Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The REAL Reason Superhero Movies Don't Work Long Term
mks_monsters at 9:51AM, Dec. 2, 2023
(offline)
I know this is my hot take, but I think the number one reason Superhero Movies go bad isn't because of fatigue, but because Superhero tales are too long and detailed to be compressed into one movie at a time and work better as long form TV shows. And I think that is a plus.

Not just because you get to tell the story properly, but there are actually a lot of great job opportunities and artistic paths you can take in a TV show that you just don't get in a film. TV shows make develop a personal relationship with the characters and their world.

You get that with a film too, but not as personally or as deep as you do with a show. I mean, look at how deeply we fell in love with Ashoka Tano thanks to going on her long detailed journey with her. It's ok to take your time in telling a story. That is an art form too.
Genejoke at 6:09PM, Dec. 3, 2023
(online)
it's probably a factor, anything long running will naturally be better long form, but the long form aspect work well for the MCU for a while. Fatigue and over saturation are certainly key aspects, but I think the main issue comes down to endless growth.

Sequels usually come down to trying to be bigger, better, faster and more and it get harder and harder to top. Then there's repetition, how many origin and end of the world scenarios can you swallow before you start to choke?

The comics have the same issue, hence the constant reboots.
InkyMoondrop at 12:36AM, Dec. 4, 2023
(offline)
It doesn't help much that…

1. many of these movies are making their title characters practically secondary and otherwise use the runtime to tease / warm up 2-3 other characters so you'd go see their own movies / series as well,

2. the multiverse took high stakes out of the picture, because anyone could return at any point in any form, so why give a fuck if this or that dies,

and 3. the crew always talks about the movies like they're going to blow your mind and actually they're CGI action-driven flicks with poor, unoriginal scripts.
JohnCelestri at 5:27PM, Dec. 4, 2023
(offline)
Superheroes have become so powerful there is no sense of them possibly existing. Thus, they are not relatable as human beings and their “Save the Universe from Destruction” stories are just spectator video games. Even when they are destroyed (as in “Avengers: Endgame”), they have stopped being creatures of flesh and blood; so, their atoms are scattered like the 0's and 1's they are. But you can bet that a “fresh-take” reboot is always waiting to be green-lit by the Film Studio Suits.
last edited on Dec. 4, 2023 5:31PM
Ozoneocean at 7:30PM, Dec. 4, 2023
(online)
JohnCelestri wrote:
Superheroes have become so powerful there is no sense of them possibly existing.
Exactly :(
This is why my fave superhero film of the Marvel bunch is Captain America: It's actually set when the hero first started rather than a stupid reinvisioning like ALL the rest and he begins by just normal human feats: punching, blocking and using his guns against other humans.
The biggest things he fights are the Red Skull, who's still a human but tougher, and some normal humans with hyped up weapons.
And it's fantastic!

A superhero doesn't need to be a god and fight other gods, they just need to be tougher than the average person and when they fight criminals they taking care of our wish fullfilment: “Oh I would love to help those people and get rid of crime but I'm just not strong enough…” -BAM, a superhero can do that, so it makes you feel good about reading the stories.

But having it all god-level is just so pointless.
It's like the podcast we did on “rasing the stakes” https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/quackcast/episode-661-steaks-stakes when the audience can't identify with the stakes anymore or even understand how they affect the character then they're pointless.
JohnCelestri at 5:32PM, Dec. 6, 2023
(offline)
Captain America: The First Avenger is my favorite Marvel movie. It has the flavor of the Golden/Silver Age comic books.
ArrenMcStealsalot at 4:23AM, Dec. 10, 2023
(offline)
The reason why I don't enjoy superhereo content is because it's one huge neverending soap opera, with constant reboots and reaimaginigs that aren't really doing anything new at all. It's just a lot of special effects masking the fact that the story is bad.
I'm also not a big fan of big superhero universes in which invincible guys with godlike powers fight other invincible guys with godlike powers. I don't find it relatable. I much more preffer stroies where person behind the mask is just a human. Well trained and maybe with some cool gadgets, but still just a human. The caracter I really liked watching movies about before I had acces to any superhero movies was Zorro. He is smart and a great fencer, but he can't just tank fire from a unit of soldiers. One shot point blank and he's dead.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon