Comic Talk and General Discussion *

ask a soldier! Q&A
Hapoppo at 6:13PM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Well I myself can't really think of any questions right off the top of my head, but I really couldn't leave this topic without joining everyone else in saying a huge THANK YOU for everything you guys have done for us!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
notlikelytocare at 12:24AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
D0m
What do you think you'll say when you're 74 and asked “What do you think about your experiences about a soldier way back when you were in your twenties?”
You know…. im not quite sure…. but im sure it will involve alot of refrences to Crown Royal, horrible leadership, and back pain….
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
notlikelytocare at 12:49AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
mlai
Does your base camp really look like that one at the beginning of the movie Transformers?

Who and what age is the absolute oldest military man you see around everyday? My dad says that actors who play soldiers in movies are always too old.
Actually no. but my FOB is located in the center of Iraq's second largest city, so theres nothing around here that barren. but we do have a few squad sized FOBs we resupply that are EXTREMELY small…….

and the oldest age i know of is 48, my platoon sergeant….. there are actually quite a few older people in the army…
notlikelytocare at 12:54AM, July 28, 2007
(online)
Mr Chappers
What is your view on conscription?

Should we as allied forces start to put our younger citizens through basic training for two/three years?

And

What made you want to join the army?
question 1: HELL NO
question 2: NO
question 3: homelessness
Bekefel at 8:58AM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
Would you use that gun in comabat? Or are cannons not your style?

(I just wanted an excuse to post this video.)
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
notlikelytocare at 9:03AM, July 29, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
Would you use that gun in comabat? Or are cannons not your style?

(I just wanted an excuse to post this video.)
Man, if i could I'd keep a Desert Eagle strapped to my side at all times….
AQua_ng at 9:26AM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
What battle/war/campaign/skirmish/schism/fight of the past would you most want to be part of?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
notlikelytocare at 9:34AM, July 29, 2007
(online)
AQua_ng
What battle/war/campaign/skirmish/schism/fight of the past would you most want to be part of?
Sparta…. 'nuff said
Phantom Penguin at 11:49AM, July 29, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng

Battle of Kursk.
Biggest tank battle ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
vgman at 9:14PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(offline)
would you still join the army knowing what you do now?
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
notlikelytocare at 10:58PM, Aug. 2, 2007
(online)
vgman
would you still join the army knowing what you do now?
Most definitely not!
Leon Hyrulious at 6:38PM, Aug. 5, 2007
(offline)
I'm a CDT. SSG in my local Rotc. Is there any idvice to give to anybody who plans on going airborne, or just joining in general?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
bongotezz at 1:09PM, Aug. 6, 2007
(offline)
here's a serious question.

from what i see on the news and newspaper articles this war seems a lot like vietnam. i think it's mainly because the US is occupying the country and the enemy is hard to distinguish from the regular locals. the enemy is also using hit and run gorilla tactics. and there doesn't seem to be any end to this conflict.

do you guys see this the same way i do from the newspapers and TV news?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
Lord Shplane at 1:37PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
notlikelytocare
AQua_ng
Sparta…. 'nuff said

Hehe… Sparta pwns.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Lord Shplane at 1:38PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
notlikelytocare
tweebus
First, I just want to give a thanks for all of your sacrifice!

Despite the talk and bullshit politics it seems both parties
are intent on hanging in there. Which makes me wonder who's
really running the show. The news is too biased either one way
or another, but I have a feeling we are never leaving and permenant
bases will set up once a pro American government is in place and
stable.
I guess the question is what keeps your moral high during all this
political crap that goes on? And what constitutes a win?
Also, do you guys plan on making a career of the of it or are you
done with it once you get a chance?
What bothers me most is that you never hear anything from the soldiers
in the field unless it's something spun to the negative. From what I've
read here so far you're in good spirits, despite what the news reports.

well in one word….. friends.
friends are the one thing that keeps me sane here….. whether it be in real life, or on here….. it also helps to know that we're so supported in everything we do…..

i wholeheartedly agree with penguins above statement….. it sucks to lose a comrade…… but we have to drive on….. i lost one of the most important people to me in my life due to this war….. but you know what? I am proud to have been by his side here in iraq during his final moments….. no matter how bad it gets, no matter what happens, i know i will always carry around a sense of pride that most people could never dream of feeling, because of this war……

and as for reenlistment…… lmao….. i couldn't if i wanted to…. i have about a year and a half left as well…. but im what you would call a troublemaker….. or what they call in the army a “Shitbag” lmao……. and i was told just yesterday that im not gonna be able to reenlist……. but meh, i was planning on getting out anyway so i could further my education….. so its a win-win situation for me….

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I just have to say…..
DAWW… give me a hug!!!
Mak at 5:34PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Leon Hyrulious
I'm a CDT. SSG in my local Rotc. Is there any idvice to give to anybody who plans on going airborne, or just joining in general?

Yea, DON'T, jumping out of a plane is STUPID. Besides, you can't be airborne and be a DAT, and if you're not a DAT you're a crunchie.

Bandits
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Mak at 5:37PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
In all seriousness, get prepared to run, and run, and run, and carry heavy stuff while running. Never forget why you joined. Understand that at some point in time you are going to have to point a loaded weapon at someone else's brother/father/son, and know that you have to sleep with that. (I do just fine) And remember LT's don't have any idea what they are talking about.

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
Leon Hyrulious at 7:31PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Mak
Leon Hyrulious

Yea, DON'T, jumping out of a plane is STUPID. Besides, you can't be airborne and be a DAT, and if you're not a DAT you're a crunchie.

Bandits

Ok, serious question, I have no idea what a “DAT” is, will you inform me?
Mak at 7:41PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Leon Hyrulious
Mak
Leon Hyrulious

Bandits

Sorry DAT is meant to be an insult. Technically it should be C-DAT. A DAT is a dumb ass tanker. The C in C-DAT stands for Computerized, in reference to the ballistic computers they put in modern tanks. (Post Vietnam era). In the Army, Tankers are famous for fixing everything with a hammer. And I mean everything. We had a small hammer that we used on our electronics.

Leon Hyrulious at 9:54PM, Aug. 7, 2007
(offline)
Mak
Leon Hyrulious
Mak
Leon Hyrulious

Bandits

Sorry DAT is meant to be an insult. Technically it should be C-DAT. A DAT is a dumb ass tanker. The C in C-DAT stands for Computerized, in reference to the ballistic computers they put in modern tanks. (Post Vietnam era). In the Army, Tankers are famous for fixing everything with a hammer. And I mean everything. We had a small hammer that we used on our electronics.

Seems like a legitemat strategy.
Phantom Penguin at 2:09AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
Mak
Leon Hyrulious
Mak
Leon Hyrulious

Bandits

And we still do.
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 10:04AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
Do you enjoy being revered as Gods in this thread?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
qdawg at 11:34AM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
What do you/did you miss most while deployed? Since I don't think I have already. Thank You.
Rockin it fatboy style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
mlai at 1:37PM, Aug. 8, 2007
(online)
A technical question relevant to my comic:

I'm looking up stuff concerning the 20mm M61 Vulcan cannon. After calculations, each 20mm shell delivers a force of 1030 Newtons, or 105 kg.m/s.

Now, I don't have any reference point on what constitutes “stopping power.”

Let's say a normal man is holding Capt. America's unbreakable shield in front of him, and he's braced for impact. Now, one 20mm shell is fired at the shield head on, from 10 yards.

How far will he be knocked back? Will his arms be broken? Is he gonna be unconscious? Is he gonna be dead? Was the force of the shell equivalent to a sedan hitting his shield? A SUV?

Hopefully you guys know, or know guys who know.

Edit: Doing some elementary math, a 60kg man hit by a force of 105kg.m/s, not including real life FX such as penetration etc, will fall back at 2 m/s. That really doesn't seem like much… So if a person has some sort of force field that distributes kinetic energy over his entire body, a 20mm shell hitting him won't do too much?

A woman getting hit by a bus going at 10mph receives roughly 397,671 Newtons or 40,551 kg.m/s. She bounces off the bus' windshield and flies back, and survives with fracture to arm, rib, skull.

A 100-kg football linebacker moving at 2 m/s tackling you head on will deliver a force of 1961 Newtons or 200 kg.m/s.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Mak at 2:10PM, Aug. 8, 2007
(offline)
mlai

I'm looking up stuff concerning the 20mm M61 Vulcan cannon. After calculations, each 20mm shell delivers a force of 1030 Newtons, or 105 kg.m/s.

Let's say a normal man is holding Capt. America's unbreakable shield in front of him, and he's braced for impact. Now, one 20mm shell is fired at the shield head on, from 10 yards.

How far will he be knocked back? Will his arms be broken? Is he gonna be unconscious? Is he gonna be dead? Was the force of the shell equivalent to a sedan hitting his shield? A SUV?

I don't know exact distances, but I have seen a similar weapon fire on ground targets. He would probably be knocked back a good 10 feet. I would say yes his arms would be broken, and I believe he would be dead, because the shield would probably be knocked back into his head. Now the thing you have to remember is that a vulcan fires so fast, it is pretty much impossible that a target that size would only be hit by one round. He would suffer multiple impacts, and not just to the shield. The vulcan is used to fill an area with lead, it is not an accurate weapon. Just something to think about.

mlai at 7:01PM, Aug. 8, 2007
(online)
Thanks. I've revised my scene thanks to what you told me, to make it more believable.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:30PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
qdawg
What do you/did you miss most while deployed? Since I don't think I have already. Thank You.

Do the most? Patrol the street and have pissed off Iraqi's take pop shots at us.

Miss most?
heh, i'm a guy, surrounded by guys, what do you think?
Phantom Penguin at 8:33PM, Aug. 9, 2007
(offline)
mlai

Edit: Doing some elementary math, a 60kg man hit by a force of 105kg.m/s, not including real life FX such as penetration etc, will fall back at 2 m/s. That really doesn't seem like much… So if a person has some sort of force field that distributes kinetic energy over his entire body, a 20mm shell hitting him won't do too much?

A woman getting hit by a bus going at 10mph receives roughly 397,671 Newtons or 40,551 kg.m/s. She bounces off the bus' windshield and flies back, and survives with fracture to arm, rib, skull.

A 100-kg football linebacker moving at 2 m/s tackling you head on will deliver a force of 1961 Newtons or 200 kg.m/s.

That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet. It will turn any tank into swiss cheese.

Thank god its on my side.

Lord Shplane at 1:19PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Ok, an actual question now, what is the most annoying thing about being in the military?
Mr Chappers at 1:42PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(online)
A list of favorites of you so please:
Handhold gun (signal hand or both)?
Mounted gun?
Tank?
Helicopter?
Jet plane?

Read the Author, its good i promise.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM

Forgot Password