Comic Talk and General Discussion *

ask a soldier! Q&A
Phantom Penguin at 2:07PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Ok, an actual question now, what is the most annoying thing about being in the military?

6:30am formations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Phantom Penguin at 2:09PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
Mr Chappers
A list of favorites of you so please:
Handhold gun (signal hand or both)?
Mounted gun?
Tank?
Helicopter?
Jet plane?

-Single because its a 9mm, theres no need for a second hand.
-besides the 120mm? Its the m240
-M1A1 TUSK. duh
-Apache longbow
-A-10 warthog
mlai at 10:35PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet. It will turn any tank into swiss cheese.
Oh man, did I recruit yet another unbeatable monster which will cause me to write myself into another corner?
I'll be damned if flyboys laugh at my manga for being ill-informed! My research is impeccable!

*Runs back to edit script.*

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Lord Shplane at 10:45PM, Aug. 10, 2007
(offline)
What is the WORST POSSIBLE THING that can happen during a battle?

Edit: BEFORE you die.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:40PM
mlai at 9:52AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
Y'know, some ppl might be a tad superstitious and be very offended by a question like that. I know I'd be that type.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
AQua_ng at 10:19AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
What have you gained from the military experience?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
Ozoneocean at 10:42AM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet.
You know… that's not quite true actually. The real reason for short burst fire is because at the rate the gun throws out metal it'd have none left for other targets if they let it run too long ;)

Besides, it has a high fire rate because it can't engage with any target for too long (it is flying afterall, while they're just sitting on the ground). In the split seconds it gets to shoot at each heavily armoured target, it has to pump as many 30mm rounds as possible into them… Or else it'd just carry older style twin 30mm autocannons.

The recoil force is indeed mighty, but the plane more than copes. Consider; the force the gun puts out might indeed be greater than that of both engines combined, but those engines have already sped the aeroplane up to flying speed… Now, all the gun would do is slow it down a bit, it'd have to run for quite a long time to counter the momentum of the aircraft as well as the power of the engines.

Physics. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Lord Shplane at 2:26PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
mlai
Y'know, some ppl might be a tad superstitious and be very offended by a question like that. I know I'd be that type.

Alright, if it really bothers Penguin or NotLikely I'll take it off.

They have to tell me themselves though.
Phantom Penguin at 2:41PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Phantom Penguin
That weapon is mounted on the A-10 WartHog anti-tank jet. It fires so fast and is so powerful the jet can only fire short busts of its weapon because it will be knocked out of the air by its own force. Even when it fires it stalls and is pushed back by the shear power of this weapon. It stalls a jet.
You know… that's not quite true actually. The real reason for short burst fire is because at the rate the gun throws out metal it'd have none left for other targets if they let it run too long ;)

Besides, it has a high fire rate because it can't engage with any target for too long (it is flying afterall, while they're just sitting on the ground). In the split seconds it gets to shoot at each heavily armoured target, it has to pump as many 30mm rounds as possible into them… Or else it'd just carry older style twin 30mm autocannons.

The recoil force is indeed mighty, but the plane more than copes. Consider; the force the gun puts out might indeed be greater than that of both engines combined, but those engines have already sped the aeroplane up to flying speed… Now, all the gun would do is slow it down a bit, it'd have to run for quite a long time to counter the momentum of the aircraft as well as the power of the engines.

Physics. ;)

It doesn't always stall a jet, but it indeed can. Pilots of those bad boys have what they call ‘attack speed’. This means they let off the throttle and focus on firing which in turns slows the plane down. The reason why they do that is because if they rip on the throttle and fire the big guns it can possibly cause damage to the engine and jet turbines, leading to the stall.

Phantom Penguin at 2:46PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane

Well getting shot in no picnic. But as a tanker the worst thing that can happen to an entire crew is either:

-Track being blown off
-Engine fire
-Main gun being thrown out of service
(this last one happened to my crew during Operation Phantom Fury. Our main gun was hit by RPG and was blown in half, we had to use small arms the rest of the 2 week operation)

Track if you didn't know is how a tank moves, you stop a tank you can surround it, we lost track many time because of roadside bombs, but they were to scared to move in close to our tank.

Engine fires can happen many different ways, mostly from a armor defeating shaped charge that manages to blow its way into the fuel cells. If this happens the crew has to bail out.
Lord Shplane at 2:55PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
Lord Shplane

Well getting shot in no picnic. But as a tanker the worst thing that can happen to an entire crew is either:

-Track being blown off
-Engine fire
(this last one happened to my crew during Operation Phantom Fury. Our main gun was hit by RPG and was blown in half, we had to use small arms the rest of the 2 week operation)

Track if you didn't know is how a tank moves, you stop a tank you can surround it, we lost track many time because of roadside bombs, but they were to scared to move in close to our tank.

Engine fires can happen many different ways, mostly from a armor defeating shaped charge that manages to blow its way into the fuel cells. If this happens the crew has to bail out.

Ok, thanks for being cool about my question.

Oh, and I hope none of that stuff ever happens.
Phantom Penguin at 2:57PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane
Phantom Penguin
Lord Shplane

-Track being blown off
-Engine fire

Ok, thanks for being cool about my question.

Oh, and I hope none of that stuff ever happens.

Ask anything, its near impossible to offend me.
Mak at 3:26PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
Lord Shplane

To have any Lt touch your tank.:)
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Phantom Penguin at 5:04PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
Mak
Lord Shplane

Ugh, I was in the XO's tank for my last table 8. That guy can't TC his way out of a paper bag.
Mak at 7:40AM, Aug. 12, 2007
(offline)
Phantom Penguin
Mak
Lord Shplane

Ugh, I was in the XO's tank for my last table 8. That guy can't TC his way out of a paper bag.

Know what you mean. We were doing a field exercise one time (victory fuckus i think) and my LT had broken his tank. Since we were his wing, he was going to take ours. No shit he touched the front slope and the engine aborted. His touch alone was enough to cause the starter to fail, which of course stalls the engine. And who got stuck changing the starter, me of course. But thats okay, we got him back. Lieutenants are so stoooopid, especially new ones.
I'm a ex-DAT, which means all ya'll are crunchies, and I swing a mean hammer.

Rule 37 should be made rule 1

The civilized would should be ashamed, what good is power if you do not stop things like Darfur??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Phantom Penguin at 8:19AM, Aug. 12, 2007
(offline)
Mak
Phantom Penguin
Mak
Lord Shplane

Know what you mean. We were doing a field exercise one time (victory fuckus i think) and my LT had broken his tank. Since we were his wing, he was going to take ours. No shit he touched the front slope and the engine aborted. His touch alone was enough to cause the starter to fail, which of course stalls the engine. And who got stuck changing the starter, me of course. But thats okay, we got him back. Lieutenants are so stoooopid, especially new ones.

Yeah we shot his Beret downrange. Well, I loaded it and he shot it on his own engagment. We were going to tape him to the guntube but he ran off.
shaneronzio at 9:20AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
notlikelytocare
shaneronzio
2 part question.

What are your thoughts about the over all progress of restructuring/rebuilding Iraq and is it true that
No Good deed goes UnPunished?

bonus question…
Do you think that bringing Air Conditioning to Iraq will cut down on alot of the random senseless violence carried out by these suicidal madmen that seem to appear out of nowhere?

I believe that we have made major progress in restructuring the government in Iraq….. as for the rebuilding……. we do what we can….. but it seems to stay the same to me….. as for no good deed goes unpunished…….. absolutely false….. everything we do to better the lives of the locals gains us further trust and support….

as for the air conditioning…… ok…… it seems to be believed that Iraq is a third world country, by a large percentage of Americans….. this is completely false…. Iraq was a very rich country at one point and enjoyed most if not all the household comforts that we do…… in these last few wars, thay have lost alot of the value of their country, but hey still remain a wealthy country…… most dwellings here have air conditoning and have had it far before we were EVER deployed here……..

Thank you.

Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Leon Hyrulious at 8:32PM, Aug. 23, 2007
(offline)
Alright, I have a new question. How much of basic D&C is actualy used?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
notlikelytocare at 3:27AM, Aug. 24, 2007
(online)
Leon Hyrulious

About 0.0000001% at least in my unit…
I dunno, what about you Penguin?

And to everybody.. Sorry about my unexplained absence from this thread, I've been busy with “other projects”.

~Notlikelytocare
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:18PM
Leon Hyrulious at 6:39PM, Aug. 24, 2007
(offline)
One question about the new Army Combat Uniforms, on the thigh pockets, the elastic drawstring, Is it supposed to be tucked inside the pocket?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Phantom Penguin at 6:55PM, Aug. 24, 2007
(offline)
Leon Hyrulious
One question about the new Army Combat Uniforms, on the thigh pockets, the elastic drawstring, Is it supposed to be tucked inside the pocket?

I cut mine off. The uniform as a whole is garbage. They last about 4 months tops in garrison. I can't imagine how long in combat. I had DCU's when I was deployed, and they were awesome.

One thing the ACUs have that I like? No more ironing!
Phantom Penguin at 6:56PM, Aug. 24, 2007
(offline)
notlikelytocare
Leon Hyrulious

About 0.0000001% at least in my unit…
I dunno, what about you Penguin?

And to everybody.. Sorry about my unexplained absence from this thread, I've been busy with “other projects”.

~Notlikelytocare

Only time is during PT formation. Besides that, never.
notlikelytocare at 7:24AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
Leon Hyrulious

I cut mine off. The uniform as a whole is garbage. They last about 4 months tops in garrison. I can't imagine how long in combat. I had DCU's when I was deployed, and they were awesome.

One thing the ACUs have that I like? No more ironing!

They last approximately 5 minutes prior to you buying them….

And WOOT! NO IRONING!

Seriously… Starch is the Devil….
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:18PM
Ozoneocean at 8:24AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
How did you arrive in Iraq initially? (method of transport? how was the trip? :) )
Phantom Penguin at 8:59AM, Aug. 25, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
How did you arrive in Iraq initially? (method of transport? how was the trip? :) )

Took off in a c-130 from Germany, landed in Kuwait, drove into Iraq on HETs (they carry tanks).

The trip sucked because I hate flying, and the heat. And hell hath no fury like the Kuwaiti desert.
Ozoneocean at 8:11PM, Aug. 25, 2007
(online)
Ok, nice answer!
Two more questions:

1). What do you think of women serving in front-line combat positions? (infantry, driving tanks, flying attack helicopters etc…)
2). Would you ever consider becoming an officer?
Phantom Penguin at 8:33AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
Ok, nice answer!
Two more questions:

1). What do you think of women serving in front-line combat positions? (infantry, driving tanks, flying attack helicopters etc…)
2). Would you ever consider becoming an officer?

1) I think they should have any job they want in the military. If they are soldiers they should be able to fight if they so choose too.

2)No, only because offcier do way to much paper work.
Lord Shplane at 10:02AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(offline)
Is there a guy in your unit or whatever it's called who REALLY, REALLY annoys you? If so, what's the most annoying thing he's done? Also, has he put you or anyone else in danger?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon