Meet, Greet, Show and Sell*

Why Did You Choose Drunk Duck to Host Your Comic?
Fuego Pocketto at 8:51PM, Sept. 12, 2011
(offline)
Googled free host, tried it. Gave up on it and then driven away from two temp substitutes that were gaia-lite and came back with this account because it won't send me a link to reset my email.
Such is lyfe in the fast lane.
TommyBrownell at 1:28PM, Sept. 23, 2011
(online)
Because a) the guy that we hired to revamp our website hasn't gotten it done and b) I kinda felt like trying to be a part of a larger community would be both more beneficial to us as creators, and more entertaining for me as a comic fan.
Check out Hellrazer the Series, every Tuesday and Friday!
Ken Cohen at 7:07PM, Sept. 26, 2011
(online)
Oh, how I LOVE to be artistically oppressed by a corporation that demands ownership of all my work! It's so great! I find it so amazing that I have no rights to ANY of my comics WHATSOEVER after I post them here! It's fantastic! You know, you can also just claim that I never did a comic in my life, just like Stan Lee! Because everybody loves to have their ideas and work stolen by an evil corporation!
HUMAN MINDS ARE WEEK
MyDesk at 6:45PM, Sept. 27, 2011
(online)
I just wanted to post and read comics. Yup.
swoobie at 6:12PM, Sept. 29, 2011
(online)
I heard this site was pretty active with users and that the users were good people. I'm a fan of good people who aren't “yes men/women”. People who aren't afraid to give constructive criticisim, and people who know HOW to give it. So far, I'm pleased with the interactions I've had with the people on the site.
Swoobie
http://bit.ly/oViqt5
passionfly at 3:39PM, Dec. 1, 2011
(offline)
I'm pretty new to the whole comic scene but it's always been something that has appealed to me. I recently decided to create my first ever comic strip (http://www.drunkduck.com/fishsoup/). I was going to use a blog to host my work however, after doing a little research most people advise to host within a community and drunkduck seem to come highly recommended. Sooo… here I am. As I say I'm very new to both reading and creating comics so I wanted to find somewhere I might be able to get a little feedback on my work, I dont really know what I'm doing so any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
wish me luck
Kate x
KingWasted at 8:02AM, June 22, 2012
(online)
I thought it would be more likely for people to see my comic here than on Deviantart. Not only that, but I've heard good things about the community and I'd really like to be a part of it.
jellykoe at 12:51PM, July 9, 2012
(online)
My art style has always been illustrative, and over the past few months, my fans have been asking when and if I would start a webcomic. I heard it so much, that I decided to give them what they wanted. I was real particular about where I wanted to host it. I researched a lot, and the response I got was resounding: Drunk Duck has the best community. I like the layout and the website looks sleek, but to me…community is key. I like the idea of being part of something that people can learn and share together.
AshenSkye at 3:19PM, Aug. 5, 2012
(offline)
All the comics I read back when I first started reading them were on GeoCities, Drunk Duck, and Keenspace. Well, Norton hated Keenspace and GeoCities liked to spam the hell out of their websites, so I became fond of Drunk Duck.

But if I had to start all over, no, I would not use Drunk Duck again. They removed the option for custom HTML, the text editing is pretty crappy since it doesn't allow double spacing without editting your post with HTML, and the statement “All materials contained in this website … including comic strips, books, art, illustrations, images, or text are trademarks or copyrighted materials owned and controlled by WOWIO, Inc. … and/or individual creators, and are protected by applicable trademark and/or copyright law.” is a bit of a turn off. If WOWIO thinks it owns my stuff, I'd better start getting a paycheck.
Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle!
My Webcomic: Just Another Day, Online since 2009
last edited on Aug. 5, 2012 3:21PM
ZepherPrower at 6:45PM, Aug. 6, 2012
(online)
AshenSkye wrote:
If WOWIO thinks it owns my stuff, I'd better start getting a paycheck.
Oh man, good catch. At first, I thought they meant site resources like the layout graphics and stuff, but it listed comics and illustrations. Kind of a self-contradiction with the Help page. “The Duck offers free hosting, and a community for webcomics. We DO NOT own any rights to YOUR comics. Federal copyright law is VERY CLEAR on this and is designed to protect the creator. Anybody telling you differently is uninformed or lying.”
I suppose that means the ToS is “uninformed” or “lying”? I don't know what to think of this site now…
worldsgreatestlover at 8:12PM, Aug. 13, 2012
(offline)
I ran into the quackcast and the people who participated presented themselves fairly well. I got a sense that there's a supportive community to artists here that are interested in improving their work. I wanted to be a part of that.
Comics may only be a hobby for me, but doujin work isn't really work at all. It's a heck of a lot more fun that writing cheesy novels.
AshenSkye at 6:38PM, Sept. 24, 2012
(offline)
ZepherPrower wrote:
AshenSkye wrote:
If WOWIO thinks it owns my stuff, I'd better start getting a paycheck.Oh man, good catch. At first, I thought they meant site resources like the layout graphics and stuff, but it listed comics and illustrations. Kind of a self-contradiction with the Help page. “The Duck offers free hosting, and a community for webcomics. We DO NOT own any rights to YOUR comics. Federal copyright law is VERY CLEAR on this and is designed to protect the creator. Anybody telling you differently is uninformed or lying.”
I suppose that means the ToS is “uninformed” or “lying”? I don't know what to think of this site now…

I think it might have been preceeded by an “and/or”, but I think a clarification on the ToS page like on the Help page would be a good idea.
Cogito eggo sum. I think, therefore, I am a waffle!
My Webcomic: Just Another Day, Online since 2009
Lottie at 11:39PM, Nov. 4, 2012
(online)
Well, I was obviously looking for something free.
I stumbled upon this website and liked the general aspect of it, as well as the name, haha.
So I registered and since it's pretty easy to use, I'm pretty sure I'll stick around.
I also like that you can customize your webcomic page layouts a little, makes it unique.
unagiUmbrage at 6:55PM, Jan. 1, 2013
(offline)
Hi!
I've been bopping around drunkduck for a while. I love reading webcomics and I've had a few false starts with my own webcomics. I've read and belonged to both drunkduck and comicgenesis in the past. While in some ways I think comic genesis is really nice, I never got much traffic or feedback there like I did on drunkduck.
The community here has always been really cool and encouraging! So, I'm looking forward to jumping into it headfirst. :3
PBandJ at 9:13AM, Nov. 11, 2013
(online)
I had done a search for web comics to see what was out there and came across the Duck. What made the decision for me was the openness to adult/erotic content with a rating system geared towards keeping younger viewers from reading mature content. There also seems to be more diverse content than on other sites.
If the site can stay up ;) I'll be sticking around. :)
BearinOz at 3:19AM, Jan. 19, 2014
(online)
PBandJ wrote:
I had done a search for web comics to see what was out there and came across the Duck. What made the decision for me was the openness to adult/erotic content with a rating system geared towards keeping younger viewers from reading mature content. There also seems to be more diverse content than on other sites.
ME : yes, pretty much echoes my thinking when I joined
If the site can stay up ;) I'll be sticking around. :)
ME : Ah yes, the BIG “IF” B-)
…and if I get readers…well commenters, anway.
…as for readers, can we have the stats back pleeeeez !?
…just so I know if I _really_ don't have any, since resurrection day
B-)
Ben_T at 6:40AM, Jan. 21, 2014
(online)
Out of all of the webcomic sites I searched and perused this one seemed like the best option, at least by what I've been told by other users across the net.
Rachel87 at 5:22PM, Jan. 24, 2014
(online)
I was teaching myself HTML and I bought hosting and a domain name from godaddy to host my webcomic. But I liked drunk duck because of it's friendly atmosphere and it's easy to use:) So I decided to go ahead and also put my comic here for the nice community and in case my other site goes down or something (I'm still new to the web building process so who knows what'll happen with that!).
shinka at 10:07PM, Jan. 27, 2014
(online)
Well, it's one of the biggest webcomic hosting site.
The quality of comics here are amazing and you get good viewings too.
Since it's free, our only reward is our readers. Without them…we're doing it for nothing.
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Akacya_The_Bounty_Hunter/

SCI-FI/ACTION Webcomic. Rated 16 (violence font-size: x-small;">Main website :http://akacya-thebountyhunter.weebly.com/
irrevenant at 11:36PM, Jan. 27, 2014
(online)
Maybe not the most pragmatic way to choose a webcomics host, but I chose to host my comic here because I love the community. The place just has a great feel to it.
It also seems to host more of the comics I actually like to *read* than any other. So hopefully it's a good fit. :)
WhitewolfStormrunner at 4:32PM, Jan. 14, 2015
(offline)
I joined because I just liked the looks of the site, and it looks like it's pretty easy to set up and post your comic(s) and their pages.
Also, the others that I've found (ComicGenesis, in particular) seem a bit more…unweildy…to use.
And speaking of ComicGenesis, it seems to have a rather…complicated way to join the site, as you can't jointhe site. You haveto have a sample comic page before you can, and that's just a bit toocomplicated/convoluted for me.
At least right now, as I don't really have any comic pages done that are worth showing to anyone else at the moment.
Also, I like the people here. You're all cool! IMHO.
bt01 at 7:34AM, Feb. 5, 2015
(online)
I actually already have a WordPress website for my comic already, but I wanted a webcomic site where I could maybe get a little more feedback from other cartoonists. So I mirror the comic here.

I did try a few other sites including Keenspace (which I guess now is Comic Genesis). Keenspace in particular seemed to be specifically designed to make joining as awkward or just outright infuriating as possible. So I dumped that right away.

I read an article about some cartoonist or other getting their start on this site, so that's how I found out about it. I'm just starting out here, but so far I'm enjoying my time on Drunk Duck.
last edited on Feb. 5, 2015 7:35AM
ashtree house at 8:53PM, Feb. 8, 2015
(offline)
I used to use the Duck waaaay back when it used to be called DrunkDuck, it was one of the big comic webhosting sites out there at the time and I was rather fond of it. It was my first choice when I decided to make a new webcomic.
I also like the variety of comics on the Duck, I find some sites have sort of one popular type; comic strips, manga, boy/girl love etc.. I don't feel like that on The Duck, I think there is a good mix of webcomics!
Dark Fenrir X at 12:16PM, May 8, 2015
(online)
A buddy of mine recommended this place to me and I knew jack squat about HTML. So far, I've just been building my chapters between classes and what limited cash I've got.
justinlapoint at 1:47PM, June 23, 2015
(offline)
We picked the Duck because the only two sites that seemed available were this and Keen Space and it was so much easier to load a comic on the duck.
John
totallyraddad at 7:21PM, April 4, 2016
(online)
well, it all started when i was vastly approaching the age of thirty. i looked in the mirror and quickly realized that my days of youth were coming to a close. i teared up a bit before i decided that it was either do or die at this point. i either follow my dreams of being a successful comic book artist, or continue working a 9-5 job while wallowing in self pity over what i have not done. i then combed my hair and brushed my teeth, put on a clean pressed shirt, and a dirty pair of slacks i only wore for two hours yesterday. i tied my shoes, drank my coffee, ate breakfast, and kissed my grandma goodbye.

i rode the bus to the nearest starbucks, ordered an iced coffee, took the seat by the window, and opened my laptop. i first went on facebook out of habit, i had a notification that it was somebody's birthday that i didn't care about. i then opened up ms paint and got to work. i spent an approximate of three hours on the first panel, got another coffee, and got back to work.

three days later, i made my first comic joes bad day.

and thats how i ended up on drunkduck
rawdale at 12:02PM, April 6, 2016
(online)
They drew the short straw. And the free uniforms are nice.
awsome owl 98 at 9:25AM, Jan. 2, 2017
(offline)
The reason I chose Drunk Duck was because I read about it in a book about making webcomics. At the time I was reading this book I didn't even know what a webcomic was so Drunk Duck was kind of my main introduction to them aside from ones I had read before but hadn't actually known were webcomics. If I were going to start another webcomic I would indeed host it here and in fact that is something I am planning on doing soon.
mks_monsters at 6:52PM, June 9, 2017
(offline)
It looked the most friendly and honest. I liked how it was more about the comics rather than gimmicks. I feel that around here, I'll not only get a chance to get out there in the comic world, but also to be constantly inspired.
thunderdavid at 8:26AM, June 13, 2017
(online)
For me, it“s the community. And user friendly. I”ve been visiting the site for awhile, back when it was Drunk. So Ive always been a fan of the place

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon