Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Avengers Endgame talk (spoilers)
Banes at 10:51AM, May 7, 2019
(offline)
It was big, and somewhat of an ending for the Marvel Cinematic Universe - and we ARE a comics site after all. So i thought I'd open a thread to talk about the MCU in general and Endgame.

I enjoyed the movie, though I can understand that people have their beefs with it (I have a few, too).

I guess it's the Hulk I was the least satisfied with. He's probably my favorite Marvel character, and he's seemed to take a backseat in the more recent movies. A bit of a clown in Ragnorok, then nerfed in Infinity War, losing to Thanos way too quickly and then disappearing into Banner's subconscious and refusing to come out.

(FULL ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW)

Then in Endgame, there was a fully integrated Hulk/Banner. I liked that! He'd been “Professor Hulk” in the comics, but this guy was more of a combination, kind of like Peter David wrote him in his comic run. He's Banner as far as intelligence, but more confident, glib, and maybe a bit arrogant.

He's Hulk as far as green-ness and super strength, but is quite a bit smaller and…maybe weaker? We're not sure, because he doesn't do much physically. He played an important plot function in the end, but it was a let down to not see him fighting in the final battle (I guess because of the injury after doing the ‘snap’).

Nothing was said about the relationship with Natasha - it seemed to not come to anything. I had a theory based on what the characters were acting like, but there wasn't even one line about what happened. I can go into my theory if anyone wants to discuss it…I mostly had this Hulk disappointment in my head so wanted to spew it out here.

Edit: He also didn't get a real rematch with Thanos, which was disappointing.

Any reactions, Hulk-related or not, to the Endgame? Whadja think?

last edited on May 7, 2019 10:59AM
Froggtreecomics at 4:59AM, May 8, 2019
(offline)
Sooooo…. Tony Stark is just as bad as Thanos? Was that the message when he snapped his fingers at the end and killed all those soldiers?
Banes at 7:13AM, May 8, 2019
(offline)
Hmm. Yeah, I wonder if the rest of the franchise will begin with an angry universe seeking revenge on the Avengers for messing things up.

Froggtreecomics at 7:17AM, May 8, 2019
(offline)
I think he'll get away with it, a swell of heroic orchestral music let's the bloke with his face on the poster get away with murderin'.
Genejoke at 10:37AM, May 10, 2019
(online)
It seems they are establishing a multiverse which I guess allows for tampering with the time line and all that jazz.
The only things hulk managed to do in that movie were provide laughs and fail. They didn't do much for hulk which was a disappointment. The girl power moment was too on the nose. If they had halved the amount of female characters and did it, I think it would have worked as intended. The problem is by having every single female hero in the MCU appear in that moment made it seem forced and took you out of the moment. In all honesty all I got out of that moment was a cringe and marvel saying “look at us being all progressive, aren't we amazing for giving women a brief empowering moment.” Wonder woman did it better. Hell captain marvel (the film, obviously) did it better. I've seen a lot of people say similar online and naturally if the person saying it is male, they've received abuse for it, sigh! I'm all for strong female characters and hell yeah moments, I'm all for combining them, but do it well dagnammit!
I liked how we got to see Black widow do the typical man thing and make the ultimate sacrifice. That to me was far more poignant and made more of a statement than the other bit.
Banes at 1:48PM, May 10, 2019
(offline)
Yeah, Black Widow had a powerful send off, though I hated to see the character go. Her relationship with Hulk didn't get a payoff either, after it existed throughout multiple films. Not thrilled with that.

In fact, most things Hulk-related were a bit disappointing and lead me to think the directors don't like the character. It wasn't nearly to Luke Skywalker levels but the clues are there. Joss Whedon of Avengers 1 & 2 was obviously a Hulk fan. But the big guy has never been treated that well by the Russos.

I'm mostly a fan of what they've done in the MCU other than that.

BustyLaroo at 8:00AM, May 13, 2019
(offline)
I got to see it a few weeks ago :O I really enjoyed it, honestly. I liked how they brought the focus back in on the original 6, particularly the 3 with trilogies of their own. I found it to be rather fitting, personally.

I frickin LOVED that end battle OH. Em. GEE.
Banes at 5:52PM, May 13, 2019
(offline)
I loved seeing the original 6 back into focus, too - it’s what I was hoping for! I liked the movie and I’m gonna see it again.

The final battle was huge! I was very happy with most of that, and I liked that they waited until that point to bring everyone back. Excellent choice on that.

Other choices, sad as they were, were good too - not bringing back Vision. Or Loki or Gamora (I mean, we got to see Loki and Gamora, but they weren’t the ‘real’ them. That really helped it feel like there was real loss and stakes to this thing.

BustyLaroo at 3:34PM, May 16, 2019
(offline)
Definitely! And maybe I said this already, but… I really like the way they ended Captain America's story. It was so sweet. T-T
Abt_Nihil at 2:47AM, May 28, 2019
(offline)
skreem wrote:
Sooooo…. Tony Stark is just as bad as Thanos? Was that the message when he snapped his fingers at the end and killed all those soldiers?
Evil minion genocide is treated as morally justified by default.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon