Interviews

QWTD: n_y_japlander interviews patrickdevine!
lucky7s76 at 6:32AM, April 29, 2008
(offline)
Username: patrickdevine, which is actually my real name even though it sounds sort of made up.
Comics/Projects: Arbitrary Comix, Cricket�s Creature
In what part of the world do you live: I live in Portland Oregon.
Are you single/boyfriend/girlfriend/married: I'm single, not really looking to date anyone.
Day job: I work at a tech-support call center.

Could you tell us a little about your comics?

I draw two comics. Arbitrary Comix is really just random stuff that I've drawn and I had fun with. I'm probably better known for drawing Cricket's Creature which is a steampunk comic about a girl named Cricket who finds herself the caretaker of a cute alien that she names “Creature.” When it happens that the alien was stolen from an experimental laboratory and Creature's former captor wants him back Cricket finds herself in a lot of trouble.

Your comic Cricket�s Creature has a turn of the century vibe to it, where and when does it take place?

The time period's supposed to be early 20th century, and it's set in a fictional city “Saint Loraine.” As for what country it's supposed to be in I've left it somewhat open to interpretation. Either industrialized US or UK.

Your characters in the story have a very real feel to them, are they based off real people?

Cricket's sort of a composite of actual people that I know. Dee's based loosely on one person. Cricket's Grandmother is based mostly off of my great aunt. Dart's based more off a type of person, namely someone that has no problem using people to achieve a goal. The rest of the characters sort of have personalities that are tailored to their role.

Please take us through the process of making one of your comics.

Typically I'll have an idea for my next page, then I'll come up with a page layout and pencil it, then I'll put off lettering it for about a day or so. Then I'll add text and text and put off inking it until last minute. Procrastination is a big part of the process!

Now, let me be one of the first to wish you a happy one year anniversary on Drunk Duck. A year ago did you think that you would be still posting comics on the web now?

Thanks! Though it's still not quite been a year (though it may be when this interview is posted!) A year ago I figured that the story that I wanted to tell take at least a year. That being said it's really difficult for me to stick a project that long, I tend to lose interest after a while. The great thing about Drunk Duck is it's ability to renew my interest in a project. The fact the people can comment on what I've drawn is a great indicator that people have read my comic and they're responding to it.

What made you choose to do an on-line comic?

The fact that the web makes comics so accessible, I wanted to do a comic that could reach a large audience. I have done minicomics and zines in the past, I still do because they're fun in their own unique way and people seem to like reading them. Something like Cricket's Creature couldn't really work in a format like that because it's a longer story. Doing it as a webcomic seemed like the best way to get it done, and besides webcomics are great too.

Do you have a �muse� or someone/thing that drives you to make comics?

People that comment on my comics make me want to keep going. My room-mate (who also draws comics,) is great to ask for ideas, he was actually the one that thought of the basic plotline of Cricket's Creature. I almost never go with his ideas, but he's good for clearing up writer's block

Do you have any long term and short term goals with your art or comics? (please explain)

I'd like to compile the pages into a graphic novel someday. That's a very long term goal and I'm still not sure that it's a good idea. As for short term… finish the story for Cricket's Creature. I have a certain way that I'd like the story to end, I've not really properly ended a comic before and I feel that if I did give a story an actual ending I'll have achieved a goal of some kind.

After you reach those goals, then what?

I'll probably start another project. I've already got a few ideas for what my next comic should be. I have an idea for a space story, another story that takes place in the same world as Cricket's Creature, and I also have an idea for a sequel/spinoff of Cricket's Creature.

Is there any more information that you want your readers, and the Drunk Duck public to know about you or your art?

If anything, that I really appreciate them all. Doing comics without readers or feedback is almost like doing them in a void. And thanks.

Finally do you have any advice for young up and coming or new to web comic, artists?

Have fun when you're drawing comics, if comics are fun to draw then they'll probably be fun to read. Besides if it's not fun what's the point right?

Thanks for your time! and just to let you know, I faved your comic, not just because I'm giving you an interview, because of the art and story!

Thank you I like your comics too. If I can think of a good question about Japan I'll send it over!
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
amanda at 7:53AM, April 29, 2008
(online)
Very fun! Those are great questions, NYJ. I was waiting for this one to come out - I knew you'd have interesting things to say, Patrick.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:51AM
Steely Gaze at 12:58PM, April 29, 2008
(offline)
Nice interview you two! I love hearing the questions people choose to ask and the answers they give. It can be so informative. And just plain fun to boot! :)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
lba at 4:55PM, April 29, 2008
(online)
The way you describe it here made me curious enough to go look it up. And I give it a thumbs up. I love the sketchy, but still complete looking style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon