Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Internet forums- Kingdoms of the Jerks?
charlie_everyone at 4:41PM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
I read about 2/3 of what was posted here so sorry if I'm repeating someone.

Most people like to be mean. It's a stress release. Most people are not mean because they have morals or fear reprisal. People like to feel better than others. People like to feel included, they like to be part of something bigger. A group or establishment if you will.

How is it a big surprise that if you give someone moral immunity (anonymity) that they will not start a massive jocks vs. nerds scenario. Everyone wants to be the jock (this is a figurative statement, I am well aware that some enjoy “nerdish” behavior). This is human nature and if you don't like it get off the internet or stop complaining. It's not going to change.

Furthermore why would you want it to? I rather enjoy forums that have a high intelligence or humor bar. If someone comes in and says something really stupid chances are I (and most of the people on the forum) will not like them and will want them to go away. Don't post on forums for a group you don't belong to. Flaming is inevitable.

I'm really sorry that random people on the internets don't like you Harko. I like you. I think you are a nifty fellow. Just never, ever complain about this again or I'm revoking your interwebs street cred. Man up.

Best wishes XOXO,
Charlie
The Scarlet Robe

Read it.

Like right now.

NSFW

You do it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
patrickdevine at 7:17PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
Huh. The only forums that I'm even sort of active on is this one, so maybe I'm not such a great guy to ask. Though one thing that I find sort of odd is that I've only had the classic forums experience, (people telling me to do my damn research, really stupid arguments, flaming etc.) is in real life. There was a friend of a friend that said I shouldn't bother talking to him because I don't understand how to construct a logical argument. There was another guy that said I should do my research before trying to talk about anything I don't understand, (by research he seemed to mean “read one related article on Slashdot.” )
Maybe I just know more jerks in real life than I do on the internet. This could also be why I don't talk very much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ParkerFarker at 7:22PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
yeah, in DD, I try my hardest to be real. I want to be respected because of my comic, but also there isn't tens of thousands of different posters on these forums. I have only been on DD for a few months, and when I come onto the forums and see someone I have not seen before, I notice it. There is more of community on DD than on other forums. I think that's why Drunk Duck is so much better than other forums.
I was once a regular poster on the… *sigh*… the Halo 3 forums. It was not as friendly because there were millions of posters and I felt more anonymous and free to be a jerk. I tried not to be and I think I succeeded, but other people didn't try.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
subcultured at 7:44PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
lol
halo…

if the online gaming is an example of the kinda of people that post in that forum.

*shudders*
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Salsa at 8:11AM, July 1, 2009
(offline)
I think that a lot of times it depends on how close the community is and how open those people are. A community like Drunk duck, at least I think, is fairly close knit, we have a common interest and if your active, people are going to check out your stuff. Sci-fi meshes seems to be the same way. (there's a link in my sig to my WIP thread there) In larger communities, like DeviantArt and CG society, there are literally millions of people on. It is really hard to get feedback from people and it is far more clique-ish, especially on deviantart. I hate to admit it but there have been times I have flamed a person or trolled them. I have matured some since then and I have tried to be more like I am in RL.

As for the thread tthat started this thread, I can't make a call on it because I can't load the page. ehh.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Bocaj at 6:54AM, July 2, 2009
(online)
subcultured
lol
TD
loooool

And although it has been mentioned, I give a lot of credit to the admins and mods here, for keeping it so friendly. Also, every regular poster. We all seem to be nice, but have a sense of humor about ourselves, so we avoid getting too serious and then having angry-drama.

(Ignore all "I-don't-like-the-new-DD-layout threads from awhile back >_>)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Sea_Cow at 9:31AM, July 2, 2009
(offline)
Turns out, I have PTDSD from my horrific online experiences. Thanks a lot, internet.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
subcultured at 12:06PM, July 2, 2009
(online)
we still have access to TD and sometimes I find myself lost in those threads for some reason.

the insanity.
*rubs his eyes out*

that was a cliquish time of DD.
J
therealtj at 6:17PM, July 2, 2009
(online)
I honestly have to say Hark, I don't think these guys seem like jerks (at least not in that thread). Your first post seemed to come off as “I read the forum description, and from the looks of it, this forum is for making fun of comics. I think this makes you terrible people.” I'm not saying this was your intention, but that it is how I saw it.

Someone
Spoony if I choose not to notice it, it is not true and does not exist.
That is called the scientific method, look it up.

In all honesty, this seems like your just trying to be rude, by saying “I'm the most important person, what you have to say is unimportant.”

Someone
Lurk around a bit so questions like this wont be neccesary?
That seems a little impractical.
Look at my options.

I could read through reams and reams of unrelated pages, most of whcih are refering to things I, as of yet know noting about. Time taken= lots.

Or I could just ask someone, like you,and get an answer immediately. Time take= less.

This post is kind of like saying “My time is too important to waste reading several threads, unlike your time, as you have nothing better to do than type out the purpose of this forum.”

I'm not trying to seem rude myself, but in all honesty, this is how your posts seemed :/

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:27PM
Orin J Master at 9:52PM, July 2, 2009
(online)
harkovast
Have you ever noticed how incredibly hostile most internet forums are?

yes. that's what happens when people are deprived of consequences for their behaveour. the turn into spoiled five-year olds. all of them.

oh, and it's “identities”, “innate”, “inherent”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
subcultured at 11:36PM, July 2, 2009
(online)
it's sociologically fascinating…
-what if there was no laws or anyway to enforce the social contract?
-what if people are able to survive without the help of other, do we stop being a society?
-if we have all our needs met by other things such as technology and we don't need to trade our services as goods (jobs) how would humans interact with each other?

hypothetically it could mean the end of trying to live. must be why governments that is run by trying to make everyone equal without the benefits of a higher status don't produce much fresh ideas.

ideally if everyone gets the same piece of bread no matter how much you work, people will just work enough just enough to keep their job.

J
marine at 7:17AM, July 3, 2009
(offline)
I agree.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
subcultured at 7:28AM, July 3, 2009
(online)
heeeeey i know you
J
TheMidge28 at 7:53AM, July 3, 2009
(online)
subcultured
it's sociologically fascinating…
-what if there was no laws or anyway to enforce the social contract?
-what if people are able to survive without the help of other, do we stop being a society?
-if we have all our needs met by other things such as technology and we don't need to trade our services as goods (jobs) how would humans interact with each other?

hypothetically it could mean the end of trying to live. must be why governments that is run by trying to make everyone equal without the benefits of a higher status don't produce much fresh ideas.

ideally if everyone gets the same piece of bread no matter how much you work, people will just work enough just enough to keep their job.

were you meaning to post this in another thread?
you're post is too deep and meaningful for a thread about mean people on the internet.

and cliques are only seen as cliques by those not in them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
harkovast at 6:13PM, July 3, 2009
(online)
Therealtj I find it really odd that you would take my comment that way.
My initial remark was me asking if they were just chewing over which comics they hated because I was very keen to join in a discussion along those lines(I've got a few axes to grind!)
I was not accusing them, I was just making sure I understood the conversation before I leapt in with full venom on the ones I hate!
If I was insulting people who complain about web comics they dont like, I was insulting myself, which is just getting confusing.
I actually mocked drunk duck (saying everyone just says they love everything even if it is crap) as well as mocking the idea of insulting people, so if they read it as an attack on them they over looked at least half of what I was saying.
Perhaps they were feeling self concious about the fact a large part of their forum WAS for bitching about web comics?

The scientific method quote was intended as a joke, since what I described was not the scientific method, it was just nonsense. If they thought that quote was serious they would need to have no sense of humour or have an IQ so low I dont see how they could turn their computers on successfully.

When I said I didn't want to waste time lurking around, I was responding to what was a fairly harsh response along the lines of “dont waste our precious time making us answer questions!”, and once again, it was intended as silly rather then antagonistic.

Do I have to go to new forums with a cap in hand, bow down and kiss their feet?
Is having no sense of humour and incredibly thin skin a requirement for posting on that forum?

I actually got a pq from another moderator of that thread, apologising for the fact everyone was being an arrogant asshole (his words) so I feel fairly vindicated.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:43PM
skoolmunkee at 6:46PM, July 3, 2009
(offline)
It's pretty easy for humor to go awry ont he internet, especially false egotism, because some people opt not to see the ‘false’ part :]
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Salsa at 7:49PM, July 3, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee
It's pretty easy for humor to go awry ont he internet, especially false egotism, because some people opt not to see the ‘false’ part :]
Yeah, I have to remind myself that Hark acts like a nut must of the time.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
harkovast at 4:49AM, July 4, 2009
(online)
Yeah, I think I offend Salsa with 60% of what I say (sometimes I even do it on accident!)
It's amazing how well me and him get on when you think about it!

Niccea at 11:11AM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
Well I have been on a site were the moderators and Admins were like gods. (That is the best comparison). They never posted except for special events and to even have one respond to you was considered a big deal.

That is why I like DD a lot. We all know that Skool and Ozone are no better than us and we won't be banned for thinking so. Well I guess they are better cause they have special admin powers…but they enjoy the site too and have comics and interact.

As to members, I have found DD very welcoming and easy to fit into.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Sea_Cow at 1:56PM, July 4, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee

That character flaw is what lets trolls find the easiest prey.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Skullbie at 2:57PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Well I have been on a site were the moderators and Admins were like gods. (That is the best comparison). They never posted except for special events and to even have one respond to you was considered a big deal.

You mean gaia?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
bravo1102 at 11:15AM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Harkovast
I actually mocked drunk duck (saying everyone just says they love everything even if it is crap)

But everyone here does say they love everything even if it is crap. Especially if it is crap. ;)

No matter how innocent and noble we all think we are, we are all at fault and have been cruel and nasty and taken something the wrong way at some time, some where on the internet. We're all human and without visual and auditory clues trying to figure out what someone is saying is difficult.

But then I've always wanted to be obnoxious and disliked. What can I say? I identify with John Adams. Good grief imagine if the internet was around and he posted. It only would have speeded up his contentious correspondence. What is old is new again. It just takes less time now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ParkerFarker at 4:04PM, July 6, 2009
(online)
yeah, I sort of agree with TJ. Your first post sounded like you were saying “Is this forum created just so people can be assholes to people with comics you don't like? wow you are all jackasses.” Even if you didn't mean it that way, I can see how people can misread it.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
harkovast at 7:10AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
Bravo, if it would help….I could make a really good try of hating you.

ParkerFarker-Well its turns out they all were assholes (the opinion of one of their own moderators their)…so I guess it is lucky it can be read that way.
I dont see why asking people if their forum is so you can lay into other comics (when a part of the forum IS for that purpose) is an insult. I think if that got them offended, they must have been feeling some latent guilt about complaining about other web comics and didn't like to have their own cruelty pointed out.
Me personally? I think complaining about things you hate is awesome!
I just wrote entire article on my forum about why I hate The Golden Compass!
good times!

ParkerFarker at 7:20AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
yeah, I agree with you Hark, but you first post could seem like you were insulting them.

and the book Golden Compass wasn't that bad.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
waff at 10:56AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
ParkerFarker
yeah, I agree with you Hark, but you first post could seem like you were insulting them.

s'alright but I didn't get into the other books in the series.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
ParkerFarker at 11:02AM, July 9, 2009
(online)
waff
ParkerFarker

s'alright but I didn't get into the other books in the series.

yeah I haven't read the other two.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
subcultured at 12:39PM, July 9, 2009
(online)
i think this thread has run its course
J

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon