Comic Talk and General Discussion *

the world of action
RentAThug at 6:44PM, July 12, 2008
(online)
I like a lot of different kinds of action, but the more I think about it the more I'm realizing that I like action sequences that aren't just one big battle between two people. If two guys get in a fight, I tend to prefer if somebody goes down after a couple of shots instead of a long battle that basically equates to throwing super-powers at each other.

I like military action, if it's done well. Advancing through cover, flanking, cover fire, all that stuff. One guy charging through a field of machine-gun fire doesn't really do anything for me, but the tension of knowing that if a character pokes his head up at the wrong moment he might not come back down with it can make for a fantastic sequence. It doesn't have to be military, though, I like gun-fights in general.

I'm not especially fond of the over-the-top martial arts fights that have been popular lately. I miss the brawls of the old John Wayne westerns, where opportunism and a right hook were what won the fight.

Crime Pays, updating Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
that kid yellow at 9:47PM, July 13, 2008
(online)
straight up kung fu actions bone crushing combo and samurai sword slashing…….gun fignts are cool too
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
JustNoPoint at 4:54AM, July 14, 2008
(online)
That Kid Yellow

Check this comic out. I think it's got everything you could possibly want in action!

http://www.drunkduck.com/Hexagon_Death_Squad/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
worstcase at 8:13PM, July 14, 2008
(online)
I love all the fighting that took place during the Napoleonic Wars. If you have ever seen the Richard Sharpe series on BBC, its fantastic. The books are even better.
Horatio Hornblower is good too. My Kind of Hero is one that has a rifle and knows how to shoot it!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
that kid yellow at 9:56PM, July 18, 2008
(online)
im kinda bored of watching fights in the sky
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
bravo1102 at 7:14AM, July 20, 2008
(offline)
that kid yellow
im kinda bored of watching fights in the sky

I'm kinda tired of wire-fu myself but battles in the sky are awesome. Not wire-fu but like the movies Battle of Britain or Memphis Belle

worstcase
I love all the fighting that took place during the Napoleonic Wars. If you have ever seen the Richard Sharpe series on BBC, its fantastic. The books are even better.
Horatio Hornblower is good too. My Kind of Hero is one that has a rifle and knows how to shoot it!

At last someone else around here who likes Sharpe and Hornblower. I've also seen the movie Waterloo 100+ times. Not the Napoleonic wars but the same type of action: Gettysburg, Charge of the Light Brigade (1968)that also capture the spirit and action of 19th Century combat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Ozoneocean at 5:16AM, July 21, 2008
(online)
worstcase
Flashman is my 19thC hero ^_^
He SO bad >:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Faliat at 5:34PM, Aug. 5, 2008
(offline)
I don't like action being too rigid.

Unless it's Capoera, fighting and dancing are very separate. With dancing you're much more in control. You don't know what somebody could pull on you in a fight.

There's plenty of times when I'm just sitting watching something. And somebody has an opening to strike but instead does some fancy swirling around. In a flash the suspense is gone and all you're left with is frustration.

That's what makes that scene from Indiana Jones where the guy swirls his swords about before getting shot down is so enjoyable.

No messing around. Every movement has a purpose. Unless you're just being arrogant or a show off. Then you deserve to lose a limb or two.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon