Comic Talk and General Discussion *

What are some "outsider criticism" of your chosen media/genre you cannot stand or find wrong?
Furwerk studio at 1:37PM, Dec. 24, 2023
(offline)
So, when I work I tend to listen to comic and scifi “reviews”, I tend to treat them as recap shows with interesting voices and jokes depending on the creator, and one thing I tend to encounter when listening to a few of them that only near deal exclusively with popular ones from the big 2, mainly Linkara and Moviebob*, that the medium was "Wierd.

There's often a feeling of, not feeling like they actually enjoy their medium and treating it as something to use as ether a stepping stone to something “bigger” like a movie or such.

And any time they touch anything Manga/anime/Japanese I tend to just skip that episode, mainly because it feels like they go right for the low hanging fruit so easily (typically Tentacles hentai, and a lot of new stereotypes).

*I dropped Moviebob for years, and heard he had gone completely off his nut now.
J_Scarbrough at 3:35PM, Dec. 24, 2023
(offline)
As far as puppetry goes, this was the same issue Jim Henson had taken, in that the medium is often dismissed as being “for kids only,” which is clearly not the case whatsoever - and in fact, this was the exact reason why just when the Muppets were gaining national exposure, he was initially reluctantly to become a part of SESAME STREET, because he didn't want the Muppets to be regarded as kiddy fare . . . which, unfortunately, ended up being the case, and why all three (at the time) of the American networks rejected his pitch for THE MUPPET SHOW, because they thought it'd be a little kiddy show.

Even now, when I tell people I'm a puppeteer, one of the first assumptions people come to upon the revelation is that I must work with children, which I don't; none of my work, whether puppets or comics, is ever aimed at children, but they're never aimed at adults either, anyone can enjoy it if they wish.

Joseph Scarbrough
YouTube :: Facebook :: Instagram
davidxolukoga at 12:43PM, Jan. 10, 2024
(offline)
J_Scarbrough wrote:
As far as puppetry goes, this was the same issue Jim Henson had taken, in that the medium is often dismissed as being “for kids only,” which is clearly not the case whatsoever - and in fact, this was the exact reason why just when the Muppets were gaining national exposure, he was initially reluctantly to become a part of SESAME STREET, because he didn't want the Muppets to be regarded as kiddy fare . . . which, unfortunately, ended up being the case, and why all three (at the time) of the American networks rejected his pitch for THE MUPPET SHOW, because they thought it'd be a little kiddy show.

Even now, when I tell people I'm a puppeteer, one of the first assumptions people come to upon the revelation is that I must work with children, which I don't; none of my work, whether puppets or comics, is ever aimed at children, but they're never aimed at adults either, anyone can enjoy it if they wish.

I feel this applies to comis too (at least to an extent). Growing up people always thought i was into saturday morning cartoons because i read comics. But actually they couldn't have been further from the truth, seeing as I mostly read indie and underground comix. Even the more mainstream ones I read where by Grant Morrison, and Alan Moore

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon