Comic Talk and General Discussion *

PC World says Mac OS machines can now get viruses like PC's.
sandy at 8:05PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(online)
I just happened to be reading an article in PC World magazine, August issue, while on break and they stated that Mac OS 10 and Linux are also subject to computer viruses as are PC's. This is really new to me because I always thought macs were bug free. I didn't know this until I read the article. So I guess it doesnt' matter what type of computer we get, Mac or PC, they're still gonna get bugs and the only way to stop them is to keep up to date on all antivirus software. I wonder if Macs also get effected by adware and spyware…… That's something I didn't quite catch in the article…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Terminal at 8:16PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(online)
If I remember correctly, there was a virus for the Mac OS X in 2004, called the “Opener.”

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM
isukun at 8:17PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(online)
Norton has been on Mac for years. This is nothing new.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
sandy at 8:30PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(online)
Yeah, I heard they got them few and far in between but the article said that hackers are now coming up with more mac platform based virus material than back in the day when it was scarce. I wish I had that article on hand..
Inkmonkey at 8:32PM, Aug. 9, 2006
(offline)
equinox
Couldn't Macs get viruses before? I thought there was just less of them.

That's basically all there is to it. I think Macs are just starting to get more mainstream, so more people are making viruses for them. That, or PC users are pissed about those cocky Mac commercials (with the “young hip dude” representing a Mac and a chubby businessman representing the PC) and are now virus-bombing Macs to prove a point. After all, a good number of PC-aimed viruses were created by Mac users as something of a retaliation for the years of obscurity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
ccs1989 at 3:58AM, Aug. 10, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey
That's basically all there is to it. I think Macs are just starting to get more mainstream, so more people are making viruses for them. That, or PC users are pissed about those cocky Mac commercials (with the “young hip dude” representing a Mac and a chubby businessman representing the PC) and are now virus-bombing Macs to prove a point. After all, a good number of PC-aimed viruses were created by Mac users as something of a retaliation for the years of obscurity.

See, it's things like this that piss me off. Just because their computers were obscure meant that they had to create viruses for everyone else? Bastards.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
SpANG at 5:28AM, Aug. 10, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
Inkmonkey

See, it's things like this that piss me off. Just because their computers were obscure meant that they had to create viruses for everyone else? Bastards.

Unless you believe in conspiracy theories. Then you would have to think that Macintosh has a group of people that make them. :wink:

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
Titch at 2:07PM, Aug. 10, 2006
(offline)
Mac or PC, Anyone stupid enough to catch viruses these days deserves it. Theres a lot of hype about it, but these computer security issues only apply to people who don't have half decent protection and buisness with larger networks.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
spambot at 2:27PM, Aug. 10, 2006
(offline)
A friend of mine who is a Linux/PC enthusiast that always gets in arguments with his Mac loving boss made and installed a Trojan on his bosses computer in a matter of a couple of hours to prove his boss’s “Macs can’t get viruses” point wrong.
Where there’s a will, there is a way.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
sandy at 8:39PM, Aug. 10, 2006
(online)
Ahh, I see. So it is possible that macs can now suffer from spyware just like the PC? Yeah, I saw those commercials too, and I thought macs were virus proof at one point, until I kept up on PC world's article. I think I've asked around at various computer stores too. But I'll stick with my Dell. I love it, I'm virus free, because yes, I do take good care of it. I have my firewall up, update regularly, and also, I always get the latest version of my antivirus and spyware software packages. That way if anything new tries to come down the pike, it's automatically crushed. And for six years, not one bad virus. Trojans have tried but failed. Thanks to counterspy. So, yeah, if you know what to do and how to prevent viruses you can keep your computer bug free for a real long time.
isukun at 7:11AM, Aug. 11, 2006
(online)
Yeah, I saw those commercials too, and I thought macs were virus proof at one point, until I kept up on PC world's article.

As far as advertising goes, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Apple's commercials. They are likely the most dishonest company I've seen in years when it comes to advertising their wares, particularly when it comes to their computers.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Hawk at 1:29AM, Aug. 12, 2006
(online)
Inkmonkey

You said everything I wanted to say, and said it well.

And I agree with isukun, Apple's computer ads rank highly on my Bullcrap meter. They exploit PC weaknesses because they know there isn't a “PC company” to defend its platform. If there was, they'd be firing back arguments on all of Apple's carefully worded and deceptive ads.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon