Civil War fighting game?
Glarg at 4:59PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
God Dammit.
last edited on July 18, 2011 10:30AM
MrRiot_Zac at 8:40PM, Dec. 7, 2007
(offline)
What if we used Mugen?
Drunk Duck Civil War: WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

Visit the Forum" Forum Visit the comic: Civil War
Argent_Nightmare at 2:28PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
We should.
I actually have Mugen, and Fighter Factory… I just can't find any tutorials and things that don't start from the middle of the learning process, so I've no idea how to begin using either.
Rutger
My nipples are an ocean of pain.
AQua_ng
When it comes to prostitution, the price is…um, Bob Barker.
MrRiot at 5:03PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
TO THE INTERNET!

I'm not going to rest until I can smack Zac around in digital form.

Visit my comic: THE PATH: Lovecraftian Horror meets Arthurian Legend
Visit my website: Old Dying Kitty
Proud Co-Founder/Member of Mediocre Militia
Argent_Nightmare at 8:16PM, Dec. 8, 2007
(offline)
MrRiot
TO THE INTERNET!

I'm not going to rest until I can smack Zac around in digital form.

Oooh… If we're doing this in the style of a group project, I'd love to come up with moves and things. I love that sort of stuff.
But, yeah, if anyone can find me reference material I can understand, I'll absolutely do it, since I've not started an event comic yet.
Rutger
AQua_ng
Adariel at 5:43PM, Dec. 12, 2007
(offline)

I have this simple memory game ive made for my beginner's game devt class. I used 8 ddcw random characters for the tiles. Its on visual studio exe format though, i dunno how or where to upload it. DD doesnt allow uploading of exe files :(
Hero at 10:52AM, Jan. 25, 2008
(online)
Ok, now I might actually end up doing this so hang tight. If I were to make a Team Riot Game where the Zacettes are bosses, beat ‘em up style save some variations in gameplay for characters who might not be compatable, what characters do you want to see in it. And don’t just say yourselves because I'm thinking about this from a practical standpoint i.e. the more extravagant the powers, the harder it is for me to do. So far I'm using the core attack teams as the basis of who I should include for starters, y'know:

Riot
Acadia
Bite Girl
Glarg
Greenbot

Zac
Blitzman
Freux
Persephone
Blackvolt

The whole disposable villians are gonna be P-Patrols, Frank Allens and the Cape Crusher patrollers of course.

Like I said, I was thinking a couple more levels ya know and wanted to know who the public wants me to include.
K.A.L.A-Dan: Rival!
Argent_Nightmare at 12:26AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
Hero
Ok, now I might actually end up doing this so hang tight. If I were to make a Team Riot Game where the Zacettes are bosses, beat ‘em up style save some variations in gameplay for characters who might not be compatable, what characters do you want to see in it. And don’t just say yourselves because I'm thinking about this from a practical standpoint i.e. the more extravagant the powers, the harder it is for me to do. So far I'm using the core attack teams as the basis of who I should include for starters, y'know:

Riot
Acadia
Bite Girl
Glarg
Greenbot

Zac
Blitzman
Freux
Persephone
Blackvolt

The whole disposable villians are gonna be P-Patrols, Frank Allens and the Cape Crusher patrollers of course.

Like I said, I was thinking a couple more levels ya know and wanted to know who the public wants me to include.

Some of the lesser-known members of each team should be important characters. I've noticed lately that the CW is a two-tier system, with the “high” people being important, and the “low” people being padding, screen-fill or totally ignored.
Rutger
AQua_ng
machiavelli33 at 5:08AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
I don't actually know what you have planned for all of this, i.e. how you plan to go about developing or coding or anything this, so there might be a few assumptions made with what I'm about to say.

Something like this may be easier if you choose some base archetypes for the characters that you can have variations within so that you won't have to individually code upwards of three or four characters.

Below are just a few examples of who might be able to fit into some archetype categories. You're coding this so it'd be of course up to you to decide who goes where, or whether to use this archetyping stuff at all.

Balanced/Brawler:
Riot, Bite Girl, JiminyCricket, The J
Note: A LOT of Civil War's heroes can actually fit into the above category, one thing you could probably do is create a base moveset and either tweak it to each hero, or just change up the models and animations for each one. Needless to say, if all goes well it'll be the content and not the coding that might end up being the brunt of the work.

Tank-ish:
Greenbot, Grumbleduke, Berzerker, Karen the Maralith

Fast F**ker:
Evil Snuffkin, Adagio, Acadia, BlackKitty

Offensive Magic-type/Blaster:
The Chemist, Arctic Wolf, Black Emerald
Note: see note for Balanced/Brawlers

Defensive Magic-type/Support/Summoner:
OutofLine, Ocka, Hero, ArgentNightmare
Sparkimus Prime….ENTER THE FRAY.

I'M WITH RIOT
Hero at 8:20AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(online)
Argent_Nightmare
Some of the lesser-known members of each team should be important characters. I've noticed lately that the CW is a two-tier system, with the “high” people being important, and the “low” people being padding, screen-fill or totally ignored.

You have some people in mind specifically?

machiavelli33
A lot of stuff about archetypes that I totally read but am not keen to repost.

That's kinda how I'm doing this. There will be different level types like a straight up beat ‘em up, a shooter or a speed level with exchangeable sprites. Actually like that I might be able to allow for a choice of characters. I don’t want to get too far into magic type-stuff. As far as I'm able to program it's just like shooting or throwing something unless I combine it with the shooter style level… yeah, if it was like a top down thing, that might work.

Oh, and seeing as how I'm making this, I'm not going to be playable ‘cept maybe in a tutorial or something. I’m figuring I'm going to be the heads up display and option screen in this game.
machiavelli33 at 12:25PM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
Oh, nice, that's a damn fine idea.

I'M WITH RIOT
Argent_Nightmare at 5:37PM, Jan. 28, 2008
(offline)
Hero
Argent_Nightmare

You have some people in mind specifically?

machiavelli33
A lot of stuff about archetypes that I totally read but am not keen to repost.

That's kinda how I'm doing this. There will be different level types like a straight up beat ‘em up, a shooter or a speed level with exchangeable sprites. Actually like that I might be able to allow for a choice of characters. I don’t want to get too far into magic type-stuff. As far as I'm able to program it's just like shooting or throwing something unless I combine it with the shooter style level… yeah, if it was like a top down thing, that might work.

Oh, and seeing as how I'm making this, I'm not going to be playable ‘cept maybe in a tutorial or something. I’m figuring I'm going to be the heads up display and option screen in this game.

I don't have any specifics in mind, but just some general flipping through these here forums should turn up a few. It'd be a good idea to immediately check the neutrals and such.

Also, a Hero Updater Display is absolutely for the win. :D

As for the archtypes, I'd think rather than that, one would go for a three-attribute system: Strong types, Fast types, and Blaster/Spell types, and just organize them into a triangle-chart… some people fall under 1, 2, or a “balance” which would be riiight in the middle. I think it'd be better that way because it would make characters like Arctic Wolf, who are both fast melee attackers AND heavy-hitting spellcasters… it wouldn't limit their moves too much to the one archtype.

Anyways, I'm working on a college portfolio lately, so I really don't have too much time to search for MUGEN stuff… as well as generally not being able to find anything myself… so, uh, someone hit Google for me, and I will maek you'sa character be importantz. :D
Rutger
AQua_ng
Hero at 7:44AM, Jan. 29, 2008
(online)
Argent_Nightmare
I don't have any specifics in mind, but just some general flipping through these here forums should turn up a few. It'd be a good idea to immediately check the neutrals and such.

As for the archtypes, I'd think rather than that, one would go for a three-attribute system: Strong types, Fast types, and Blaster/Spell types, and just organize them into a triangle-chart… some people fall under 1, 2, or a “balance” which would be riiight in the middle. I think it'd be better that way because it would make characters like Arctic Wolf, who are both fast melee attackers AND heavy-hitting spellcasters… it wouldn't limit their moves too much to the one archtype.

Anyways, I'm working on a college portfolio lately, so I really don't have too much time to search for MUGEN stuff… as well as generally not being able to find anything myself… so, uh, someone hit Google for me, and I will maek you'sa character be importantz. :D

Actually with the program I'm using, making combination character types may be beyond the scope of my abilities and the gameplay for each character type may be radically different. I have found out my brother has Mugen, but I don't know anything about that and am working with a program I'm infinitely more familiar with to create styles of gameplay I've created before.

And, I did set out to make a specific Team Riot game because I'm trying to narrow down the characters I need to use because if you're not making a fighting game, representing equally all the character teams while making a short game is not exactly a walk in the park, and making it about one team ensure a clear cut badguy. Now if you're talking about Neutrals being part of the plot, that's fine, but in gameplay I'm really just trying to do like 12-15 character from team Riot.
Argent_Nightmare at 7:21PM, Jan. 30, 2008
(offline)
Hero
Argent_Nightmare

Actually with the program I'm using, making combination character types may be beyond the scope of my abilities and the gameplay for each character type may be radically different. I have found out my brother has Mugen, but I don't know anything about that and am working with a program I'm infinitely more familiar with to create styles of gameplay I've created before.

And, I did set out to make a specific Team Riot game because I'm trying to narrow down the characters I need to use because if you're not making a fighting game, representing equally all the character teams while making a short game is not exactly a walk in the park, and making it about one team ensure a clear cut badguy. Now if you're talking about Neutrals being part of the plot, that's fine, but in gameplay I'm really just trying to do like 12-15 character from team Riot.

Uh… I didn't illustrate this well, but the former and latter parts of that post were meant to be considered seperately. My apologies. I've been tired lately.
Rutger
AQua_ng
zactheninja at 1:08PM, Feb. 1, 2008
(online)
I can't wait to see more of this.

Hero, finish this game.

GIVE us a beta. :D :D
machiavelli33 at 11:41PM, Feb. 1, 2008
(offline)
Oh another thought, probably an obvious one…probably.
Anyways, if you're hurting for people to help you do the content, I'm positive there's those amongst the ranks of the Civil War and otherwise who'll be more than glad to help pitch in on content delivery. That way you're not doing all the heavy lifting yourself (unless you want to, but that's neither here nor there).
I'd help you myself but I'm kinda stretched thin as it is right now.

I'M WITH RIOT
Argent_Nightmare at 12:48AM, Feb. 3, 2008
(offline)
machiavelli33
Anyways, if you're hurting for people to help you do the content, I'm positive there's those amongst the ranks of the Civil War and otherwise who'll be more than glad to help pitch in on content delivery. That way you're not doing all the heavy lifting yourself (unless you want to, but that's neither here nor there).

Well, it's not that so much as that… well… I don't know the program, it's inherently complex, and I'm learning nothing from any material I can find on it. They don't have any “basic” guides… anywhere… at least that I can find.
Rutger
AQua_ng
Red Slayer at 5:50PM, Feb. 3, 2008
(online)
I wish i could help, but i don't know jack about programing.

To those still interested in using Mugen, i found a site with tutorials and resources available.

give me a ring if you are interested.
Argent_Nightmare at 7:49PM, Feb. 3, 2008
(offline)
Red Slayer

To those still interested in using Mugen, i found a site with tutorials and resources available.

I'm yer guy, man. Hook me up if you've got something… here or a PQ… whatever suits you.
Anyways, once I learn a bit about the program, I'm going to see if I can't get a team together to help with the stuff I can't do myself, like music, stage designs, ect… so if anyone wants in, let me know, and we can find a job for you. <3
Rutger
AQua_ng
Red Slayer at 9:20PM, Feb. 3, 2008
(online)
Argent_Nightmare
Red Slayer

I'm yer guy, man. Hook me up if you've got something… here or a PQ… whatever suits you.
Anyways, once I learn a bit about the program, I'm going to see if I can't get a team together to help with the stuff I can't do myself, like music, stage designs, ect… so if anyone wants in, let me know, and we can find a job for you. <3

You will need:
An artist, to draw and design backgrounds.
And for drawing the characters and the moves.

A spriter that knows about animating, for obvious reasons.

A musician, production value =D.

A programmer or a monkey.

At least from what i can gather.

Argent_Nightmare at 3:00PM, Feb. 4, 2008
(offline)
Red Slayer
Argent_Nightmare
Red Slayer

You will need:
An artist, to draw and design backgrounds.
And for drawing the characters and the moves.

A spriter that knows about animating, for obvious reasons.

A musician, production value =D.

A programmer or a monkey.

At least from what i can gather.

I can do character art and the move designs, as well as the behind-the-scenes stuff. I won't need a programmer if I use a utility like Fighter Factory, either. It basically comes down to the production-value frills, as ya said: Music, level design, and so on.
Rutger
AQua_ng
Hero at 1:28PM, Feb. 7, 2008
(online)
machiavelli33

I could definitely use a spot of help when it comes to drawing backgrounds. I suck both digitally and on paper in that respect and I could always use things like title and cut scene art. And the whole music thing. Ooh, and I'd love to get my hands on some nice, unlicensed music to use, preferably in midi form so that every level isn't filled with Mambo #5 or the theme from Beverly Hills Cop.
Red Slayer at 12:58PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Hero
Mambo #5 or the theme from Beverly Hills Cop.
Actually, that would be pretty cool.

I would suggest trying different genres of music or taking a look at some games to see what works best.
machiavelli33 at 1:31PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Hero
machiavelli33

I could definitely use a spot of help when it comes to drawing backgrounds. I suck both digitally and on paper in that respect and I could always use things like title and cut scene art. And the whole music thing. Ooh, and I'd love to get my hands on some nice, unlicensed music to use, preferably in midi form so that every level isn't filled with Mambo #5 or the theme from Beverly Hills Cop.

Are you planning on making a profit from this? If not you can put it down to a student/art project and that'll give you a little more leeway at least on the music you can use.

Anyways, what kind of backgrounds/content assistance are you looking for? Best way to get volunteers is to just put it out there.

I'M WITH RIOT
Hero at 2:49PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Not trying to make a profit, I just have problems finding decent music in midi form that isn't goofy or annoying although the two I mention are ones that I actually like, but can drive a man insane when heard repeatedly on a loop. Eh, maybe it is a problem of genre.

For backgrounds, well for the beat ‘em up levels I’m thinking like city streets, a warehouse, rooftops… just urban locales. Maybe backgrounds panels of a city that can repeat over to the next, but a couple of them for each stage so it doesn't look too Tom and Jerry with a separately drawn street. Maybe some like barrels and crates and objects like that you see in beat-em-ups.

For the blaster/shooter levels I'd do best to have a top down view of the same kind of areas.

For the speed level I just need basically two panels of a street facing forward as if you're running down it. Maybe a couple of cars and other vehicles from a front or back view.
Red Slayer at 9:02PM, Feb. 25, 2008
(online)
There is a little software called guitar pro…
Hero at 10:18AM, March 25, 2008
(online)

I'm devoting this week to working on my game! I ended up simplifying it's cast to just a flyer, a bruiser and a blaster; namely, Psycho, Mr. Riot and D.Rose once I get permission from them all to use their likeness. Myself too of course, though as previously stated, I'm not playable in game, just on the tutorials and on the Heads Up Display. I am getting somewhere though. I've got a programmer and as soon as I get done making something for the characters to fight, you'll get a little game demo. Heck, if the entire thing goes south, you'll at least get a nice little sprite movie.
machiavelli33 at 1:44AM, April 4, 2008
(offline)
Fantastic!

I'M WITH RIOT
Carbajal3000 at 2:31PM, April 6, 2008
(offline)
Hero

I'm devoting this week to working on my game! I ended up simplifying it's cast to just a flyer, a bruiser and a blaster; namely, Psycho, Mr. Riot and D.Rose once I get permission from them all to use their likeness. Myself too of course, though as previously stated, I'm not playable in game, just on the tutorials and on the Heads Up Display. I am getting somewhere though. I've got a programmer and as soon as I get done making something for the characters to fight, you'll get a little game demo. Heck, if the entire thing goes south, you'll at least get a nice little sprite movie.

Holy Cow man you used MY character in it?! I didn't see that coming, I was just scrolling trough the forums and I saw this, you Hero are awesome!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon