Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Americans?????
cartoonprofessor at 9:27PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
Perhaps some kind american reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are american?

I often work in Hastings st in Noosa (the best beach and national park in the world for those that don't know it) and you can hear americans from many miles away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
subcultured at 9:38PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
we have gone deaf from the air trip (pressure changes) and are shouting because we don't know we are shouting.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Ozoneocean at 9:41PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
They're excited to be there? :)

Us Aussies can make fools of ourselves too :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
SarahN at 9:42PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
cartoonprofessor
Perhaps some kind american reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite
…..no comment.

cartoonprofessor
but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are american?
I have never heard of that happening before…are they really trying to shove their accents down your throat or are they just generally obnoxious people? If they are in fact, trying to show off that they're American, then apparently they think they're impressing someone…..for some reason, and are quite pompous. Whatever reason, I'd say they are still probably just obnoxious people.

Or maybe it sounds like they're shouting but aren't, I don't know what we sound like to people from other countries. I never understand what people with British accents are saying half the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
liz at 9:42PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(offline)
To you it may be weird hearing Americans shout their accents, but in America it would be considered perfectly normal here, I suppose.

I assure you, not all Americans are obnoxious, only the ones that are rich enough to travel. lol!

Updates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! =D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
usedbooks at 9:43PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
The quiet Americans can't afford international trips.

Edit: Liz beat me to it. lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Nergal at 10:16PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? SHOUTING? WE NEVER SHOUT.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:11PM
subcultured at 10:25PM, Dec. 2, 2007
(online)
we hate everyone and will bust a cap in your ass. yeeaaa boiiiiii
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Steely Gaze at 3:37AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Tourists. ‘Nuff said. American, British, French, German, it doesn’t matter where you're from it only matters what you're doing. And if you're visiting a country on vacation, then you're going to miraculously turn into the world's most obnoxious person. Trust me on this; I've yet to see a quiet tourist.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
marine at 4:20AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
As an American, I will be honest and tell you that I yell everywhere I go. I often assume most every character in my comics are yelling at each other. We're just so angry here.

I also support American culture!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
dueeast at 7:12AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Marine, that was just…scary.

Thanks. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
kingofsnake at 7:37AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
There are plenty of nice quiet polite americans visiting other countries. You just don't notice them, because they're not making assholes out of themselves.

You can't help but notice the loud obnoxious americans.

Also when in countries that speak another language theres something in our brains that makes us think if we talk slower in more loudly then they'll be able to understand english. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but I've fallen victem to it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
marine at 7:48AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
dueeast
Marine, that was just…scary.

Thanks. :)

It was a parody of my post in the Australian thread. Even going so far as to post something that isn't American, but stupid people say its American. I think the most hilarious one is either Paris Hilton crying or the Chris Benoit holding up a championship belt. I just typed in “emo music group” and found that band. I have no clue who those guys even are. And who doesn't love the death of superman?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
shaneronzio at 8:17AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
When you drink, the first thing that goes is the hearing.
Or it is the Mad Cow from tainted McDonalds Beef.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
spacehamster at 8:21AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
I guess they've just finally figured out that everyone here in Europe is deaf. It's probably best if we stop pretending otherwise now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Custard Trout at 8:34AM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Actually, I've met a quite a few tourists who weren't loud and/or obnoxious. Like kingofsnake said, you only notice the annoying ones.

spacehamster
I guess they've just finally figured out that everyone here in Europe is deaf. It's probably best if we stop pretending otherwise now.

Don't bloody tell them.

Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
crazyninny at 1:05PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
Depends on where your going. I'll be going to Japan next year, so I don't think I need to be shouting around that I'm an American there. @_@
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Coveinant at 1:48PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
Hell if I know. I'm American but the main reason, I think, is because they are so insecure about themselves that they have to have something to make them feel supereour. That's just what I think.
Enter my contests and be happy about your ideas.

go here, I may have left you something good
CJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:47AM
CharleyHorse at 1:51PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Perhaps some kind Australian reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Australian are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are Australian?

heh-heh . . . I recall about twenty years ago when a gaggle of Australians entered a condominium complex where I was working and they talked at the top of their lungs in a boisterous way. Of course they were sloshed to the gills. Of course they had good reason so to be in this case. This was just after the Australians won the first America's cup challenge and got to remove the cup that had been sitting somewhere in Boston for about a century, because no one but US of A boaters ever won the darn thing up ‘til then. So they had good reason to be drunk and rowdy, but they were:

1] Australian

2] Exceedingly loud

3] Depending on one’s frame of mind, somewhat rude

4] Very, Very Very drunk

5] Tourists

Purely coincidence I am sure. Actually, I rather liked them, but then I am a Texan.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
giadrosich at 7:46PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(offline)
Most Americans probably shout because they figure they own everything already and feel quite at home whereever they are!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Aussie_kid at 9:14PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
CharleyHorse
Perhaps some kind Australian reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Australian are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are Australian?

heh-heh . . . I recall about twenty years ago when a gaggle of Australians entered a condominium complex where I was working and they talked at the top of their lungs in a boisterous way. Of course they were sloshed to the gills. Of course they had good reason so to be in this case. This was just after the Australians won the first America's cup challenge and got to remove the cup that had been sitting somewhere in Boston for about a century, because no one but US of A boaters ever won the darn thing up ‘til then. So they had good reason to be drunk and rowdy, but they were:

1] Australian

2] Exceedingly loud

3] Depending on one’s frame of mind, somewhat rude

4] Very, Very Very drunk

5] Tourists

Purely coincidence I am sure. Actually, I rather liked them, but then I am a Texan.

Yeah, but that was twenty years ago. And anyway, it's a reaction to the wide spread poisonous liquid Americans seem to think is beer.

Here are my thoughts. Americans are told in media that they are the greatest country in the world, even though they're at #12 of the countries you can live in (And Australia is #3. Woo! Check the list if you don't believe me) and also see, in some movies, where Americans are treated like royalty because of where they come from. Yes, this is true in some places, as America is seen as a very rich country, but not always. And finally, there are some old movies where Americans manage to fix a foreign country with American values or ways of government. With these factors in place, some Americans believe that all they need to have the best trip, they need to announce their citizenship and then just wait to be waited on hand and foot. Or, complain about how everything is different and then expect it will be changed for them.

Now, not to say that the United States is not the only country with people who do this, nor are all Americans like this. I know European backpackers can criticise other countries as well and Japanese can criticise when they see some one reading manga. But it's really all about a mind set. It's basically the same as people who believe in stereotypes.

Anyway, that's just what I think
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Ozoneocean at 11:48PM, Dec. 3, 2007
(online)
Every country is the greatest on the world… At least to the people in that country.

heh, on holiday people have fun. A good tip for tourists anywhere though is to try and blend it a little… The ones that I've seen touring the sites all dressed up like they're going on an African jungle safari here have a little something to learn. That get-up is only appropriate for camping in the bush or impersonation Steve Irwin.

Europeans are bad for that sort of thing. Whereas Japanese tend to dress up far too expensively, whatever they do here. Americans tend to blend in fine as far as clothes go, even US sailors are better these days; once upon a time out of uniform they either wore their very best cutting edge stuff, or big belt buckle, cowboy boots and a great big cowboy hat. -That's an unusual sight in itself but even stranger on a big, pudgy, pasty faced bald guy… which they always were. lol!

It's quite amusing to think about this aspect of tourism. :)
DAJB at 12:15AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
I'm sure there are quiet American tourists, just as there are UK tourists (like me!) who aren't either loud-mouthed, belligerent football hooligans or obnoxious ladettes on a hen-night.

But they're not the ones you notice, are they?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
usedbooks at 12:24AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
DAJB
I'm sure there are quiet American tourists, just as there are UK tourists (like me!) who aren't either loud-mouthed, belligerent football hooligans or obnoxious ladettes on a hen-night.

But they're not the ones you notice, are they?

On the flip side of that…

cartoonprofessor
why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite
Guess what. We have plenty of loud obnoxious Americans in our own country too. (Go to a college town some weekend and hang out anywhere that serves alcohol.) But we don't say “Geez, listen to those loud Americans with their obnoxious American accents.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Steely Gaze at 3:01AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Aussie_kid
Yes, this is true in some places, as America is seen as a very rich country, but not always. And finally, there are some old movies where Americans manage to fix a foreign country with American values or ways of government. With these factors in place, some Americans believe that all they need to have the best trip, they need to announce their citizenship and then just wait to be waited on hand and foot. Or, complain about how everything is different and then expect it will be changed for them.

Please tell me what movies you're watching, because if you haven't noticed, the dollar is falling fast compared to the Euro, and right now my tiny little state is getting more tourists from Europe and Britain then ever before. Heck, we've even gotten some Australians. And they all stick out like a sore thumb as they rush through the shopping malls purchasing whatever they please.

I think your ideas about Americans come from the 1950s or something.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
mechanical_lullaby at 3:32AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
cartoonprofessor
Perhaps some kind american reader can tell me why it is that in their own country Americans are generally quite nice, friendly, and polite (so I have beeen told) but when they visit other countries they have to shout their accent everywhere they go as if trying to let anyone know within earshot (in this case several streets) that they are american?

I often work in Hastings st in Noosa (the best beach and national park in the world for those that don't know it) and you can hear americans from many miles away.

Basically, it's because we're stupid. I know people who have gone to other countries and have been extremely disrespectful, expecting that the people behind the desk or on the street know English right off the bat when really they should have at least learned the ever important: Do you speak English? before going. Other than that, if visiting other English-speaking countries: we're just excited to be there, or anxious.
Or perhaps we're just trying to whore pity. I'm American. You're American, I'm so sorry.
But we do tend to be nice people in our own country– strictly because we are genuinely nice people or because we lose you as a customer if we aren't.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Ozoneocean at 4:17AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
The only American rudeness I've seen here in Aus is to service staff. I suppose that's because in America things are a little different, service staff wages are a lot lower and they have to work harder and be nicer to get tips. Here service staff are paid better. The tip culture has come in from the US but they don't need it, staff aren't a class bellow while they're working, if you know what I mean…?

Personally I like it that way, I'd rather a disinterested off-hand waiter than some smiley-faced, willing to do anything to please, puppy-dog kind of thing… You're a human, I'm a human, I'm the customer and you're just doing your job, you don't need to act like a prostitute. lol!

But if I was used to the other way I suppose I'd prefer that too, it's just that with the way it is here I can fit that into an egalitarian ideology. :P
Pixie at 4:23AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
mechanical_lullaby
Basically, it's because we're stupid. I know people who have gone to other countries and have been extremely disrespectful, expecting that the people behind the desk or on the street know English right off the bat when really they should have at least learned the ever important: Do you speak English? before going.

British people do that too. It's incredibly embarrassing for those of us who do try to make an effort to see Brits swanning off to Spain and France, and just shouting louder at the French and Spanish people when they don't understand english right away. The worst bit is, most europeans can speak at least two languages, usually with fluent english as their second - but almost no Brits speak anything more than english and they won't when they go abroad, either. I'm just embarrassed for my entire country. :(

I'm not bilingual, but I speak enough spanish to get by, and no french at all. That doesn't mean I won't at least attempt to speak a bit of french next time I'm in France, in order to be polite. And okay, I'll sound like a tit - but I'm fairly sure the french will appreciate the effort. :P

Bloody Brits have even made the Costa del Sol into some kind of british resort. They sell bloody fish and chips there! How spanish is that?!? GAH. Spain =/= Britain but with more sun, you bunch of ill-educated lardy wankers.

Alaka-bwee-oop! Old school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Pixie at 4:29AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
The only American rudeness I've seen here in Aus is to service staff.

This reminds me of a story… XD

Okay, so I was in a little pub, with my american other half, in the UK. A pub we're both very fond of for various historical reasons. It's called the Six Bells, and it happens to be fairly near to Gatwick airport. So we're sat there, and I'm drinking the american (almost twice my size) under the table because he's used to piss-weak US beer (haha!)… and we order food and stuff.

And we notice a lady sitting on her own nearby. And she sits… and sits… and sits…

After a while, maybe half an hour, an hour or so, our food is brought to us. As the waiter passes on the way back, the lady stops him and asks in an american accent if she might order, please? (Bless her cotton socks, I wanted to hug her, I felt so sorry for her!). It turned out she didn't realise that in UK pubs, you order everything at the bar - drinks, food, everything. No table service! The poor dear had been sat there for almost an hour on her own, wondering why the waiters were ignoring her! XD

Awwwww…. Bless. She wasn't rude about it at all, just a bit embarrassed. I wish I'd known sooner, so I could have told her and saved her all the waiting about!
Alaka-bwee-oop! Old school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:12AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Coveinant
Hell if I know. I'm American but the main reason, I think, is because they are so insecure about themselves that they have to have something to make them feel supereour. That's just what I think.
Like a bully?

Just so you know, Second Step is bullshit.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:05AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon