Due East Forum

Your Questions Answered (And Possible Spoilers)
dueeast at 3:17PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Y'know, thinking up forum topics isn't always easy but here goes…

For those of you who have read most (if not all) of the archives:

1. Do you have any unanswered questions about anything that's happened thus far or about any of the characters?

2. Is there anything you'd personally like to see happen with any of the characters?

On the latter, we do have a general idea where we are going with everybody, so I can't guarantee that we'll use every suggestion, but it is possible. I just think it would make for interesting discussion.

What do you think?
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:26AM
SilverWordz at 4:51PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
This is a tough one. Thinking up forum answers isn't always easy either :)

When it comes to unanswered questions, I can't really think of any specific things off hand. There's still a bunch up in the air for me (perhaps I need a refresher) about things in the past. Personal histories, character back stories. But then I'm a huge fan of that kind of stuff. I really enjoy seeing where characters have come from, and the driving force behind why they behave the way they are. I feel like if I know all that, the investment I have in their future is all the more real.

Even in stories with very clearly defined “bad” people or villains, I want to know why they became that way. A lot of times you find out it's something you can actually relate to. It may not excuse what they've done, in the same way that two wrongs don't make a right, but it makes it all the more human. This is kind of a tangent to the actual question though so prolly not much help to you.

I did mention elsewhere that I'm looking forward to learning more about Carolyn's family, and seeing Doug take a more prominent role in things. Which you said would be coming up. With the plans now for Doug to have lunch with Nathan, I'm expecting to see some of that. Even if just a snippet.

Seeing more directly what life was like for each pair (mother/daughter, father/daughter) both before and directly after the split up might also help to emphasize why exactly it is a challenge for them to be getting back together. Seeing the hurdles they've had to overcome. Flashback sequences are good for this, but I wouldn't rely on just flashbacks, because a story can get bogged down that way. So then it becomes more about dropping that stuff into conversations, or strong hints and visual and emotional cues.

I have no idea if this is of any help to you or even if it directly answers the questions you've put forth. I'll think on these questions some more as the new updates come out too. If something else occurs to me I'll be sure to bring it up. :)
dueeast at 5:21PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
SilverWordz
When it comes to unanswered questions, I can't really think of any specific things off hand. There's still a bunch up in the air for me (perhaps I need a refresher) about things in the past. Personal histories, character back stories. But then I'm a huge fan of that kind of stuff. I really enjoy seeing where characters have come from, and the driving force behind why they behave the way they are. I feel like if I know all that, the investment I have in their future is all the more real.

Yeah, we started the story from a very interesting point, skipping six years of relevant history to begin in “the present.” And yet, that's what the story demanded. It was meant to be a bit mysterious. We have slowly been revealing details about the characters and what happened. There's so much still in the works and even more characters you'll get to meet!

SilverWordz
I did mention elsewhere that I'm looking forward to learning more about Carolyn's family, and seeing Doug take a more prominent role in things. Which you said would be coming up. With the plans now for Doug to have lunch with Nathan, I'm expecting to see some of that. Even if just a snippet.

Not to worry, you will. And you will indeed get to see more of Carolyn's family in Book Three. I'm working on those pages right now, actually. :)

SilverWordz
Seeing more directly what life was like for each pair (mother/daughter, father/daughter) both before and directly after the split up might also help to emphasize why exactly it is a challenge for them to be getting back together. Seeing the hurdles they've had to overcome. Flashback sequences are good for this, but I wouldn't rely on just flashbacks, because a story can get bogged down that way. So then it becomes more about dropping that stuff into conversations, or strong hints and visual and emotional cues.

I agree. Book Two was about the most extensive flashbacking you will see in Due East. Any more like that and I think it would be too much. But it is important to convey the relevant details from the past, and believe me, those details are going to be conveyed!

You are definitely going to learn some more about what life was like for Doug and Phira after the split. And you will learn some more things about Doug in Book Three. Details about Brielle and Crystal and their life before and after the split are still a ways off but we'll get to them.

SilverWordz
I have no idea if this is of any help to you or even if it directly answers the questions you've put forth. I'll think on these questions some more as the new updates come out too. If something else occurs to me I'll be sure to bring it up. :)

This is of tremendous help to me. It does answer the question, if not directly then close enough. I love a challenge! :)
SilverWordz at 5:43PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
dueeast
Yeah, we started the story from a very interesting point, skipping six years of relevant history to begin in “the present.” And yet, that's what the story demanded. It was meant to be a bit mysterious. We have slowly been revealing details about the characters and what happened. There's so much still in the works and even more characters you'll get to meet!
Oh I'm all for that. Sometimes the best way to tell a story is by telling it backwards. Or from the present into the past. And honestly I wouldn't expect all the details to be revealed all at once. Where's the fun in that. A good puzzle needs to be a challenge.

I'm really excited at the prospect of meeting new characters as well. Not that I don't already love the current ones, but our lives are filled with all kinds of outside influences and interactions, I would expect the same for characters in real life setting.

dueeast
I agree. Book Two was about the most extensive flashbacking you will see in Due East. Any more like that and I think it would be too much. But it is important to convey the relevant details from the past, and believe me, those details are going to be conveyed!

Excellent. For reasons I've previously stated. :P
I'm not opposed to a good flashback sequence either, but it has to be 1. relevant, 2. to the point, and 3. not used too extensively.

dueeast
You are definitely going to learn some more about what life was like for Doug and Phira after the split. And you will learn some more things about Doug in Book Three. Details about Brielle and Crystal and their life before and after the split are still a ways off but we'll get to them.
I was guessing as much with the drop of Phira's trouble in school. There's more there I'm sure, she's a confident woman, but she has shadows of a troubled past. A credit to her she's become the person she is now.

And again, no need to reveal all the cards at once, I have no problem waiting to find out more details about Brielle and Crystal. Dropping pieces a little here and a little there keep people guessing and invested in finding out more and more.

dueeast
This is of tremendous help to me. It does answer the question, if not directly then close enough. I love a challenge! :)

I'm glad to help. :)
Tantz_Aerine at 10:31AM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Oh my! Most of what I wanted to say has already been covered! I will have to think harder to provide anything constructive to this thread. I promise I'll try my best.
dueeast at 1:41PM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
You can do it, Tantz! We've probably just scratched the surface of what we can discuss! lol!

Tantz Aerine
Oh my! Most of what I wanted to say has already been covered! I will have to think harder to provide anything constructive to this thread. I promise I'll try my best.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon