Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Sneak Peak
anonymousposterchild at 7:45PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
DancingChaos
It's nothing to really freak out about. DD was made for people who want to upload their comics online, not to judge how pretty the layout is. Plus, Volte6 is trying to improve on things. You don't need to shoot him down like that.

This layout isn't bad at all. I can definately get used to it.

Except that usability and accessability are the main features OF a comic host. Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached, and even then doesn't load correctly in all browsers. Not only that, but as has been stated numerous times, even in the post directly above yours, the bugs from the previous system were not repaired and instead seem glossed over by the fact that we were given a shiny new interface that most people don't like.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
anonymousposterchild at 8:48PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
Hahaha.

Ozoneocean at 9:18PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
anonymousposterchild
Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached,
While all these criticisms are extremely valuable for the purposes of working out kinks in the new system, this load time thing is something I just don't get.
I'm way over here in Australia… I've cleared my cache…

One thing is that for some reason the ads almost never load, they just stay as grey blocks, so I'm guessing that if they DID, load times would slow… So perhaps it's not the page design that's at fault in that regard, but the ads for whatever reason?

I wouldn't be surprised, that's adversely affected us numerous times before in the past, and really needs going over extremely carefully since it has the possibility to impact the entire site with a force akin to a server error or minor hack. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
anonymousposterchild at 9:29PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
anonymousposterchild
Right now, on a lower tier highspeed connection, the main page takes several minutes to load if it isn't cached,
While all these criticisms are extremely valuable for the purposes of working out kinks in the new system, this load time thing is something I just don't get.
I'm way over here in Australia… I've cleared my cache…

One thing is that for some reason the ads almost never load, they just stay as grey blocks, so I'm guessing that if they DID, load times would slow… So perhaps it's not the page design that's at fault in that regard, but the ads for whatever reason?

I wouldn't be surprised, that's adversely affected us numerous times before in the past, and really needs going over extremely carefully since it has the possibility to impact the entire site with a force akin to a server error or minor hack. :(

Yes, I remember when the ad for whatever host DD was using went down for a while. I had to change my adblock settings to just make the damn site load past the top bar.
lefarce at 9:55PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
I hope they're still editing the thing, it would be a shame to have the site so unfinished much longer.

Also, I still think I would have much rather seen some bugs fixed than get a new template, but hey it's a free service so whatever.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
anonymousposterchild at 10:29PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
lefarce
I hope they're still editing the thing, it would be a shame to have the site so unfinished much longer.

Also, I still think I would have much rather seen some bugs fixed than get a new template, but hey it's a free service so whatever.

There's a homeless guy down at the bus station who throws cans at me, but riding the bus is free, so whatever.
Allan at 11:39PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
anonymousposterchild
Allan
crocty
Forum text too small.

Ok, press Ctrl and + –your font size increases. Problem solved for now.

Great, except that that's a dumb idea. I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

If you're using Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Content, and under Fonts/Colors press Advanced. Change your minimum font size to somewhere around 13-14. Problem solved for every site ever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
anonymousposterchild at 12:40AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
Allan
anonymousposterchild
Allan
crocty
Forum text too small.

Ok, press Ctrl and + –your font size increases. Problem solved for now.

Great, except that that's a dumb idea. I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

If you're using Firefox, go to Tools, Options, Content, and under Fonts/Colors press Advanced. Change your minimum font size to somewhere around 13-14. Problem solved for every site ever.

I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

I REPEAT: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S SHITTY DESIGN CHOICES.
killersteak at 12:45AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
Is Drunkduck playing the copycat to the Zuda website? It looks awfully similar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
Ozoneocean at 1:06AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
anonymousposterchild
The text isn't that small…

Why do you guys always get so angry about this stuff?
Allan at 1:16AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
Serious. I'm just trying to help you out with your problem, APC.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
crocty at 4:26AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
This sh–site isn't working in firefox.
The dropdowns won't work, the older profile videos won't load, I can't leave user comments, I can't add people as a friend, the comic descriptions won't work.
It was working before, so I don't know what's happened.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
Ozoneocean at 4:50AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
Cocty.

Change your name to crotchety NOW! lol!
I just tested ALL those things in firefox and not only do they work 100% perfectly, they all work fast too.

It's your own computer ;)
skoolmunkee at 4:54AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
I'm using firefox and all those things still work for me? (The hover-over descriptions seem to go astray pretty often though.) The only problem I had with the browser was something about the ads was locking Firefox up, so I blocked them, and so far things are ok.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
crocty at 4:56AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
But they work on internet explorer, and they worked a few days ago.
So I don't know what's stopping it from working.
EDIT - It's working now, and I can neither confirm nor deny whether it had anything to do with adblock plus…
:neenjah:
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
Ozoneocean at 4:59AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
There you go, both Skool and I got it working in Firefox no worries. Maybe it's the ads like Skool suggests, or maybe just a computer/browser problem. Firefox had an update a day or two ago…

Try clearing you cache anyway and see if that does anything.
crocty at 5:02AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
There you go, both Skool and I got it working in Firefox no worries. Maybe it's the ads like Skool suggests, or maybe just a computer/browser problem. Firefox had an update a day or two ago…

Try clearing you cache anyway and see if that does anything.
Yesh, it had something to do with ads.
>.<
PIT_FACE at 7:07AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
i'm still waiting for someone to get back to me about my bug problem.
i still have three other comics under the “mycomics” drop down, still dont have my own.
still dont have my favorites under the “MyFavorites” drop down.
and i havent heard a word about ANY of it.
still get logged out, but not AS much, but more then what it used to before this happened.

i've written to tech support and to Volte and have posted on this forum hoping to hear something and i havent gotten ANYTHING back from ANYONE.it's been 4 DAYS.

i realy do like this site and i'd hate for it to become an inconvenience.
if anyone has any other ideas who i could contact or what i could do, please say SOMETHING.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
SpANG at 9:05AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
PF, I made sure that volte knew about this the other day. At the time, he just didn't know why it was doing that. But he is aware. and I'm sure he'll fix it soon. He's not in the office on the weekend, though.

I'm pretty sure he's getting pummeled with PQ's, so don't take it personally if he hasn't responded yet.

As far as the problem goes, does your “My Account” take you to the right place? And as far as the Favs go, you can still pick them up in a comic page, right?

I'd check your browser settings for the log out problems. It's possible that browser settings may actually help everything.

Do you have more than one browser? What one are you using right now?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
killersteak at 9:10AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
PIT_FACE
i realy do like this site and i'd hate for it to become an inconvenience.
if anyone has any other ideas who i could contact or what i could do, please say SOMETHING.

Have you tried clearing your cookies?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
giovanni at 9:20AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
no one answered to my questions :
1. how do i view more of the updated comics?
2. how do i view more of the top comics?
3. how do i know the top comics updated?

thing i like:
comic description, its back from before, when the site was mostly white and yellow, so long ago. although now it can get you the wrong description

big image for comics

random comic collumn. i found a good comic thanks to that

things i don't like:
i have to wait for the correct comic description to pop-up to see what the comic name is
i see half the updated comic that i used to
I am the caid of my shoes and I control every toe-nail in it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
SpANG at 9:30AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
giovanni
no one answered to my questions :
1. how do i view more of the updated comics?
2. how do i view more of the top comics?
3. how do i know the top comics updated?
Wouldn't using “Browse” answer all those questions for you?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
AccoSpoot at 9:45AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
As far as the problem goes, does your “My Account” take you to the right place? And as far as the Favs go, you can still pick them up in a comic page, right?

I'd check your browser settings for the log out problems. It's possible that browser settings may actually help everything.

Do you have more than one browser? What one are you using right now?

I have the same problems as PF, so urm, yeah I can access My Account, and explore it pretty well, I had a problem updating my thumbnails but that's not really that important, I havn't yet used the fave system, so any bugs with it may be related to either before or after the change, dunno, ye'll have to ask PF for that, which you did, hrm, yeah.

I have no idea what you mean by Browser settings, I have very little actual Technical ability and I'm sure if I went tweaking settings and stuff I'd end up with a broked computer, I dunno if IE'll still work, all previous attempts have some up with a “Cannot find Server” thing, but right now I use BT Internet Browser, if that helps, yeah…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
PIT_FACE at 9:53AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
SpANG- allright, well thanks for checkin up on it! i rest a little easier knowing that he is aware of it.

as for “MyAccount” that does do everything that it's supposed to, so i'm doing everything through there. the drop menus are the only thing that's off. and i havent tried faving anything else so i'll give it a go.

as for the browser, i use Yahoo. i DID just change my provider a few weeks ago so that my be it. i'm realy not computer savy at all, so what would you reccomend i do with my settings?

Killersteak- no i havent. i realy dont know anything about cookies either.
but i've seen people mention it a few times in the thread, i should probably catch up on that then. any help you can give me on how to do it would be totaly cool.

i realise it'd kinda be fillin gup the topic with things that arent on topic, so if anyone wants lend a hand it's totaly cool if ya wanna PQ me or shoot me a link to look up er somethin.

again, thanks you guys.

EDIT:i tried faving and adding a friend and when i do, it already says that the comic or person is already added. it wont let me do it. i actualy think this was happening just a little before the site changed though.

AccoSpoot at 11:06AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
PIT_FACE
Snip

Dude, totally worked out our problem, cos we both use Yahoo! Browser, or a variant thereof (me, BT Yahoo Browser) I installed Firefox, and it works near perfectly (the occasional yellow bar, that, with all things considered, I think I can live with) but otherwise, I don't get logged out, I have my comics under my comics and yeah, it's pretty ossom, so, Firefox dude.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
anonymousposterchild at 11:20AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
Cocty.

Change your name to crotchety NOW! lol!
I just tested ALL those things in firefox and not only do they work 100% perfectly, they all work fast too.

It's your own computer ;)

Bad tester, no cookie.

What VERSIONS of firefox are you all using would be a more applicable thing to say here. Rather than just assume “Yeah, it works for me, everyone else is wrong”, try collecting more evidence.

Hell, it STILL doesn't render right in Opera.
PIT_FACE at 11:29AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
AccoSpoot
PIT_FACE
Snip

Dude, totally worked out our problem, cos we both use Yahoo! Browser, or a variant thereof (me, BT Yahoo Browser) I installed Firefox, and it works near perfectly (the occasional yellow bar, that, with all things considered, I think I can live with) but otherwise, I don't get logged out, I have my comics under my comics and yeah, it's pretty ossom, so, Firefox dude.

holy fuck! i'm jumpin on that right now then. thanks!

PIT_FACE at 11:50AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
FUCK YES! WE'RE GOLDEN! i downloaded netscape and it's just fine!

but it was the browser! good fuckin catch, AccoSpoot!

“get online with the rest of the world…tell em we know how to take these sons of bitches down.” cough! hack!hahaha!

7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 1:09PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
I liked it before when we could tell what rank the comics were.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
Lord Shplane at 1:10PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
anonymousposterchild
I shouldn't have to change browser settings to make reading some forums not give me a headache.

Yes to both.

Oz
The text isn't that small…

It's small enough to be annoying. And it's hard to see punctuation and such. I tend to use various types of punctuation to add emphasis to my posts, but now you can barely even see my commas and colons.

How hard can it possibly be to pump up the text size?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:44PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon