New interface
Adam Black at 7:21PM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
It's awesome. I dig the hell out of it.

Good job, guys.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 8:33PM, Feb. 6, 2008
(offline)
It will take a while for me to get used to… but it sure looks cool.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
crocty at 12:17AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
You had BETTER be joking.

This is horrible.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
Frostflowers at 12:43AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
This…. this is bad. I really, really loved the old 'duck, and this new interface is confusing, ugly and, well, bad. :/
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Ikos at 12:57AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I think some of the new interface is great and some aspects I like less.
Maybe fuse the old and the new one? I mean the new comic controls are better for example. Though the new one has a bit of a stale and cold feeling to it, kudos to whoever designed it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Ozoneocean at 1:04AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
It's not Too different really… only the front page is a big change in look and usability. The collapsing faves etc. and the new top bar in the forums and such, aren't that big a difference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
usedbooks at 1:15AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Collapsible is okay in theory, but I don't like having to open them up again when I go to different pages. I wish I had the choice to keep them open so I can access all that stuff quickly and see if my favorites have updated just by glancing over whenever I'm curious. Plus, I miss front page news.

Other than that, looks good to me so far – and they're still working on things, so I'll be patient. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
mlai at 1:35AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
(1) Can we please just get rid of all the ****ing WHITE?!?!? What is this love affair with WHITE??! And no, I don't count this light-light-grey as different from white. Stop thinking white/light grey. Just change the background color scheme back to the old blue.

I hated the light background on SmackJeeves and I hate it here now. SJ is not the site to copy.

(2) And re-enlarge the text in the Forums, for God's sake. If you're trying to wean off a DD forum addict, you're doing a great job.

(3) The thumbnails on the front page needs titles. And the old Features box was much cooler, with the professional-looking rotating spotlight and the admin comments ready to be read without having to mouse-over.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Custard Trout at 2:09AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
What the fuck have you done to the forums? I have to keep enlarging the text to be able to read it properly, then I have to shrink it back down because the text on everything else I want to look at is huge. It's not centred anymore. The colours are just uncomfortable to look at, the blue was easy on the eyes, and it didn't seem to be shouting ‘look at meeeee!’. I liked the forums before, now it's actually a chore to not close the window and sit with my eyes closed in the dark until they stop aching.

And you're not going to do a fucking thing are you? Seriously, was anyone complaining about the old design at all?

There are things I like. Contarary to most people it seems, I like the new front page layout. Although I do agree with mlai about the news area, even though I didn't actually read it. I like the inbox thing that actually tells you how many messages you have, instead of lighting up as well.

Couldn't you take the good aspects of both designs and merge them?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
SPC at 3:11AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
Plus one on the “dig the hell out of it” column. I haven't been here that long but I can say overall the entire site now has a much more upscale/professional look and feel to it. Sure there's new buttons and things that will take some getting used to but as a newer member I was still learning about some buttons anyway. Some of these folks need to chill.

I like the cleaner colors - some of those wacky colors and textures can cheapen up the look of a site. Change can be good and you're off to a great start. All site redesigns take getting used to and tweaking. The beauty of the medium is it's ever changing - AND improving.

Keep up the great work DD Mods!

————–
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
lastcall at 4:11AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
It's OK, but the forums are harder for me to read (the font size is much smaller).

But SPC is right:

SPC
I like the cleaner colors - some of those wacky colors and textures can cheapen up the look of a site. Change can be good and you're off to a great start. All site redesigns take getting used to and tweaking. The beauty of the medium is it's ever changing - AND improving.

The change does make the site look more professional. Thumbs up!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Lord Shplane at 4:34AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I could honestly care less about the rest of it, but the colors need to go back and the text needs enlarged.

That's it though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM
mlai at 5:34AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I will heartily admit that the new “thumbnails with mouse-over balloons” format is much more conducive to exploring new comics on the front page. Just with a few visits, I have been enticed to check out some out-of-the-way comics that I otherwise never would have checked in a million years. The Quail's Random is a great idea.

The front page looks better with me using Firefox (rather than IE like before), even though I'm still waiting for borders and less-bright backgrounds.

And please change the forum back to the way it was, or at least its color scheme back to the way it was (and font size!). I've never heard of anyone complaining about the forum colors before, not here and not on SJ (in their “why I hate DD” threads).

Djeinus at 5:53AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I'll get used to it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
Steely Gaze at 6:27AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I've already commented on my dislike of the new interface, and I still find the white (or whatever the heck it is) to be hugely annoying. But what I find to be even worse, is that there are still pieces of the old site buried here and there. I really think that, if we're to have a complete makeover, we ought to have it fully finished, yes?

Although I will admit that, though I miss the news on the front page (was I the only one who read those?), I am finding the random comics there to be an excellent addition. This is definitely something that can help promote some of the lesser known gems here.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Darwin at 6:27AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I have to say I was very impressed with the new format for the site yesterday when it premiered! I love it!

The only detriment? When scrolling over the lowest row of comic thumbnails, the word balloon goes down and is hidden by the bar at the bottom of the window. Small stuff really!

I really like the effort you guys put into streamlining the look!

Great stuff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Loud_G at 6:34AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Great new design! I really like the smooth professional feel to the new navigation arrangements. I do like the grey, but not the white.

I would like an option to let the dropdown menus in the right sidebar remain open. I like to see my favorites and my comic control buttons.

I love the thumbnails for the top 10, new and random categories. Though…what happened to top 10 stories and top 10 strips….I did like the demarkation we had before.

The Featured comics…hmm..well, I do like that you can see them all at once, but well….it does not look nearly as smooth and professional as the old featured comics system.

Great work overall, I'm glad to see the site does not stagnate. :)
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
AccoSpoot at 6:36AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
No! I know i'm not a huge poster in any way, but this is freaking rediculous, it took me half an hour to log on (after continiously getting logged off and having my cookies lost) I had to search for my Webcomic and for some odd reasons, when I click the dropdown for my comics it comes up with a list of comics I've never even heard of, as other people have said, the font is so tiny I won't surprised when my eyes begin to bleed, the colour and format makes it looks like some hastily put together website you get from the backalleys of the internet, I miss the news (which I actually read!) and the commentary on the featured comics by (whoever it is that wrote them) this totally sucks, now watch as I instantly get logged out a second after hitting reply.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
SpANG at 6:41AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I have to say that even though I've voiced some concerns, the white isn't one of ‘em. Although darker colors may be more “cool” or “artsy”, white BG with black or blue lettering is the easiest format for everyone to read. If you want to make a site readable to as many people as possible, then this is the way to do it.

There are reasons that Google, ebay, Yahoo, and countless other sites use it. It’s site layout 101.

That said, I hope eventually there will be a way to personalize the layout.

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
silentkitty at 6:46AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
Well, like I said in the other thread, I really do like the thumbnails on the main page now, and I love love love the random comics being there now too. I do miss the news, but I'm not really sure how you could fit it onto the front page without making a huge mess of things, so I can live without it.

The white (or extremely light grey, whatever), I'm not keen on but will get used to.

The tiny font doesn't bother me, but I'm one of those weird people that will actually shrink the text in my browser because I prefer small fonts. Having the font small already just saves me a click. Hee hee.

Don't mind the collapsible menus, but I do wish that they would stay un-collapsed when I navigate away from a page.

The main thing that's bothering me right now, and I know that nothing will probably happen about this, is the ads. I know that ads pay for the site, and I know that ads have to be there, and it's fine. But there are just so many of them now, and they're all animated and it's really slowing my browser down in a very bad way every time I try to do something on this site. In fact, there's an Acuvue ad blinking at me at this very moment that's making my typing show up five seconds after I hit a key. This is probably due to my craptastic computer mainly, but really, I have this problem on no other sites that I visit regularly.

Er, anyway, just my .02. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
PIT_FACE at 7:01AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
AccoSpoot
No! I know i'm not a huge poster in any way, but this is freaking rediculous, it took me half an hour to log on (after continiously getting logged off and having my cookies lost) I had to search for my Webcomic and for some odd reasons, when I click the dropdown for my comics it comes up with a list of comics I've never even heard of, as other people have said, the font is so tiny I won't surprised when my eyes begin to bleed, the colour and format makes it looks like some hastily put together website you get from the backalleys of the internet, I miss the news (which I actually read!) and the commentary on the featured comics by (whoever it is that wrote them) this totally sucks, now watch as I instantly get logged out a second after hitting reply.

see?! THIS is my problem! that's EXACTLY what's happening to me!i'd actualy get automaticaly logged out every now and then after i would log in to post my pages for DD ZOMBIES. but now it's just all the fuckin time! and under my comics it's the same thing. i feel i could realy like the whole setup of that IF IT ACTUALY HAD MY COMIC AND MY FAVES IN IT! i see that in the alerter and stuff that Putrid Meat is still credited to me, which makes me feel better, but i cant check up on stats or anything. hell, i'm gonna have another page to put up, probably tommarow, and i cant!PLEASE HELP!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
PIT_FACE at 7:06AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
seriously, i dont care how the new interface looks, AS LONG AS I GET MY FUCKIN COMIC BACK!AARRGGHH!!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Product Placement at 7:31AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
I'm not a big fan of this new setup. It feels like a step back. I liked the rotating features and that you could read the comic news without having to open this collapsed thingy and then have to click on the appropriate link. I'll never bother reading it now. I say post the news on the front page and allow people to set the collapses so that they stay open at all times.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:49PM
mlai at 7:55AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
Change the Feature Box back to the format it was, then put the News in a scrollable little box in the now-empty space to the right of it.

albone at 8:32AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
silentkitty
Well, like I said in the other thread, I really do like the thumbnails on the main page now, and I love love love the random comics being there now too. I do miss the news, but I'm not really sure how you could fit it onto the front page without making a huge mess of things, so I can live without it.

The white (or extremely light grey, whatever), I'm not keen on but will get used to.

The tiny font doesn't bother me, but I'm one of those weird people that will actually shrink the text in my browser because I prefer small fonts. Having the font small already just saves me a click. Hee hee.

Don't mind the collapsible menus, but I do wish that they would stay un-collapsed when I navigate away from a page.

The main thing that's bothering me right now, and I know that nothing will probably happen about this, is the ads. I know that ads pay for the site, and I know that ads have to be there, and it's fine. But there are just so many of them now, and they're all animated and it's really slowing my browser down in a very bad way every time I try to do something on this site. In fact, there's an Acuvue ad blinking at me at this very moment that's making my typing show up five seconds after I hit a key. This is probably due to my craptastic computer mainly, but really, I have this problem on no other sites that I visit regularly.

Er, anyway, just my .02. lol!

I think that sums it well.

On the forums, its hard to read the ‘reply’ and active links.

I think the front page is excellent. The collapable menus staying up would be appreciated.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Bekefel at 9:08AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(offline)
I simply don't understand this new layout, it looks terrible in every way.

There is white space everywhere, ads everywhere, the buttons at the top have been completely dumbed down, the buttons on the side look shoddy, it loads slower, the main page is boring and the colours all around are awful.

In short, I didn't think it was possible to this much of a crappy job.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:19AM
subcultured at 9:11AM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
already a topic http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=39636&cid=226
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon