Comic Talk and General Discussion *

do you believe in mythical creatures??
Cthulhu at 8:00PM, July 5, 2007
(online)
Puff
Damn you C'thulhu, with your debunking laughter and preceeing question… You make me feel so silly! D:

“Hahaha, what?”, is my new line.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Ozoneocean at 8:05PM, July 5, 2007
(online)
Puff
I heard the notion of unicorns was started in Medieval times (at least in Europe) by traders who sold Narwhale horns, claiming they came from magical horned horses called Unicorns.
Narwhal horns helped the myth, but they didn't start it. It's older than Medieval times anyway ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Bekefel at 8:28PM, July 5, 2007
(offline)
Octoshite, that's my line.

Wait, what?

Haha, what?

No, wait?

Find your own thing. Anyway, on topic. Yes, considering any species that has not been uncovered could be described as a monster or something. Plus, it makes life more interesting.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
Argent_Nightmare at 3:35AM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Just a note… in English, it's called an “Alip” or “Allip”
If I remember the legend(s) correctly, an Alip is a spectre born of dark will that feeds on fear and anguish, and is not technically a ghost, but rather is a semi-intelligent pseudo-ghost… Are we thinking the same thing, or no?
Again, if I remember correctly, an Alip appears in a dark hooded cloak or coat… and, allegedly, occasionally something more akin to a hooded sweatshirt in modern times. I suppose that even evil spirits can't escape the emogoth plague?
Rutger
My nipples are an ocean of pain.
AQua_ng
When it comes to prostitution, the price is…um, Bob Barker.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:01AM
beautifully_demonic at 12:33PM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Argent_Nightmare
Just a note… in English, it's called an “Alip” or “Allip”
If I remember the legend(s) correctly, an Alip is a spectre born of dark will that feeds on fear and anguish, and is not technically a ghost, but rather is a semi-intelligent pseudo-ghost… Are we thinking the same thing, or no?
Again, if I remember correctly, an Alip appears in a dark hooded cloak or coat… and, allegedly, occasionally something more akin to a hooded sweatshirt in modern times. I suppose that even evil spirits can't escape the emogoth plague?
now that´s a very good point but still … mah dad says that the hooded figures or whatever they are that I see in the night are just some stupid brats but that´s nearly impossible since we live in the more obscure regions of Iceland … that might be a bit of a problem to solve the issue … I really wanna know what´s going on in my home
(\__/) | This is Bunny.
(O.o ) | Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(> < ) | him on his way to world domination!

1f u c4n r34d 7h1s u r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d
Glarg at 5:02PM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Lochness Monster- Disproven (but was a plausable theory)
Big Foot- Proven
El Chewy- N/A
Vampires- Proven (there ARE people who get fnag implants and drink blood you know)
Zombies- N/A
Werewolves- N/A (I only believe you can be a were wolf if some beastiality incident happened when some guy/girl got alittle to horny and screwed a wolf, resulting in a weird halfreed)
Mothman- Disproven
Birdman- Disproven
Lyger- Plausable
Ookapi- Proven
Dragons- Proven (someone found the ancient remains of a dead dragon)
Cyclops-N/A

So far that's all I know of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
Puff at 5:14PM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Glarg
Cyclops-N/A
I heard that the Greeks used to find Mammoth skulls, and the large nostril cavity looked like a giant eye hole, and the Greeks thought they were the skulls of long-dead cyclopses. And damn you, C'thulhu, if you “Hahaha, what?” me I'll… I'll… Go cry in my pillow I suppose. D:
Insufficient funds, banner reposessed! >:0

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Cure
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
Cthulhu at 5:23PM, July 6, 2007
(online)
Glarg
You silly. That was “for entertainment purposes only”

Hahaha,-

Puff
And damn you, C'thulhu, if you “Hahaha, what?” me I'll… I'll… Go cry in my pillow I suppose. D:

Nevermind.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:56AM
Bekefel at 6:45PM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Glarg, you peaked my interest.

Links?
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
Glarg at 7:37AM, July 7, 2007
(offline)
Bekefel
Glarg, you peaked my interest.

Links?
Don't be lazy, search.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:37PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 7:55AM, July 7, 2007
(online)
Cthulhu
Glarg
You silly. That was “for entertainment purposes only”

Yeah. I remember a thing on Discovery Channel that used that as a plotline. If you watched it after the credits, it was revealed that the whole show was fake.

Glarg
Werewolves- N/A (I only believe you can be a were wolf if some beastiality incident

That idea is silly. Werewolves can be attributed to Hypertrichosis ( “werewolf syndrome” )
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 8:12AM, July 7, 2007
(offline)
Cthulhu
DancingChaos
No.

Why does everyone keep stealing my line…

Because I'm special.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
TheMidge28 at 2:06PM, July 7, 2007
(online)
just a thought…
by definition alone mythical creatures or creatures of myth are not real.
like a unicorn…
this would be considered a “mythical creature” and hence, not real.
If someone experienced, for instance, a “unicorn”, would it be safe to say then the creature would no longer be considered mythical but actual?
Or a better way to ask the question may be…
“Have any of you experienced something that based on all past experiences and knowledge you have had up to that point you can't explain?”

To that question I answer “yes”.

Also my belief or lack there of in “unicorns” does not negate or validate there existence. :) :) :) :) :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
RDraconis at 7:01PM, July 7, 2007
(online)
I think that there's something closely resembling our mythical creatures on other planets somewhere, but not on earth. Not that I'm saying it's impossible or anything. ^^

I dunno, I really like mythology and stuff- whether it's real or not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
Ozoneocean at 7:31PM, July 7, 2007
(online)
Use of the word “myth” doesn't define something's reality or lack thereof, it's just a word used by people for various reasons. ;)

And as I've said, “unicorns”, “dragons” etc were real, in that this is how our ancestors defined unusual creatures that they didn't have much experience with. The whole “myth” idea and the fairy stories that surrounded them came later. Reality and history are more complicated than you'd think…

Do some reading on Dragons and unicorns, it's quite interesting to see how these ideas developed.

Werewolves as we know them now were never even mythical. Those come straight from 20thC Hollywood: the limits of the technology at the time meant that “wolf men” were the best they could do for the moves, so that's how those things came about. Werewolves in stores were humans who fully transformed, or wolves who fully became human. Other animals could do it as well, from rabbits to tigers…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
monsterfriend at 8:49PM, July 7, 2007
(online)
i believe it we have creatures in louisianna called dalupe garoo cajun werewolf i've see it many a night it scares the hell out of me cajuns are told to throw rice at the front and back door to keep them from entering because they have to count every grain why i may never know but they do so that keeps them busy until sunrise when they must flee for the sun hurts them
Zoey: i need some chinese lets go to the nail salon

Holly: Uh Zoey they'll kind of freak if a zombie starts eating the nail
lady

Zoey: Fine lets get mexican they deliver with miracle grow
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:26AM, July 8, 2007
(online)
There is actually a good possibility that Chupacabra is real, just not in the way we immagine it (as a giant lizard). An animal called the Elmendorf Beast was recently discovered. It resembles a hairless canine and was responsible for the deaths of various livestock… hmm… sound familiar? It's easy to see how a hairless dog-like creature may resemble a lizard if you were to see one in the dark.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
TheMidge28 at 7:56AM, July 8, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Use of the word “myth” doesn't define something's reality or lack thereof, it's just a word used by people for various reasons. ;)

And as I've said, “unicorns”, “dragons” etc were real, in that this is how our ancestors defined unusual creatures that they didn't have much experience with. The whole “myth” idea and the fairy stories that surrounded them came later. Reality and history are more complicated than you'd think…

Do some reading on Dragons and unicorns, it's quite interesting to see how these ideas developed.

taken from Dictionary.com:
myth
noun
1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

a myth by definition is unproved or false.
if a myth proved true it would no longer be a myth but actual occurance.

I concur that interpretation has a lot to do with explanation of occurances throughout history, and the language and the collective experience at the time was not able to express what had happened well enough…or they did.
That's the funny thing about history…
each new generation reinterprets it through the paradigm of the present time.
revisionist to some extent.

Also the recommendation on do some reading…
You might want to tone that down a bit.
it comes across as though your saying I am ignorant or unread.;)
MagickLorelai at 1:21PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Do I believe in Mythological creatures? Absolutely. In THIS world? Not at all. :) Where do I think they are? Somewhere we aren't actively. :3 I'll leave it at that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Red Slayer at 2:29PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Werewolves as we know them now were never even mythical. Those come straight from 20thC Hollywood: the limits of the technology at the time meant that “wolf men” were the best they could do for the moves, so that's how those things came about. Werewolves in stores were humans who fully transformed, or wolves who fully became human. Other animals could do it as well, from rabbits to tigers…
Actually, werewolves have an origin in greek mythology, when Zeus transformed king Lycos into a man-wolf for killing his son Arcas.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
kennatsu at 2:54PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
I don't suppose anyone believes in the “Flying Spaghetti Monster”… right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
marine at 3:02PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
TheMidge28 at 4:33PM, July 9, 2007
(online)
huh?
marine at 7:02PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
Its a meme. For some reason it links to penis instead of the top drawer, I'll fix it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon