Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Discussion on future tech and society - Monday Musing - Stopping hacking!
sunseeker25 at 4:06PM, Dec. 3, 2018
(offline)
posts: 88
joined: 4-24-2018

Here's the topic for today - please share your thoughts in a comment!



I think it's inevitable that it will happen in some cases. If you can't hack-proof a device, you have to remove the hack target, and some situations might mean this makes sense. Overall however I don't think it will become the norm; most people and organizations are not going to want to give up modern technology and in some cases won't be able to.
El Cid at 5:22PM, Dec. 3, 2018
(online)
posts: 1,155
joined: 5-4-2009
I'm pretty sure we do that already in many cases, as a failsafe.

But, as far as totally abandoning technology, no, the benefits outweigh the dangers. And while nothing is 100 percent foolproof, there are things you can do to drastically minimize your vulnerability, like using removable hard drives, having a closed network that's not accessible from outside, or even going so drastic as to use your own proprietary programming language and operating system that can't “talk” to other systems.

I think smarter security is the more plausible scenario. Cyber security is an arms race, and it's one which I think is actually weighted more on the side of the “good guys” than the hackers. Processing speeds cannot keep up with advances in encryption, especially if quantum computing ever becomes a thing.
JaymonRising at 1:19PM, Dec. 4, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
What a coincidence: I've actually been considering this ever since stalkers who hack people with no mutual humanity regardless of what gender they are (or what drugs they use to help them push away the guilt), were apparent to me in 2016.

The way I see it the internet has had its heydays around the end of last decade to the beginning of this decade and we're really just better off returning to the late 90s, when the internet wasn't the best source of doing everything like socializing, watching movies, or even finding work (trust me, I didn't last a semester in textbroker back in 2014). It's pretty much brought out the worst in us more than the best since we ARE annoyingly imperfect rather than just imperfect, and most have used the internet to destroy themselves.

I mean I've already tried most websites, and if I HAD to get a deviantart, think of an ambitious idea, use a twitter to meet people I look up to without having recommendations forced on me without my permission, or at least watch YouTube videos without feeling like that poor bloke who was “fatally labeled” in Bring me the Horison's Can you feel my heart video, I would. But you can't influence people's free will in anything except a negative fashion when it comes to them WANTING to enjoy/do certain things on the internet if you're harassing them. You're just pushing them away the same manner Nazis pushed the English and France out of Dunkirk.

So yeah, I'm probably just going to do one more thing before Christmas. If nothing changes after that, I might leave everything except my email. With the way things have gotten, all that's left is for Ivanka Trump to hold out her hand with only her thumb folded in and ask me “how many fingers am I holding” while wearing a MeToo tshirt.
JaymonRising at 9:08PM, Dec. 4, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
JaymonRising wrote:
What a coincidence: I've actually been considering this ever since stalkers who hack people with no mutual humanity regardless of what gender they are (or what drugs they use to help them push away the guilt), were apparent to me in 2016.

The way I see it the internet has had its heydays around the end of last decade to the beginning of this decade and we're really just better off returning to the late 90s, when the internet wasn't the best source of doing everything like socializing, watching movies, or even finding work (trust me, I didn't last a semester in textbroker back in 2014). It's pretty much brought out the worst in us more than the best since we ARE annoyingly imperfect rather than just imperfect, and most have used the internet to destroy themselves.

I mean I've already tried most websites, and if I HAD to get a deviantart, think of an ambitious idea, use a twitter to meet people I look up to without having recommendations forced on me without my permission, or at least watch YouTube videos without feeling like that poor bloke who was “fatally labeled” in Bring me the Horison's Can you feel my heart video, I would. But you can't influence people's free will in anything except a negative fashion when it comes to them WANTING to enjoy/do certain things on the internet if you're harassing them. You're just pushing them away the same manner Nazis pushed the English and France out of Dunkirk.

So yeah, I'm probably just going to do one more thing before Christmas. If nothing changes after that, I might leave everything except my email. With the way things have gotten, all that's left is for Ivanka Trump to hold out her hand with only her thumb folded in and ask me “how many fingers am I holding” while wearing a MeToo tshirt.

Ah, and that's a reference to this scene, which isn't even the unforgivably worst (nor the most creatively sadistic) that I've seen an innocent fictional guy suffer these past three years, and I read the book! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKtpCo8fPE
last edited on Dec. 4, 2018 9:12PM
bravo1102 at 3:02AM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 4,889
joined: 1-21-2008
Cruel and unusual punishment for cruel and unusual behavior.

Incredibly brutal punishment for certain behavior including injury to loved ones (even Hitler would have been terrified to have had Blondi, his prized dog, thrown into a grave and machine gunned like happened at Baba Yar)

The assassins were one of the most horrific terrorist groups in history. The invading Mongols suffered at their hands. Then they hunted everyone of them down and built a mound of skulls from their remains. The same thing they did to all who opposed them. Surrender and be well treated, resist and die horribly.

Have no heart when it comes to the punishment of the heartless.

Break a bully's spirit and he'll never bully again.

Just like the troops at Dunkirk most can't stop the inexorable advance of an enemy intent on their destruction. But are forced to tenaciously defend themselves in in a series of rearguard actions. Unfortunately many people on the internet never have the chance to engage and destroy their enemies as happened later at El Alamein or after D-Day. Declare war, dig in a fight. Neil Degrasse Tyson hopefully will with Evidence versus hearsay.

Or gracefully admit defeat, bow to the victor and move on in the hope your chance will come.

If not, it always makes for a good story. After all 1984 was based on actual accounts from Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. O'Brien was based on any number of smooth beauocrats working for the Gestapo, SS, SMERSh or NKVD.

The Nazis effectively destroyed resistance movements wherever they found them. It was only with extensive outside assistance or becoming a professional army in their own right that a resistance succeeded. *Yugoslavia and Russia versus the examples of France, Holland and Greece)

Or I am completely wrong headed in my fears of future totalitarianism. It's happened in the past, the signs are there and it may not go the way we would like it to.

As O'Brien describes at the climax of 1984 when he talks of the image of the future being a boot smashing into a face for all time. Will there come a backlash to all this cyberattack and bullying? A backlash so many will find themselves supporting until it becomes a totalitarian state?
last edited on Dec. 5, 2018 3:06AM
JaymonRising at 10:33AM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
Maybe, all I know is that as long as people keep stalking others through hacking, everything else “good” that they do is immediately nullified and corrupted since they are only doing it for themselves deep down instead of doing the only thing the same person has wanted from them for almost two years now: to be left alone. (otherwise they can't heal and are forced to fight back, which is painful to point out since it SHOULD be common sense)
last edited on Dec. 5, 2018 11:06AM
bravo1102 at 11:18AM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 4,889
joined: 1-21-2008
JaymonRising wrote:
Maybe, all I know is that as long as people keep stalking others through hacking, everything else “good” that they do is immediately nullified since they are only doing it for themselves deep down instead of doing the only thing the same person has wanted from them for almost two years now: to be left alone. (otherwise they can't heal and are forced to fight back)

That's sounds like a question of personal space and obsession. Don't need hacking for that. Sometimes you need an intervention.
But someplace that controls and protects everyone who watches the watchers? Because Big Brother is watching you.
JaymonRising at 11:55AM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
bravo1102 wrote:
JaymonRising wrote:
Maybe, all I know is that as long as people keep stalking others through hacking, everything else “good” that they do is immediately nullified since they are only doing it for themselves deep down instead of doing the only thing the same person has wanted from them for almost two years now: to be left alone. (otherwise they can't heal and are forced to fight back)

That's sounds like a question of personal space and obsession. Don't need hacking for that. Sometimes you need an intervention.
But someplace that controls and protects everyone who watches the watchers? Because Big Brother is watching you.

That's easy to say when it's impossible to prove someone is hacking you (or when you weren't there to actually judge), but that's exactly why I'd rather leave the internet entirely: when no one will believe you and start telling you to have an intervention even AFTER you did just that the year they hacked you, that's when it's not worth getting paranoid over.

Like I said, after I'm done with the Secret Santa I'm just leaving. It's painful enough that I need to rent a laptop to actually feel like it's still the year before it happened.
bravo1102 at 1:03PM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 4,889
joined: 1-21-2008
JaymonRising wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
JaymonRising wrote:
Maybe, all I know is that as long as people keep stalking others through hacking, everything else “good” that they do is immediately nullified since they are only doing it for themselves deep down instead of doing the only thing the same person has wanted from them for almost two years now: to be left alone. (otherwise they can't heal and are forced to fight back)

That's sounds like a question of personal space and obsession. Don't need hacking for that. Sometimes you need an intervention.
But someplace that controls and protects everyone who watches the watchers? Because Big Brother is watching you.

That's easy to say when it's impossible to prove someone is hacking you (or when you weren't there to actually judge), but that's exactly why I'd rather leave the internet entirely: when no one will believe you and start telling you to have an intervention even AFTER you did just that the year they hacked you, that's when it's not worth getting paranoid over.

Like I said, after I'm done with the Secret Santa I'm just leaving. It's painful enough that I need to rent a laptop to actually feel like it's still the year before it happened.
I was there. Some of us have had long lives and really seen entirely too much and just know. (never do get used to the nightmares)
If it is that creepy and coincidental, claim your space no matter what anyone says. You're far too important to you. Heal and feel better.
Sometimes an intervention is simply agreeing to support someone you care about regardless of your personal opinion regarding their decisions.
Express your needs so others understand your decisions and carry out what you need to do.

It's what you need that matters the most because it's your life, not anyone else's.
last edited on Dec. 5, 2018 1:12PM
JaymonRising at 3:04PM, Dec. 5, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
bravo1102 wrote:
JaymonRising wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:
JaymonRising wrote:
Maybe, all I know is that as long as people keep stalking others through hacking, everything else “good” that they do is immediately nullified since they are only doing it for themselves deep down instead of doing the only thing the same person has wanted from them for almost two years now: to be left alone. (otherwise they can't heal and are forced to fight back)

That's sounds like a question of personal space and obsession. Don't need hacking for that. Sometimes you need an intervention.
But someplace that controls and protects everyone who watches the watchers? Because Big Brother is watching you.

That's easy to say when it's impossible to prove someone is hacking you (or when you weren't there to actually judge), but that's exactly why I'd rather leave the internet entirely: when no one will believe you and start telling you to have an intervention even AFTER you did just that the year they hacked you, that's when it's not worth getting paranoid over.

Like I said, after I'm done with the Secret Santa I'm just leaving. It's painful enough that I need to rent a laptop to actually feel like it's still the year before it happened.
I was there. Some of us have had long lives and really seen entirely too much and just know. (never do get used to the nightmares)
If it is that creepy and coincidental, claim your space no matter what anyone says. You're far too important to you. Heal and feel better.
Sometimes an intervention is simply agreeing to support someone you care about regardless of your personal opinion regarding their decisions.
Express your needs so others understand your decisions and carry out what you need to do.

It's what you need that matters the most because it's your life, not anyone else's.

What do you mean “you were there”? Explain to me in detail EXACTLY what happened to me on the 8th of April 2016 on YouTube. (Better yet: what was the name of my account that got hacked?)
last edited on Dec. 5, 2018 3:17PM
bravo1102 at 1:01AM, Dec. 6, 2018
(offline)
posts: 4,889
joined: 1-21-2008
A lot of people have been there.
You're not the only one who ever had something like this happen. You're not the only one who had to abandon a whole web setup and start again. Let alone abandon a career and start over.
last edited on Dec. 6, 2018 1:37AM
JaymonRising at 2:20PM, Dec. 6, 2018
(offline)
posts: 23
joined: 9-21-2018
All right.

Sorry about my nasty behavior. You are right: I AM new to this and it hasn't even been easily hard (nor does it help I'm an aspie). The last thing I want to do is abandon my career (I'm three quarters done) but hey, if this is what it's turning me into then maybe that's becoming less and less of an option now.

Again, I apologize for losing my cool: I'm just going to take a break from the more distracting parts of the web until next week, it's not healthy anyway.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Google+