Comic Talk and General Discussion *

An idea I just got. yay or nay?
memo333 at 8:05AM, Nov. 19, 2023
(offline)
Just came with this cool idea.

What if…a character has the power/ability to know whats comming in the manga, as a “spoiler” because he already knows what the author knows (LIKE ME, LOL) and tells the back story of a character while nobody knows.

Is like a peak to the future, past. Just to create hype.

or because that backstory is not important for the plot at that moment..BUT..for the audience to know . because I would love to give a character a good peak to his past BUT why if its not important for the plot at that time.

the idea is good or not? I like it..but who knows.

All my stuff here: https://linktr.ee/memo333
mightguy15 at 11:51AM, Nov. 19, 2023
(offline)
I'm not sure if narrating plot points and backstory to an audience is a good idea, I've always been a bigger fan of showing such things organically through the story.

I think a character knowing the future is a cool idea for a villain or a detective type character though, it could make them quite an unstoppable force and it could be interesting to see how their enemies deal with such a powerful ability.
Miss_Mlem at 9:17AM, Nov. 25, 2023
(offline)
memo333 wrote:

What if…a character has the power/ability to know whats comming in the manga, as a “spoiler” because he already knows what the author knows (LIKE ME, LOL) and tells the back story of a character while nobody knows.

or because that backstory is not important for the plot at that moment..BUT..for the audience to know . because I would love to give a character a good peak to his past BUT why if its not important for the plot at that time.

What you are describing is expository information. Basically what mightyguy said.

When you watch a movie, and there is a text crawl at the start telling you what is going on, or, you have two people talking, and one says, “Hey, you're job is about making computer chips. Why don't you do blah blah”.

Two people who work at the same job don't conversate like that, ever. Because THEY already know. They do this to explain something to the audience.

If your world is fantastical, then yes, some exposition is fine, like with star wars crawls.

If you had a character just tell the audience what is going on in the story, then the audience will be insulted - why are you telling me what Joe is thinking? Why not have Joe be expressive and show me?

Exposition is fine if handled correctly.

For example, let's say your character does exactly what you say, telling the audience this and that. At the end of the first issue, something your character says “Obviously Joe will ask her out because he is in love with her!” But then Joe tells the woman she's evil, and storm off, leaving your future casting character confused… Now there is a mystery… Turns out, there is a second character that can do the same thing, but he understands exposition is bad, so he is doing his best to make sure the audience is engaged with mystery.

It turns out, your main character is actually the antagonist while this hidden 4th wall breaking character is the protagonist.

I know that wasn't the thrust of your comic idea at all, but, it's an example on how you can flat out tell people expository information, but then that very thing becomes the mystery.

Exposition, if handled well, works perfectly. The fine line is - am I insulting my audience or not?

memo333 at 8:13AM, Nov. 26, 2023
(offline)
Miss_Mlem wrote:
memo333 wrote:

What you are describing is expository information. Basically what mightyguy said.

When you watch a movie, and there is a text crawl at the start telling you what is going on, or, you have two people talking, and one says, “Hey, you're job is about making computer chips. Why don't you do blah blah”.

Two people who work at the same job don't conversate like that, ever. Because THEY already know. They do this to explain something to the audience.

If your world is fantastical, then yes, some exposition is fine, like with star wars crawls.

If you had a character just tell the audience what is going on in the story, then the audience will be insulted - why are you telling me what Joe is thinking? Why not have Joe be expressive and show me?

Exposition is fine if handled correctly.

For example, let's say your character does exactly what you say, telling the audience this and that. At the end of the first issue, something your character says “Obviously Joe will ask her out because he is in love with her!” But then Joe tells the woman she's evil, and storm off, leaving your future casting character confused… Now there is a mystery… Turns out, there is a second character that can do the same thing, but he understands exposition is bad, so he is doing his best to make sure the audience is engaged with mystery.

It turns out, your main character is actually the antagonist while this hidden 4th wall breaking character is the protagonist.

I know that wasn't the thrust of your comic idea at all, but, it's an example on how you can flat out tell people expository information, but then that very thing becomes the mystery.

Exposition, if handled well, works perfectly. The fine line is - am I insulting my audience or not?

well …idk..I could wait.

instead of doing thisi asap…or later..i can wait..thats the problem..i tend to get to excited then…baaah///

i have a little thda so that changes my mood a lot.sometimes…

All my stuff here: https://linktr.ee/memo333
sleeping_gorilla at 1:22PM, Dec. 15, 2023
(offline)
Terry Moore did this in one of his later volumes. He showed how his two main characters, Katchoo and Francine, have a near-miss reunion after being estranged for five years. We see how they have moved on and changed in a short 8-page story.

Then he takes us back to the beginning and sees them make completely different decisions so that this dystopian future never actually happens.

——————

I would also recommend watching a few episodes of That's So Raven. Raven Symone has doomsayer psychic visions they spend the episode trying to avoid. They always fail to stop it, and it is never what they think it will be.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon