Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Is this place alive?
Beep Beep at 11:52PM, April 20, 2014
(offline)
I got directed here because I was told it's a lively, unique sort of place with good criticism. But it seems sort of half dead on the forums. Any reason for this, or am I seeing things wrong here?
JoeL_CQB at 1:06PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
I think it was something to do with the site moving servers. I'm not really sure, but you would have to ask ozoneocean about that.
i was inactive during that time though, so I can't really say.
HippieVan at 1:32PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
The forums are pretty dead right now, but the site as a whole is still very much alive I think. :)

We had an extended period a while back when the site was down. Then when it came back we no longer had the original URL that most people had used. Now we've got the URL back and everything is dandy (or at least no worse than before the crash, lol) but we definitely lost a lot of people - especially a lot of forum regulars - during that time. More control of the site is in community hands now that it's back up, so we're doing our best to reinvigorate it.

Of course, the only way to get the forums going again is more people posting so…welcome!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
El Cid at 6:08PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
This place is not alive. We are the Drunkduck Undead!
Gunwallace at 8:16PM, April 21, 2014
(offline)
El Cid wrote:
This place is not alive. We are the Drunkduck Undead!
Frames! Frames! Zombie want frames!
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 8:20PM, April 21, 2014
(online)
Hi Beep Beep.
The place isn't dead. It's taken same heavy hits though… but like a bleary eyed heavyweight, we refuse to stay down, no matter how bad the braindamage we suffer. ^_^
usedbooks at 2:51PM, April 23, 2014
(online)
I'm here. :) Can't say I'm ever particularly lively, but I can confirm that I exist and often have a pulse.
bravo1102 at 1:08PM, April 24, 2014
(offline)
Like Tinkerbell this site needs all of us to clap and believe in fairies. As long as we do it'll live. We stop believing and it's dead.

And I gotta say with those wings and that short skirt Tinkerbell is just too hawt to let die!
TheTanman at 10:37PM, April 26, 2014
(offline)
I'd like to think this site is still alive, yet no one I remember is here :(
Beep Beep at 6:11AM, April 27, 2014
(offline)
Well, I can only hope I get some work as an artist on here. The PM system on this site is really unresponsive. I don't know if people are ignoring my messages or simply don't know they have them, because there is zero alert for me when I get a message on here.
HippieVan at 2:22PM, April 27, 2014
(online)
Beep Beep wrote:
Well, I can only hope I get some work as an artist on here. The PM system on this site is really unresponsive. I don't know if people are ignoring my messages or simply don't know they have them, because there is zero alert for me when I get a message on here.
Yeah, that's a big problem here honestly. If I remember correctly it was intentional…the person/people who redesigned the site a couple years ago didn't like the alerts, so got rid of them despite our protests. Some people (like me) just check their PQs regularly, but it's a good idea to exchange email addresses or another way of contact with someone.
Beep Beep at 6:02PM, April 27, 2014
(offline)
HippieVan wrote:
Beep Beep wrote:
Yeah, that's a big problem here honestly. If I remember correctly it was intentional…the person/people who redesigned the site a couple years ago didn't like the alerts, so got rid of them despite our protests. Some people (like me) just check their PQs regularly, but it's a good idea to exchange email addresses or another way of contact with someone.
It seems like a huge problem. Shouldn't, at some point, someone pay to fix that, get a redesign done? Maybe you could have some sort of fundraiser or something. Or make an announcement looking for coders?
JoeL_CQB at 6:17PM, April 27, 2014
(online)
Beep Beep wrote:
honestly, you would have better luck working as an artist on other forums. like deviantart, cgsociety or conceptart.org
I haven't checked the imagine fx forums, but that may be a place to check.
not trying to shoo you away from the duck. :P
second best thing is to just work on your own stuff.
Amelius at 12:06PM, April 29, 2014
(offline)
Nah it wasn't that they didn't like the PQ alerts, it was that the alerts were *somehow* crashing the site and therefore were disabled. It was supposed to come back when they fixed the code that was making the site crash, but it's something that simply never got fixed because it was less bother to leave it as-is forever than to fix any dang thing.

It was HTML customization they objected to, and replaced that with the rather bare-bones customization options. They justified it by saying that our project wonderful ads were possibly bringing viruses to the site, so they got an ad network that brought viruses to the site! ◉‿◉

Ozoneocean at 1:31AM, April 30, 2014
(online)
The PQ notifications in the panel on the righthand side were the site crashers- Lawrence disabled those “temporarily”… T_T
The message alert popup was what Joel was reffering to. That was removed from the redesign of the site because Kinh (Wowio DD guy) thought they were anoying.

The ads, no HTML customisation, no project wonderful etc… yeah. ALL horrific.
That part of the design was all lead by wowio's people. We could offer suggestions but they were in charge. It should definitely have been the other way around, with US leading any redesign and THEIR stupid ideas on the backburner.
They might have owned the site but it's the creators that make it, without them it's dead. Their mistake was thinking of them last.
Amelius at 12:26PM, April 30, 2014
(offline)
Ohhh, the popup! I had completely forgotten about those! (^ ‿ ^)

Oh yeah I know, a lot of lip service and “That idea is great! That's why we're doing something counterintuitive instead” went into this site to make it the way it is today. (ʘ﹏ʘ)

Absolutely agree with you on that last point too, we tried to make this clear to them as they were obviously not understanding how webcomics and communities work…

Ozoneocean at 9:25PM, May 2, 2014
(online)
Must do another interview with you soon Amy!
DarioCOMICS at 11:37PM, May 18, 2014
(online)
definetly long past dead^^….
Genejoke at 10:54AM, May 22, 2014
(online)
I think to get this place more alive we need to make more effort in collabrative threads. A lot of us are still posting so why not use the promotional threads more. give each other more in the way of reach arounds.
HippieVan at 3:43PM, May 22, 2014
(online)
Genejoke wrote:
I think to get this place more alive we need to make more effort in collabrative threads. A lot of us are still posting so why not use the promotional threads more. give each other more in the way of reach arounds.
O.o at that last bit.

Seriously though, I'm not quite sure what you mean. What are promotional threads?
Ozoneocean at 9:55PM, May 22, 2014
(online)
There are threads in the comic promotion forum that are… "Comment on the last person's update before posting something about your own.
They're ok but can be a bit of a conga line I feel. It's a good idea though and they are mostly self sustating. One in the general forum could be good.
Genejoke at 2:00AM, May 23, 2014
(online)
Well conga linish they maybe, but it is activity. I found that when this place was sctive many of the comics I commented on, even if not to my initial tastes, I ended up getting into and subscribing to.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon