the unnamed comic

Races
wtl at 2:04PM, Jan. 26, 2010
(offline)
Ok, so I thought a new thread to contain racial ideas might be in order. Otherwise the other thread may begin to get unweildy and crowded and ideas might get lost. So I guess this is the thread to describe some of the different races. Also, I generally lack artistic ability and the mental fortitude to follow things like this through to the end, so (relatively) short descriptions like this are probably a good way for me to get started.

Luxxites
Physical Appearance: These guys are basically free floating neurons. They are magnetricity personified, literally. In their natural form, they are seen only as flashes and pops in the air as their “current” arcs across points of moisture in the air. However, as they are magnetic particles, they possess the ability to form metal into shapes that may appear to look just like a hunk of rock or ore, or as advanced as a humanoid with moving limbs. Auditory communication between Luxxites and other humanoids is difficult, but possible. A Luxxite is able to pull air through a cavity in it's structure and form the requisite shapes to create human sounds, but the “voice” of the Luxxite is in utter monotone and is accompanied by a series of snaps and pops which make it hard to understand. Communication may sometimes be achieved with other humans through a direct neural transfer, which is how Luxxites communicate with each other. An ozone smell generally accompanies the Luxxites.
Racial Outlook: The Luxxites feel that they have transcended material form. They are now a race of philosophers. They felt no condescension towards the races that had not advanced as far, but the technologist factions (red army) have become mortal enemies. Generally a peaceful people that eschew violence whenever possible, they have a variety of ways of defending themselves and can be fantastically violent if needed.
Homeland geography: Barren. Their homeland is generally cold, seeing snows in the winters. The landscape itself is quite inhospitable, and in fact the only other species that can survive are insects. The ground itself is composed almost entirely of ferrous shale and harbors no plant life except lichens and algaes in the slightly warmer summer months. The ferrous ground however, gives ample opportunity for the race to form (relatively weak) “bodies” should the need arise, as the rock is shot through with plentiful iron veins.
Lagniappe: The great threat to the Luxxites is the Red Army. (Let me know if I'm overstepping my bounds here in the larger scope of the cannon) The Red Army, with the help of outcast Luxxites (possibly “devolutionists” that wish for physical form), has figured out a way to capture and harness the Luxxites themselves as a power source. The short version is that all of the “electricity” coursing through the Red Army tech, from household lighting systems to flying machines to kids' toys, are powered by prisoner Luxxites in a perpetual and torturous electronic dungeon. I'm not sure if the general populace of the red faction is aware that they are complicit in this, basically, wholesale enslavement of the Luxxites. In any case, there are now fewer free Luxxites than there are prisoners, and times have become desperate for them after centuries of being hunted by the reds.
Where They're Going: What I imagine is that a powerful Luxxite meets somehow a Red “evolutionist” or sympathiser of some sort. They become allies of some sort, and eventually happen upon a meteor that's fallen from space. The metal in the meteor is unlike anything else on the planet, easily manipulated by the Luxxite. The Luxxite at some point basically becomes armor for the red sympathiser, and they run off to make trouble somehow. The metal can actually be exquisitley formed into horrible masks before fights, etc. and is incredibly dense, making the pair nearly invulnerable.

Thoughts? Got another one coming….
I apologize for my avatar.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:15AM
wtl at 2:54PM, Jan. 26, 2010
(offline)
The Edo'Ossis
Physical Appearance:Humanoid, with skin as black as pitch, everywhere. Think “rotten” as opposed to “dark complexion.” There are no pink gums or tongue, but a black and rotten looking mess. The whites of their eyes are a murky gray. They are generally lacking finger and toe nails, and are usually lacking a couple of digits as well. Very often facial appendages would be missing as well, like noses, lips, and eyeballs. Rotten teeth fill their mouths and when they speak it sounds raspy, forced, and just generally sickly. Wounds, even small ones, do not heal easily, and an Edo'Ossite may carry seeping wounds for years before the flesh finally closes. Deathly skinny. They are a primitive people and generally wear only loincloths, but are adorned with white paint made from a paste made from bones, and simple bone and leather jewelry as well. Weapons and homes are generally primitive (wooden spears hardened in the fire, grass huts, etc. The usual fare.)They speak an ancient version of whatever the language is of the larger humanoid population. (I'm not sure if the grays and reds speak different languages.)
Racial Outlook: The Edo'Ossis are highly religious cannibals. They spend their whole lives hunting for humans that might make their way into their inhospitable homeland. When they have a successful capture and kill, the meat is stripped from the bones and most of it burned as a sacrifice to their god, Exspes. A quick bit on Exspes: Exspes is a large corpse, fat, bloated, and cracked skin. He floats face down in a stagnant pool that is small enough to throw a stone across. The Edo'Ossis believe that they have committed a great sin in the past (and they have), and that they must be punished for eternity. While they are guilty of that great sin long ago, Exspes simply requires their tributes, and does not care what their transgression was, and in fact, has forgotten. He does lift his head to speak out loud occaisonally, but more commonly communicates by churning the water of his pool, having the water boil, etc. Anyway, the greater portion of the meat is burned before this pool, and the offal simply dumped into the pool with Exspes. The bones are where the Edo'Ossis get what little nutrition they do get. The marrow is removed and eaten raw. The bones themselves are ground to poweder to make their decorative paint and to make a sort of bone-meal or flour that they then bake as a sort of bone cake. Lacking any sort of real nutrition gives them their deathly and rotten features. Exspes is their real source of energy. He provides them with bursts when needed to subdue prey or to defend themselves. In lieu of humans, the Edo'Ossis will trap animals that they sometimes find (gators, deer) and follow the same sort of procedure.
Homeland Geography: Horrible, murky fens. The fens are a nearly stagnant swampland, with a fair spattering of trees that provide a fairly thick canopy. Algaes, moss, etc. is the most abundant plant life. Insects abound as well. Typical swamp creatures like frogs, snakes, etc. feed off the insects. It is generally very hot and humid. The swamp vents methane gas as well, so if the stagnant water and general decaying smell weren't bad enough, the methane makes the place nearly intolerable to normal people.
Lagniappe: The Edo'Ossis are a singular minded and self loathing people. They are fearless when called upon to fight, and feel not even the smallest shred of compassion. Women and children are never spared if they happen to cross paths. Their faces are generally expressionless and violent acts are to them as mundane as sewing to normal people. The fact that they may be given the strength of a god for a time is no comfort to anyone. They are greatly feared and stories are told about them to scare children into good behavior, although no one knows exactly where they live.
Where They're Going: To be honest, I don't exactly know. It could be that Exspes, fearing the eventual and inevitable extinction of his tributaries, commands them to go out into the world to collect sacrifices/food. Whereas they had always been a solitary race, their recent forays out into the world are a cause for concern. They may not be the most terrible thing to happen to …the Gray Army? Red Army?…in terms of actual casualties, but their prescence is absolutely horrifying to the general public. And as the forays grow more frequent, some sort of action must be taken. Perhaps an offensive action into the fens must be performed, which draws needed resources away from someone's army.

Just ideas.
kalliikak at 8:01PM, Jan. 26, 2010
(online)
this is great!

luxxites are a really intriguing idea. J is working on the principles behind the red army, but i think they can easily be fit in, and if not, well… it's a big world. there is no canon yet, heh, this forum is all about getting a main canon ready to go.

i'm working on maps at the moment, so it's great to have some peoples around which to build the maps.

some questions on the luxxites. i'm guessing that capturing them inside some kind of non-conductive material. perhaps use of nonmagnetic metals are also a big part of controlling them? you describe them as free floating neurons, what i'm wondering is if a large electrical charge could be used to short them out? i guess i'm curious as to whether they have truly transcended material form, or if that is just how they see it. boils down to, can their free floating form be killed? or do you see them as closer to immortal? a final question of their home. i'm thinking tundra type geography? i was wondering if maybe their is an earth type geography that matches your idea on the luxxite home? also, do they stay here because of the ferrous landscape? or is the cold itself a factor?

a lot of my inquiries are gonna be solely technical stuff, not that it ever need be explained in a narrative, but more so i can place limits on power (like, why a certain brand of magic can burn a village down, but can't be used to mend a papercut), and work out how it will react to a particular form of technology or magic.

the Edo'ossis, i have to say, i really like this one. i'm gonna do some research on what type of topography leads to the stagnant bog like swamp, but if i have some lead way, i think there are a couple of places on my northern map that might accommodate them. they'll work well to contrast the grey army i think. there are plenty of ways that exspes could potentially be tied in with elish-ahn even. perhaps in their search for the ancient cities the grey army have erected dams along the rivers and lakes that feed the murky fens. or maybe they just redirected water for a more mundane purpose, hehe. it could even be a whole different faction that is pressed by the edo'ossis, which indirectly affects the grey army (for good or bad)

what do you imagine the edo'ossis populations to look like? and given that exspes communicates his will rather directly, do you see them as a hive mind? or are there high shaman or priestess that attend his pool perhaps? they seem the type that might have a social hierarchy akin to a pack of wolfs or hyenas perhaps. an edo'ossis hunting party might consist of 20 or 30? (those sent to collect food at exspes' command?)

good ideas. this is gonna get big fast. hehe.
PumpkinKing at 8:58PM, Jan. 27, 2010
(online)
Lol the Red army would totally be the type of pricks to hate the luxxites. Yes. I'm designing an entire army of pricks who would certainly enslave a sentient source of energy for their own selfish needs. As far as their religous outlook I imagine them to be what the other cultures would call “lost” Mostly because they have no resident God/Goddess. What with the Grey's having elish-ahn and the Edo'Ossis having Exspes, The Red faction will have nothing. Atleast to their knowledge. This would lead them towards a more scientific outlook. Instead of marveling at said gods they'll be looking for a way to explain their existance in the first place. All in all The races who have faith in these clearly present gods will generally find the red faction disrespectful to the natural order of everything. Any way gtg. Sorry for the short post.

P.s. Just got a printer/scanner/fax so ill be able to upload some designs super soon.
grizzlebees.
wtl at 12:18PM, Jan. 28, 2010
(offline)
some questions on the luxxites. i'm guessing that capturing them inside some kind of non-conductive material. perhaps use of nonmagnetic metals are also a big part of controlling them? you describe them as free floating neurons, what i'm wondering is if a large electrical charge could be used to short them out? i guess i'm curious as to whether they have truly transcended material form, or if that is just how they see it. boils down to, can their free floating form be killed? or do you see them as closer to immortal? a final question of their home. i'm thinking tundra type geography? i was wondering if maybe their is an earth type geography that matches your idea on the luxxite home? also, do they stay here because of the ferrous landscape? or is the cold itself a factor?

Not all of this is figured out yet, obviously, and if anyone has ideas about this stuff, I'd love to hear it. As for the capturing of the Luxxites, I have, however, given that a little bit of thought. What I imagine is that there's a certain mineral mined at great expense, that is then ground to a fine powder and aerosolized, and shot out into the air where a Luxxite is hanging out. The space occupied by both the Luxx and the powder/gas traps the Luxx and makes movement near impossible. That particular space would glow brightly. Think neon signs, where an electric current travels through the neon gas and gives off an intense light. They would then simply be corralled into a non conductive container of some sort. Of course, if the Luxxites are in the crust of the earth themselves, or have formed a “body” from the metal/minerals nearby, then the gas wouldn't penetrate and they would be protected. So there must be a way to extract them from those materials in order to be captured. I haven't really come up with a solution to that part that I like yet. Maybe the Luxxites are forced from the ground by some sort of natural event that can be replicated. Perhaps something with the planet's poles shifting, that can be replicated or recreated on a small scale (or hell, even on a large scale) artificially. I don't know about that.

It is their view that they have transcended physical form, and it was my idea that they began their genetic lives way back when as something more organic and did indeed evolve into just their brain waves basically. Although, another idea is that they, as a group of people undertook some sort conscious change and left their physical form behind on purpose in order to free themselves from the hormones, maintenance, and other diversions/needs that physical bodies create. The nice part about this idea is that we don't have to figure what/how they consume “food” and how they procreate. Although those might be fun problems. This line of thought would also make them a finite resource. Which makes me lean towards making them immortal if left alone, but able to be killed through violence or a type of “suicide”. A violent death would be very hard to achieve and would result in a massive expulsion of force, something that would level a city block for instance. A “suicide” would leave a specific place charged with the energy left over but with no conscious thought.

For their home, I was thinking tundra without the grasses. Just jagged rock with some shallow soil. The cold and general lack of resources were only meant to make the land inhospitable to human poaching missions. I want the expeditions that go out and capture these things to be big operations and very expensive. As I imagined it, it would be a big part of the economy.
wtl at 12:45PM, Jan. 28, 2010
(offline)
the Edo'ossis, i have to say, i really like this one. i'm gonna do some research on what type of topography leads to the stagnant bog like swamp, but if i have some lead way, i think there are a couple of places on my northern map that might accommodate them. they'll work well to contrast the grey army i think. there are plenty of ways that exspes could potentially be tied in with elish-ahn even. perhaps in their search for the ancient cities the grey army have erected dams along the rivers and lakes that feed the murky fens. or maybe they just redirected water for a more mundane purpose, hehe. it could even be a whole different faction that is pressed by the edo'ossis, which indirectly affects the grey army (for good or bad)

what do you imagine the edo'ossis populations to look like? and given that exspes communicates his will rather directly, do you see them as a hive mind? or are there high shaman or priestess that attend his pool perhaps? they seem the type that might have a social hierarchy akin to a pack of wolfs or hyenas perhaps. an edo'ossis hunting party might consist of 20 or 30? (those sent to collect food at exspes' command?)

Yeah, I like these guys too. I hope I explained them well enough to go along with the picture in my head. They've been evolving in my head for a while. There is definitely a shaman type of guy, or even caste. They are above average intelligence (for the Edo'Ossis anyway) and partake in some level of politcal bickering. The greater part of the population is pretty dumb really and relies mostly on instinct and order from up top. If a particular Edo'Ossi acts particularly smart or clever, then it's probably Exspes acting through him or her. These guys are typically very fierce fighters but don't show a lot of ingenuity, just brute strength. So in short, yeah, think pack of wolves more than hive mind where 90% of the population are grunts. And yeah, 20 to 30 for a hunting party sounds about right. Overall, the population numbers are much less substantial than they used to be. They used to number in the tens of thousands when including all of the outliers, but now barely muster a thousand. Again, just an idea, but I imagined that they enjoyed prosperous times, maybe before an alternate trade route through a more geographically hazardous area was finished construction, and expanded their territory accordingly. When they all of a sudden had less human traffic, their sprawl concentrated around Exspes as they began to die out, and can now barely mainain their current population as they need to venture further and further out to obtain bodies.

As an aside, all of the proper names I'm throwing out there are pure Latin, so if anyone has any ideas to spice up the names, I'm all ears. That being said, I do kind of like Edo'Ossis (bone-eaters) and Exspes (hopeless), but I don't really care for Luxxites (light, daylight-I was thinking “light” in terms of them being a philosopher race and seeking further “enlightnement”). And in the future I'm sure I'll have more along those lines that could use sprucing up.
PumpkinKing at 8:01PM, Jan. 28, 2010
(online)
Sooo I've started my panels. Before continuing I'd like to know if I could use the edo'ossis in this particular part of my story. I don't know if I'll actually be showing them or just talking about a recent scuffle with them. But If thats cool I have a really good setup for my main character so just lemme know. Either here or at work which ever comes first.
grizzlebees.
wtl at 11:43AM, Feb. 3, 2010
(offline)
In case I didn't tell you at work, it's fine. Go ahead and use them.
kalliikak at 11:47PM, Feb. 3, 2010
(online)
i thought for sure i'd replied to this. any rate, thanks of the clarification. when you described the luxxites as free floating neurons i wasn't sure if you wanted them to exist more as a net of physical relays, like a brain unfolded into tiny floating strings, or more of a true non-physical (almost spiritual) existence. as far as their home, i'm thinking they'll be somewhere to the far south of the currently mapped continents. we'll work that out as needed.

far as the edo'ossis, that's great, you described them nicely the first time, cause i got the feel for them and you pretty much confirmed that i was thinking in the right direction. i was playing with the idea of linking exspes to elish-ahn as something of a traitor character from her origin myth (i'm looking to add a traitor character to that story reguardless, hehe) that would change the timeline on just how long ago the edo'ossi may have existed as a strong culture and population, so i'll leave that up to you. i'll try to get the origin myth up pretty soon, i've been working on the wording in some places, then you can make a more informed decision. edit: scraping this idea but leaving it for the sake of documentation.

for the names, i think “luxxites” is fine, on that note, i suspect that most things have many names, depending on where you are and what population is talking. so if you do happen upon another name, we can easily just tack it on instead of outright replacing it. the red army, for example, seems to be the type that would label things with rather literal, scientific precision. another culture might name them based on their metal bodies, or the simple sparks of light they see when a luxxite is present.
wtl at 7:16AM, Feb. 4, 2010
(offline)
A quick word on the Edo'Ossis origin stuff. Before they were the violent zombie race they are now, the Edo'O were a normal human race in the days when the gods more regularly interacted with the people. They followed Exspes back then, who was of course not named Exspes at the time. There wasn't anything necessarily remarkable about their people, but pre-Exspes was something of a charlatan. Pre-Exspes pretended to be all about loving his people, etc., while plotting against some of the other gods. He led a rebellion, and had his human followers unwittingly participate. He of course lost, and was stripped of almost all of his former power, and his people were punished similarly. That's the basic outline I had for them, and it looks like it will fit well with what you had planned. Go team!
kalliikak at 2:35PM, Feb. 10, 2010
(online)
Tathe

The people that had followed Makesh before the dawn scattered like chafe in the wind. They were known as the Tathe. And they did not forget. They went to the old cities, and dug into the ground to escape the dawn. They became the people without dawn in a very literal sense, exploring the vast cave beneath the earth, building their temples in the darkness. They hid from the dawn, but they did not forget. The Tathe subjugated the dark places of the world, and those that would not bow before them were driven to the surface. Often the whispering winds that pour from the mouths of caves are attributed to the endless weeping of Tathe slaves.

Many of the Tathe were first sons or first daughters of Makesh, or they were children of first sons and first daughters, and so they possessed a portion of the world's blood. And they cultivated it, specifically breeding the blood so that time would not diminish their power over the earth. As such, the Tathe’s mastery of blood magics seemed to grow in proportion to the dying magic of the surface world. Some of the Tathe were servants of Makesh still, and would bring sacrifices to him, pouring the blood down any hole or pit, even into the mouths of volcanoes, in hopes that it would reach the body of Makesh and feed his power, that they might receive blessings from their father. More often though, the Tathe have come to worship the deep earth itself, pouring blood into the world, that they should control the blood of the world with greater ease and to more vial ends.

The Tathe became creatures of the world beneath the world, relying on the blood magics and old technologies to survive the dark. The Tathe bathed in the darkness, exploring the broken underworld, and connecting the various cave systems with winding tunnels. Often, the Tathe live alone, or in small groups, their towers built upside-down, delving into the depths of the earth. The Tathe are few in number, due to the specific engineering of offspring meant to preserve the blood of the world that courses through their veins. Their lives are long, some are suspected to be near 2000 years in age (Tathe believe that over time, the impure body begins to die, leaving the half born of Makesh and the blood of the world). Though the Tathe are small in number, the vast reach of their blood magic puts many of the underworld races under their tyranny.

The Tathe are very rarely seen or recognized by surface dwellers, more often it is the servants of the Tathe who come to the surface. The Tathe live in the minds of the surface world as mere myth, though haunting all the same. There are stories told about the horrors of the Tathe, though most are used simply to scare children into obeying their parents. Physically though, the Tathe are tall in stature, typically close to eight feet in height. As a race, they are idealistic, almost always skinny, or slightly muscular, their skin light to golden in color, very rarely is it devoid of pigment, even though they spend their lives below the surface. Most sport a variety of runic tattoos. Younger Tathe appear as older men or women, though their skin does not wrinkle as furiously. Older Tathe generally have ashen or coal skin, and where in great use, the skin seems to fleck away revealing glowing orange, as if their bodies were composed of fire. They sport masks and horns, and where elaborate cloaks, all that you might expect of a race of wizards.

Tathe purpose varies greatly from one to another. Some seek to resurrect Makesh, bringing together the scattered pieces of his body, others seek only power, immortality or demonic knowledge. Some seek the pieces of Makesh to accelerate their own power (there are rumors of a Tathe who possesses the left eye of Makesh, and with it, can see the future). Some of the Tathe wage war against the Chieftains of Makesh. It is even suspected that there are Tathe who walk the surface world as kings or demons. One thing that binds the Tathe is a hatred of the dawn, the traitorous mother, Elish-Ahn. Whatever other goals they might have, the Tathe all seek to destroy the dawn.
((a note on the Chieftains of Makesh: the chiefs live on the surface still, in guarded palaces hidden away about the map. They have a tenuous relationship with the Tathe. The Chieftains claim that they do the will of Makesh, for they possess his knowledge, and that the Tathe should bow to them in absence of Makesh. The Tathe claim to be direct descendants of Makesh, through the first sons and first daughters, and that the Chiefs are therefore, servants of the Tathe. This argument typically ends in a draw as each can benefit from the other when faced with the grey army and the traitorous mother, Elish-Ahn.))

The Tathe society is a twist of religious fervor and scholarly devotion, blurring the line between faith and science, the Tathe act very much as a society of sorcerers. They place great emphasis on legends and myths, having constructed great underground temples through which they perform their rituals (typically the temple center has a well, or some circular pit that accepts their sacrifices). They live in upside-down towers, who’s pinnacles reach deep into the earth. Vast libraries are scattered about the underworld. Old technologies work along side the blood magics. And when the old cities of the surface world are invaded by outsiders, it is often the Tathe, the minions of the Tathe, or the dreadful beasts summoned (or constructed) by the Tathe that rise to defend them.
wtl at 12:26PM, Feb. 11, 2010
(offline)
Nice. Those guys sound awesome. I'm trying to work out a few races that are less violent. Hopefully I can get to them next week. We'll see.

Question though, what exactly is blood magic? What are the other schools of magic? How do they differ? Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but it may pertain to future races as well…
kalliikak at 1:20AM, Feb. 13, 2010
(online)
the tathe are rather a race born of the elish-ahn myth (evil only in that most folk consider elish-ahn to be ‘good’ ) and so there version of magic all stems from Makesh and Elish-Ahn. i'm hesitant to call it a school of magic, i want to leave the world open to multiple types of magic/technology… i think of blood magic as more a philosophy of magic. outsiders may call it something else. the red army for instance would simply classify it with scientific theory, generally attempting to explain blood magic with science. other races, might consider all blood magics to be evil in nature depending on their own views of “blood as life” and whatnot. the grey army, for instance, considers all magic to be born of Makesh, because he made the first man with the blood of the world, and then spread this power through the first sons and first daughters. so for instance, if the grey army runs across the edo'ossis, the grey army will believe any magic the edo'ossis possess to be passed down from makesh, whether this is true or not.

i talked to adam a little bit about setting basic rules for magics and technology in this world. (my concern was more that we'd start creating our individual magics and technology and then have no way to keep them balanced as far as power levels and such, should two types of magic interact) we might well want to create a thread to discuss what we want to be able to do with the magics and technologies in this world. (like.. is healing magic in or out, is resurrection magic in or out… how big a fireball is possible and what if any ramifications must it have on the user… can anyone do it, or just certain people/races) personally, i'd prefer if magic was a tool, used much like you would use a piece of tech, it will not make you invincible, but it will provide you with certain benefits and certain disadvantages.

my current definition of blood magic

Blood Magics(from the blood of the world in Elish-Ahn/Makesh mythology, spread through ancestry to the first sons and first daughters of Makesh. An ability to control portions of the world by being directly tied to the blood (elemental makeup) of the world. Sometimes explained as a genetic attunement to the molecular structuring of the earth, or the magnetic fields and ley lines that run around the earth. Often uses runes that draw on subtle variations in attraction and opposition of the aforementioned along predetermined, and natural, patterns.)
drgodzey at 9:53PM, March 10, 2010
(offline)
Ok, so I have been assigned a task. I am doing to flesh out (quite ironic expression considering the race I am about to explain) one of the desert races that Baron and I have been talking about. I also want to make it perfectly clear that I have not started playing FF13 yet as per my agreement with said Baron. This desert race are a salt people. Their body chemistry is primarily salt. This makes them excellent in the heat and arid environment of the desert as well as empowering them with a fearsome array of weapons. A salt breath weapon can shrivel a water based creature in no time and their touch is burning to most creatures. They are relatively unknown, except for legends and a few lucky raiders that might have glimpsed them. I will elaborate tomorrow, I go to play FF 13. Baron you are a cruel master! :)
We Out Chea!
kalliikak at 1:33AM, March 12, 2010
(online)
Casel-clem

Appearance: Dark, sandy skin complexion. Black, brown hair color, and typically grey, blue, green, brown or black eye color. Sharp eyes and wide noses. Average height in the five to six feet range.
Location: Casel-clem are people of the wilds, living primarialy along the eastern greens of the southern continent (the area surrounding both sides of the Soun river, north of its major split.) In the winters smaller tribes might be found as far south as the great lakes or as far north as the plains just past the land bridge between continents. They are nomadic, with no major cities or towns. The Casel-clem are reclusive, skirting only the outer reaches of civilized lands and peoples, usually for the purpose of trade. They do settle in larger groups during the spring and summer months in camps of birch-bark or brush houses, using the time to plant crops and cultivate small herds. The bounty is split evenly among the tribes as the first signs of autumn roll in, and then the various tribes move to smaller hunting grounds during the winter, all but disappearing into the wilds during this time.
History: not quite done with this bit, will add it when i finish.
Belief systems: The Casel-clem pray to the four winds, moving like the wind and guided by it. Believe the wind is represented by four animal gods, each possessing a trait the Casel-clem respect. The four animals are the hawk (cunning), the horse (speed), the coyote (community), and the lynx (stealth). They also hold scared places where water runs over rock and places where the winds voice can be heard.
Taboos: Dark feathered birds (such as vultures and ravens) are shunned in Casel-clem culture. Often these birds are killed if seen in the wild, as they are considered unclean, and can be a sign of impending troubles or as the eyes of evil spirits. Images of these dark feathered birds are met with general disgust or fear.
Also, killing one of the four animals of the wind (hawk, horse, coyote, lynx) is forbidden and can be met with exclusion from a tribe. To kill a beast of the wind is thought to dishonor a tribe and bring the anger and wrath of the wind.
Magic/Tech: Casel-clem possess older magics that come through the mystics and windtalkers. Most of these magics are not destructive in nature, but far more subtle, such as calling forth animal guides to navigate the land, or animal protectors to fight along side them in combat. They use a great deal of herbal medicines, though sometimes the mystic or windspeaker may call on the four winds to provide healing (it is said that should the wind heal a man, his life belongs to the wind, and a task will be appointed him). Most of the Casel-clem are hunters or fighters, often trained to use swords and axes. Trade with outsiders has profited them some basic technologies such as guns, lighting lamps, cooking utensils and modern clothing.
Government: Small tribes are ruled almost exclusively by the tribe leader (who is often the tribe’s war chief). The war chief owns his tribe and his word is law. Though there are general ideas that tie the many tribes of the Casel-clem together (religious/cultural background, language and racial makeup), each tribe is ruled separately. Should one tribe offend another tribe in any way, the offender is bound by the rules of the offended tribe and so penance is typically decided by the war chief of the offended tribe.
Beyond this, each tribe usually has a mystic and a windspeaker. The mystic acts as a tribal sorcerer, performing rights of age and burials. He channels the power of the wind, performing minor magics with ease. The windspeaker interprets the changing wind and the will of the wind, acting as a spiritual guide for the tribe. The windspeaker typically determines where a tribe will move to during the winter months, as well as what a tribe should do in times of crises or war. He may sometimes call upon the wind for aid, and generally has some connection to the tribes wind animal. The tribe mystic and windspeaker are instruments of the war chief, and they help keep the cohesion and peace among the tribe.
The tribe respects the decisions of the war chief as long as they are part of the tribe. To dishonor the tribe or oneself could mean expulsion from the tribe, and alienation from the whole of the Casel-clem.
It’s also of note that some Casel-clem may roam the territories without affiliation to any tribe, though to this end they need be careful of which lands they hunt on, as it could produce conflict with nearby tribes.
Laws: A chief owns the men of his tribe. A man owns his wife and children. The Casel Clem own the land while they walk upon it and have right to the bounty it produces. Should one chief defeat another in honorable combat, he would gain control of the former chieftain’s tribe.
The war chief is the law of his tribe. The man is the law of his family. For this reason, Casel-clem law varies from tribe to tribe. However, should one tribe wrong another, the wronged tribe will determine the penalty, and should there be a greater dispute, war chiefs from various tribes may be called to pass judgment. If a single member from one tribe wrongs another tribe, he is at the mercy of the wronged tribe. This idea is generally accepted by all tribes, and so transfers to disputes between two members of the same tribe, with the criminal being at the mercy of the wronged under watch of the whole tribe, and the Casel-clem as a whole.
Marriage customs: Men may have multiple wives, either women courted from other tribes, or those won through conflict with other men, tribes or outsiders.
Burial customs: It is believed that the spirit goes with the wind upon death, so bodies are buried in unmarked graves, preferably near a place where water runs over stone. Because of the nomadic nature of the Casel-clem, specific burial places are not used. Simple prays of passing are spoken my the tribe mystic. Should a man leave behind wives and children, his ownership is passed to the war chief, who may take them as his own, or give them to other members of the tribe to assure they are properly cared for.
Relations: The Casel-clem were once scattered tribes warring amongst themselves, but as foreign peoples began to move into their territories, an unspoken truce was met by many of the tribes. Casel-clem tend to trade with one another rather then outsiders, and are generally allied against outside intrusions and claim to lands.
The Casel-clem are known to outsiders as excellent hunter/trackers. Often because of their pack like movements, claims to land, and brutish demeanor toward outsiders, they are thought of as thugs.
The mages of Telanim, worshipers of a crow god (an enemy animal god of the Casel-clem winds) built up a city on the coasts of Casel-clem lands, and sought to extend their influence over the territory. Smaller villages sprung up in the surrounding areas. This has led to tension and skirmishes between the two factions.
Recently the Casel-clem have come in contact with members of the grey army as the people of the dawn move down the eastern coast of the continent. Some Casel-clem have negotiated trade bargains in return for services as trackers and guides for the grey army as they pass through Casel-clem land. This is an uneasy relationship as the grey army believes the Casel-clem worship the beast of the air (who was outsmarted by Elish-Ahn). No conflicts have arisen, though some of the tribes claim the grey army is an intrusion upon their territories and should be allowed passage without respect to the four winds. Still, the ability to trade with outsiders when faced with the much greater threat of Telanim is welcomed by many Casel-clem.
drgodzey at 6:23PM, March 15, 2010
(offline)
The Pithe

Appearance: Humanoid, covered with a thin layer of crystallized salt and minerals. In the desert sun their bodies shine with the reflected sun. The layer of minerals is sometimes smooth, other times rough. it depends on the individual's taste.

History/Biology: The Pithe are one of the native races to the world. Their race was originally normal, but thousands of generations ago the Pithe started introducing rocks and sands of the desert into their diet to get needed nutrients and minerals. Over time, one of the ways their bodies changed was by excreting out the excess minerals. Now their biology has evolved to such a point where they diet only on the most basic of elements, and can draw all needed nourishment from natural rock. Their unique diet eventually kills them, very similar to the way the wood is petrified over time, slowly the individual will get slower and slower as his/her bodies organic tissues become mineralized. Then one day the salty layer will fall away and a perfect replica of the Pithe will remain, the body completely transformed into stone,forever frozen in the last pose the Pithe was partaking.

Culture: The Pithe are not capable of reproduction. Their race “converts” others to the lifestyle, either though the promise of extended life or blatant kidnapping, etc. In order to keep their race strong, men and women are required to bring back (through whatever means) one outsider before they are officially excepted into the Pithe community. This strange custom has given rise to many unique talents. Pithe are known for their stealth, and roguish abilities. Many use the salt/mineral layer (know as the “Veil”) to their advantage, shifting facial features, and camouflaging themselves in order to sneak into border cities. The process of converting an outsider to Pithe is a secretly hidden ritual..aka..I have not created it yet! The most coveted of all converted is a female in early term pregnancy. This has happened only a handful of times throughout the Pithe history, and every time the resulting child, changed in to womb, has dramatically altered the Pithe lifestyle. These children has a tremendous amount of control over their abilities and body chemistry, doing feats far beyond many Pithe.

Religion: All Pithe bodies are left exactly where they last moved. The belief is that a foreign diety will eventually come to their world and reanimate them, use their remarkable numbers (remember they have been existing for a VERY long time) to crush his nemesis who hunts him and then he would lead the Pithe into paradise.

Relations: Most other desert cultures fear the Pithe, because of their kidnapping. To many people it borderlines legend. for example: Ol' Tigo always talks about the time he saw an angel take the Robertson's boy to heaven. Or: I've seen the traveler before, but his eyes were blue and his skin darker. Hopefully you get the point.

Current Events: Salt VS. Worm! In one corner, representing the Pithe, you have Proxite the strongest Pithe to walk the desert in one hundred generations. Able to calcify flesh with his breath and desecrate acres of land with his mere footsteps. In the other corner, you have Kalim, a fanatic Mardukku (preist of Marduk), who only has to call out one name, Octolasium Lumbricus, and even kings quake in fear.

History: different Pithe have higher concentration of different minerals based upon where they dwell. In the past there was a race of Pithe who fed upon precious metals. They were hunted by foreign kingdoms, and melted alive so that fat monarchs could adorn their thrones and castles with gold and other valuable metals. ((or maybe rich folk that want to use the salts of the pithe to flavor their food)) edit: added you posts together. - ian
We Out Chea!
kalliikak at 12:40PM, March 19, 2010
(online)
the pithe sound good, i think they came together as a race very well. only concern i have is the kidnap/conversion bit, unless the pithe have found a way to accelerate the changes in body chemistry on normal human types (maybe something that tends to kill more people than it converts?). i guess what i'm saying is how do folk who have not had the benefit of thousands of years of adaptation survive the conversion to pithe? to that end, i rather like the idea of sort of a cult type worship or apprenticeship whereas you end up with normal folk wanting to become pithe. though perhaps there is a way around it, i feel like the kidnapping/forceful creation of pithe would make it hard to have a society of any kind without revolts and such… or just pithe who exile themselves and ignore the rights of replacement… things like that.
kalliikak at 10:55PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Xuur-dunda (koor-doon-dah)

meaning “life of the forest”, often referred to simply as “gazelle-kin” by outsiders

pictured here: Xuur-dunda

Appearance- Humanoid, average height of four to five feet. Prominent gazelle-like features: Four digits on their hands, hoofed feet, elongated necks, bushy tails, animal noses and ears, and horns protruding from the top of the forehead. Fur comes in a wide variety of colors and patterning. Females generally have only one set of small horns protruding from the forehead, while males can have two sets on the top of the head and another from the neck right behind their jaws. Their horns can grow in various ways depending on dietary and hygiene habits.
Location- They live in small clans (sometimes no more then two or three large) in the deeper forests west of Alamesh, rarely spotted in the open. Typically a clan will have a particular source of water, either a spring, river, or small grotto with a pool or lake, and use this general area, usually no more than twenty to thirty square miles, as their home territory when nursing young. Beyond this, gazelle-kin tend to roam far and wide over the course of their lifetime.
History- Unclear, even to the Gazelle-kin themselves, how long their race has lived in the forests west of Alamesh. A gazelle-kin can live out their whole life in a fifteen to twenty square mile area of forest. Histories are passed down through story and song, more as a tradition then a record of the past. The small clans have never been united under a single rule. Life is as simple as existing to the Gazelle-kin.
Beliefs- Worship the god of the forest, Gopahla. It is believed that Gopahla planted the forest, and also seeds which grew into the first Gazelle-kin. Often Gazelle-kin will set out seeds, berries, nuts, or even the meat of small animals upon flat stones as offerings to Gopahla. They believe that Gopahla lives in the deepest parts of the forest, where the trees grow tall, and blanket out the light. There is a song about a dark time in the past, when the forest was cover in shadow and fire. Gopahla pushed back the fire, and nurtured the forest back to health.
Taboos- It is forbidden to eat the fruit of the Werta-waa, as it is thought that these may be the seeds to new forest races, created by Gopahla.
Magic/Tech- Posses only the most primitive of magics, many of which are only superstitions and herb lore. They do seem to be able to commune with the forest in a way that isn’t clearly understood, speaking with trees and sources or water, though the gazelle-kin themselves have denied their power over the forest. Many think that it is simply heightened senses of smell and hearing, along with their curious movement and communication that gives the gazelle-kin an aura of natural understanding of the forest beyond human perception. Technology is basic, stone head spears, clay jars. While the Gazelle-kin rarely consume meat, they sometimes use the skin of animals for clothing, or the blood of animals for ritualistic or medicinal uses. Also, a few large predators of the forest have led the Gazelle-kin to produce defensive weapons and general hunting skills. The gazelle-kin can navigate the forest with ease. They can run very quickly and make leaps of twenty to thirty feet, though they have trouble climbing. The gazelle-kin are noted for their curiosity, collecting feathers, stones or other small babbles they can use to make jewelry.
Food/clothing/shelter- The gazelle-kin are mostly herbivores, eating nuts, berries and leaves collected from the forest. Live in small burrows, either dug out of the forest brush, or the base of large trees. Males will fight and butt heads over territory or mating rights. Females will stay with the clan most of their lives, while males will sometimes leave to form their own clans or roam the forests along. Gestation is nearly two years for gazelle-kin, so populations remain relatively low.
Language- Gazelle-kin speak a primitive language, though most of their communication comes through subtle gestures or facial movements, and short bursts of animal like calls. As a culture, they do not understand or speak any of the common tongues. However, Gazelle-kin possess the intellect and necessary vocal physiology to learn and speak many of the languages of outsiders and when taken out of the forest, have quickly assimilated into outside cultures.
Government- Small clans operate independently of each other. There is no central hub to which the gazelle-kin go and intermingle, and while the clans are all friendly toward each other, they generally stay to themselves.
Laws- Lack of meaningful possessions and seclusion of clans generally allow the gazelle-kin a peaceful existence. There are no systems of law among the clans.
Relations- Secluded to the forests, and with languages and customs that are not fully understood my human races, the gazelle-kin remain isolated from the rest of the world to a great extent. It is very rare that a Gazelle-kin will leave the forest even though they are quite adept and even eager to learn of outside races. They quickly integrate language, customs and technology of outsiders into their own use, seeing it with fascination rather then some taboo against the ways of the forest. In more recent times, gazelle-kin have been abducted by trappers, to be sold as exotic curiosities in cities far and wide.

“The Xuur-dunda have an almost unearthly quality about them, as if their movements mimic those of leaves blowing in the wind, as if their minds and souls are in tune with some secret part of nature that is easily observed yet defined with great difficulty. You can take the gazelle-kin out of the forest, but you can’t take the forest out of the gazelle-kin. As trite as this may sound, it holds true. Even gazelle-kin born outside of the forests, to the civilized world, possess a mien about them that one might just as easily use to describe the forest. Their awareness of the natural, their movements, their speech, defines them clearly as people of the forests, though they would themselves deny such claims. What we as humans see in them, it seems they do not see in themselves.”
-Integration of Xuur-dunda into Common Culture by Aerias Tenal

“Gazelle-kin are the most adventitious gardeners I’ve ever encountered. They nurture the earth with care that can hardly be comprehended. They ask a plant to grow and it does. Though they claim no mystic powers over the earth, such would seem to exist.”
-Life of the Forest: A Study of the Xuur-dunda by Ketel

“We ask the plants to grow, because we love them, yes, but they grow of there own will, not ours… gopahla grows the plants of the forest, and we wonder at such things, as do the other people of this world.”
-quote from an unnamed Xuur-dunda slave

((note: this is just what i have so far, i'll update it as i get more worked out))
kalliikak at 10:59PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Werta-waa (wear-tah-wah)

Pictured here: Werta-waa

The Werta-waa are trees that have taken a female humanoid form in their growth development. The Werta-waa has oval shaped leaves, ending in a short points, smooth bark, and flowers bright red/pink, producing a sweet grapelike fruit. They do not possess any measurable difference in sentient activity from other trees, though the idea has been suggested.

The flowers, leaves, even bark are considered to have healing properties in many cultures, and are used in a number of spells and medicines related to fertility. Sometimes they are uprooted and placed in the gardens of wealthy monarchs. They have also been cut down in cases, to adorn throne rooms, or for use in the frames of beds or doorways.

One verbal myth (origin unknown) says that a god of the forest saw a beautiful maiden walking at the edge of the trees and overcome with excitement, he ran off into the forest to masturbate. Wherever his seed fell, Werta-waa grew, capturing the beauty of the maiden from which they were inspired. (The grey army, having encountered the Xuur-dunda, have related the gods in this tale to Gopahla and Elish-ahn.)

The Xuur-dunda believe that the Werta-waa are a race created by Gopahla that has not yet awakened. They believe that Gopahla created the Xuur-dunda in much the same way. That the first Gazelle-kin sprung from the earth as trees that gradually took the humanoid form they possess today.

((note: the wrong section for this. i'm developing a good bit of the forest all at once though, so i'm putting it here for now))
kalliikak at 12:54PM, April 9, 2010
(online)
Gopahla and the Qoorxas-aar (go-pa-la)(koor-kahz-ar)

“Ilishuda was given time and dimension. The infinite space was suddenly bound by distance, separated by vast stretches of emptiness. Many of us were left in the midst of a desolate cold. And so we focused on the nearest light, drawn to it like flies. We fell through the stars, and the tiny worlds that revolved about them, like a child’s mobile hung before our infant eyes. And looking closer we learned of the creator’s treachery, that our realm should be given to pathetic, short lived creatures.”

Pictured here: Qoorxas-aar

Gopahla is said to be the god of the forest, but sometimes is considered to actually be the forest itself. There is a great mountain in the deep forest, upon which sits a temple with a tree growing through the stones- this is commonly believed to be Gopahla. Beneath this structure is the actuality of Gopahla, a huge underground system built of strange stone with small flecks of turquoise light running throughout. There is a massive generator and cravings of solar calendars for multiple systems, as well as orbital trajectories. Gopahla is an ancient attempt at a spacecraft, a huge spherical shaped structure beneath the forest, built of blocks cut from petrified trees, along with a system of still living roots that spread throughout the entire forest. Most people will only ever see the strange roots in places where they surface, massive structures that pull out of the earth.

In a way, Gopahla does nurture the forest, as it pumps liquids from deep beneath the ground, mixing them with solutions of silicon and aluminum compounds (which are used in petrifaction) as well as other nutrients and then spread through out the forest by way of the roots. These roots then double as an electrical system, pulling bio-electric energy from the forest and routing it back to the main structure, where it has been stored for thousands upon thousands of years.

It is hard to say if Gopahla is sentient, or more of a preprogrammed construct that works with the ecosystem of the forest. Very few have stumbled upon the temple of Gopahla, much less the depths of the superstructure lying beneath the forest (some of which may have been found and corrupted by the Tathe.) Which brings us to the Qoorxas-aar. These are constructs like living trees, using a stone monument as their torso and head, grasses and roots growing throughout, movement based on a massive weave of roots that coil and twist so that propulsion is much like a snake. These smaller constructs are attributed intelligence and sentience based upon the way they look, often they seem to have a head, body and hands, though much of this is simply the stone work that the living vines have chosen to hold themselves together. The Qoorxas-aar move through the deep forest, sometimes treading through the lesser forests, seeking out the trees that have succumb to prettification at the hands of Gopahla. They then cut great blocks out of the stone trees and return them to the temple of Gopahla.

((as a note: again likely the wrong section. I am not ready to say that gopahla is not a singular living entity, some manner of god or man, though I suspect that the use of the forest to build and power the superstructure was tasked to gopahla by some other being. I plan to rewrite this whole section at some point, because I feel it concerns the actuality of gopahla, the literal thing that he is, and doesn’t have enough of the myths concerning him and the qoorxas-aar))
drgodzey at 9:47AM, April 14, 2010
(offline)
“I will tell you why i go to the desert!” boomed the stranger, as he hobbled into the village clearing.

No one payed any attention. Adults kept on task, a few raised their heads, quickly glanced toward the stranger, murmured and hastily went back to work. Those who weren't busy quickly found something, and those unfortunate enough to have nothing close by to occupy their attention either looked at the sky or to the ground, as if searching for a great secret somewhere within the depths. Children hid, or ran straight indoors.A serious looking man stormed out from between the skins of a hut across the village.

“I am Breos, Mardukku of this village. We will listen after sunset.”, he replied as he walked toward the stranger.

The stranger sat down and waited. Hours passed and the sun eventually set, Slowly the entire village gathered around the stranger.

“My name is Kalim”, said the stranger, “I will tell you why i go to the desert so that you will not forget.”

“Tell us Kalim,” answered all of the villagers in unison.

Kalim began: “Marduk has four sons and three daughters. Each he made from a portion of himself. Quetzalcotios was given the air to live, Leviathos given the water, and Dilonos was given the earth. Of his daughters Prajapea was given the charge of watching over life, Ghede Masakae was told to comfort those who pass on.”

“But where is the fourth son.” the villagers asked.

“Lost.”, Kalim answered softly, “The youngest of all, Marduk's most treasured, was to be given the heavens. But he never got a chance to claim the birthright. He was kidnapped and hidden from his family. Taken by those jealous of Marduk. Taken and put in a great pit of iron. There is no wind, water, or earth in the iron pit. The pit was then placed in the desert, and in the desert there is no life, and with no life there is no death. The other children of Marduk are helpless to find their brother, And Marduk himself too sad.”

“You go to the desert to find the lost son.” called the village.

“To find the lost son, I must first find the pit.” Kalim quickly called back at them.

“The place is forgo……..”, the villager's time remembered response cut off.

“I have found it.” breathed Kalim. The firelight danced on Kalim's features. He looked wild, fanatical, lusted. The only sound was the heavy breathing of the village as they sat struck with silence.

“There is a race known as the Pithe who inhabit the lower desert. In my yearly pilgramige to search for the lost one I was captured by some of their warriors.” Kalim slowly began.

“The desert is barren, and Little brothers and Sisters do not exist there, when the warriors came at me I could not Call any to help. They easily captured me, knocking me unconscious. I awoke in a cage. I was not the only one, five others were with me. I tried again to Call the Brothers and Sisters, but none were around. Then some people approached the cage, and for the first time I was able to study my captors. These Pithe appear as you and I, except that they do not have hair and instead of flesh they are covered with rocks and crystals.”

A low rustle of hushed whispers and curses rolled around the villagers.

Kalim continued:“As the Pithe opened the cage the other prisoners wept with fear and scampered away. Not knowing what to expect, I watched, and prepared to defend myself if necessary. The Pithe moved toward one of the male captives and as their hands touched him a high pitched scream escaped his lips. I noticed that where they touched him his skin had become red and erupted in boils. They dragged him from the cage and secured it behind them. They moved the man to a stone table and strapped him down. He only whimpered now, his strength exhausted. The Pithe then produced a small knife, and cut into his right arm. The Pithe then loosened a piece of his skin and placed it inside the man's cut. The man was like a animal stuck in a trap, his eyes rolled back and he began to breath slow and
heavy. The Pithe left. Over then next day I watched the man transform, like a disease, crystal and rock slowly took over his skin. The Pithe then released the man, and he stumbled off into their ranks, no longer resisting, as if he had been tamed.”

“I knew that this would be my fate.” Spoke Kalim, “The cage door opened again, the Pithe threw in rotten fruits to us, and grabbed a screaming woman this time. As the cage closed again I leaned back against the wall of my prison, and closed my
eyes, trying to meditate. I was surprised when a small voice Called to me. My eyes popped open and I jumped to the rotten fruit inside the cage. The small voice Called my name again, and I opened a rotten melon. there in it's
center was our little Brother Rhagoletis. I wept to him, and told him of my horrible fate. Rhagoletis was also sad, he was far away from his home, and was sick. But he said there was a chance, if I could feed him, he might be able
to grow stronger. But there was nothing good to give him. So I took a sharp rock and cut mt finger and let him drink of my blood. Rhagoletis liked this very much, and he became happy again.”

The village gave a soft applause, and many men and women laughed softly. Rhagoletis is a common friend in all villages, removing disease and rot, helping in whatever way he can.

“I kept feeding Rhagoletis, and he grew. And every day the Pithe took someone else, till there was only myself and a young girl left. Knowing that it was either her or I the next day I made a decision.” Kalim said as he shakily stood, “I fed Rhagoletis my right leg.”

The village gasped as Kalim pulled aside his straw skirt revealed only a stump from the thigh down. The air was still, the firelight catching movement in the jungle behind Kalim, as a large shape crept slowly in the shadows.

“The next day!” Kalim exclaimed, snapping the village's attention back to him, “The next day a terrible storm of dust was upon us. Rhagoletis had sealed my leg, and my strength was returning. No Pithe came to collect. I paced the cage, thinking desperately. Rhagoletis sat coiled in the corner, trying to comfort me. Just as I resigned myself to fate, a long gargle came from the young girl. I went to her. She was dead.”

Kalim stared into the eyes of the villagers,“I fed her to Rhagoletis.”

The villagers were crowded together now, their ears desperate for every word.

“The Pithe came the next morning after the storm had finished. They opened the gate”, Fire danced in Kalim's eyes, “I fed them to Rhagoletis.”

“More guards came”, Kalim's voice rose, “and I fed them to Rhagoletis.”

Spittle frothed his lips, “The Pithe warriors came, and I fed them to Rhagoletis!”

Kalim stood, shaking with fury, and his voice boomed! “ALL THE PITHE CAME, AND I FED THEM TO RHAGOLETIS!”

The ground around the village rolled with passion, as little Brothers and Sisters writhed in estacy. The villagers roared.

“When I left my cage, I searched the Pithe Village. I found no food or water. Nothing to sustain me, except this!”

Kalim said as he produced a map from his satchel.“Look closely people of Marduk.”

Kalim's finger pointed to a dull gray orb, in the lower desert. It was marked with a picture of a segmented creature.

“This is why I go to the desert,” Kalim spoke through his tears.

Slowly the whole village started walking back to their homes. Slowly they started to pack their belongings. It was going to be a long journey.

We Out Chea!
kalliikak at 4:12PM, April 18, 2010
(online)
gonna start a ‘narrative’ thread so we can move some of the full on story bits there. (mostly to keep each thread as close to topic as possible so we don't confuse ourselves too badly as the project grows.)
drgodzey at 8:15PM, April 18, 2010
(offline)
The Marduki: Followers of the worm-god Marduk

Geography: want to put the jungle area in the western “delta” area of the Southern continent. Let me know if anyone has a problem with this. Can build the History from there.
We Out Chea!
kalliikak at 9:38PM, April 18, 2010
(online)
should be fine, we don't have any plans for that area yet. it'll be thick jungle and shallow waters (many places the rivers will be wide and too shallow for large boats) should be a good place for the Marduki.
kalliikak at 6:29PM, April 25, 2010
(online)
Alamesh

City Map - Alamesh

Not really a finished map, could use some labeling and a little work around the edges, but it'll do for now. Also, i'm putting it here, as its part of the Culture/race that is the grey army.

Alamesh is the capital city of the grey army (grey dawn, people of the dawn). I'll be updating this post as i fix on the government and city life. For now, let me say that the city is ruled by an elect government on one side, and by the church on the other side (something like how the emperor and roman catholic church ruled the roman empire in 350ish a.d.) Alamesh is a conglomeration of various cultures and ideas into a single city, as the city expanded, it took on the many different peoples and their architectures. the original city predates elish-ahn and is thought to have been crafted by Makesh and his chieftains.

The grey army is under jurisdiction of the church, whereas the civilian government deals mostly with keeping the peace in the city, and order among the cultures that have come to live under the banner of the grey dawn.

near the crown of elish-ahn (the tower at the center of the old city) the buildings are dense and large, lots of skyscrapers and such.

probably their are a few tiers within the population. the higher tiers probably have a mentality of a very progressive, modern type culture, where religion plays a part, but is just as easily cast aside for personal ventures. lower tiers will live in poverty, often made up of people who were accepted into the grey dawn's society, and some may cling to their previous cultural gods. you can expect to see anything in Alamesh.

crimes are divided into those against the city and those against elish-ahn, and handled by a city police force (prefect system) or officials within the church.

the idea is that their is an underlying feeling that elish-ahn and the church control everything, while on the surface it would appear the the church stays out of matters and allows the people of the dawn considerable freedom in their lifestyles.

all this may change, i'll post again as i figure some of it out.
drgodzey at 5:36PM, May 2, 2010
(offline)
LOL, that must have been painstaking! Awesome!
We Out Chea!
kalliikak at 4:23PM, July 18, 2010
(online)
a possible design for a set of armor used by the grey army… not so sure i like it as a main set, but maybe an old version of the armor, or a specialized set or something like that. Grey Army Armor

i don't expect the grey army to have a single themed armor or military. since Alamesh is pretty open to foreign culture and ideas, the grey army recruits people from the towns and villages they pass through, incorporating many styles of armor and weaponry into their ranks as they go. Probably their is an official armor set, but as you get further away from Alamesh, even this set is likely to take on different styles as it is modified.

some of the emblems used in the grey army. Emblems of the grey army

the top left is likely a war banner of sorts, the rightmost is a universal sign of the people of the dawn, and the lower emblem is associated with the church of the dawn.
kalliikak at 11:57PM, July 30, 2010
(online)
Unkhavi(oon-kah-vee)

Pictured here - Unkhavi (female)

Appearance- Medium to dark skinned, dark hair, eyes typically black, brown or yellow. Average height of 5’8” to 6’4”. Stout build.
Location- The step lakes of Kallen’desh. The Unkhavi inhabit the broken ruins scattered about the area.
History- thought to be remnants of a once civilized people that were nearly wiped out when Kallen’desh fell from the sky. The Unkhavi have clung to old ideas that have grown into a whole new way of life in the aftermath, adapting to live in the harsh wilds of the broken lakes and forests. They worship Gorramalt, the frog god, who once sat at the edge of the world like a great mountain, devouring the stars in the evening sky until he was full and fat, exploding into mist and shadow. Now he hunts the spirits of shadow, the ghosts of men and gods that haunt the ruins of Kallen’desh. Gorramalt demands courage and cunning from the Unkhavi, and thus, they have developed poisons and weapons that benefit them in the wild forests of the step lakes.
Beliefs- Worship the frog god, Gorramalt, said to live depths of Kallen’desh. A firm idea of a realm of shadow and mist called Nabtun, where Gorramalt resides. They perform rituals among the ruins, using poisons to “walk” in the shadow and commune with their god. The Tama’grik, as it is called, is a stance like state, their sweat quickly evaporating like a thick fog off of their bodies as they experience something akin to a waking dream. Blood sacrifices, and other rituals dealing with the wavering mists of Kallen’desh are also a part of Unkhavi life, however, the ritual and repetition in their religion is more important then internalizing the ideas and myths of Gorramalt. The idea that actions weigh heavier then personal belief is an underlying theme of Unkhavi thought. Nabtun (the shadow realm) is feared as much as revered by the people.
Taboos- Fleeing from honorable combat is looked down upon. Many of the poisons used to enhance Unkhavi ability during battle are fatal, and as such, victory must be achieved so that the warriors can return home and receive the antidotes.
Magic/Tech- Use poisons collected from the wildlife of Kallen’desh to enhance their abilities. Unkhavi generally have a necklace of claws or sharpened bones about their neck, each talon dipped in a poison that can be used for various effects (simply by sticking themselves with the point). One poison numbs all pain (or the individuals concern thereof). Perhaps a very old poison, mixed with verbal queues, that makes the body secrete a fog or mist, making them appear to have transformed into air and shadow. This is known as the Nabtun Ninn, or “Breath of sleeping shadow”, sometimes referred to as the ‘Rasp of Ninn’ by outsiders. Also use poisons to see into the “shadow world”, where they believe their frog god’s true form exists. Many of the poisons will kill the user if they do not take the antidote in time. For tribal battles, a potent toxin is given to the warriors, heightening their reflexes and numbing pain, but should they not return to their villages after the battle, the poison will kill them. There are stories outsiders tell of battles with the Unkhavi- of Unkhavi warriors turning into shadow and hunting them from the dark of Kallen’desh… of Unkhavi warriors disemboweled that kept fighting, charging at their enemies with crazed eyes.
Language- Primitive language and pictograph writings.
Food/Clothing/Shelter- mild temperatures year round mean clothing is minimal. Animal skins, furs, leather, feathers. Tattoos, jewelry, beads, cords, with a focus on the bits that are deadly about their prey, the claws, the eyes, the teeth. Often take pebbles and imbed them beneath the skin to produce raised skin art, meant to mimic the rough skin of a toad or frog. Will cover themselves in a thick dye that helps to ward off insects. Also use dyes in their hair. The Unkhavi use staffs and bows, typically tipped in poison. Unkhavi diet consists of berries and fruits from the forest jungle, fish and meats. Usually found living in the many stone ruins scattered throughout Kallen’desh.
Customs – Duality of poison and antidote, man and woman, the mist and the shadow. Commune with the shadow world. The Unkhavi believe that the thick mists that fall over Kallen’desh are the spirit of Gorramalt manifesting in the physical world, like a link between this world and the shadow realm.
Relations- The Unkhavi are typically hostile toward outsiders. No trade or commerce. They are one of the dangerous parts of Kallen’desh. They do not stray far from the step lakes and its forests.
kalliikak at 12:16PM, Aug. 5, 2010
(online)
below are some of j's designs. i'll list them with numbers so that you can add another post that describes them.

1. Gilgadune Female

2. Gilgadune Male

3. T'troyamin

4. Quin Sallo

5. Quin Sallo 2

6. Red Army Heavy Infantry

7. Madeline Shae
drgodzey at 11:38PM, Aug. 22, 2010
(offline)
The Marduki

Appearance: Bodies range from slender and lean to plump and soft , average height of 6', dark skinned, brown eyes.

Location: The Joni Delta. The Joni River flows from the north of the lower continent to the delta area on the west side of the continent. The Delta has created a lush environment, thick jungle and towering canopies cover the entire area. The tributaries of the Joni are impossible to navigate without a guide. The sea side portion of the Delta would best be described as sub tropic beach. At night the jungle is pitch black, chattering with the sound of animals. The most recognizable sound is the cry of Marduk's daughters Gauisus Lala. Their distinct high pitched wailing rebounds across the Joni at night, comforting the residents and frightening the traveler who happened to stray too close to the Joni. Needless to say, the Joni houses hundreds of different types of Marduk's children.

History: The Marduki, as their history tells it, were found by the worm-god Marduk in his search for his lost son. Marduk settled his people in the Joni delta so that they were in a hospitable environment for any many of his children (other worms)as possible. They have always lived in the Joni Delta as a scattering of tribal villages throughout the region. There was no real organization to the differing villages and their relationships. Sometimes one or another villager would travel to other villages for festivals, supplies, help, etc. Rarely, different village's residents would intermarry after falling in love during a trip. They never fought amongst each other, but all the villagers were extremely wary of outsiders, and usually would try to scare away foreigners, and if they had to would attack outsiders. Luckily, this didn't happen much, the Joni Delta is surrounded by harsh desert, and rapids near where the river splits are treacherous to navigate.

The Joni Delta: The Joni splits into several main tributaries. Each is named for the immediate sons and daughters of Marduk. The most enigmatic of these breaks is the lost river, which represents the lost son, which plummets deep within the each. No Marduki knows where it emerges. The other main branches of the Joni are all considered holy representations of the Marduki faith, and their waters are used in conjunction with numerous rituals of the corresponding Marduk offspring. If an outsider ever touches any of the waters within the Joni Delta they are to immediately sacrificed to the the offspring which guards that portions of the river. Deep within the heart of the delta is the palace of Marduk himself. The location is hidden, and even the most devote Marduki do not know it's location. Religious texts state that if it is even disturbed a holy war would immediately follow.

Daily Life: All the different Marduki villages are based on a pastoral lifestyle. The differing villages all have the same family structure. Typically the eldest man governs the immediate family (children, grandchildren) on a day to day basis. This includes the distribution of daily chores, domestic projects, and village business. The eldest woman leads the family in all holiday and religious affairs. Every family owns a flock/herd of domesticated animals, and has a personal garden. Typically houses and buildings are constructed from river mud mixed with straw, and baked in the sun to become a hard brown brick. However, villages constructed in the treetops are made from hearty wood and vines, while coastal villages build their structures out of natural stone and coral. All the furnishings within the home are made out of wood, plant material, and animal parts ( such as bone, shell, etc). Metals are never used in any part of Marduki buildings, clothes, or daily life. There are many rich gold and silver veins that have been uncovered throughout the Joni. Vast tin and iron deposits have also been found. Marduk forbids the use of any ore on the grounds that metals have come from beyond Mosk. The Lost Son was meant to govern over the vast heaven, and it would be blasphemy to harness metal's power without his Son.

Religion: The term Marduki refers to the people of the Joni Delta, but also refers to the fanatic shamans of the the Worm-god. Not all followers of Marduk are deemed Marduki. The title is given when an individual discovers the name of a unique worm. For example, all of the earthworms that help the villagers till their soil are all referred, spoken of, and called with the name Gi Termis. However, Marduk's family also consists of many unique worms. If a particular worm gives his/her name to a person he is then a Marduki. A good example of this would be when Rhagoletis introduced himself to Kalim (see previous narrative). Once a relationship is made with a worm, the new Marduki typically begins to undertake the great task of searching for Marduk's Lost Son. This means traveling far beyond the Joni's territory. Marduki can know the name of many worms. But none of them will ever respond to his call unless he offers them the proper sacrifice. The sacrifice needed to call forth the worms could be anything from refuse to precious metals, and also incredibly specific. The First Grandson of Marduk, Mollis Rope, can only be summoned with the sacrifice of a firstborn son's baby teeth.
The basis of the Marduki faith is to reunited Marduk with his Lost Son, so that an era of peace and harmony can come to all people. Inevitably there are tribe members that lose faith, or choose simply to ignore the worm/man relationship. These individuals are quickly isolated from the rest of the village, and given as a sacrifice to Vusosus, The One that Keeps the List. All trace of this individuals disappears within one day of the sacrifice, as Vusosus' servants wipe all trace of the heathen from the village.

Important Personalities:
Kalim - This passionate Marduki travels with the colossal Rhagoletis Maw-Worm. Kalim is curently rallying support from the Joni tribes in a belief that he has found the location of the Lost Son's prison deep within the desert.
Huleeset - He grew up in one of the coastal villages of the Joni. Huleeset is a fisherman by birth and trade. He would dive deep within the clear waters to harvest pearls during the summer. During one dive he found a black pearl the size of a fist, on it was written the name Ingens Colobrine Hydrophis. Now Huleeset guards the coast along with the Father of the Sea. They have destroyed many landing parties, but attacks have been coming more frequent lately.
We Out Chea!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon