MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
leaderofstars at 9:26AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
i choose the international dateline because it is completely neutral and doesn't pass through any country
i love being a evil genius. my evil genius code
GTsytVhw+:+d–a1990SA$–p80e100e–iq106ee–NH-:-Lutc -6
read the only true random comic on the duck

power to the offspring
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Hakoshen at 9:41AM, March 20, 2009
(offline)
Well, looks like we're all decided then. The IDL is on the line of the GMT time zone I think, so we're all more or less agreeing on the same thing. Right?

Really, I only nominate GMT because the army decides its global operations tables off of it. Heck, I WISH I could make you all submit to CST +6, but it's best to pick something that's already an international standard. So you Brits get off lucky. Plus, days will begin and end during my lunch time, and not world of warcraft raid time!
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
leaderofstars at 10:07AM, March 20, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Well, looks like we're all decided then. The IDL is on the line of the GMT time zone I think, so we're all more or less agreeing on the same thing. Right?

Really, I only nominate GMT because the army decides its global operations tables off of it. Heck, I WISH I could make you all submit to CST +6, but it's best to pick something that's already an international standard. So you Brits get off lucky. Plus, days will begin and end during my lunch time, and not world of warcraft raid time!
no the idl is gmt-12

the gmt line itself runs over africa

power to the offspring
Dukat at 11:48AM, March 20, 2009
(offline)
Honestly I prefer UTC (which is what I think you're all thinking of when you say GMT or Zulu) in order to do so, folks have to remember to account for daylight savings. Right now EDT is UTC-4 not -5 as EST is.

Accuracy through Science!
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

irc.freenode.net #dd-mafia

Drunk Duck Mafia GM list
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Hakoshen at 11:53AM, March 20, 2009
(offline)
Ah. My mistake.

But still, I'm going to side with the GMT, since it better corresponds to my schedule and it's what the rest of the world bases its timezones off of.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
leaderofstars at 1:46PM, March 20, 2009
(online)
*breaths fire on a car*

i'm mad

power to the offspring
Niccea at 7:21AM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Roles that should never be repeated:

Time Mage - Well I don't know the real name but this person can speed up the day cycles and call an end to them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Hakoshen at 6:11PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Instead of making a new comic myself to host them, day 1 and night 1 are here whenever you want to get them.

-Harkovast
Aghammer at 6:29PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Hak, I love your panel work! And Crocty cracks me up… probably better looking than the original (kidding, just kidding).

Hakoshen
Instead of making a new comic myself to host them, day 1 and night 1 are here whenever you want to get them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
crocty at 6:41PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Oh that is awesome!
Should I post it up on the comic now? Or let Niccea do it?…
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
Niccea at 6:50PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
I'm here right now. I'll do it. Thanks for the help guys.
crocty at 6:53PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
Okie dokie.
So is tomorrow when you pick up the comic again?
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
Niccea at 7:00PM, March 21, 2009
(offline)
crocty
Okie dokie.
:nod: Yeppers. I'll pick up with Day Two. Thanks again. Don't hesitate to send in junk though. The comic is now at 79 pages. 75 came and went rather quickly.
Aghammer at 4:37PM, March 24, 2009
(offline)
One thing that Nic did when GMing, that I thought was very helpful was list who was voted to lynch whom. That way it was clear if someone was talking smack… as in, oh, don't lynch person, they are clearly innocent and then voting to lynch the same person. That left a gaping hole in M4.

Niccea
crocty
Okie dokie.
:nod: Yeppers. I'll pick up with Day Two. Thanks again. Don't hesitate to send in junk though. The comic is now at 79 pages. 75 came and went rather quickly.
Ozoneocean at 5:46AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
I agree with the NOT speeding up time thing. Times should be 100% fixed and imovable.

I also agree with GMT. It's totally neutral and easy to base off. All those other systems are a massive pain in the arse.
Aghammer
One thing that Nic did when GMing, that I thought was very helpful was list who was voted to lynch whom. That way it was clear if someone was talking smack… as in, oh, don't lynch person, they are clearly innocent and then voting to lynch the same person. That left a gaping hole in M4.
If you think I did that with Blitz, think again. I voted solidly for PP until Harkovast kept PQing me about PP being innocent, and Crocty kept telling me in PQs that PP was innocent too, so I change my vote to myself and kept it there.
I don't know if Barron posted that on the final lynch, but I PQed it to him at least twice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Niccea at 5:56AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Well. If we do get off USA based times, expect me to be confused for a bit. I'm horrible at arithmatic and time.
Product Placement at 7:34AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
Hmm… GMT is neutral, sure, but another good candidate is the timezone that the Drunk Duck server is based at. If I read a post stating that lynching takes place at 5 and I see that the freshest post is posted at 3 then I know it's about 2 hours from then. Then again, I'd be all up for the GMT schedule for a selfish reasons because my country runs through that timezone.

But since I'm not in game anymore then I guess it doesn't matter for me that much.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Niccea at 7:38AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
What time dow the DD run off of? I thought it was just in accordance to one's time zone.
Product Placement at 7:44AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
I'm guessing yours since you thought that. The Drunk duck clock is about 5 hours off on my end.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 7:53AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Then the clock runs on CST. The same time that Red is running his game on.
Ozoneocean at 8:00AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
Aughhh, nooo, I HATE DD time T_T

GMT is so obvious. It's listed on everyone's computer in the clock and it's super easy to work out

if you're +8 GMT like me you just take off 8 hours to work it out and it you're -5 or -8 GMT or whatever DD is you just ADD that number. That's all so easy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Niccea at 8:15AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
I also think that, if possible, the narratives should be released at the same time in every game. (Of course I know it isn't always possible.) This would help the game transitions be easier. I remember going what the hell? When I saw Red's because all he said that narratives would be released at 4 in his time. He left no indicator as to the time.

I know that it sounds I am ragging on him a lot, but I rag on everyone equally.

Just so Red doesn't think I'm attacking him. I'll rate all the GMs of the past.

BK: Clues were too obvious. Surprise serial killer pissed me off.

Humorman: Took clues from what was said only. This was hard to to trace back because of the amount of pages the game gets in a day. Also used the same times, but changed the time zone. This confused me. I also didn't like how he carried out timing and didn't give the paranoid a chance to lash out if two people attacked him. By all rights I should have been dead in the game.

Mine: I can't count. I might have been a bit biased in actions in retrospect. But I couldn't have been too biased if I gave the Mafia the win. My narratives might have been insane. I don't know how my clues were because I knew what to look for.
the2ndredbaron at 8:40AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
I say around four, because I usually go into work at five. And I have left both the time zone and what time it is for me, like 10:39, just saying.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Niccea at 9:05AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Skool and I have been talking just a little bit. And I kinda agree with her on this one…damn my brain shutting down…let me try on this and just hack through my explaining.

It seems that some people are being disgruntled about some of the GMs. This disgruntlement does not occur usually until the narrative for the first day is released.

Now in the site I came from, potential GMs posted up their rules along with a sample of their narrative and some possible situations in the games. Then they were elected.

I don't think election needs to be necessary, but I think from this point on, GMs should post up samples of what scenarios would look like in the game. (Much like BK did in hers) this way, we know what we are getting into before we sign up.

Also I would recommend that new GMs should have at lease played two games before signing up (Not a problem right now really.)
Aghammer at 9:32AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Actually, I wasn't thinking of you… I fully believe you voted for yourself :) I just thought it was one of the things that Nic did that was helpful. We didn't even get a count… just the name of the person lynched!

I've only played the two games so I don't know how this was handled in M1 or 2.

Also, I agree with using GMT time. Or every GM can post times in EST, cause that's my timezone… ha. One of those.

ozoneocean
I agree with the NOT speeding up time thing. Times should be 100% fixed and imovable.

I also agree with GMT. It's totally neutral and easy to base off. All those other systems are a massive pain in the arse.
Aghammer
If you think I did that with Blitz, think again. I voted solidly for PP until Harkovast kept PQing me about PP being innocent, and Crocty kept telling me in PQs that PP was innocent too, so I change my vote to myself and kept it there.
I don't know if Barron posted that on the final lynch, but I PQed it to him at least twice.
crocty at 9:34AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
BK: Clues were too obvious. Surprise serial killer pissed me off.
Clues are always obvious when you know who they point to. :P I remember thinking how lucky I was that noone got that sleep clue in Humorman's game.

Also a small suggestion: Change the name of the regular townies, and regular mafias. It's hard to explain your roles by saying “I'm townie” or “I'm mafia”…

And yeah, the paranoid needs to switch back, but I liked the role of the paranoid, maybe make a new role for Baron's version of the paranoid?

I think there was something else, but I can't say much without revealing stuff that isn't publicly known in the game.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Niccea at 9:37AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
The paranoid had the functional role of slowing the mafia down. The wouldn't lash out too much in fear of hitting the paranoid.

Barons description sounded like one of those creepy people that hang out in vans with listening equipment.

I mean BK literally quoted the Odyssey and any clue that pointed to me always had bread in it.

Was thinking of the mafia/townie thing too. I just couldn't think of a name. I think I could have said Mafia member in my game.
crocty at 9:44AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
The paranoid had the functional role of slowing the mafia down. The wouldn't lash out too much in fear of hitting the paranoid.

I mean BK literally quoted the Odyssey and any clue that pointed to me always had bread in it.

Was thinking of the mafia/townie thing too. I just couldn't think of a name. I think I could have said Mafia member in my game.

Yeah, that's the main reason I think the townies might have lost this game. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it'll be hard…6 kills in the same night, was it? D:

Okay, I didn't know the clues were that obvious…I didn't pay much attention to the first game narratives.

And yeah, I just said regular mafia member. But it just seems odd. Maybe civillian for normal townies, I'm clueless for the mafiosos, though…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Product Placement at 10:57AM, March 25, 2009
(online)
Now, this was my first game and I've only briefly looked over the other ones (just the first page to look at the roles, really) and it seems like each progressive game starts by giving the mafia a slightly more advantage.

The first game had only 4 mobsters, where only 2 of them could kill (plus the bomber who autokills two people when he dies.) In addition there was the vigilante who could only kill twice.
The townies had a number of people who made life difficult for the mobsters like the detective who could conclusively prove someones guilt or innocence, paramedic who could prevent death and paranoid who killed anyone who approached him. Imagine if one of the murdering mobsters gets killed by the paranoid. It becomes impossible to stop him now because you needed two guys to co-ordinate an attack on him and they'd only have one left.

With so many obstacles it's easy to realize that the game is very, very difficult for anyone playing on the mob side.

Fast forward today.

As the game progresses we end up with more and more bad guys to worry about.

Now we have 5 mobster (six if we count the bad random) where 3 of them have killing powers + the mad bomber is still around. In addition, There's one rival who kills every 3 days and a zombie that bites every day but it takes 3 days for the victim to die from his wounds.

The vigilante can now kill every day and has done so indiscriminately with bad results. At least when he only had x many kills to pull of he was forced to think carefully before committing such acts instead of throwing a 20 sided die and just wing it.

The clues, that were considered too easy in the previous games, now contain red herrings to throw people off so that they're practically guarantied to start accusing the wrong person at the beginning of the game, while they're getting used to the style of the new GM.

As a result we have 8 dead in two days and none of the casualties were mobsters or alternative villains. It means that right now there are more bad guys running around then good and the mobster can still kill 3 times a night. I think it's become quite hopeless for the townies to win this one.

If the game is too one sided for one team it's ok to adjust the rules to make it more challenging but if you keep raising the bar each time, eventually you'll end up with the same problem you started with, only reversed.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 11:05AM, March 25, 2009
(offline)
Thanks for summing it all up. PP . Could be worse. None of the mafia could know who each other were and end up killing each other.

Or there could be no mafia and we are dancing like puppets for the GM.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon