MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
Product Placement at 9:57AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Zeph
I don't watch many movies PP.

So it's no suprise I haven't seen God Father, getting me to sit down and watch a movie is like getting a cat to drive the car, very tedius, and annoying, and in the end its disasterous… as I walk away five minutes in cussing about how I'd rather be shot by a beanbag gun rather than sit through another cliche minute of lord of the rings.
Oh, fine. Since you seem to have some sort of movie watching intolerance, then I suppose it is your saving grace.

It's just that the Godfather is one of those movies that all men are suppose to be able to quote.

“Michael, you never told me you knew Johnny Fontane!”
“Sure, you want to meet him?”
“Well, yeah! Sure.”
“My father helped him with his career.”
“How did he do that?”
“ …Let's listen to the song.”
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Zeph at 10:16AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Anyway, did you enjoy the grid based game PP?

I was thinking of perhaps a few ways that it could work better perhaps, if it was ever used again.

Idea one: Exposed movements. Instead of hiding where the player moves, its told. Just like chess, you can clearly see where your opponent is moving. Could also be played with alternating turns versus alternating cycles. Like red team's attack phase is blue team's defense phase.

Attack and Defend really. So even though you know where the enemy is, that doesn't mean they can't run to a different space.

Idea 2: Battle Ship, instead of being able to fortify anywhere, each team has a series of bases that must be destroyed to achieve victory, like sinking all the opponent's battle ships. Movements would not be revealed.
Comic The Mutha Flippin God of Airsoft

Rockin the WTF face.
CLEARLY AN OUTRAGE! CLEARLY!
wait what?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:56PM
Rengishi at 10:45AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Guess Ill be in this new game coming up,I wuz Kinda akin like a ass last time
PSN account: OrangeDJ1
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
Product Placement at 11:10AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I liked the grid game that random set up, although I'm among very few who did. I got such a handy info gathering role that allowed me to keep taps on everything that was going on.

Can't get over the irony that niccea's base was in my bloody mansion.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 11:22AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Heh heh. Yeah… I thought it would be funny when I picked it.

Think those alterations may help with the things people didn't like about the grid game? the two I mentioned in my above post.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Product Placement at 11:40AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Can't say. We have rather limited experience running these types of games. The most popular complaint that players mention is that these games are confusing to them. That might scare some off.

I suppose I would be willing to try out the battleship thing… or the chess thing… either is good.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 11:47AM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I'm trying to figure out what the confusing part is.

You pick a space, and you attack it. It's like minesweep in a way.

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
harkovast at 12:07PM, July 20, 2010
(online)
Honestly Zeph, hearing it explained that way makes a lot more sense to me.
When I tried to read it from the original description I was trying to see it in terms of a regular mafia game and I got nowhere.
Also, I have a powerfully short attention span.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:44PM
Zeph at 12:12PM, July 20, 2010
(online)
I could probably put the gameplay in lameman's terms if it helps people

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Mettaur at 11:58AM, July 21, 2010
(offline)
Any ideas for my idea? You know, the buggies, the cats, and the humans?
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:05PM, July 21, 2010
(offline)
Zeph
I need to earn myself a title.

How about:

Zeph - the one with talent?

or…

Zeph - the one who if he doesn't draw us all something we'll throw him on top of the flag pole?

or…

Zeph - the zeph-miser big boom pow man?

or…

Zeph - the guy who never saw the godfather and never even found out what the horrseheading meant even though he never saw it like 1337 did.

or…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
Product Placement at 10:06AM, July 22, 2010
(online)
Speaking of titles, are we setting up the “Meet the townsfolk” comic? I thought Salsa was gonna start it but he hasn't yet so I can create it, if nobody else will.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Zeph at 10:12AM, July 22, 2010
(online)
PP gets the title of tied up.

-drives off on go-kart-

Rockin the WTF face.
wait what?
Niccea at 4:29PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
I had a really random idea for a mafia related project. Actually…it was Zeph's too…in a way.

What if we did something similar to this.

Like have the plot of a mafia game where you are the detective and going around solving clues.

I thought it would be interesting…

I already have some ideas for the set up…

Any one else interested? I was thinking about making a powerpoint in a couple of weeks to go through pacing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:14PM
crocty at 7:17PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
Niccea
I had a really random idea for a mafia related project. Actually…it was Zeph's too…in a way.

What if we did something similar to this.

Like have the plot of a mafia game where you are the detective and going around solving clues.

I thought it would be interesting…

I already have some ideas for the set up…

Any one else interested? I was thinking about making a powerpoint in a couple of weeks to go through pacing.
Yeah sounds great. I have dabbled in reading a few, but I'd never go through such fanboyness to set a picture of it as my avatar or signature.
….But no really this signature was just to creep out people swapping avatars and stuff as revenge! D:

…Yeah the idea's neat. :D
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
Niccea at 7:19PM, July 27, 2010
(offline)
Also, if the detective is shown, he will be one of my happy blobs. So it could be anyone.
Niccea at 4:05PM, July 29, 2010
(offline)
Ok. I need three volunteers to be Suspects for my Mafia Choose Your Own Adventure. Please tell me. Also, could you submit a bio about your Townston self?
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:00PM, July 30, 2010
(offline)
Volunteer!!!

Mercer should volunteer too.

1337-
Sick of always being the “funny guy” and always being a townie he decided that he would become more than that. He became…the vigilante! Using his powers he stalks the night defending the town from evil mafia men. BUT no one-including the detective-knows he is the vigilante and thus suspects him to be a murderer. Well he's right but 1337's a murderer for the good guys so he should be applauded rather than suspected.
Mettaur at 12:17PM, July 30, 2010
(offline)
I want in. Bio will be in later.
Been years since I was here. I've been at rehab since. So uh. Yknow, things got interesting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
Niccea at 3:26PM, July 30, 2010
(offline)
I have enough volunteers for now. Thank you very much to everyone. When I get the next chapter done I will send out the call again.
pastel at 2:22PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
From the Mafia XXXII thread:
Niccea
I know some other had some different mafia ideas that we have though might not fit with the mafia brand. I believe now would be a good time to host something a bit different. It just won't officially be Mafia XXXIII.

A proposal:

On an old forum I used to be a part of, we'd have ‘survival’ style games.
A special forum would be made for it and every few days, a new challenge was posted, and the winner would gain immunity.

The challenges would be stuff like, who gets the highest score in an online tetris game, or who can make the best looking graphic, or even aim/msn “quiz” shows where a mod asked questions and the first player that replied with the right answer got the point.

Anyway, after the challenges were over, everyone would pq their nominations to a mod to kick out one person for that day.

Underneath all this, players were allowed to make secret alliances to kick out certain people, or make pacts to be the last 2 in the game, and compete against each other in that last round. The catch is, all these pq's and aim conversations had to be recorded. At the end of the game, everyone posted all their old conversations in their own personal threads so everyone could see the deals that were made behind their backs.

One game I played in had one person make a pact with literally everyone in the game, and backstabbed every single one of them. When played ambitiously, the game gets really fun and competitive.

——

I'm mentioning this since it's similar to the mafia games, and as an alternative to the current way things are done. A lot of people seem to have lost interest in the game and that's a bit sad.

. K.A.L.A.-dan! Fujoshi! Mafia MASS MURDERER! Kitty and Pastel :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Niccea at 2:30PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
That would be a good idea to try out during the break. It is not exactly like mafia so it may work. Give people who just want too be competitive something fun to work at. There might be some issues when it comes to the actual voting phase, as you said, it is part of the game. If you want some separate space for it, we can use a comic's forum.
pastel at 4:42PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
Niccea
That would be a good idea to try out during the break. It is not exactly like mafia so it may work. Give people who just want too be competitive something fun to work at. There might be some issues when it comes to the actual voting phase, as you said, it is part of the game. If you want some separate space for it, we can use a comic's forum.

It'd be easy to make a new comic just for the game, and use the forum that comes with it.

But it's just an idea if people are tired of mafia.
Product Placement at 4:57PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(online)
It's going to be annoying to access the forum, since you'd have to first look up the comic and the access the forum from there (unless you create some sort of shortcut, like creating a stickied thread on forum games with a link location to the forum). Increased difficulty will mean less people that are willing to go there to play. Why can't a single survivor-esk game be contained in a single game thread?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
crocty at 6:41PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
Hm, a main problem that seems to have gone unadressed for ages is the matter that people simply lose interest in a game when they're plain townies.
I don't really remember how well the game went where everyone had roles, but that's one possible solution, though the mafia would have to be powered up too.

Or maybe some new rule could be introduced that gets everyone, even lame townies involved.

I don't know, but it is definitely a problem that needs addressing somehow.
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:54AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:46PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
My problem is that if we stop mafia it may never come back.

But adding a role that makes someone not a townie-like gives them something fun to do at the very least sounds like a good idea.
pastel at 8:06PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(offline)
crocty
Hm, a main problem that seems to have gone unadressed for ages is the matter that people simply lose interest in a game when they're plain townies.

This is a really big problem with the current mafia game.

In the games in the past where I had an actual role, I was more excited about the game to see the results of my actions. It was also more interesting since I was constantly on the lookout for clues that might out my identity.

As a townie however, there's little to no incentive for playing the game. Sure you can try to solve clues, but ultimately, you're just waiting to be killed on suspicion of being mafia. The major attitude will be, why even bother?
Product Placement at 10:01PM, Aug. 1, 2010
(online)
So what you guys are saying that you want another run of “madness continues”?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 6:45AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(offline)
The other side of the coin is the mafia usually hide behind the townies. It is easier for them, especially the godfather to do so, because the detective is blind to him. One “with it” mayor can find the all the mafia quickly during a role collection or at least have a narrow list of suspects.
Product Placement at 6:51AM, Aug. 2, 2010
(online)
That's why I downgraded the detective so that he could no longer distinguish between the roles. He can still realize if you're a criminal or not but the godfather now passes completely under his radar. It was done to stop the pro-town exploit of denying townies from running which made the game even more boring for them and to make it easier for the mafia to infiltrate the town.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon