Comic Talk and General Discussion *

ask a soldier! Q&A
shaneronzio at 6:26AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
2 part question.

What are your thoughts about the over all progress of restructuring/rebuilding Iraq and is it true that
No Good deed goes UnPunished?

bonus question…
Do you think that bringing Air Conditioning to Iraq will cut down on alot of the random senseless violence carried out by these suicidal madmen that seem to appear out of nowhere?
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
notlikelytocare at 7:09AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
joerocks1981
How long were both of you out there? Phantom & Notlikely.

Well im Currently deployed….. Hence the long wait to reply…… ive been here almost 10 months….. i have around 5-8 left….. i really have no idea when were returning…..
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
notlikelytocare at 7:12AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
bongotezz
how tasty are the MREs?

well….. it depends….. they range between prison chow, and regurgitated aborted fetuses……
notlikelytocare at 7:14AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
mlai
Wait, 50 cal inch long bullets? WTF you talking bout, soldier?

Just the diameter is 1/2 an inch long. Bullet length is 5.45 inches.

yeah…. inch long was wrong…. sorry, typed as i was falling asleep….. and actually…. the bullets OUTSIDE of the cartridge are around 3 inches long and a half inch wide….
subcultured at 7:16AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
i want phantom to tell the story about his kidney
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
notlikelytocare at 7:19AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
vgman
what would you recomend for someon looking to get into the army?

well….. if you have anything planned for the next 8 years of your life…… forget it…. otherwise go ahead!!!! its not as bad as the media makes it out to be…… oh and by the way……. get used to running…. you need to be able to run a mile in 8 minutes just to get in basic training…… oh and you WILL deploy…. actually most people are deploying straight from basic now….
notlikelytocare at 7:27AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
Ocka
Have you heard any weird folk tales while there?

Have you ever killed anyone? How did it feel?

(applies to any soldier)

hmmm folk tales…… well…… idk….. these people are pretty boring lol….. no real stories……

as for the killing….. this isnt like WW1 or 2 were not just marching and shooting….. we only kill when necessary………. but yes…… and i was too busy in an adrenaline rush to really feel much……. im sure if hes comfortable with talking about it, phantom will be able to elaborate more than I, seeing as he was in fallujah AND a tanker……
notlikelytocare at 7:28AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
D0m
Do you ever regret your profession?

NEEEEEVEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! (army joke)
notlikelytocare at 7:35AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
shaneronzio
2 part question.

What are your thoughts about the over all progress of restructuring/rebuilding Iraq and is it true that
No Good deed goes UnPunished?

bonus question…
Do you think that bringing Air Conditioning to Iraq will cut down on alot of the random senseless violence carried out by these suicidal madmen that seem to appear out of nowhere?

I believe that we have made major progress in restructuring the government in Iraq….. as for the rebuilding……. we do what we can….. but it seems to stay the same to me….. as for no good deed goes unpunished…….. absolutely false….. everything we do to better the lives of the locals gains us further trust and support….

as for the air conditioning…… ok…… it seems to be believed that Iraq is a third world country, by a large percentage of Americans….. this is completely false…. Iraq was a very rich country at one point and enjoyed most if not all the household comforts that we do…… in these last few wars, thay have lost alot of the value of their country, but hey still remain a wealthy country…… most dwellings here have air conditoning and have had it far before we were EVER deployed here……..
notlikelytocare at 7:41AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
subcultured

Oh yes!!!! please do!!!!! Educate us!!!!
Phantom Penguin at 8:37AM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
subcultured

I hate this story. A lot.

On patrol in some POS town west of Fallujah. I got out of my Humvee to pull secruity on the rear while my dumb CO did something in the house next to us.

No one even heard a gunshot.

Sniper shot me under the vest and protective plate. I fell flate on my face. I felt like I was melting out onto the street. I was bleeding out and no one even knew. I got up to my knees and pulled myself to the humvee's back left door looking for help. My driver took my vest off to try to help..

I got shot AGAIN. This time it blew apart my kidney. And wasn't slowed down by a vest, because it was off while I was getting first aid, the bullet tore threw me and into the driver doing first aid.

Somehow I managed to pull my pistol out and start shooting at the window it was coming from and the sniper ran off.

So from that day I lost a kidney,
but gained two purple hearts and a silver star.

I never did another mission in anything other then a tank.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:39AM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
notlikelytocare
Ocka
Have you heard any weird folk tales while there?

Have you ever killed anyone? How did it feel?

(applies to any soldier)

hmmm folk tales…… well…… idk….. these people are pretty boring lol….. no real stories……

as for the killing….. this isnt like WW1 or 2 were not just marching and shooting….. we only kill when necessary………. but yes…… and i was too busy in an adrenaline rush to really feel much……. im sure if hes comfortable with talking about it, phantom will be able to elaborate more than I, seeing as he was in fallujah AND a tanker……

I don't kiss and tell.
notlikelytocare at 9:06AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
subcultured

On patrol in some POS town west of Fallujah. I got out of my Humvee to pull secruity on the rear while my dumb CO did something in the house next to us.

Sniper shot me under the vest and protective plate. I fell flate on my face. I felt like I was melting out onto the street. I was bleeding out and no one even knew. I got up to my knees and pulled myself to the humvee's back left door looking for help. My driver took my vest off to try to help..

I got shot AGAIN. This time it blew apart my kidney. And wasn't slowed down by a vest, because it was off while I was getting first aid, the bullet tore threw me and into the driver doing first aid.

Somehow I managed to pull my pistol out and start shooting at the window it was coming from and the sniper ran off.

WOW…….. well…..ummm…….. hmmmmm……. damnit i cant think of anything that brave ive done……
Phantom Penguin at 9:15AM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
notlikelytocare
Phantom Penguin
subcultured

WOW…….. well…..ummm…….. hmmmmm……. damnit i cant think of anything that brave ive done……

It wasn't brave it was stupid. I wasn't scanning my sector in detail, I probably would have seen the sniper setting up.
notlikelytocare at 9:36AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin

It wasn't brave it was stupid. I wasn't scanning my sector in detail, I probably would have seen the sniper setting up.
well its still far more than ive seen…… and i dont know if i coulda lifted my weapon after that……
subcultured at 10:05AM, July 24, 2007
(online)
most soldiers don't like talking about their kills.

i mean really, most people are inundated from birth to respect human life and it gets turn around when they go to war. but in the end the protective instinct takes over and “it's them or me” kinda deal
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
mlai at 1:30PM, July 24, 2007
(online)
My dad doesn't talk about squat unless he's drunk. Then he sometimes spills the beans.

The only thing I remember he talks about killing without being drunk is when he took a sidearm and shot some sort of GIANT gila monster or lizard/reptile type thing that scared the bejeezus out of him when he was taking a bath. That's in the wilds of SE Asia somewhere.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Phantom Penguin at 1:42PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
mlai
My dad doesn't talk about squat unless he's drunk. Then he sometimes spills the beans.

The only thing I remember he talks about killing without being drunk is when he took a sidearm and shot some sort of GIANT gila monster or lizard/reptile type thing that scared the bejeezus out of him when he was taking a bath. That's in the wilds of SE Asia somewhere.

Like I said I don't kiss and tell.

But that has to be one of the most asked questions I get. My question to civilians is why do you want to know?
bongotezz at 2:08PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
mlai

my dad never talked about his time in africa or vietnam. neither did any of his military friends. He did however talk about his time in germany and acores. probablly because nothing bad happened there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
qdawg at 2:51PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
My grandpa was an MP the only stories I get are from my mom and there is nothing bad in them. I was thinking of joining the air force so I could fly those sweet ass jets.
Rockin it fatboy style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
mlai at 5:08PM, July 24, 2007
(online)
Yeah my dad always complains too that he wished he joined the air force instead, instead of doing his Rambo years. He seems to regret not becoming a jet pilot, even if in his days pilot mortality was higher. He said his scores were good enough. He took recreational flying lessons to somewhat sate his regrets.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Phantom Penguin at 5:27PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
Rambo years? hehheh.

I love acting like Rambo! Because I used to be a skinny little hockey player and got A's in class. :)
jmt at 9:54PM, July 24, 2007
(online)
hey when I was in, i got lucky. i never had to go anywhere where people were shooting at me. The only deserts I ever saw was NTC in California and Yakima in Washington state.

I just want to say thank you to you guys. My brother was a squad leader in Iraq and got 3 inches of bone blown out of his right leg, and 4 blown out of his left leg with one of those make shift land mines. His whole squad got hit pretty bad and only he and one of his guys made it. He has a family, and there isn't a day that goes by that I feel a little guilty that i made my 4 years with little more than a bad hang over and bad knees. and he has to worry about feeding and providing for his family. When it was all a matter of timing.

I really appreciate you guys.

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Nonstandard_Assembly/

http://www.jonnyaxx.com/

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Cake Bandit at 10:14PM, July 24, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
But that has to be one of the most asked questions I get. My question to civilians is why do you want to know?

Because generally if we civies kill someone we get arrested for it.
^The above post is likely written light heartedly.
It's not on DD but it's still My Totally Kickass Webcomic
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
notlikelytocare at 12:19AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
jmt
hey when I was in, i got lucky. i never had to go anywhere where people were shooting at me. The only deserts I ever saw was NTC in California and Yakima in Washington state.

I just want to say thank you to you guys. My brother was a squad leader in Iraq and got 3 inches of bone blown out of his right leg, and 4 blown out of his left leg with one of those make shift land mines. His whole squad got hit pretty bad and only he and one of his guys made it. He has a family, and there isn't a day that goes by that I feel a little guilty that i made my 4 years with little more than a bad hang over and bad knees. and he has to worry about feeding and providing for his family. When it was all a matter of timing.

I really appreciate you guys.

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Nonstandard_Assembly/

http://www.jonnyaxx.com/

trust me, its nothing to feel sorry for…… one of my drll sergeants never was deployed to ANY place and he was 11B!!!!!! so yeah…. some people just luck out…
Mr Chappers at 7:54AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Four Questions:

What is the best ration pack meal?

Would you ever work in/with the British Army?

Favorite type of cheese?

Whats better Pie or Cake? (desserts only)

Thank you.

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
notlikelytocare at 11:16AM, July 25, 2007
(online)
Mr Chappers
Four Questions:

Favorite type of cheese?

Thank you.

the best mre????? the one being incinerated…..

i dont really know much about the british army…..

MUENSTER FTW!!!!!

PECAN PIE FTW!!!!!

Meh…. your welcome…
Phantom Penguin at 4:07PM, July 25, 2007
(offline)
Mr Chappers
Four Questions:

The grilled Chicken MRE. Which is neither grilled nor chicken

Hell yeah, i've worked with British tanker's, good folks.

Favorite type of cheese?
Pepper Jack

Cheese Cake!

Thank you.
joe_vee at 5:15PM, July 25, 2007
(offline)
Where can I get a Gortex Generation II Woodland print jacket (not the digital army print :) )?!!!
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
notlikelytocare at 12:21AM, July 26, 2007
(online)
joe_vee
Where can I get a Gortex Generation II Woodland print jacket (not the digital army print :) )?!!!
http://www.rangerjoes.com/field-jacket-long-length-p-17.html
Right there

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon