 11:01AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
As for pay? Well … If-and-when the comic finds a home

If you won't pay up front, you won't find an artist. I guarentee it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
skoolmunkee at 11:35AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
It will be difficult to find someone to work for free, or for vague guarantees of publishing interest. :) Most people who work on a comic for no pay want to be a real part of it, a full partner, have some creative input, etc.

Where was that link to Mark Evanier's article? http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL209.htm

Good luck to you though. :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
avenutolo at 11:40AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Well … As any “starving” writer of sorts, I wrote the scripts, wrote the series bible, got a rep interested in it and no one paid me.

This is a good opportunity for an hungry artist who's style fits the tone of the book to get something going. I'm not making any money either and at the same level of the artist. I'm merely trying to find a creative partner to which we can hopefully get something going. Getting a third party interested such as this rep in the HARD part and that's done.

I understand that we all have bills and you may not want to work unpaid from the get go. I respect that. That said, however, I'm hoping there are plenty of artists who would be willing to have an opportunity such as this. I'm also in unchartered waters.
Inkmonkey at 11:54AM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Wow, this reads word for word exactly like the kind of requests several threads have been created complaining vehemently about. I thought it was a joke when I first read it, because it so much encompassed everything that everyone was tired of hearing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Rich at 12:19PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
avenutolo
That said, however, I'm hoping there are plenty of artists who would be willing to have an opportunity such as this. I'm also in unchartered waters.

If you're plan is so great, and so guarenteed to make money, then why won't you shell out money beforehand to your artist? If you're gonna make boatloads of cash, surely you'll make back the wages your artist will need.
avenutolo at 2:53PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
OK, Rich … I'll give YOU a shot… How much do you want?

23 pages of script… What's your quote? … for actual drawings and not circles and boxes.

I'll send you five pages of script to start… What's your rate?

Anthony
Rich at 3:56PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(online)
My style is neither gritty or realistic (Plus I'm kinda busy with some RL stuff right now). But you should probably tell everyone what your offered rate is anyways, since there are people here whose art style fits the description.
avenutolo at 4:30PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
What's the going freelance rate these days? … for someone who isn't a Rockerfeller…

note: said artist just might be a potential co-creator down the line
Inkmonkey at 5:47PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
A professional gets anywhere from $30 a page (for smaller stuff), to $150 a page (like the guys with exclusive contracts with a specific publisher). Of course, that's just for pencils, but if you add in inking (and perhaps coloring) for an amateur artist it shoudl even out. An idea like this generally falls in the $30 range. At this point you'd be best of shelling out $90 for some sample pages, and ideally a few pages of turnarounds (character designs). In fact, $90 should buy you a very good promotional set to be used for showing potential publishers; a few pages of narrative, character designs, and some promotional art. If you can give the artist enough creative control to make this “their” project nearly as much as yours, you can justify getting more and paying less. If you're desperate, you can probably drop it $50 to get enough to show people what it looks like (the designs for the main character, a page or two of narrative).

So, there you go. Front up $50 - $90 and you can get most artists to handle the heavy lifting. Let them in on the project on a personal and you'll get more out of them (unless, of course, your idea sucks).

Speaking of which, if you're going to solicit random people to help with this project, it'd be nice if some indication of the plot was given. “Gritty, character driven” comic set in the “world of tattoos” doesn't really give any indication as to whether or not it's a project worth getting excited about.

If your idea isn't good enough that you'd be willing to bet the price of paying an artist for their hard work, then there isn't much hope for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
avenutolo at 6:42PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
Thanks for the information … it's very helpful.

As for the project… It's called “LUCKY TOWN.”

LOGLINE: A character-driven monthly comic that centers
around the trials and tribulations of Rory McClain, a
tattoo artist in Atlantic City who suffers from panic
disorder.

CHARACTERS/OVERVIEW

The main character in “Lucky Town” is Rory McClain,
our protagonist. The story revolves around him and his
inner thoughts drive the book. Rory will be in 99
percent of the scenes in the series.

There are two main secondary characters. The first is
Cody Hutchins, Rory’s best and practically only
friend. The two met in the Marines at boot camp and
have been buddies ever since. The second, Carmen
Sanchez, is Rory’s girlfriend and a stripper in the
Toyland Go-Go Bar. She’s nicknamed “The Latin Black
Cat” to the public and is a major source of
aggravation in Rory’s life and fight almost
constantly.

I also have a bible that the rep suggest I write. It's like 40 or so pages.
skoolmunkee at 8:17AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(offline)
Inkmonkey, that was a very helpful reply. :) Thank you!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
Knuckles at 9:46AM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
This is what I generally charge for doing commissions and things, including sequential art. I know I'm not an ideal candidate for the type of project you're doing, since I'm a manga artist, but I was simply throwing the link out there to give you a general idea of how some artists charge when doing things like this. Of course, prices will vary dependig on the artist, so nothing is really ever set in stone. I think the first thing you should do is to find a suitable artist, one you can trust and then negotiate prices and legal stuff.

Good luck in finding a suitable artist for your project! I wish you the best, and that's awesome that you got your writing approved. That's really the first step to getting your foot in the door in the world of indie comics. :)

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon