Hall of Shame

Furr Affinity does not love me
harkovast at 1:09PM, May 26, 2011
(online)
Here are a few choice quotes from the Furr Affinity forums regarding Harkovast-

Smelge
Go and look at some anatomy books. Practice. Your poses don't carry any motion to them, so they look like statues. Some of those panels, I have no idea what is going on because it's just too much stuff going on with a poor drawing style. Complex panels can be done, but you need to be able to show what the elements are, otherwise it just looks like a mess.

Toraneko
The sample comic you posted comes dangerously close to violating the 180 degree rule. I don't know what the next page looks like so I can't say for sure. I also feel like you've blurred the backgrounds too much, and this happens in all of the other recent pages I've seen on your site. Because they're so vividly coloured, this distracts the viewer from where the focus SHOULD be - which is on the characters. It's also blurred too much. There's also too sudden a cut between the fighting characters and the tiger character. Where did he come from? You need to lead up to a panel like that - in the previous panel maybe zoomed out a little more and shown a closeup silhouette of his head.

The way you do text and speech also looks very VERY lazy. All it is is a line, a white glow and the font Papyrus. I mean, REALLY? That just screams lazy to me. If you're doing the text digitally anyway, make the effort to do actual speech bubbles and use something that is not a stock font. Here is a good list of comic fonts and here is a tutorial on how to do speech bubbles in Photoshop - two resources I have used in the past myself.

I'm personally not fond of the way you draw animals, most of the time they don't come out looking like animals at all. They all look like they might have been designed by a child - eyes are too big and slant in odd ways, heads sometimes don't seem to have a proper shape, ears are at unnatural angles and way too pointy - and if you silhouette them, they will all look the same. A good task to do when designing characters is to block out everything and make it a silhouette, and see if it is still recognisable. http://blog.aviary.com/good-design-l…he-foundation/

Stratadrake
There's nothing wront with doing a webcomic out of personal interest – however, getting other people to become interested in it is another matter entirely. I once heard somebody say that a webcomic with great visual craft can survive poor writing, and vice versa, but if both are poor then getting others to read it is basically a lost cause.

Smelge also
I think the most offputting part, is that it wants to be a serious story, but the art style looks too immature. That style would work ok for light comedies or one-shots, but for a serious, dramatic series, it just gives the wrong feel.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:15AM
wordweaver_four at 5:25PM, May 26, 2011
(offline)
Furr Affinity hates anything with clothing and heterosexual characters.

A little bit of nudity and salami swashbuckling will bring them into the fold.
harkovast at 12:35PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
Stratadrake
As for me? I agree that the blurred backgrounds in the first two panels are completely unnecessary and distracting to the action at hand. The motion blur on the top panel implies the “camera” is spinning about the fighters, almost “Bullet Time” style. That's incredibly difficult to do in still media, and if this is just page one, it's actually a bit disorienting since the reader doesn't already have a preconceived image of the area all this action is taking place in.

As for the second panel, the type of blur implies an active zoom shot – again, not something one can easily pull off without animation to help. It isn't until the bottom panel that we get anything to establish the enviroment this whole fracas is set in. Nor is there any introduction, exposition or narration to clue us in….best case scenario is that one day, years later you look back on all this and think “Wow, I used to draw like that? What was I thinking?”

That one was interesting, as at the near end he implied there needed to be some narration or information to establish what was going on. I had to explain that there were other pages than the one I posted that set things up!

I have just given highlights of what was said.
I don't think I've taken anything out of context or misrepresented anything, but you can judge for yourself by clicking this link and reading the original forum conversation-
http://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/99946-Harkovast-A-fantasy-webcomic?p=2553677&posted=1#post2553677

Tiberius at 10:25PM, May 27, 2011
(online)
half of them sound like creative criticism for the most part, rather then blind scathing reviews. that's better then what you usually get on the internet.

also the majority of art on FA isn't erotic.
The post apocalyptic genre- one of the most optimistic of all genres.
Why?
Because we somehow survived the end of everything, and have built a pretty nice town to boot, sometimes with pig powered electricity!
harkovast at 7:21AM, May 28, 2011
(online)
Tiberius thats true, its mostly not erotic because all the things they draw naked are too gross and weird to be erotic…
I kid! I kid! Joking! Joking!
*does solidarity fist bump with Tiberius to show support for FA*

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon