Harkovast- the forum

Origins of the Tsung-Dao
harkovast at 8:08AM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
Long ago, before the rise of the Nameless Race across the ocean, before the founding of the Nymus Republic, before the Darsai had been taught the codes of chivalry by Thane, there existed a race on the western coast of Vellastrom known as the Brorg-Dao.
They were a fierce, warrior people, who worshiped 73 gods of battle and combat (and one god of rain.) This reptilian race valued strength and courage in battle and their drinking halls would be filled with loud songs and tales of great deeds.
However, over time, the Brorg-Dao began to come to worship other, more sinister beings.
They began to venerate foul demons in place of their old gods, and over time their society came to be dominated by the witch doctors who served the demons.
The greatest and most terrible of the demons they served was called Tang-Roth and his followers came to call themselves the Tang-Dao.
Seeing the dark road the rest of their race was going down, many of the Brorg-Dao departed on board their long ships, travelling far to the south, where to this day they keep alive the ancient ways of their people, living as warriors and raiders who are feared throughout Vellastrom.
But for those that did not leave, a dark time came upon them, as different clans fought amongst each other for power.
A young woman, known as Zha-Tsung, looked upon the state of her people and realised that if things continued as they were, their race would surely perish from Harkovast.
She departed into the wilderness for 15 years. Exactly where she went is a topic of great debate. Some say she went as far as the White Kingdom across the eatern ocean, others say she managed to reach the mystical shores of Eldex and learned teachings from the Wizards.
When she returned, she saw that the situation in her home land had continued to deteriorate, with civil war raging unchecked and foul demonic powers being unleashed against the populace.
The people were shocked to see she had returned, for most had assumed her long dead. She had a strange calmness about her, something the war like clans were not used too.
She denounced the demons and those that followed them and declared that she had uncovered the source of the peoples suffering.
She declared that they were trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth and due to their chaotic lives, the people were ultimately harming themselves and this was the reason that their race was now dwindling.
She then announced that if the witch doctors or war lords disagreed with her they should send 100 of their best warriors to kill her, but if they failed to kill her, she would be vindicated.
Many mocked Zha-Tsung's strange announcement at first, but it soon became clear that many people (tired of war fare and blood shed) were heeding her words, so a great many warriors were sent forth to silence her.
The warriors rushed at her, slashing savagely with various axes and blades. Much to their surprise, Zha-Tsung moved with such speed and skill that they were unable to strike her. For many hours the warriors attacked her, but the grace and skill of her strange movements was such that not one of them could land a blow on her. Zha-Tsung did not retaliate or attack in anyway, she simply continued to move around them, evading all blows.
Over time the warriors one by one became frustrated and gave up, or collapsed from exhaustion. In then end, only one remained, Chan-Hoi, he greatest warrior of all.
Such was his great strength and courage that he refused to stop fighting, continuing to attack Zha-Tsung for a full day and a night after all the other warriors had admited defeat.
Zha-Tsung could have continued the fight in this manner indeffinitely, such was her mastery, but she took pity on brave Chan-Hoi, who would clearly fight until he dropped dead. So she delivered a single touch which immediately knocked the great warrior unconcious.
When he awoke, Chan-Hoi threw himself down before Zha-Tsung. He had fought many battles and had never been bested in combat before.
He announced that truly Zha-Tsung must be the one their people should follow, the one who could save them from their decline.
This demonstration of her abilities and Chan-Hoi's conversion caused many to flock to her cause.
Over time, her follows came to be known as the Tsung-Dao, in honour of their founder.
Zha-Tsung taught them about meditation, spiritual insight and harnessing life magic through elaborate martial arts.
The Witch Doctors of the Tang-Dao and the demons they served, realising their power was rapidly shrinking, launch fierce attacks against the Tsung-Dao. But their frenzied, uncontrolled attacks were no match for the calm precision that Zha-Tsung imparted to her followers (both in single combat and in broader strategy.)
Chan-Hoi became the first Shogun and his elite warriors the first Samurai, and they thwarted the Tang-Dao in battle in ever encounter.
Zha-Tsung did not set out to destroy the Tang-Dao through military might, however. Instead they were allowed to dwindle, as more of them gave up their war like ways and joined with the Tsung-Dao, while those that remained were destroyed through infighting, futile attacks against the Tsung-Dao or from starvation and disease brought about by the Witch Doctors mismanagement.
Within Zha-Tsung's life time, the Tang-Dao had ceased to exist.
When Zha-Tsung finally died, her spirit had achieved such a state of enlightenment that Tsung-Dao believe she left the cycle of reincarnation and became a god, benevolently watching over her people.
Chan-Hoi also ascended to godhood, as would other Tsung-Dao over the centuries, Moi-Lin, Bah-Nang and Ming-Pang. These five gods are the only ones the Tsung-Dao believe have so far achieved enlightenment, though eventually the Tsung-Dao believe that as a race they will all achieve this higher state of being.
These gods are not worshiped by the Tsung-Dao as the gods of most races are. Instead they are held up as examples to follow, of what can be achieved when the mind and body are perfectly ordered. The Tsung-Dao do not call on their gods for aid, but instead try to follow the example that the gods set while they were alive as mortals.

Tsung-Dao legend warns however, that Tang-Roth, the most evil of all the demons that once plagued them, was not destroyed and still waits for his chance to take revenge for his humiliating defeat, trapped in a cold realm in which there is no light, howling his hatred of the Tsung-Dao, over whom he still claims lordship. The Tsung-Dao say that if their race was ever to fall back into evil ways, it would herald Tang-Roth's release and return to the world.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:18AM
waff at 3:52PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
hmmm…methinks I scent a plot-point in Tang-Roth mayhaps even a bigbad.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
harkovast at 4:31PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(online)
Waff see how much better informed you feel when you come and read stuff on my forum?
Now you can look down on all those peasents who only read the comic and feel superior in your secret knowledge.
Woohoo!

Cthonic Cultist at 6:11PM, Feb. 26, 2009
(offline)
Of course I can look down upon those who came after me, right?
Boring and talentless I am.. At least I am occasionally insightful, maybe?
harkovast at 4:36AM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
As long as you dont look at me with that scarey avatar, Cthonic, you can look anyway you want.

waff at 12:55PM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
waff rule-of-thumb: If something is alluded to returning or otherwise appearing (magical items and ‘chosen-ones’ especially) in a legend or prophecy it will invariably be sought after by whatever group represents the antagonists.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
harkovast at 3:12PM, Feb. 27, 2009
(online)
Waff, The Enemy in The West has many evil plans and many sinister minions that He has yet to unleash.

Snowhunter at 8:17AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(offline)
I can see where the nameless would be like a legend come to life for the Tsung-Dao. Even if it is not the same demon as before it can use the terror from a legend as a tool.
harkovast at 1:47PM, Aug. 19, 2009
(online)
The Tsung-Dao have always been stallwart in standing against the West, as they recognise the extent of the danger the Nameless pose and are not caught up in conflicts with other nations to the same extent as some other nations (like the Darsai, Nymus and Ivos.)
They also have good relations with the Wizards, and so try to support the efforts of Eldex whenever they can. Their close alliance to the wizards is equivilant to the alliance between the wizards and the Ano-Chee.

Canuovea at 1:38PM, March 8, 2011
(online)
Tang Roth wouldn't happen to be one of the Evils, would he? Or are all the evils just special mortals? And what exactly is a demon anyway? How do they fit into the scheme of things? Are they physical beings? If so, what do they look like? This adds more than another physical race would… or are demons like they are in our culture? Not actually present directly?

Now, if Tang Roth turns out to be The KITW I'll be a little disappointed I think. All that secrecy about the KITW only to spill the info here…
harkovast at 3:09AM, March 9, 2011
(online)
The 14 evils were all mortals (heroic, bad ass, awesome mortals) before joining up with The Enemy.
In Harkovast the phrase demon is used to mean any type of hostile super natural creature. For example, someone might call Black River a demon.
It is equivilant to saying ghoul or goblin in our world, which are pretty subjective terms rather than a scientific designation. (Unless you are a dungeons adn dragons player.)
I wont get into the nature of Tang-Roth, as I dont like to confirm too much about the nature of gods/religious icons, but I can confirm that he is not the KITW.

That would just be lame!

Canuovea at 8:23PM, March 9, 2011
(online)
The 14 evils were all mortals… so are they not mortals now? Could they be called demons?
harkovast at 3:12AM, March 10, 2011
(online)
Anyone could be called a demon, in the same way I could call someone a “monster”.
I am sure this description could apply to pretty much any of the 14.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon