Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Not getting on the same page.
Furwerk studio at 11:26PM, Sept. 10, 2022
(offline)
I like to share settings and ideas I know I won't be able to use with various communities like a few world builders on Reddit, and a few writer forums, in vain hope it will inspire someone to make something similar or use said ideas in their projects.

I shared an idea of a kind of twist of an Isekai where the standard names are applied for various races but they were actually furries, it went over well on world builders but bombed badly on a fantasy writers and trpg sub reddit, and a forum. The reason was “it was too different,” with one fantasy writer saying, ‘why use the names instead of making up new names?“ Kind of ignoring the explanation I put in the first post saying it is a bit of a tongue in cheek job about how in many fantasy works use gibberish moon tongue for basic elves, dwarves and dragons along with the expectations of a high fantasy setting due to the seemingly rigid rules set by the genre.

They hated that idea, not realistic or relatable enough to be considered proper fantasy. One poster even said it was too fantastical.

Another time I asked the question of, ”how and why would being a closet monster work as a minimal wage, no respect job“, I had this bugbear of an urge to make a dark humored creepypasta ”strange list of rules“ and it would be a freshly hired monster under the bed.

I got few nuggets of ideas like it is a semi-government funded job due to tradition but is a dying field due to a post-WW2 world, also being a minimal wage job and being a high stress, high danger environment there isn’t many rushing to fill positions.

I did point out the guidelines of no ”collecting energy/power“ to avoid being a Monster Inc knock off and the obvious ”monsters feed off of emotions".

But so much of the responses ignored the question and guidelines with telling me about how they are ambush predators that feed off of fear energy, or they are creatures that have no intelligence but only instinct.

They didn't caught on the idea was suppose to be a monster is hired to hide in a closet and scare a kid only to find out there is something very wrong with the location due to the previous employee leaving behind some rules.

I bring up these two long examples to show that some times a creator and a community just isn't on the same page when it comes to ideas and how they should be implemented.

Just thought it would be an interesting discussion.
bravo1102 at 6:42AM, Sept. 11, 2022
(offline)
Some people like their boxes and labels. Others just do not have the imagination to free themselves of certain rules and conventions.
None of the reasons to take exception sound like they come from anyone who's really ready to let loose and just chase a concept without it being grounded in tropes and expectations.

Beyond beyond is beyond them.

And Reddit like most other social media is full of limited imaginations who think very literally with few leaps of insight. Such people tend not to join conversations because what they say makes little sense to others and instead you get New Agers and conspiratorial thinkers who vomit a copy and paste view of the world.

So this can lead to curmudgeonly cynics and reductionists or people who take grand flights of philosophical woo-woo and never do anything but sound really great talking about what they're not actually doing.
last edited on Sept. 11, 2022 6:46AM
Furwerk studio at 11:30PM, Sept. 11, 2022
(offline)
I've taken calling those guys, “gull catchers”, a bunch of silly men running after facts and dates with butterfly nets trying to prove silly ideas that never existed.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon