Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Sneak Peak
lefarce at 10:43AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
I meant more along the lines of people constantly addressing bugs and issues like the trophies and avatar system, etc, and how none of them ever seem to get fixed. It's a turn off for people. Sure the admins do a fine job letting Volte know of the issues, but seldom do the users see anything major done from it. As for the admins not doing much coding wise, that's well known to most of us, but new users have no idea, really.

And man do I agree on the team thing. I know Volte is a busy guy, between having a family, working on DD and Mr.Tiki. At this point it seems Platinum wants certain things done, and he has to put off other issues that users seem to want changed. It does allow him to give us benefits, like a new template, features, etc. But there are just as many users who are fed up or unimpressed when other things go unnoticed.

The fact that we're getting a whole new template that is designed to show off our comic's icons is a major plus though. Sure it's far from being perfect, but from what I'm seeing here, it doesn't seem like Volte did it for himself. After all, who benefits from having their icons plastered all over the page? :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:32PM
CORY at 11:14AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
lefarce
I meant more along the lines of people constantly addressing bugs and issues like the trophies and avatar system, etc, and how none of them ever seem to get fixed.

I remember when I was the first person to have a Flash Animation on my DD account.

…it didn't work.

I addressed the problem to Volte, it was fixed same-day.

Sometimes Volte is on it like hot sauce.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
crocty at 11:21AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
CORY
And this was…How long ago?
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
subcultured at 11:33AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
you guys bitch too much.

i would understand it if you guys paid platinum to keep your comics on DD. but it's a free service supported with ads and platinum money.

DD gives you free reign with most things you put on your comic page…even a paypal donation or project wonderful ads. a lot of webcomic sites won't let you do that.

how would you like if DD becomes a paid service because you don't like the ad placement. if you wanted to buy ad space would you buy it in a website where they hide the ads or place it in the bottom? no, that would be stupid.

i think volte should just shut down the whole site until the bugs are fixed.
not like you guys deserve better.
insulting DD and threatening to leave because of a few bugs.

oh here's an idea. if you don't like DD, make your own site.
then you can make it any color/format/text you want.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
crocty at 11:37AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
subcultured
Half the people in this thread were just owned.

Owned hard.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:50AM
SpANG at 12:15PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
I don't think caring about where you choose to put your comics is a bad thing necessarily. He all just need to exercise some patience and diplomacy. I know it's hard. But things will get better., You are being heard. ;)

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
lefarce at 12:20PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
subcultured
you guys bitch too much.

i would understand it if you guys paid platinum to keep your comics on DD. but it's a free service supported with ads and platinum money.

DD gives you free reign with most things you put on your comic page…even a paypal donation or project wonderful ads. a lot of webcomic sites won't let you do that.

how would you like if DD becomes a paid service because you don't like the ad placement. if you wanted to buy ad space would you buy it in a website where they hide the ads or place it in the bottom? no, that would be stupid.

That depends on what you define as bitching.

The layout of the site changing, or the fact that everyone would like to protest a free service? I can see that.

Bitching about numerous bugs (such as having my avatar switch between three or four I've uploaded for about a full week now) going unnoticed or fixed, things of that nature, well that's within people's full right. That obstructs the free service and causes unneeded headaches.

SpANG at 12:24PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
I've added the “to-do” list in this forum. Please check it out and help! Thanks guys!
Custard Trout at 12:25PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Someone, I think it was SpANG
He's the only guy doing it, and he's doing it between other things Platinum has him doing.

Holy shit, really? I knew the admins weren't, but I thought he'd have some kind of staff helping him (with a knob on the end). I hereby retract my two earlier comments. Is Platinum owned by his arch nemesis, who is trying to destroy Volte by working him to death?
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
lefarce at 12:30PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout
He's the only guy doing it, and he's doing it between other things Platinum has him doing.

Holy shit, really? I knew the admins weren't, but I thought he'd have some kind of staff helping him (with a knob on the end). I hereby retract my two earlier comments. Is Platinum owned by his arch nemesis, who is trying to destroy Volte by working him to death?

Actually the owner and Volte are good buddies, from what I was told. The thing is, Platinum isn't a huge company like Marvel or DC, or even a successful smaller company like Slave Labor. They're getting their legs in the industry slowly but surely, and as such they don't have the large work staff that a typical comic book publisher or multi-media company would need to run at it's fullest. It's like any new company, really. I don't think people seem to understand this quite yet.

SpANG at 12:38PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Custard Trout

It's just like any other boss/corporation when it comes to output. I'm sure a lot of you can relate. See, the thing is (at least from what I can speculate)- DD needs to stand on it's own, or it's not worth it to PS. Once you start pay-rolling more people, then you need to start making revenue. The ads help, but when you consider all that DD had to do to get Wizard World tables, plus the cost of a dedicated server and webspace for DD, it adds up and things need to be put on hold.
anonymousposterchild at 2:29PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
subcultured
you guys bitch too much.

Frankly, if it was handled right, I'd love it. I remember platinum service on the old DD which really didn't do a lot aside from net you some very meager extra storage space, more uploads per day and archiving. Here's something that could make a pay-tier GREAT on DD:

1. First off, it seems that there's a problem that DD didn't used to have. BMP pages. While these can be good for some things, it's a bit of an annoyance. Mostly because BMP files are HUUUUOOOUUUUGE. It's not fun to randomly click into a comic and watch as my connection tries to load a giant bitmap file. Filesize limits on unpaid accounts, increased file size on the premium accounts.

2. Page DIMENSION limits. This is more to cull the stupid going on though. There are a lot of comics on DD where I'll click into them and I'll have to scroll just to read a panel. No joke. Even sticking a simple PHP script in there to resize them on upload would be nice. I browse at 1280x1024 on most computers, and occasionally I span between two monitors. Only in the second case do I not have to scroll.

3. No ads. ‘Nuff said.

4. This isn’t really a pay feature, but that splastk flash thing on the side is annoying as hell. Maybe the option to remove that from the layout. I would pay for that.

5. Not a pay option, but an easy way for users to submit games. Looks like you have to directly contact somebody. Seriously. I think Monkey Deathbot Roundup and Cat! are actually old enough to vote now.

These are features that I would PAY for. The best parts are the rest of the site can be free and the people who can't figure out how to scale an image/save as a jpeg don't gobble up bandwidth.

Also, on the games page, the links on my sidebar turn red. Fix it. Fixitfixitfixitfixitfixit.

–edit–

Case in point, from the latest featured comic:
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
Allan at 3:48PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is when you rollover the images on the front page, maybe a date on there saying “Last Updated: 1/1/08” or something. That way you can tell how new it is.

Or an option for that, maybe, if some people want to be surprised.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Orange at 3:53PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
When I enlarged the font size like some people suggested, I was clicking on the thread to thank them…but then this happened.
here ya go…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Allan at 4:08PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Orange
When I enlarged the font size like some people suggested, I was clicking on the thread to thank them…but then this happened.
here ya go…

I'd suggest switching to Firefox, not just because that won't be one of your problems, but you'll be a lot cooler automatically.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 4:19PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
subcultured
you guys bitch too much.

Thank you! My point exactly.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Ozoneocean at 5:09PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
anonymousposterchild
I really wish people would learn about file formats on the web… bloody PNG noobs… -_-

I agree, 100%, the limit on images should be around 400k.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
Steely Gaze at 5:10PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
I know I said I wasn't going to post here again, but I just have to say a big, huge thank you to SpANG for his excellent thread on things to improve or at least consider changing. It's wonderful, and I think it's all any of us could hope to ask for right now. At least is shows that some people care enough to listen. Thank you.

I just didn't want to post in there saying how awesome it was ‘cause that’d clutter it and this thread is already a mess. ;)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
anonymousposterchild at 5:11PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
anonymousposterchild
I really wish people would learn about file formats on the web… bloody PNG noobs… -_-

I agree, 100%, the limit on images should be around 400k.

Should be pointed out that there should be a larger size limit for flash pages though. 1mb isn't exactly a hell of a lot of space.
burmundy at 8:44PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
If I had only one thing to ask for, it would be for the news to be reinstalled. It's like having someone greeting you at the front door seeing it there, and I miss skoolmunkee's jumping boxing monkey…

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Ozoneocean at 10:48PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
anonymousposterchild
Should be pointed out that there should be a larger size limit for flash pages though. 1mb isn't exactly a hell of a lot of space.
Obviously ^_^
st4rdog at 8:57AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
It would be nice if the design could move into the year 2008, instead of 1999.

Get rid of every table, apart from tabular data such as league tables etc. Use divs/css only.

Doing this would:

1. Make the site faster to load.
2. Make it easier to update and add/remove new parts.
3. Allow multiple layouts, and infact allow people to make their own CSS files to change the layout to however they want it, just by editing the CSS. Therefore fewer complaints - http://www.csszengarden.com (1 HTML code = 1000's of different layouts just be editing the CSS).

You should've had a community contest or something. Or better yet, pay a few hundred $ for a proper layout from web designers. Find some here - http://cssmania.com

I'd also like to see the bar above comic pages completely updated since it doesn't look nice.

The gray bar underneath comic images also looks horrible with pretty much any design you make. I wish these type of things were customisable.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
Ozoneocean at 9:08AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
That's not so much a helpful suggestion as an idealogical one… lol!
Faster loading? Um… With all the images, the minuscule differences in loading times between css and tables are irrelevant.

Personal customisable looks would be great though. :)
We'll see if that ever happens here.
JustNoPoint at 1:52PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
The only tab that stays open at the moment is the DD Cam o_O And It won't close back up now :cry:

Can we switch that with the My Favorites and My Comics tabs please?

With the DD Cam always on I now know Jesus is watching me AND Vice Versa!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Cthulhu at 1:57PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
JustNoPoint
The only tab that stays open at the moment is the DD Cam o_O And It won't close back up now :cry:
That's not DrunkDuck, you're computer is just slow. ;)

My computer is pretty powerful, and I haven't even noticed that the new layout slows everything down. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
JustNoPoint at 2:09PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
No I mean the DD Cam stays open now. Even when I go to different areas of the site. Or even if I close out my browser. The DD Cam tab stays open. I can close it but it opens back up on my next click somewhere.

I would much prefer my favorites and my comics to do this.

And since I read about that adblock and tried it DD is MUCH faster.
usedbooks at 2:11PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
JustNoPoint
Can we switch that with the My Favorites and My Comics tabs please?
Agreed. I don't like that tab defaulted to open. I don't really care to see it (webcams hold no interest for me), and if I want to, I can open it myself. I'd much rather MyFavorites and MyComics be open by default and the Cam closed.

At the moment, they are all in the least sensible default conditions.

(Even better would be if they stayed the way you left them while you navigate to different pages in the site. :) )
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
anonymousposterchild at 2:35PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
Okay, seriously, there's a limit to how much flash you should have on the main page. Now we've got two flash ads, the splastk player AND a stickam app. This is getting retarded.
mlai at 2:48PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
What is this zoo-cam featuring Jesus and why is it the only tab that stays open and refuses to close? It's funny the 1st 50 times, but now I'm just slightly annoyed.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
JustNoPoint at 3:42PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Thank you for hiding the DD Cam :)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon