Comic Talk and General Discussion *

DD's Q&A Session
Terminal at 8:53PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Hmm, a question that revolves around me (wow, self-centered much?) Which would you rather call me by, my standard DrunkDuck account name Terminal (Which I have used on DrunkDuck for a long time) or Myxomatosis? (a name I just got out of nowhere early-late this year last.)

And, is anyone here a slacker?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
thegreatjoebivins at 9:42PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Terminal
Hmm, a question that revolves around me (wow, self-centered much?) Which would you rather call me by, my standard DrunkDuck account name Terminal (Which I have used on DrunkDuck for a long time) or Myxomatosis? (a name I just got out of nowhere early-late this year last.)

Yes, I think many of us are slackers. I know I a…I'm sorry, I'm so lazy I can't even finish that sentence.

I prefer not to address people directly by usernames, real names, or nicknames. I also try to keep my pronouns unisex, as it's sometimes difficult to divine gender from usernames and avatar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:19PM
Red Slayer at 10:01PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
Terminal
Yes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
skoolmunkee at 12:44AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Terminal

Sadly I slack far too often.

Also, I'm used to Terminal now. :) Also it goes with the whole airport thing…
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
AQua_ng at 1:12AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Yeah, same. Ask me a month earlier and I would have gone with Myxo.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
AQua_ng at 1:16AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Kxela
I'm Japanese AND Korean, but not CHinese ^^;
under 25 (19)

and despite the androgenous real name and username(?)
I am not a female

….how many of you can Dance?

I can moonwalk and I can bodypop a bit.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:55AM
hartchamber at 4:56AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
hmmm…can i remember some of the questions
no- cuz i really am reeling in those years-47 in a month
no i cant dance.
i dont know much about australia(desert, kangaroos,and eddie campbell), new zealand(sheep)and canada(english/french, for better or worse-best comic ever) except the image of maple sugar maple leaf candy popped into my head that might be subliminal because of the canada flag because the candy always cme from my gram who lived in vermont. hard candy especially ribbon candy for xmas seems to get harder to find each year. i blame the dentists for that. i love chocolate- the darker the better.
i'm japanese/white. i dont know the language because we lived in the us and back in the 60's/70's you only spoke english. I like living here now because you can be both now. I'm planning a trip to japan with my sister next year or two- we've never been there. i'm looking forward to that.
last i looked, i was female.
i like both strips and stories- they both require different strengths from tne creator.

and now my question…
what would you do if you couldnt draw?

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Aurora Moon at 4:58AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
ozoneocean
-I've got fast cable too, but comon forum courtesty calls for small file size on trivial image files.

So, we've got one vote for 200K from Rich, and one vote for 40 megabite avatars from Aurora… 40 meg? seriously…? My whole Pinky TA series (excluding the movies) only gets to 10 meg… Wow, one avatar 4 times the size of my archive… o_O

whoops. I meant 40k, not kbs.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Aurora Moon at 4:59AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
hartchamber
and now my question…

I'd write. which I do now too anyway.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
Rich at 5:07AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
hartchamber
and now my question…

I was a writer long before I was a comicker. Of course, my current project is awefully ambitious (Equinox, except it's set to be 9 novels long with a predicted 300-800 pages per book).

My question now:

What do you people do for a living?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Tantz_Aerine at 6:00AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Female here, too ;) (or not NOT female…?) I like everything sweet- and sometimes rich, though not necessarily… I can dance… I don't play online, though I did use to role play in chat rooms that have long since gone extinct… am definitely over 25. Greek-Canadian.

I have a story comic going, not a strip, but I think both types simply rock if the artist is good enough ;) If I couldn't draw, I would write much more.

I teach/educate teachers and write novels for a living, and my degree is on educational psychology.

Okay, my questions, two of them:

1. Anyone Greek out there? Or living in Greece, or having lived there?

2. What do you find potentially inspiring, and inspiring what?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
skoolmunkee at 6:11AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Tantz Aerine
I teach/educate teachers and write novels for a living, and my degree is on educational psychology.

Hello educational cousin, mine's in educational technology and I'm an instructional designer. :)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
thegreatjoebivins at 6:29AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
hartchamber
and now my question…

I pretty much can't draw as it is, but that doesn't stop me from having a buttload of webcomics. I don't have the energy to write fiction right now…I find it easier to tell stories in a comic medium anyway, and unlike film (the other thing I write) I can incorporate all the things I like about writing books into comics (constant narration is hard in film).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:19PM
Vaoni at 6:47AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
BigFishComic
Going off of the chinese thing…who's white here?

I am, little white english girl.

hartchamber
and now my question…

same thing as others have said, probably write, then get others to make concept designs for my ideas to turn them into films and such.
But seeing as how i can draw, will be doing that all myself. oh boy.

Rich
My question now:

I study at a University College (yea they call themselves that) for Art & Design. Doing a foundation course, will move on to do a degree in animation or film making after that.
Other than uni/college, i work at a cinema during weekends, and pretty much just sleep during any time i have to myself.

- Updated! 1.10.06
“You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? ”Hey man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
Ferretshark at 8:39AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Rich
My question now:

I'm a drawing instructor and a published illustrator, despite the fact my college training and several years of applied practice is in animation.

Working on two things:

1….with a fellow animator on a comic book collaboration based on a concept of mine. I'm writing the story, lettering, and illustrating the backgrounds while he is doing the character posing for each panel. Fun gig and work-in-progress. No deadlines or pressure. Muchos cool-os!

2….for a plastic surgeon providing medical illustrations for several of his industry's print media. I'm drawing finger-tendon reconstruction at the moment, not that that sounds interesting to anyone here, lol. He provides me with really grotesque photos of operations while I translate them into eye-friendly illustrations. He also lets me in on some of the operations while he performs them (because he knows I have a strong stomach).

Past vocational exploits includes (in random order): Security, tech support agent at a call centre, lots of blue collar (i.e labor) work in my 20s and 30s (I'm 42 now), animator for a few companies, armour car driver/guard, maintenance worker, ummmmmm…can't remember what else, but I did quite a few things since high school.

NEXT!

Ferretshark
Animator/published illustrator
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
Mister Spook at 8:45AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Whoa, my first post since the great forum shift… or whatever.

Let's see here.

Male, yup.

Currently aging my way out of my 25th year with all the fury I can muster. Currently I'm teaching Composition at a certain Illinois University as I earn my Master's Degree in American/British Literature (sorry, apparently Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland just don't hack it). I done drawed and hope to draw a little strip called “Slither and Friends” that got its internet start here on DD back in the Summer of ‘04. If I weren’t so hella busy, I might update!

Uh, not Chinese or anything… just plain ole Caucasian.

That's about it. How'd I do? Did I miss anything?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Tantz_Aerine at 11:46AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
Hello educational cousin, mine's in educational technology and I'm an instructional designer. :)

That sounds very interesting!… but what does being an instructional designer entail?
BigFishComic at 2:15PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Terminal
Which would you rather call me by?

I still prefer myxomatosis just because that is who you were when I appeared 3 or 4 months ago. I don't know this new you, this Terminal. But whatever, I'll get used to it.

I always thought of myself as a slacker but I'm pretty productive for a slacker…

Rich

I'm a bank teller and I hate all you annoying bastards that come up the window before I call you up, are completely unprepared, and throw your driver's license at me. Don't wink at me either. I never understand why people wink at me. It's not even sexual, it's just a conspiratorial wink.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Ozoneocean at 2:23PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
BigFishComic
It's not even sexual, it's just a conspiratorial wink.
Would you prefer a sexual wink?
Myxo is better. Terminal sounds somehow… I dunno… somehow so final.

Ha ha
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:24PM
Generic Human at 6:55PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Rich
hartchamber
and now my question…

I would explode. Not really, I would probably try to find another outlet. I would work harder to understand programs like 3D Studio or something like that.

I work at an Ice Rink coaching learn to skate hockey, skate guarding, and stuff like that. Although I wouldn't consider it to make a living… Once I get paid, however, I enjoy taking all my money out of my account in forms of ones and fives and throwing them up in the air and dancing a shower of hard earned cash. But not really. …but really.

Question: Who here uses a tablet for lineart?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
Rich at 7:23PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Generic Human
Question: Who here uses a tablet for lineart?

I literally CAN NOT use my tablet for inking the lineart on EMD!. The technique I use to ink it is far more efficient when done with a mouse. However, the way I do my backgrounds gives my tablet plenty of use despite the fact it's aweful for lineart.

Also, I occasionally ink drawings in flash using the tablet. Only occasionally though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Aurora Moon at 7:48PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
I use my tablet a lot for line art and other things.

and yes, I slack off at times.
Red Slayer at 10:18PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
If everything goes well next week, video editing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Aurora Moon at 12:00AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
I'm a college student now, so I don't really do anything for an living.
skoolmunkee at 2:39AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(offline)
Tantz Aerine
skoolmunkee

That sounds very interesting!… but what does being an instructional designer entail?

It depends on your workplace's definition of instructional designer, haha. :) For most places it means that you're the pedagogical expert on lesson design, etc - start with needs assessment, move to objectives, and then the whole process to ensure that everything links back to those objectives and how well your learners are meeting them. There's other things too, such as knowing how to put together a good assessment (even multiple-choice questions have good ways and bad ways to write them), meeting different learning styles, etc.

My specialty is more in e-learning, so I advise about the pedagogical stuff, and also how that changes in an online setting. There are different concerns with online learning and face-to-face learning. We also get to mess about with new technologies and try to figure out ways to promote ‘active learning’ (rather than just reading loads of text on a screen and writing loads of text in return). It can get pretty interesting. :)

Also I've just answered RedSlayer's question!

My question: Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend? (If you're doing something boring I don't want to hear about it.) I am going to a used bookstore, and going to wash the walls to prepare for painting them, and going to try to build my own lightbox!
IT'S OLD BATMAN
Tantz_Aerine at 6:40AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
My specialty is more in e-learning, so I advise about the pedagogical stuff, and also how that changes in an online setting. There are different concerns with online learning and face-to-face learning. We also get to mess about with new technologies and try to figure out ways to promote ‘active learning’ (rather than just reading loads of text on a screen and writing loads of text in return). It can get pretty interesting. :)

My question: Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend? (If you're doing something boring I don't want to hear about it.) I am going to a used bookstore, and going to wash the walls to prepare for painting them, and going to try to build my own lightbox!

Then, in a sense, I could say that we are colleagues at some areas (the curriculi and class management and lesson plans- I teach how to do those)! But e-learning sounds very exciting. We had tried to ease teachers into the idea, but here in Greece e-learning is not even in its infancy- one would say it's still embryonic or even a zygote -_-… I would though love to hear more details about what you do and what would be required of a school nowdays (so any URL you can point me towards or anything else, I would be greatful).

And, interesting things to do this weekend: we are going walking and having a picnic right underneath the Acropolis in Athens, looking for some really old cheesy teenager serial stories of the 1950s in a bookstore we discovered last weekend, and celebrating my father's birthday with a scandalously indulgent cake… mwe hehehe!

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon